Temp. Importing a Foriegn Reg. Mbike into Thailand

Met with the actual permit issuers earlier in the week in Bangkok. Off the record, with Thailand entry permit applications starting to get busy, they are asking for 60 days prior notice before entry in Thailand. We just tried to get a permit for a rider who wanted to come in in 2 weeks time and they said not possible, don't get cute if you have fixed itin. plans.

From your post, it seems that the border province restrictions/separate permissions for driving through other provinces have been lifted? Looks like as long as you apply well in advance (now it's 30 days min. with 45 days-60 days recommended) supply an itinerary and all the other required information then the permit can be processed.

From your post, it seems that the border province restrictions/separate permissions for driving through other provinces have been lifted? Looks like as long as you apply well in advance (now it's 30 days min. with 45 days-60 days recommended) supply an itinerary and all the other required information then the permit can be processed.

Yep, they are getting this more streamlined now and once the itin has been submitted and approved as part of the permit application, you can go to any province you want.

Yep, they are getting this more streamlined now and once the itin has been submitted and approved as part of the permit application, you can go to any province you want.

Phil

Just to clarify.

If I applied today, Sept 28th, the entry date on my itinerary should be no sooner than 45 days after Sept 28, ie Nov 11th

Correct ?

If actual approval then came in sooner than 45 days, lets say 30 days, could I enter Thailand prior to the entry date on my Itinerary ?

Phil

Just to clarify.

If I applied today, Sept 28th, the entry date on my itinerary should be no sooner than 45 days after Sept 28, ie Nov 11th

Correct ?

If actual approval then came in sooner than 45 days, lets say 30 days, could I enter Thailand prior to the entry date on my Itinerary ?

It is possible to get sooner, these are just guidelines to stop people getting cute and causing panics, calling embassies etc....

Give yourself plenty of time. Just cost this guy USD 1,000's

thip.PNG

True. May I also make a suggestion - getting angry like this guy solves nothing, this is Asia after all. It is understandable some people are frustrated, especially since this process is still new, but as Myanmar, China and certain other countries also require a long time to make arrangements, overlanders should expect the unexpected. As you say lots of advance planning is necessary - preferably before leaving your home country.

Another one in a mess. If they all go crying to their Embassies, when DLT isnt at fault, maybe they ban foreign motorcycles from all the hassle it causes?

thip2.PNG

Not implemented into law yet, but Thai DLT have indicated that a new law is coming, where all foreigners with a foreign vehicle will need someone from the Thai tour company issuing the permit to accompany them while they are in Thailand. It doesnt have to be a tour but you need to be supervised by a representative from the Thai tour company who has sponsored you.

All applications for Thai entry permits that are currently in process and recognized by Thai DLT will be grandfathered and fall under the old law (no supervision needed).

No date yet for the new law to be implemented.

Not implemented into law yet, but Thai DLT have indicated that a new law is coming, where all foreigners with a foreign vehicle will need someone from the Thai tour company issuing the permit to accompany them while they are in Thailand. It doesnt have to be a tour but you need to be supervised by a representative from the Thai tour company who has sponsored you.

All applications for Thai entry permits that are currently in process and recognized by Thai DLT will be grandfathered and fall under the old law (no supervision needed).

No date yet for the new law to be implemented.

Have they said why? Or just another money maker? Whats the issue when you can fly in and hire a bike without a guide! I really don't understand why they make life so difficult for people wanting to visit Thailand when its probably one of their biggest earners!

Wayne

Have they said why? Or just another money maker? Whats the issue when you can fly in and hire a bike without a guide! I really don't understand why they make life so difficult for people wanting to visit Thailand when its probably one of their biggest earners!

Wayne

Well you could also ask the Vietnamese, Chinese, Burmese, Cambodians and Lao (in the case of motorcycles only) the same question. They all have similar rules though in the case of Cambodia, they don't require a guide and generally turn a blind eye to foreign vehicles roaming the country if brought in through a border that allows them in (only 2 from Thailand, others uncertain).

However, keep in mind that foreign tourists bringing their own vehicles in for touring Thailand are only a tiny percentage of the visitor total, always have been. As you say, it's so much easier just to fly in (or bus in from a neighboring country) then rent a motorcycle (or car) once you're in Thailand.

