Temp. Importing a Foriegn Reg. Mbike into Thailand

The post reads like you have already reset the counter at Chiang Kong ?? If so they are not doing it by the book but all well and good for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

As far as I am aware it was all strictly by the book. I got taken into the senior office there and talked with the boss (I guess), he explained the situation, then showed me to the ladies to pay the 2000bt fine

At over 6 months ?? From first point of entry.

You can pay the fine up to 6 months.. I was always told it was a major deal to be over.. That you then owe the amount put on the temp import papers.

For sure its not you can do 6 months of extensions and then have 6 more months.. Just seems customs dont have much of a clue.. Like the customs at the airport in CNX saying you cant have more than 30 days, etc etc..

The fine amount for overstaying the initial given 1 month changed January - guess this applies to all temp import forms issued after then. 1000b per day overstay with a maximum of 10000b. Confirmed by stamp from Mae Sot and stamp + visit to Customs Mae Sai. Note, both Chiang Khong and Customs Call Centre confirmed the change to 1000b per day but Chiang Khong seemed to think there was no max' and CCC said 20000b max... So a little confusion still.

The Customs guy at the airport likes to play it difficult, big change to the lady before, so mine has gone into overstay and will pay the fine. He also says that you only get 3 extensions so that means on monthly reporting you only get 4 months on the Import Certificate.

Just checked my paperwork again and last time I re-entered at Nan they upped my bike value from 300,000 baht to 1,500,000, at the time I protested but for some reason were adamant.

At over 6 months ?? From first point of entry.

You can pay the fine up to 6 months.. I was always told it was a major deal to be over.. That you then owe the amount put on the temp import papers.

For sure its not you can do 6 months of extensions and then have 6 more months.. Just seems customs dont have much of a clue.. Like the customs at the airport in CNX saying you cant have more than 30 days, etc etc..

Think that much to my criticism of the Chiang Khong crossing, that the Import Certificate could be safer there.

The fine amount for overstaying the initial given 1 month
changed January - guess this applies to all temp import forms issued after then. 1000b per day overstay with a maximum of 10000b. Confirmed by stamp from Mae Sot and visit to Customs Mae Sai. Note, both Chiang Khong and Customs Call Centre confirmed the change to 1000b per day but Chiang Khong seemed to think there was no max' and CCC said 20000b max... So a little confusion still.

The fine amount for overstaying the initial given 1 month changed January - guess this applies to all temp import forms issued after then.

it applies to all import forms, not just those issued this year.
I imported my bike in september, and yesterday was informed in CK that I have to pay 10000bt fine before I leave the country.
I was advised to export it within a month,(which will be 7 months from date of entry.
I was told the fine would still be 10000bt, not more, whichever border crossing I go to.

Also I was told that the bike must stay with me, so if I leave thailand the bike must leave with me.
If I could show that I had a real need to leave thailand without it (eg fly out for special reason), then that may be permitted.

IMPORTANT - New Penalty Laws as of 26th December, 2013 for foreign motorcycle overstay

I've just got back from the Thai/ Laos international border points & can confirm that the penalty overstay for foreign motorcycles on temporary import into Thailand has changed as of 26th December, 2013.

The new Thai Law & it seems EVERY Thai international border crossing, Customs department is aware of it, is 1,000 Bht a day fine for overstay.

There is some confusion as to whether there is a 10,000 Bht maximum fine. At Houy Khon (Chalam Praket) , Thailand / Muan Nguen, Laos, there were not aware of the 10,000 Bht Maximum fine.

At the Mae Sot, Thailand / Mywadaddy, Myanmar international border, a friend re-entering Thailand was stamped with the 10,000 Bht Maximum fine, so there is some confusion over whether there is a maximum fine or not, see below what was issued by Thai customs at Mae Sot border:

13161481463_a93c0fb237_b.jpg

We arrived at the Houy Khon, Thailand / Muan Nguen, Laos border. The Thai Customs tried to impose the 1,000 Bht a day fine, I argued that my temporary import contract was signed before the new rules were in place and therefore should not apply. After a few phone calls to the big boss, they were lenient and only fined 1,000 Bht but asked for a written reason why the motorcycle was in Thailand on over stay, we were very lucky.

