Temp. Importing a Foriegn Reg. Mbike into Thailand

I will, however this is kund of pre-arranged with a friend at immigration as i have a house in Vietnam, so it will be out of the ordinary

Hi... I got a quote from a custom's agent, t st tbe import charges are around 23000 thb, don't really understand his idea and not going to use him but rather go myself.

Ivam only taking it in for less than 30 days, there should be no cost involved as it is tax-free.

Any ideas? thanks

Has anyone kept their bike her over 6months and been forced to pay the whole guarantee sum?

Has anyone kept their bike her over 6months and been forced to pay the whole guarantee sum?

big big risk.. I know someone who ended up in a south american jail.. His harley was on temp import and hidden in storage.. They eventually got the issue solved but it wasnt just a small fine, was a big big under table payment but it was a 1.5 mil type harley.

You could ride it out get rid of the import certificate and cross back and not get a new certificate

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Just want to let everyone know, i got smoothly through the process, even with only the 30 days exemption stamp. I got my bike out of customs within 1 day, paid nothing at all.

You could ride it out get rid of the import certificate and cross back and not get a new certificate

That possibly is becoming harder than it was.. Lots of those ferry town points were pretty loose before.. Maybe less so now.

- - - Updated - - -

good idea, but I cant ride anything anywhere at the moment, ...

When is your last day ??

If it comes to it maybe I can trailer it for you..

Chiang Khong still very loose as the customs and immigration is at the bridge and the onus is on you to comply as single bikes have to use the ferry

Chiang Khong still very loose as the customs and immigration is at the bridge and the onus is on you to comply as single bikes have to use the ferry

The issue in my mind is the inability to reverse the process.. The customs and immigration being pretty tight there by calling back to the bridge to check you just did an exit there.

Been searching on the internet but can't find a definite answer. Where are the Customs offices in Bangkok for extending the tempory imports doc? Is it Khlong Toey AND Swampy airport?

Looking into this idea for the first time. Thanks

Guys

I am asking for someone else, Does anyone know of any places/firms in BKK where you can get bike insurance on your temp imported non Thai registered bike.

Cheers
Wayne

Not in BKK but i use a broker in Pattaya who should be able to get you sorted pretty quick.

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD

038 415 795-6

Guys

I am asking for someone else, Does anyone know of any places/firms in BKK where you can get bike insurance on your temp imported non Thai registered bike.

Cheers
Wayne

Any Thai Govt, land/ motor vehicles office has a insurance agent at its premises, they can issue you the cptl liability insurance.

I recently have investigated a bit but it seems that it is only possible to get the basic accident insurance for a foreign plated bike in Thailand?!
A 3rd party damage coverage does not seem possible?

I recently have investigated a bit but it seems that it is only possible to get the basic accident insurance for a foreign plated bike in Thailand?!
A 3rd party damage coverage does not seem possible?

And only for a Max of 6 months but I would imagine you can renew the policy
cost was 500 B for 1 month or 6 for a 650cc bike.

I am sure I got more than just the basic cover when I came over from China on a bike, but i would recommend Marcel if you need further information you could pop into Chaing Khong to a insurance company who does all the insurance covers for Chinese Cars/bikes.

It's on the main road heading into town from the bridge, as you come to the first 7/11 on the left which is on a right hand bend, the insurance shop is about 150 meters before the 7/11 on the right.

If someone knows what you can or can't have this shop will know

Hope the map helps in locating the shop

x1x1.jpg

Thanks Prince666, will check with the CK insurance shop.

Probably best to move the discussion to here from this important thread about new temporary import regulations for foreign motorcycles into Thailand (as of 27th June, 2016, Laos,Malaysaia & Singapore registered bikes are exempt). Details are in the thread below then come back here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...rt-foreign-reg-bike-chiang-mai.html#post59660

More here too:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/showthread.php?t=8051&p=58840&viewfull=1#post58840

Just come from Thai Customs with the detailed new law put in place by Thai Land Transport Office. They did confirm for the second time that the new law is being enforced for motorcycles at Thailand international border crossings NOW, some say otherwise.

Important details:

1. At first it looked like impossible to transit Thailand with the first draft saying that in and out of the same international border is compulsory. Thai LT office says that exceptional circumstances will be considered on a case by case basis to enter and leave Thailand at different border crossings. The application must be made AT LEAST 30 days before entry into Thailand. Application can only be considered at the Thai Land Transport Government office in Bangkok. So riding and transiting Myanmar still possible with a foreign motorcycle.