All of these rules are about making money and control. However, unfortunately we don't make the laws and the Thais, like their counterparts in neighboring countries have decided to jump on the 'restrict foreign vehicles' bandwagon.

Thailand Dept. of Land Transport ONLY accept international driving permits that were issued under the 1949 Road Traffic Convention. They are not accepting the IDP's issued under the 1968 Road Traffic Convention. Not a massive problem, its means on the day you arrive in Thailand, you need to go to the Land Transport office near the border & get a Thai temporary driving license on arrival in Thailand. The reason they give is that USA, Japan & Australia do not accept the 1968 IDP and they are following suit. See examples attached. THEY ARE ASKING FOR ALL COVER PAGES OF IDP'S TO CHECK.

14963191_10155476860968345_624888188387594001_n.jpg

14937388_10155476861138345_8528778197515720372_n.jpg

A couple of important things regarding Use of foreign Vehicle in Thailand permits.

1. I've just confirmed this with Thai DLT and the maximum allowable days for the foreign vehicle in Thailand is 60 days in any calendar year as we knew. You can apply for as many permits as you want, so you could have 4x permits of 15 days in 1 calendar year if you wanted. Obviously each permit would carry the same costs. You have to enter/ exit each time.

Thailand permit - if you apply to stay in Thailand for say 12 days or 30 days the permit cost and procedure is the same. There has been some confusion over the conflict of expiry dates of the Dept. of Transport's permit to use the foreign vehicle in Thailand & the 30 days temporary import contract issued by Thai Customs at border entry. Advisory from Dept. of Transport is that the foreign vehicle has to leave Thailand before the permit expires, Thai Customs dates on their temporary import contract are irrelevant. So, some advice would be to apply for 30 days for your permit and then you have some free padding/ breathing space for problems - bike problems/ sick/ change of plans. You don't have to but worth considering. This has arisen by a rider saying when his permit has expired (he applied for less than 30 days) his bike can stay in Thailand in the back of a truck until the Thai Customs temporary import contract is expired. Dept. of Land Transport yesterday advised this is illegal.

Enforcement of non-conforming 1968 Road Regulation International Driving Licenses now being enforced

As of last week, Thai DLT are requiring those with 1968 road reg. IDP's to get Thai temporary driving licenses IN THE PROVINCE OF ENTRY (ie when you cross the border into Thailand, other provinces, like Chiang Mai will not issue this "tourist driving license").

What you are applying for is a "Temporary Thai Driving License for Tourism".

Below is what the DLT sent out :

เรียน โมโตเอเชีย

เนื่องจากกรมการขนส่งทางบกให้ความสำคัญในเรื่องความปลอดภัยในการใช้รถใช้ถนน จึงขอเรียนว่านักท่องเที่ยวที่ประสงค์จะขับขี่บนท้องถนนประเทศไทยจะต้องมีใบอนุญาตขับรถที่สามารถใช้ได้ในประเทศไทย โดยใบอนุญาตขับรถที่สามารถใช้ได้ในประเทศไทยนอกเหนือจากที่ออกโดยกรมการขนส่งทางบกมีดังนี้

1. ใบอนุญาตขับรถที่ออกโดยกลุ่มประเทศอาเซียน (Driving license issued by ASEAN countries)
  2. ใบอนุญาตขับรถสากลที่ออกตาม Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949
หากนักท่องเที่ยวมิได้ถือใบอนุญาตขับรถที่กล่าวในข้างต้น จะต้องดำเนินการขอรับใบอนุญาตขับรถชั่วคราว (อายุ 30 วัน) ณ สำนักงานขนส่งจังหวัดหรือสาขาในวันแรกที่เดินทางเข้าประเทศไทย ทั้งนี้ สามารถดูรายละเอียดการขอรับใบอนุญาตขับรถชั่วคราวตามเอกสารแนบ

อนึ่ง เลขอ้างอิงที่มีกำหนดการเดินทางเข้าประเทศไทยภายในสัปดาห์นี้ และต้องดำเนินการขอรับใบอนุญาตขับรถชั่วคราว มีดังนี้

Requirements to Qualify:

idp1 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

idp2 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

For those with IDP 1968 Road Regulation which isnt valid in Thailand:

License number "1" !!