You MUST now report to Thai customs at Chiang Mai airport every 30 days (up to 6 visits then out of Thailand) or to the border every 30 days to avoid big overstay fines.

It looks like 6 months is still possible with 30 day reporting for the motorcycle to Thai customs.

1489189_10152693026268345_1586343648_n.jpg

Remember, the situation regarding the maximum cap for the fine seems to be discretionary.

The Chiang Mai (Airport) Customs officer is quite discerning and even though I had been there many times, still checks the bike serial number against the registration certificate. He also said that there are only 3 extensions available and on the 4th you had to leave the country.

I need to renew next month so will go to Laos via Nan and try the same argument as Phil to avoid the 10000b fine.

Did you get a stamp on your form, Phil? Does it mention the daily rates and a maximum amount?

Wonder if they know down south.. And if they are doing anything different at wide open sadao..

I have a contact with the Phuket paper, will see if they will do a question to the local customs there..

No 1,000 bht a day red stamp on my temporary import contract, but all customs officers seem aware of the new law.

Yeh - but not about the max' fine limit... Mae Sot are stamping per day rate and limit, Mae Sae just per day, you didn't get anything... Customs staff saying different things at different border crossings - even saying different at the same border crossing... :roll:

Yeh - but not about the max' fine limit... Mae Sot are stamping per day rate and limit, Mae Sae just per day, you didn't get anything... Customs staff saying different things at different border crossings - even saying different at the same border crossing... :roll:

I would print out the red stamp with the max fine that I posted to show customs officers for safety.

As far as I'm aware, no one has yet attempted a visa run at Mae Sot into the Mywadaddy, Myanmar free zone?

I would print out the red stamp with the max fine that I posted to show customs officers for safety.

Already done - but I would like to get it in a better official format somehow - at least till they all start stamping the max on forms... May go see them at CK sometime.

10000b every 6 months I can live with - 180000b or iffy Customs runs every month ain't so sweet.

This PDF is from Thai Customs - seems like they've been given an updated book of rules and regulations - and the new temporary imported vehicles fines are part of that. You'll need a Thai reader to confirm, but if you check the section underlined in red, you can see there is a given maximum of 10000b - to be considered under the same stipulation (check the link to the now outdated guidelines in English) '...provided he/she does not intend to violate the regulations...'.

Customs English

View attachment tempImport.pdf

Good to have that Thai copy, I will print it for sure.

Went to do the monthly temporary import extension at Thai customs at Chang Mai airport, looks like with a letter from a Thai mechanic stating repairs need to be done and a parts order as evidence, he has (Thai customs) the ability to issue a 90 day temporary import extension.

I will print it for sure.

Yes, and take it along with you is what I'd suggest for anyone going to pay an overstay fine at Customs. Then, if they don't already know about the 10000b max, you can politely hand it over for them to read.... But, there may be some uncertainty / misinformation for a time - and TiT, so they can still mess you up re. the stipulation I mentioned, if you get on the wrong side of them.

Went to do the monthly temporary import extension at Thai customs at Chang Mai airport, looks like with a letter from a Thai mechanic stating repairs need to be done and a parts order as evidence, he has (Thai customs) the ability to issue a 90 day temporary import extension.

Fucker only wanted to give me 30, was adamant that was all he was legally allowed to give, even though I know for a fact Phuket used to give 60.

Plus he was as difficult as he could be about it.. Clocking off 10 mins before 12 for his lunchbreak when he only had to rubber stamp it etc..

Does anyone have experience extending a temporary import in Phuket? Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have experience extending a temporary import in Phuket? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes but old experience now..

The customs guy in Phuket town was super easy.. Always giving 60 days at a time if you have >60 days in your visa, never wanting bribes, and generally being all around nice guy.

Thats 4 or more years ago tho ?!?! Who knows now. Go try and report back.

....At the Thai - Malaysian border, Thai customs are now enforcing the 10,000 Bht Maximum fine for overstay up to 6 months for a foreign motorcycle on temporary import into Thailand. Kevin was there yesterday and got hit for 20,000 Bht for 2 foreign bikes........