Thai page of the law is below:

P_20160630_143315.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

2. 3,500 KG limit, no exceptions it looks like.

3. Temporary Thai driving license (aimed at the Chinese) can be obtained at the provincial Land Transport office. IE Can be obtained in Chiang Khong.

4. Only Thai tour companies with inbound and outbound tour licenses can obtained the permits. Must be submitted 10 days before entry into Thailand.

The new detailed law is attached below, only in Thai at the moment

Attachments

• foreign bike entry ประกาศ 76.2559.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 402
Last edited:
The motorcycles currently stuck at the Cambodia/ Thai international border (stuck on the Cambo side), have been told they need the Thai permit to enter Thailand. Also Thai Land Transport office is telling them they need a letter from their Embassy confirming their itinerary in Thailand and then will let them exit Thailand through a different international border crossing, looks like are waiving the 30 day in advance condition in this situation as they are the first under the new implemented law.

The Swiss rider stuck at the Cambodian border trying to get into Thailand had a go at trying to use his Embassy as a trump card but got no-where:

Hello everyone. I am Part of the Group stuck in cambodia right now. I had to escalate the issue at a higher Level, engaging the embassy in it. We Suffer from a lack of clear and complete information, since they did not mention the case for motorbike overlanders. I have been in direct contact with the headquarter of DLT in Bangkok for the sake of clarification. I will post a Hubb topic where i will consolidate all Information I have. But at the time of writing, there is no option else than applying for a permit. Dont think about attempting à border cross without it, or bribe. You will loose your time. More later

The new Thailand entry law (especially 30 days in advance application to transit Thailand/ enter-exit through different international border crossings), is causing some big headaches for overlander's that have contracted to transit Myanmar or are currently in Myanmar & were planning to enter and transit Thailand.

The 30 day advance application law detail, was only announced on 28th June, 2016, so many overland travelers already had concrete paid committed plans in place in regard to Thailand transit. Some are in different countries and are unable to extend their immigration visa's to allow for the 30 day advance application for different Thailand entry-exit international borders, big problem.

Over the next couple of weeks most travelers will be aware of the new laws and will be able to make advanced applications, so this new hurdle should then quiet down.

Regarding the new temporary import rules for foreign registered motorcycles, cars & trucks, a useful letter from Thai Customs that has contact details:

We would like to inform that the Department of Land Transport has a new regulation for temporary import personal vehicle in Thailand (effective from 27 June, 2016)
you can see this regulation athttp://tta.customs.go.th/Announce/Summary.pdf and this regulation include motorbike as well, but the documents on topic 4 (Submitting Application) must be submitted by travel agency to DLT no less than 30 working days before the date of entry.
**You can directly contact Department of Land Transport at Tel:66(0) 2271 8805-6 or email: pr.dlt1584@gmail.com.

In part of Customs, after you have allowed from DLT and arrived Thailand, you have to show The Temporary Permit and minimum documents below to Customs at the border,
- A Vehicle Registration Certificate;
- An Identification card and passport of the master of the vehicle, including an international driving license;
- A Letter of Attorney, in case where the master of the vehicle does not own the vehicle;
- An application form for the temporary import of personal vehicles;
- Evidence of purchase e.g. a proforma invoice, invoice, etc;
- A Re-Export Contract; and
- Other relevant documents (if any)
Afterwards, the Customs officer will print out A Special Goods Declaration for you at time of import.

You can see more information of import procedure of Customs athttp://en.customs.go.th/content.php…
Best Regards,
Anicha Chuenjaroen
Customs Call Center
Building 9, 1st Flr.
The Customs Department,
1 Sunthornkosa Road, Klong Toey,
Bangkok, 10110, THAILAND.
Tel.+66(0)2 667 7991, 1164 (Hotline)
Fax.+66(0)2 667 7993
E-mail : 1164@customs.go.th"

With the vastly restrictive, new foreign vehicle entry law, requiring notice before entry into Thailand now in place, some have had to use the Embassy trump card to get into Thailand at short notice:

2 hours back - I crossed 4 women riders (KTM Duke 390) and one Innova logistic vehicle at Poipet border - from Cambodia to Thailand. We came here yesterday morning and got badly stuck. It took me a tremendous 36 hours to get this going through Minstry, Indian Embassy, Diplomats and DG Transport.
My opinion is - had it not been from the Govt of India and Embassy good offices - it was impossible to get across. Very rude and unreasonable this one is. I had carnet which they almost threw away. The riders are on their way to Bangkok as i write this one.