The first Thai Temporary Tourist Driving License was issued today for Tak Province (ie Mae Sot entry). Interestingly was issued for 2 years which means if you have a IDP Road Reg. 1968, you will only have to do the Thai license once for two permit entries and even the year after if you come in again.

15220180_10155567879208345_8771727497462510021_n.jpg

If you have a IDP 1968 road regulation issue, if your domestic home country driving license is not in English, you will then need a notarized (they are saying by your embassy) copy of your home country domestic driving license translated into English or Thai.

You MUST have this currently at the border to enter Thailand, then you can get the Thai Temporary Tourist Driving License at the DLT office on the first day of entry into Thailand only in the province of entry.

When you enter Thailand, you will need to get a medical certificate from a hospital or clinic to qualify for the Thai temporary tourist driving license.

Last edited:
The news is slowly trickling out now about the compulsory/ mandatory supervision of ALL (not some ASEAN) vehicles that wish to enter/ transit Thailand.

In a few weeks there will be an official announcement by Thai DLT of this mandatory supervision requirement.

What we think will happen (this could change some assumptions here)

1. Announcement before the end of 2016 by Thai DLT of most foreign vehicles (some ASEAN no) needing to be supervised by the sponsoring Thai tour company for the whole duration of the foreign vehicles time in Thailand.

2. Once announced, there will probably be a grace period of around 2 months, for permit date entry applications, that were lodged with DLT before the new law announcement, allowing them to enter under the old permit regulation (Grandfathered). Even if your permit application was lodged before the new law announcement, if you requested a Thailand entry date for your permit several months in advance, with the cut off date coming, we think it looks likely that you will fall under the new law and need to be supervised by the Thai tour company. Be ready for this shocker (maybe).

3. By the end of 2016, the permit issuance will be handled by the border entry provincal DLT not Bangkok head office DLT any more.

4. Caravan/ group entries not mandatory. Single foreign vehicles will be allowed to enter Thailand supervised by the sponsoring Thai tour company.

The news is slowly trickling out now about the compulsory/ mandatory supervision of ALL (not some ASEAN) vehicles that wish to enter/ transit Thailand.

In a few weeks there will be an official announcement by Thai DLT of this mandatory supervision requirement.

What we think will happen (this could change some assumptions here)

1. Announcement before the end of 2016 by Thai DLT of most foreign vehicles (some ASEAN no) needing to be supervised by the sponsoring Thai tour company for the whole duration of the foreign vehicles time in Thailand.

2. Once announced, there will probably be a grace period of around 2 months, for permit date entry applications, that were lodged with DLT before the new law announcement, allowing them to enter under the old permit regulation (Grandfathered). Even if your permit application was lodged before the new law announcement, if your requested Thailand entry date for your permit, several months in advance, with the cut off, we think it looks like you will fall under the new law and need to be supervised by the Thai tour company. Be ready for this shocker (maybe).

3. By the end of 2016, the permit issuance will be handled by the local province DLT not Bangkok head office DLT any more.

Phil
So the exempt ASEAN countries would be Malaysia, Singapore and Laos ?
and possibly more in time, if the new rules motivate other ASEAN countires to sign agreements with Thailand ?

Phil
So the exempt ASEAN countries would be Malaysia, Singapore and Laos ?
and possibly more in time, if the new rules motivate other ASEAN countires to sign agreements with Thailand ?

Yes.

I wouldn't bet on the reciprocal agreements happening quickly.

Yes.

I wouldn't bet on the reciprocal agreements happening quickly.

I think Cambodia and Thailand have been talking about entering into a cross-border transport agreement for private cars for years, problem is that Cambodia doesn't see it as a priority and/or it doesn't really want large numbers of foreign vehicles (even those from neighboring countries) entering it's borders hence it has delayed the implementation again and again. Pretty sure the Thai government would be more than happy implementing an agreement with Cambodia right away - it's the Cambodians that are dragging their feet...