They start cracking down all over slowly but surely...it is all "part of the arrangement" the big factories have on the tax phase out scheme to limit grey imports as much as possible during the transition period. I guess the final goal is to eliminate any competition outside the "regular channels" the same way they did with alcohol imports.

The funny thing is...nobody cared when I walked back across the border and left the HP2 in Cambodia...the dude that bought it switched to a Cambodian plate he had with him, threw the green book and original license plate in his backpack...

In Nan border crossing last week I paid 2000 bike overstay as I had the old paperwork that showed the 2000 max fine. But it was pointed out that the future was 10000 if I did not do the monthly stamp.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well I need to do on in the next week or so.. Nan looks like a solid go if my CK plan fails.

Thanks for that info..

Does anyone know if you still allowed to use the ferrys (even tho they may be expensive) and if you come back in on a ferry, do you do your temp import at the ferry point or do you have to go to the bridge to do inbound customs.

The immigration office in Nan town is first class if needed and the Nan border crossing is helpful rather than difficult

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well I need to do on in the next week or so.. Nan looks like a solid go if my CK plan fails.

Thanks for that info..

Does anyone know if you still allowed to use the ferrys (even tho they may be expensive) and if you come back in on a ferry, do you do your temp import at the ferry point or do you have to go to the bridge to do inbound customs.

I'm told that at the Chiang Khong, Thailand, international border crossing, ALL paperwork regarding the motorcycle, Thai Customs & the "TM" immigration forms (if you have them!), is now handled at the bridge and there is no Thai Customs check at the ferry ramp any more.

Rick,
If i recall Khun Nah next to Phil's place had a CRF250 with a red painted engine, can anybody stick a nose in to ask ?

Hey Phil, Rick down here south. Any word on where they paint the engines? Have a link, email, FB page, very curious and one of the last things I want to do--PM me if you get the chance--Rick

Rick - email Nae at the Chiang Mai MX shop:

kaveelove"AT" hotmail.com

I'm told that at the Chiang Khong, Thailand, international border crossing, ALL paperwork regarding the motorcycle, Thai Customs & the "TM" immigration forms (if you have them!), is now handled at the bridge and there is no Thai Customs check at the ferry ramp any more.

Inbound theres no check.. hmmm.....

temporary import for a month only

Hi everyone, i already got some answers just by reading through the thread, however, here is my situation.

My motorbike just arrived in Bangkok from Brazil, i got the delivery notice from my shipping agent and must proceed to custom clearance next Monday.

I read that i can simply sign a doc that will bond myself to re-exporting the bike after 30 days, (good thing, meaning no money left behind in a corrupt process) does that still hold true?

I came in with the usual 30 days stamp in my passport, no visa needed. Is there to be any problems with that?

Are there any fees involved? I am doing tbe process all by myself at Klongtoey on Monday.

Thanks everyone for some ideas

The bike will get (usually 30 they have the power for 60 or 90 but 99% of the time wont give, especially beyond your permission to stay) its 30 day temporary import.. You can extend this in country or pay a fine for overstay.

Your issue is a little hard to be sure on, as the 30 day visa exempt stamps are currently having a crackdown. It might be that you need to go and get a tourist visa from a consul or embassy in a neighboring country. Depending on how tough the crackdown is, and how long you wish to remain here.

Currently things are a little unusual with clampdowns and coups.

The bike will get (usually 30 they have the power for 60 or 90 but 99% of the time wont give, especially beyond your permission to stay) its 30 day temporary import.. You can extend this in country or pay a fine for overstay.

Your issue is a little hard to be sure on, as the 30 day visa exempt stamps are currently having a crackdown. It might be that you need to go and get a tourist visa from a consul or embassy in a neighboring country. Depending on how tough the crackdown is, and how long you wish to remain here.

Currently things are a little unusual with clampdowns and coups.

LivinLOS, thanks for the reply. In fact i intend only to pass through thailand (much less than 30 days) on my way to Laos and Vietnam. I got a high ranking official in the immigration in saigon who gave me "green light" to bri g my bike into Vietnam.

I assume the stamp will be sufficient. Anyhow, i am already here, i hope it will work

Please do post more about any vietnam crossing and success..

Back
Top Bottom