More here:
Bad news for overland Travel to Thailand in view of new Rule by DLT, Thailand ( Dept of Land Transport).
You now need to apply 40 days (30 working days) before, need Thai Doctor medical check up, may be a driving test and a whole lot of stuff .. As of now there are more than 50 riders or road trippers stuck on various sides of Thai border - due to this implementation of tourist un-friendly rule.
Nepal- Bhutan - Myanmar - Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia - Singapore.
The plan was to enable another set of riders to return back from Singapore to India. All that looks bleak now - crossing borders at Thailand is now the most difficult part in ASEAN.
A week back ( 26 June) our riders crossed over from Myanmar to Thailand with no problems at all - then they rode through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and came back to enter Thailand. The riders came here yesterday morning and got badly stuck, due to this new rule position about DLT permits.
It took them a tremendous 36 hours to get this passage through. They even had to spend a night at the border. Yeomen efforts of Dr. Sarika Mehta with - Foreign Ministry, Indian Embassy in Bangkok, Number of Diplomats and DG DLT, Thailand - in moving this expedition forward. The first one to cross the border, with special permit passage, since the new rule came in.
I thank God and our diplomatic community - that about 3 hours back - the 4 women riders (KTM Duke 390) and one Innova logistic vehicle at Poipet border - crossed over from Cambodia to Thailand.
The social media is full of apprehensions and negative reviews about this new rule that has come to force. This will surely hit the good reputation of Thailand as a tourist friendly destination.
In our case - my opinion is - had it not been from the Govt of India and Embassy good offices - it was impossible to get across. Very rude and unreasonable this rule is.
I had carnet which they almost threw away. The riders are now on their way to Bangkok as i write this one. So 30 days application, Thai Doctor's inspection, Driving test etc - is a very unreasonable stuff they have come up with. This will surely hit the overland travel to Thailand.
Another issue is that as of today - the procedures of who will do it, who would sign it, what the format would be - is all in transition and being worked out. It took our supporters many hours to find who would finally act on our requests.
Since we suffered, I thought of writing this advisory. This Road to Thailand is not an easy road trip any more. It was pretty adventurous to be stuck in the cusp of things.

Last edited:
Thailand Land Transport meeting today, hopefully this clarifies the foreign motorcycle entry procedures into Thailand:

Overland to Thailand - New regulation for foreign vehicle

1. Some contextual infoOn 6th of July, a meeting with the Head of Division of International Land Transport Departement inBangkok and myselfhas been organized in order to discuss about various issues and consequencesof this new law for overland travellers.

This meeting was organizing from their initiative.----------In order to keep the story short, I was traveling along with other friends in Cambodia when the lawwas enforced on 27th June 2016. I decided to use all mean in order to have the permit processboosted up, as very few time was given for me and my friends to start transiting Thailand asexpected. Contact has been taken with the Department of Land Transportation Headquarter, thesituation explained, and my embassy engaged (special thanks to the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok).

Given that the new regulation creates more problems than it solves, a Facebook group has beencreated to spread the message and collect the maximum informations and inquiries from current andfuture travellers seeking to go in Thailand.I flew from Siem Reap to Bangkok and attented the meeting raising all issues we bring together.The meeting was very pleasant, and the authorities showed a strong interest for us to help themenhance their new system and regulation. Yes… The DLT does not work tightly together withCustoms and Immigration department.

So they were doing their first experience on regulatingforeigners whiling to drive their own vehicle car in Thailand.Important to say : in the past, there was an big nationwide issue where chinese travellers on theirown vehicle were involved in a dramatic accident which did generate Thai casualities. The faultivedrivers did escape and passed the border back to China, where they couldn't be facing justice.

Thenew law is a response to these kind of acts. Too many foreigners do not take care for 3rd partyinsurance in case of such events, allthough the law does require it.

2. The new regulation for us overland travellers currently enforcedAll informations given here is the result of a series of question/answer I could raise during themeeting.- All types of foreign vehicles are allowed to drive in Thailand : Motorcycle, cars, Camper van (<3.5t), camper trucks (> 3.5t)- An international Driving permit is mandatory- A 3rd party vehicle insurance is mandatory.