Cambodia and Thailand did manage to iron out an agreement for trucks and buses that is working out well (if you're ever traveling around the Chatuchak area of Bangkok either in the morning or evening you'll notice the Bangkok-Siem Reap and Bangkok-Phnom Penh buses either entering Bangkok or leaving - similarly late morning/early afternoon these buses can be seen in Sra Kaew province heading to/from Cambodia).

As for Myanmar, security concerns are the main reason they are not likely to enter into any agreement with Thailand for any vehicle type for the time being. This despite the fact that they could operate buses and trucks at least as far as Hpa-an/Mawlamyine or even Yangon from Bangkok, entering at Mae Sot/Myawady without any problems.

I too was wondering when the guide requirement would come into force. Thanks for your update, Phil.

I recently went on a trip to Myanmar and as I was crossing back to the Thai side (I had a car with driver during my time in Myanmar) in Mae Sot I met 3 motorcyclists, I already noticed them driving through Myawady around half an hour earlier and thought: "wow, a British number plate!" one bike was registered in Zurich, Switzerland, the second as mentioned British (the couple were driving from London to Australia) and the third bike registered in the UAE I think. They all had their permits and insurance. I asked one of the riders, an Aussie about the guide requirement and he knew nothing. I mentioned to him how I had read about it on this website but wasn't sure of if or when it will be entered into force. Seems that he doesn't read this website, lol. However, clearly if the guide requirement is only about to be announced then obviously it doesn't affect these three travelers, all of whom are staying in Thailand for about a month, before splitting up and variously moving onto Cambodia (the Swiss rider is heading there via Koh Kong), Laos and for the Aussie rider and his wife probably south towards Malaysia.

I had a meeting in Bangkok with DLT today this is what we know:

1. Law will probably be announced re guide requirement next week, they indicated 23rd December, 2016.
2. Applications WITH insurance already completed into DLT before that date and entering before the end of February 2017, should not need a Thai tour company accompanying them. Any permit where entry is March 2017 onwards need a guide.
3. After announcement all applications need guide.
4. Vehicle group less than 5 foreign vehicles 1 guide.
5. 5-15 vehicles 2 guides/ 2 guide vehicles.
6. 15 plus vehicles 3 guides.
7. Permit processing will be available at any Thai DLT office not in Bangkok as is currently.

Step in the right direction.
Hopefully Cambodia will soon move to a similar agreement that Laos/Malaysia/Singapore have with Thailand

Here is the actual link from the Phnom Penh post: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/agreement-increase-cross-border-vehicle-limit

Yes, I hope that will happen too. Cambodia and Thailand already have agreements covering buses and trucks (on a quota basis), hopefully cars (and perhaps motorcycles too) will be covered under the private vehicles category in the near future. After that, hopefully Myanmar and even Vietnam will get on board but I'm not counting on them agreeing to new terms anytime soon. Cambodia though, maybe.

As predicted the law change was announced today, now all new applications for foreign vehicles need to be supervised by a Thai registered tour company with inbound and outbound tour licenses.

The new law is only online in Thai currently, next week the English version will be completed. Need to confirm the 28th Feb 2017 cut off for permit applications in before new law not needing guide, they indicated that would be the case.

Slight change :

1-5 foreign vehicles 1 guide

6-15 2 guides. Can be 1 vehicle, 2nd guide in foreigners vehicle

16+ 3 guides

I had a meeting in Bangkok with DLT today this is what we know:

1. Law will probably be announced re guide requirement next week, they indicated 23rd December, 2016.
2. Applications WITH insurance already completed into DLT before that date and entering before the end of February 2017, should not need a Thai tour company accompanying them. Any permit where entry is March 2017 onwards need a guide.
3. After announcement all applications need guide.
4. Vehicle group less than 5 foreign vehicles 1 guide.
5. 5-15 vehicles 2 guides/ 2 guide vehicles.
6. 15 plus vehicles 3 guides.
7. Permit processing will be available at any Thai DLT office not in Bangkok as is currently.

We have confirmed 28th February, 2017 is the cut off for permits in before law change not needing a guide. Any changes can only be done today, then all permits no matter when in from 1st march, 2017 will need a guide.

As predicted the law change was announced today, now all new applications for foreign vehicles need to be supervised by a Thai registered tour company with inbound and outbound tour licenses.

The new law is only online in Thai currently, next week the English version will be completed. Need to confirm the 28th Feb 2017 cut off for permit applications in before new law not needing guide, they indicated that would be the case.

Slight change :

1-5 foreign vehicles 1 guide

6-15 2 guides. Can be 1 vehicle, 2nd guide in foreigners vehicle

16+ 3 guides

It seems that the Thai Powers that Be are doing their utmost best to kill the RTW traffic which use Thailand to cross from China to the south and the other way round as well as the East/West traffic.

Can anyone confirm if the new "Guide" law has gone into effect? I am coming to S.E. Asia mid February from the USA. I was planning to be in Thailand in March. I wanted to buy/rent a motorcycle in several countries starting in Hanoi on March 3. If I need a shadow while I'm in Thailand, I will skip it and spend more time in other countries. And I read that I would need to get a temporary drivers license the first day after crossing the border. I want to ride and see different cultures. I don't want to waste my time learning how transportation departments operate. I've spent a lot of time reading the forums. But I'd like some up to date info from those who know so I can solidify my plans.

23rd December, 2016 came into Thai law.

Can anyone confirm if the new "Guide" law has gone into effect? I am coming to S.E. Asia mid February from the USA. I was planning to be in Thailand in March. I wanted to buy/rent a motorcycle in several countries starting in Hanoi on March 3. If I need a shadow while I'm in Thailand, I will skip it and spend more time in other countries. And I read that I would need to get a temporary drivers license the first day after crossing the border. I want to ride and see different cultures. I don't want to waste my time learning how transportation departments operate. I've spent a lot of time reading the forums. But I'd like some up to date info from those who know so I can solidify my plans.

The new guide laws has come into effect. Last option to apply for a permit without guides was 23th december last year.
First of all - Laos, Malaysia and Singapore are excempts from these new thai laws, thus if you have a bike with plate from any of these countries you should be fine travelling in Thailand.
If you buy or rent a bike in Thailand you will of course not need a guide.

An international driving license has been mandatory for many years in Thailand. But as there are two kinds of IDPs and Thailand only has ratified one of them you need the one Thailand has ratified. And that is the 1949 convention, not yhe 1968 one.
Converting an IDP at the border is probably an issue for overlanders with an IDP from the 1968 convention. Probably not a big issue if you are renting or buying a bike inside the country.

Bringing a Vietnam-plated bike into Thailand has always been very difficult afaik. I wouldnt count that it will work out - although I have seen Vietnam plated bikes in Thailand. And this was before these new laws had come. Probably even more difficult now.

A thai plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia with some minor exceptions. First of all - if the bike is not registrated in your name you need a verified document from the owner that he/she allows you to take the bike out of the country.
To get into Laos the bike needs to be more than 150 cc (Laos dont let in smaller bikes than that from Thailand) The Lao province of Xayabouli dont let any foreign vehicles through for the moment. But there are many other and more conveniant places to cross into Laos so no worries for that point.
To cross into Cambodia from Thailand it seems that only two border crossings are open without permits and that is OSmach from Thailands Surin province and Hat Lek from Thailands Trat province. Other border crossings seem to demand permits from central authorities aquired beforhand. But beware - this is SEAsia and everything is a bit "floating"

A Vietnam plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia, but Im more doubtful about Thailand. I havent personally any experiences with this but when travelling in Laos and Cambodia I saw heaps of vietnam plated bikes in Laos and also a few in Cambodia - and they were ridden by western travellers. This was in 2015 so not that long ago. So this indicates it should be possible.

To sum it up:

A thai plated bike should give you accsess to Laos and Cambodia (and Malaysia and S'pore) with a few "buts"
A Vietnam plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia but probably not Thailand.

You could of course rent a bike in each and every country you want to ride in - it shouldnt be any problem as long as you fulfil the requirements of the rental company and you will not have any issues with borders and such laws and regulations.