This should be organized from the travel agency. Theinsurance usually costs around 40-50 USD and lasts 1 year. Minimum 1'000'000 baht damage mustbe covered.- A 3rd party person insurance is mandatory. This insurance is very common to have in our owncountry tho- There is currently no multiple entry. But the process is easyier : For the first permit, you have toapply the usual way. Once your data is registered into their system, applying a second permit isstraightforward and does not require doing the whole process again.

This is the part you have to besure the travel agency doesn't charge the same way as the first application. It is allthough importantto inform at beginning the intended route and timeframe. The 3rd party insurance must cover bothintended period.- No guided tour is mandatory. You enter and you are free to go wherever you have stated in your application process.- There is no need of proof of purchase of the vehicle- You can entry and exit at 2 different borders. You must state clearly on the permit applicationwhich border you enter and which you will exit.- In case of overstay (health of vehicle issues), you have to inform the DLT accordingly.

There areno consequences as far as they are informed about the situation.- the 30 days application process can be lifted. You need to contact your agency AND DLT in orderto explain our case. They do take your case seriously.

3. How to applyThe DLT gave me the reference of a tour agency whiling to process the permit. Allthough they werein the learning curve, they could apply the permit in the online system successfully. By the time ofwriting, the process is still being consolidated and needs some training for them.Aran Sisophon TravelContact person: Mrs. Tip (+66) 0810013353Facebook : Aran Sisophon Travel & ToursThe price shall be around 5000 baht for a set. That means for everything (insurance, application,and so on) for one vehicle.

Important : In order to help the process, especially if you are in a difficult situation (e.g. 30 daysproblem), contact directly the Headquarter of DLT through Email. I am unfortunately not allowed togive their direct phone number in here :Headquarter of Department of Land Transportation in BangkokInternational Transport Affairs Groupinternational.dlt@gmail.com Ask for Mrs. Sawita. State very clearly you are an overland traveller. They know the rest of the whole story from now on ;-) ,,, www.RideAsia.net

4. What's next ? For my surprise, they took very seriously certain suggestion I have done in order to makeeveryones life easyier. They will be discussing with the higher authorities about making theirsystem granting us a permit with a large period of validity and cumulated stay of 60 days. Thatmeans, no need to apply for two permits if needed to cross the country twice. Additionally, the fixedborder restriction might be lifted. So lets cross fingers and hope for the best.This document might be corrected if required. Please inform me of any additional stuff that has tobe inserted/corrected here. Also, feel free to share

Last edited:
Fantastic updates, Phil. Thanks once again.

My opinion is, the new rules were brought in to enforce order and enhance safety, both for local road users and that of tourists. It is not an unreasonable directive whatsoever, just that it's launch could have been handled better. For all the various news stories over the past few months in the Thai and English language media (and social media), there was complete silence when the new rules went into effect on June 27th. I would have expected a major headline in the Bangkok Post such as "New DLT rules requiring advance permission to bring foreign vehicles into Thailand go into effect today". A couple of short articles published by one or two Thai dailies (one of which was Thairath) was all that has been published since, no wonder many tourists/overlanders have been caught out.

There should be notices posted at the land borders, on both sides of the border with Thailand, and information posted on the websites of all Thai consulates and embassies worldwide, along with notices posted inside the consular offices when tourists apply for visas. At least for a few months until tourists become familiar with the new rules, not that they get stuck like some of the tourists mentioned here.

I think it's great that the embassies of these countries intervened to allow the tourists entry, but this should be considered a one-off that won't be repeated every time this happens. In the case of the Indian group, there is no way they could use this trump card for entering Vietnam or Myanmar. Those countries require advance notice (in the case of Vietnam 15 days and Myanmar 21 days at the very minimum) and a guided tour and I'm almost certain asking your embassy to intervene so you can enter now, wouldn't work. Driving your own vehicle into another country is not a right, but a privilege. Hence why I only have sympathy insofar as that group was caught out by the new rules, but I don't think calling it "rude and unreasonable" is in order. Try driving any vehicle from the Thai side to Poipet and see how far you get. The Cambodians will not allow you entry at this border without advance notice, no matter how much you huff and puff. I think Thai officials are very reasonable and much more tourist friendly than some of their neighbors.

Now I would totally support changes in the rules that no longer restrict you to the border province entered. However, as per the various links supplied here and the ones I've read, it is not a difficult matter to plan a trip well in advance, which would thus allow you to ride/drive across multiple provinces and exit at another border.

Overland to Thailand - New regulation for foreign vehicle1. Some contextual info
On 6th of July, a meeting with the Head of Division of International Land Transport Departement in Bangkok and myselfhas been organized in order to discuss about various issues and consequences of this new law for overland travellers. This meeting was organizing from their initiative.
----------
In order to keep the story short, I was traveling along with other friends in Cambodia when the law was enforced on 27th June 2016. I decided to use all mean in order to have the permit process boosted up, as very few time was given for me and my friends to start transiting Thailand as expected. Contact has been taken with the Department of Land Transportation Headquarter, the situation explained, and my embassy engaged (special thanks to the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok).
Given that the new regulation creates more problems than it solves, a Facebook group has been created to spread the message and collect the maximum informations and inquiries from current and future travellers seeking to go in Thailand.

1. I flew from Siem Reap to Bangkok and attented the meeting raising all issues we bring together. The meeting was very pleasant, and the authorities showed a strong interest for us to help them enhance their new system and regulation. Yes&#8230; The DLT does not work tightly together with Customs and Immigration department. So they were doing their first experience on regulating foreigners whiling to drive their own vehicle car in Thailand.
Important to say : in the past, there was an big nationwide issue where chinese travellers on their own vehicle were involved in a dramatic accident which did generate Thai casualities. The faultive drivers did escape and passed the border back to China, where they couldn't be facing justice. The new law is a response to these kind of acts. Too many foreigners do not take care for 3rd party insurance in case of such events, allthough the law does require it.

2. The new regulation for us overland travellers currently enforced
All informations given here is the result of a series of question/answer I could raise during the meeting.

- All types of foreign vehicles are allowed to drive in Thailand : Motorcycle, cars, Camper van (< 3.5t), camper trucks (> 3.5t)
- An international Driving permit is mandatory
- A 3rd party vehicle insurance is mandatory. This should be organized from the travel agency. The insurance usually costs around 40-50 USD and lasts 1 year. Minimum 1'000'000 baht damage must be covered.
- A 3rd party person insurance is mandatory. This insurance is very common to have in our own country tho
- There is currently no multiple entry. But the process is easyier : For the first permit, you have to apply the usual way. Once your data is registered into their system, applying a second permit is straightforward and does not require doing the whole process again. This is the part you have to be sure the travel agency doesn't charge the same way as the first application. It is allthough important to inform at beginning the intended route and timeframe. The 3rd party insurance must cover both intended period.
- No guided tour is mandatory. You enter and you are free to go wherever you have stated in your application process.

- There is no need of proof of purchase of the vehicle
- You can entry and exit at 2 different borders. You must state clearly on the permit application which border you enter and which you will exit.
- In case of overstay (health of vehicle issues), you have to inform the DLT accordingly. There are no consequences as far as they are informed about the situation.
- the 30 days application process can be lifted. You need to contact your agency AND DLT in order to explain our case. They do take your case seriously.

3. How to apply
The DLT gave me the reference of a tour agency whiling to process the permit. Allthough they were in the learning curve, they could apply the permit in the online system successfully. By the time of writing, the process is still being consolidated and needs some training for them.
Aran Sisophon Travel
Contact person: Mrs. Thip +66 (0) 8100 13353
25 Suwannasorn rd, Aranyaprathet , Sakaew 27120
Tel:+66 37 232 383 -4
Mobile: +66 8130 21709
Khun Ratree Sangrungreung
License No. 11 /03962

ransisophon@hotmail.com

aran_sisophon@yahoo.com

Facebook : Aran Sisophon Travel & Tours
The price shall be around 5000 baht for a set. That means for everything (insurance, application, and so on) for one vehicle.
Important : In order to help the process, especially if you are in a difficult situation (e.g. 30 days problem), contact directly the Headquarter of DLT through Email or cc them if you write to the agency. I am unfortunately not allowed to give their direct phone number in here :
Headquarter of Department of Land Transportation in Bangkok
International Transport Affairs Group
international.dlt@gmail.com
Ask for Mrs. Sawita. State very clearly you are an overland traveller. They know the rest of the whole story from now on ;-)

4. What's next ?
For my surprise, they took very seriously certain suggestion I have done in order to make everyones life easyier. They will be discussing with the higher authorities about making their system granting us a permit with a large period of validity and cumulated stay of 60 days. That means, no need to apply for two permits if needed to cross the country twice. Additionally, the fixed border restriction might be lifted. So lets cross fingers and hope for the best.This document might be corrected /enhanced if required. Please inform me of any additional stuff that has to be inserted/corrected here. Also, feel free to share.

lawrence.michel@swissonline.chCheersLawrence

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1024579897597702/

Some important updates from Thai Customs today. Some of this conflicts with what Thai Customs Bangkok are telling foreigners.