The new guide laws has come into effect. Last option to apply for a permit without guides was 23th december last year.First of all - Laos, Malaysia and Singapore are excempts from these new thai laws, thus if you have a bike with plate from any of these countries you should be fine travelling in Thailand.If you buy or rent a bike in Thailand you will of course not need a guide.An international driving license has been mandatory for many years in Thailand. But as there are two kinds of IDPs and Thailand only has ratified one of them you need the one Thailand has ratified. And that is the 1949 convention, not yhe 1968 one. Converting an IDP at the border is probably an issue for overlanders with an IDP from the 1968 convention. Probably not a big issue if you are renting or buying a bike inside the country.Bringing a Vietnam-plated bike into Thailand has always been very difficult afaik. I wouldnt count that it will work out - although I have seen Vietnam plated bikes in Thailand. And this was before these new laws had come. Probably even more difficult now.A thai plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia with some minor exceptions. First of all - if the bike is not registrated in your name you need a verified document from the owner that he/she allows you to take the bike out of the country.To get into Laos the bike needs to be more than 150 cc (Laos dont let in smaller bikes than that from Thailand) The Lao province of Xayabouli dont let any foreign vehicles through for the moment. But there are many other and more conveniant places to cross into Laos so no worries for that point.To cross into Cambodia from Thailand it seems that only two border crossings are open without permits and that is OSmach from Thailands Surin province and Hat Lek from Thailands Trat province. Other border crossings seem to demand permits from central authorities aquired beforhand. But beware - this is SEAsia and everything is a bit "floating"A Vietnam plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia, but Im more doubtful about Thailand. I havent personally any experiences with this but when travelling in Laos and Cambodia I saw heaps of vietnam plated bikes in Laos and also a few in Cambodia - and they were ridden by western travellers. This was in 2015 so not that long ago. So this indicates it should be possible.To sum it up:A thai plated bike should give you accsess to Laos and Cambodia (and Malaysia and S'pore) with a few "buts"A Vietnam plated bike should give you access to Laos and Cambodia but probably not Thailand.You could of course rent a bike in each and every country you want to ride in - it shouldnt be any problem as long as you fulfil the requirements of the rental company and you will not have any issues with borders and such laws and regulations.

Good summary. May I add a few points:Sayaburi province entry points are good for cars only, no motorcycles except if you go on a tour approved by the local authorities. I was recently at Phu Doo where I crossed by car, there were 2 Thai motorcyclists there. Customs confirmed to me that a tour is required, even if only 1 motorcycle shows up. Cars no problem - Thailand and Laos share a cross border transport agreement. Nam Ngeun (Hongsa) apparently doesn't allow motorcycles or bicycles across at all, even if you go on a tour according to the last update I read. This may have since changed, but the least reliable border as far as crossing by motorcycle is concerned is Huay Kon/Nam Ngeun. Chiang Khong/Huay Xai seems to be OK for any size motorcycle, even below 150cc, but you need an escort to be allowed across the bridge and these stop before 6pm and cost 500Baht. The first Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai/Tha Na Laeng (Vientiane) only allows 250cc and above across heading into Laos, but coming back to Thailand any size is fine (for example, if you own a 110cc and entered via the fourth Friendship Bridge at Chiang Khong/Huay Xai you will be allowed to ride back into Thailand from Vientiane to Nong Khai. Vietnam/Laos borders: a bit uncertain for motorcycles as of late - some borders don't allow Laos bikes into Vietnam or vice versa. Generally you will have more success taking a Vietnamese bike into Laos than the other way round, but as you mentioned, it's SEA so rules (or their interpretation) change from border to border and official to official. In general, things are more consistent in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and less consistent in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I too saw Vietnamese plated bikes in Laos almost exclusively ridden by westerners, though I have no idea about how long those bikes have been in Laos since you only get 30 days temporary entry - I would not buy a foreign registered bike in any country in this region as there are too many potential problems you may encounter along the way. Better to buy a locally plated bike and then consider how to cross the border with it.BTW Thai (or non-Lao, non-Cambodian) plated bikes heading to Vietnam also need pre-approval and a guide, so Thailand is not unique in this regard; Vietnam has been imposing this requirement on Thai bikers/car drivers for years, Thailand is only getting the attention now because it's laws are still new (only 6 months old).