1. Customs officer called Bangkok Port, the Thai Customs officer at the port said that the permit would be required for foreign motorcycle arriving in Thailand at the port.

2. Foreign motorcycle entry at Thai airport. The latest answer from Customs in Chiang Mai is that permit is needed for foreign motorcycle entering Thailand by air. They seem to hint that if you enter and exit by air, then maybe permit not needed, but an unknown right now, not tested.

3. If your foreign motorcycle entered Thailand before 27th June, 2017, Chiang Mai Customs have changed their mind and now will extend your temporary import month by month up to 6 months max.

4. Customs Chiang Mai, say that applications for foreign motorcycle permit need to be applied for by Thai tour company at Land Transport in Bangkok, whereas cars can have permits issued at Land Transport Office in the province of entry.

First motorcycle permit to enter Thailand was issued and used today. The chap had a visa exempt entry into Thailand (ie no visa) so was issued 15 day permit for the foreign motorcycle.

Thanks for all updates and information provided. Much appriciated.

1. Then - would you guys think that an extension og 30 days will be easy to get in addition to the first initial 30 days?

2. Would one be allowed to roam free in all 76 provinces of Thailand within this period?

3. Lets say one have a first stay in Thailand and exit before 31th December - would a second stay be granted after 1th January?
For example travelling from Australia to Europe (or opposite direction) coming in from Malaysia, spend some time and travel in Thailand - then exit to visit Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam - and then back through Thailand and into Myanmar and continue towards Europe?

1. Then - would you guys think that an extension of 30 days will be easy to get in addition to the first initial 30 days?

Will find out Monday how the additional/ possible 30 days more in one calendar year will be issued. The permits issued look quite explicit, so it looks like currently a new permit will be needed from a Thai tour company. Thai Customs saying there maybe a revamp of the law in 2 months.

2. Would one be allowed to roam free in all 76 provinces of Thailand within this period?

If your documented ITIN states accommodation, I cant see why it wont be approved (you can go in-out different international borders with 30 days prior application).

3. Lets say one have a first stay in Thailand and exit before 31th December - would a second stay be granted after 1th January?
For example travelling from Australia to Europe (or opposite direction) coming in from Malaysia, spend some time and travel in Thailand - then exit to visit Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam - and then back through Thailand and into Myanmar and continue towards Europe?

New permit / less than 60 days in a calendar year in Thailand are the important laws.

Thanks for answer KTMPhil

Just a little information about myself and my situation as for now - Im a norwegian that rode my bike from Norway to Thailand, spent a good bit of time in Asia, especially in Thailand. Then I rode to Australia where I currently stay.
I initially planned to ride back to Thailand and spend 3-4-5 months there (november/december to march/april-ish) and then ride back to Europe. But as the uncertainess of the new rules for foreign vehicles in Thailand I have started planning to ship my bike to south-America in stead. Which wouldnt be a bad alternative - but Im still keen on doing it the initial way I planned. This will mean I must be able to enter Thailand, spend some time there, ride the bike to a storage place in Cambodia (already arranged) then go back and pick the bike up later and ride it back into Thailand and exit through Myanmar and back to Europe.
I would also be very keen on moving quite freely around in Thailand. To stick to a itinerary made several months before doesnt seem appealing to me at all.

So 2 and 3 are still a bit dodgy to me.

Ad 2 - Travelling/roaming freely will not be allowed as far as I understand it. You will have to stick to an itinerary and show bookings for accomodation all the way? I personally have friends many places in Thailand and would stay in in their places for 30-50 % of an estimated time in Thailand. Would that be accepted by thai authorities?

Ad 3 - In Michel Lawrences post from his meeting with the Land Transport Department it is mentioned that a second permit will be much easier to obtain as ones data is already stored in the system. So what I understand of it is that it should be easy peacy to get this second permit granted. And thus one stay late 2016 and another early 2017 should be possible?

Any thought about this?

Thanks for answer KTMPhil

Just a little information about myself and my situation as for now - Im a norwegian that rode my bike from Norway to Thailand, spent a good bit of time in Asia, especially in Thailand. Then I rode to Australia where I currently stay.
I initially planned to ride back to Thailand and spend 3-4-5 months there (november/december to march/april-ish) and then ride back to Europe. But as the uncertainess of the new rules for foreign vehicles in Thailand I have started planning to ship my bike to south-America in stead. Which wouldnt be a bad alternative - but Im still keen on doing it the initial way I planned. This will mean I must be able to enter Thailand, spend some time there, ride the bike to a storage place in Cambodia (already arranged) then go back and pick the bike up later and ride it back into Thailand and exit through Myanmar and back to Europe.
I would also be very keen on moving quite freely around in Thailand. To stick to a itinerary made several months before doesnt seem appealing to me at all.

So 2 and 3 are still a bit dodgy to me.

Ad 2 - Travelling/roaming freely will not be allowed as far as I understand it. You will have to stick to an itinerary and show bookings for accomodation all the way? I personally have friends many places in Thailand and would stay in in their places for 30-50 % of an estimated time in Thailand. Would that be accepted by thai authorities?

Ad 3 - In Michel Lawrences post from his meeting with the Land Transport Department it is mentioned that a second permit will be much easier to obtain as ones data is already stored in the system. So what I understand of it is that it should be easy peacy to get this second permit granted. And thus one stay late 2016 and another early 2017 should be possible?

Any thought about this?

According to that meeting, Michel Lawrence mentioned on the Facebook page he created that once you have the permit (assuming it's the one that allows you to exit at a different border), you can go wherever you like. Since he was the one who received the first permit, perhaps you could ask him how he's going? I believe he's currently somewhere in Thailand.

I am fairly confident that the rules allow you to go where you want, within the allocated period the permit is valid for, provided you leave the country through the checkpoint mentioned on your permit. No one is saying you have to follow a set itinerary. You WILL however, be required to do so for Myanmar. Roaming freely will thus continue to be allowed, unlike in the case of Myanmar, where it has never been allowed so far and is unlikely to be allowed anytime in the foreseeable future.

I have no idea about the accommodation part for the itinerary. Wouldn't it be possible just to write up an approximate itinerary, mentioning cities/towns/provinces but not booking hotels? I would think so - you could always just say on November 16, I will be staying in Prachuab at my friend's house, on November 18 in Bangkok at another friend's house from November 21-23 in Chiang Mai at an undetermined hotel.

The second permit is likely to be more easily granted but what was probably meant by that was they will make it easier for travelers who need to transit Thailand more than once in a short period to enter. So if you enter Thailand from Malaysia in order to go to Myanmar and then back to Thailand, onto Laos, Vietnam then China meaning two transits of Thailand the second permit can be taken care of when you apply for the first one.

BTW you might want to check with a Myanmar travel agency about transiting the country and leaving for India. I read on Lonely Planet's Thorntree that no permits are currently being issued for crossing the Indian border at Tamu. A lot more planning will be required for your trip across Myanmar (or China, if you went that way) than for Thailand, trust me.

Today, a rider in Cambodia tried to have a scanned copy of the Thai entry permit, that had been emailed to him, used to enter Thailand. Thai Customs at the border, refused his entry saying the Thai tour company needed to be at the border when he entered. Thai tour company wanted an additional 2,500 BHT to come to the remote border. He managed to negotiate that the original permit be sent to the border, which cost him an additional 3 days.

According to that meeting, Michel Lawrence mentioned on the Facebook page he created that once you have the permit (assuming it's the one that allows you to exit at a different border), you can go wherever you like. Since he was the one who received the first permit, perhaps you could ask him how he's going? I believe he's currently somewhere in Thailand.

I have no idea about the accommodation part for the itinerary. Wouldn't it be possible just to write up an approximate itinerary, mentioning cities/towns/provinces but not booking hotels? I would think so - you could always just say on November 16, I will be staying in Prachuab at my friend's house, on November 18 in Bangkok at another friend's house from November 21-23 in Chiang Mai at an undetermined hotel.

Michael in his updated version (revision dated 11 June 2016) of his experiences posted today indicates that: - A plan of your route (which provinces you aim to visit for example. I believe there is no need to be too detailed, and as we know, we never end following the plans exactly as expected&#8230;).

This would imply that you are free to stay where you want but I guess that Michael will be more qualified to answer that question based on his experience while on his way from Cambodia to Malaysia

Back
Top Bottom