Thanks for your help. Great information. I have the 1949 IDP. Is that good enough for Thai, Cam, Viet, and Laos?
I guess I should rent a bike in Hanoi and ride. Fly to Chiang Mai and rent/ride. I know it seems like cheating. But flying would reduce border concerns. Fly to Phnom Penh and rent/ride.
I will probably fly to Kunming the end of March. My flight home is from Beijing on April 15.

Thanks for your help. Great information. I have the 1949 IDP. Is that good enough for Thai, Cam, Viet, and Laos?
I guess I should rent a bike in Hanoi and ride. Fly to Chiang Mai and rent/ride. I know it seems like cheating. But flying would reduce border concerns. Fly to Phnom Penh and rent/ride.
I will probably fly to Kunming the end of March. My flight home is from Beijing on April 15.

I am not sure what IDPs the different countries you mention requires. But there should be possible to find out online somewhere or by contacting the motor/automobil organisation that granted you your IDP. They should definetively know.

Renting in each country is probably a relatively good option - everything else considered. I see that you have less than 1,5 months for travelling - and from my own personal experiences it sounds quite much to bite over doing 3 different countries at that time, flying inbetween those countries, locate this and that, get ised to new places, countries and culture etc. Its better to take in things a litttle more slowly - in my personal opinion. Its better to have a couple of spare days in the end to relax than really be in a hurry at the end.
But then of course - not everybody are like me...

Have a nice trip!

With regard to the validity of the different IDP's in various countries go to: https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/files/travel/IDPRequirement.pdf

And Yes, flying in and renting a bike in the different countries seems to be a good option as the different countries (in particular Thailand) you plan to travel in are throwing up more and more administrative hurdles.

By the way, if you rent a bike in Thailand you don't have problems with a shadow - the same is true for Vietnam and to a certain extent also in Myanmar and China - rent a bike and you are free to go where you want but taking your own bike you will need a guide and a pre-approved itinerary.

and yes, I agree with Snakeboy - while on the trip, take your time and smell the roses instead of wanting to see everything there is in the country.

Thanks Snakeboy. I appreciate that opinion. And I know it is good advice for the majority of people. And I would like to travel at a more sane pace. I have ridden around the world and from the top of Alaska to Ushuaia. I like to see things. And my wife doesn't complain much about me being gone on my rides. So I travel at a faster pace. That way she doesn't say "no" the next time I want to travel. India/Nepal are on my bucket list. And Antarctica. After doing my sampler trips I can go back and visit the same areas at a relaxed speed if I want. You say it is better to have a few spare days at the end to relax. I always have that. But mine are after I get home to my recliner.

With regard to the validity of the different IDP's in various countries go to: https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/files/travel/IDPRequirement.pdf

And Yes, flying in and renting a bike in the different countries seems to be a good option as the different countries (in particular Thailand) you plan to travel in are throwing up more and more administrative hurdles.

By the way, if you rent a bike in Thailand you don't have problems with a shadow - the same is true for Vietnam and to a certain extent also in Myanmar and China - rent a bike and you are free to go where you want.

Myanmar was never on my radar. I thought they had too many problems with militants there. Weren't some police killed there recently? Is Myanmar any different than the Chaing Mai area?
I know China doesn't recognize the IDP. But many have ridden without spending the time getting a temporary license. I am a little concerned about what may happen at provincial check points.

Are you the same "Lone Rider" that's on ADVrider? Latin America Rider Rally?

[FONT=&quot]If you're a foreign vehicle entering Thailand & new problem is developing. Because some countries vehicle registration documents do not expire, Thai DLT in the last 2 days are requesting us to show them valid "domestic road tax" proof and valid vehicle inspection certificates, which would be needed for your domestic registration to be valid/ legal, so needed qualify for a Thai entry permit. This has only happened in the last we are try to find a solution as this will be an issue for many overlanders. Also if its not in English, a translation notarized by your embassy will be needed.

[/FONT]
15895121_10155722906168345_2423727111050019891_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom