Temp. Importing a Foriegn Reg. Mbike into Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Temporary Importing a Foreign Registered Motorbike into Thailand

Free copies of the Thai border crossing forms/ documents can be found here:
http://rideasia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=107

It's quite simple to temporary import a foreign registered motorcycle into Thailand at a land border crossing (see the other thread re temp. importing through BKK airport), as long as you follow the following steps:

1. You will need copies of:

a] Foreign registration documentation for the bike
b] Valid insurance
c] Drivers license
d] Passport

2. The motorbike must be registered in your name in a foreign country. It "theoretically" could be registered in someone else's name in a foreign country, with letter of authorization of use, but you can be sure it would be difficult to do.

3. You should have 3rd party (or Thai CPTL) insurance. Sometimes they ask for it sometimes they don't.

There are various "TM" immigration forms (will vary if you have a pillion) that need to be filled out regarding temporary importing a chattel into Thailand (it's the same forms for boats, cars & motorcycles).

Thai Customs will issue you a "Simplified Temporary Import Contract", usually for 30 days. There will be a huge fine number for overstay in the bottom right hand corner. Most people temporary importing for the 1st time think this is the penalty for overstaying 30 days NOT SO.

For overstaying your 30 day temporary import contract, there is a 100 baht a day fine, with a maximum fine of 2,000 baht up to 6 months.

DO NOT overstay more than 6 months, they can confiscate the bike from you - SERIOUS!

Lately, in Chiang Mai, some bikes have been able extend their temporary import at Chiang Mai Customs office near the airport to the length of their tourist visa's.

TEMPORARY IMPORTING A MOTORBIKE THROUGH A THAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - LINK BELOW:

temp-importing-a-mbike-into-thailand-through-bkk-airport-t63.html

Below is the text from the Thai Customs motorbike temporary import page:
This is the link
http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesTemp/TemporaryImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalTem

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Pe ... ersonalTem

THAI CUSTOMS TEMPORARY IMPORT PROCEEDURES
A temporary import of personal vehicles for a short visit e.g. a motor vehicle, motorcycle, yacht, sports boat, or fishing vessel, etc. into Thailand by owners shall be grant tax/duty relief provided that they are to be re-exported within 1-2 months but not exceeding six months. Any persons intending to temporarily import personal vehicles e.g. a motor vehicle, motorcycle, yacht, sports boat, or fishing vessel, etc. have to closely observe the following Customs regulations and conditions:

Documentation: The minimum documents required for a temporary import of personal vehicle consist of:
[1]
A Special Goods Declaration and 5 duplicates.
[2]
A Vehicle Registration Certificate.
[3]
An Identification card and passport of the master of the vehicle, including an international driving license.
[4]
A Letter of Attorney, in case where the master of the vehicle does not own the vehicle.
[5]
An application form for the temporary import of personal vehicles.
[6]
Evidence of purchase e.g. a proforma invoice, invoice, etc.
[7]
A Certificate of Legal Entity.
[8]
A Re-Export Contract; and.
[9]
Other relevant documents (if any).

Clearance Procedures for a Temporary Import of Personal Vehicles
[1]
An importer/agent submits the Declaration Form and all supporting documents to the Customs office/house at the port of entry. It is also required that all fittings and accessories of the vehicle as well as passengers and accompanying luggage are declared to Customs at the time of entry.
[2]
Customs verifies the Declaration Form and all supporting documents, allocates the Declaration number, and then set up a cash deposit or bank guarantee covering the full amount of liable taxes and duties.
[3]
The importer/agent places the cash deposit or bank guarantee at a Cashier Office.
Deposit of Guarantee

An importer is allowed to deposit a guarantee in a form of either cash deposit or a bank guarantee. However, for a temporary import of motorcycles via the Bangkok Customs Office and the Suvanabhumi International Airport Cargo Clearance Customs Office, the importer is allowed to offer himself as a guarantee.

In case where the importer is unable to deposit a guarantee either in a form of a cash deposit or a bank guarantee, he/she may request the embassy to issue a letter to Customs for granting approval of the importer’s self-guarantee.

The amount of a cash deposit and a guarantee calculated by Customs is determined on the basis of all liable taxes and duties to be paid to Customs.

The importer/agent presents evidence of deposited guarantee to Customs.

Customs inspects the vehicle and personal goods, then, returns one copy of the Simplified Goods Declaration to the importer/agent. Please note that the importer is required to retain the copy of the Simplified Goods Declaration and returns it to Customs upon exportation.
The term “yacht/ sports boat” means any boat used solely for pleasure or sports; but excluding those imported for commercial, military, and scientific research purposes. A master of a yacht/sports boat or fishing vessel from abroad is required to make an arrival and departure reports of such boat or vessel to Customs upon the arrival or departure, as the case may be.

Clearance Procedures for a Temporary Export of Personal Vehicles
[1]
An exporter/agent submits the copy of the Special Goods Declaration issued by Customs upon importation to the Customs office/house at the port of exit; and
[2]
Customs inspects the vehicle and personal belongings, records the re-exported vehicle, writes off the import registration electronically, then, discharges the cash deposit or bank guarantee posted at the time of importation to the exporter/agent.

An Importer Fails to Re-Export the Vehicle within the Time-Limit
[1]
In case where the importer fails to re-export the vehicle within the time-limit as set out in the bond and security paper, Customs will impose the full amount of a cash deposit or bank guarantee posted at the time of importation without any reduction.
Imposition of Guarantee:

When the temporary time-limit set in the bond and security paper is due, or an importer provides a written notice to Customs that he does not wish to re-export the vehicles temporarily imported, Customs will impose the full amount of liable taxes and duties as indicated without any reduction.

In case where motor vehicles or motorcycles are temporarily imported into Thailand for a short visit via the border points and to be re-exported at the conclusion of the visit, but the importer fails to do so within the time-limit as indicated in the bond and security paper, provided he/she does not intend to violate the regulations, a 100-Baht fine per day, but not exceeding1,000 Baht in total, shall be charged from the due date of the Contract.

In case where boats/vessels are temporarily brought into Thailand and to be re-exported at the conclusion of the visit, but the importer fails to do so within the time-limit as indicated in the bond and security paper, provided he/she does not intend to violate the regulations, a 500-Baht fine per day, but not exceeding 5,000 Baht in total, shall be charged from the due date of the Contract.

The term “yacht/ sports boat” means any boat used solely for pleasure or sports; but excluding those imported for commercial, military, and scientific research purposes. A master of a yacht/sports boat or fishing vessel from abroad is required to make an arrival and departure reports of such boat or vessel to Customs upon the arrival or departure, as the case may be.
[2]
In case where an importer wants to extend the temporary allowance as set out in the bond and security paper, Customs may extend the time-limit to allow the vehicle to remain in Thailand for up to six months. In exceptional circumstances e.g. a broken engine, car accident, etc., the time-limit may be extended to more than six months but not exceeding eight months from the date of importation. The extension of the temporary allowance can be applied at a Customs House.

Contact
For additional information, any interested persons may contact the Customs Information Service Center at TEL 1164.

Unpacking one at Bangkok's shipping container terminal
IMAGE_192.jpg

IMAGE_191.jpg

They sometimes check the VIN & engine numbers

bike check.jpg

Herman collecting his German registered Cagiva Elephant 900 at klong Toey container port, Bangkok last week, which is now in Thailand on temporary import.

Second set of wheels and tires on the back!

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Just got this from Aurel regarding shipping his KTM990 Adv to Thailand

Hello,

It might interest some of you to know how I shipped my bike from the US to
Thailand and what was the process at the airport to get it out. So here is
the story (a copy from an article on my blog,
http://www.the-great-adventure.fr)!

---

Booking two flight tickets for us is easy. Sending the motorcyce by air is
a bit more tricky. You have to ask dozens of cargo companies for quotes,
you have to get information about local regulations for shipping a
motorcycle (battery disconnected or not, tanks emptied or not, etc), you
have to built a crate in which you'll put the bike, bring it to the
airport, do all the paperwork, get the crate out of the customs upon
arrival, find a local insurance, etc.

IMG_3179%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

1. Choosing the cargo company
We received a lot of quotes to ship the bike, from $1100 to $2800. The
cheapest company is DHX. Marcia Gatz take
great care of us. She always reply to our emails on the same day and she
does everything for the shipping to go well without any trouble. You can
contact her at this address: marcia.gatz@dhx.com, tell her you
know Aurel. We send all our documents (bike title, passport, customs
documents we got at the US border when we arrived, etc.) to Marcia by email
and she arrange everything before we visit her.

IMG_3183%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

<h2>2. Crating the bike</h2>
We wanted to build the crate ourself as we already did when we shipped the
bike from South Africa to Argentina but it's complicated in the US. The
government requires that you use treated wood to built the crate, that you
get a certificate issued by a specialized packing company, etc. In the end,
buying such wood, paying for the certificate and having to transport the
crate myself to DHX take a lot of time and money. It's easier and only a
little bit more expensive to get the bike crated by a company.

IMG_3186%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

Marcia from DHX recommand us to get the bike crated by 3A Packing which already crated a lot
of motorcycles and which offers the best quotes. 3A Packing charge us $325
to build the crate, to do all the paperwork (certificates, stamps, etc) and
to bring it to DHX's warehouse. Other companies are asking for $800!

IMG_3187%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

So we go to 3A Packing on Friday early in the morning. We know it's going
to be a long day.

IMG_3188%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3189%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3191%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3192%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3197%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3198%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3200%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3203%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3201%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3202%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

Finally the crate get the magic stamp that says it's made of treated wood,
approved by customs and airlines. We don't have to disconnect the battery
and we leave 6L of gas in the tank. 3A Packing also does the Dangerous
Goods Certificate, mandatory document to ship a vehicule working with gas.

IMG_3208%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

Once the crate is closed and stamped, they take the final measurements and
they weight it.

IMG_3211%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

Dimensions are 203 x 73 x 119 cm. This gives a volumetric weight of 293kg
(203 x 73 x 119, divided by 3600). Unfortunately the actual weight of the
crate is 346kg. we left too much stuff in the luggages (maybe 30kg)! The
airlines charge you with the highest value, in our case the real weight,
not the volumetric weight. We'll be charged for 346kg.

3A Packing then take the crate to DHX's warehouse. There it takes only 5min
with Marcia to do all the paperwork. She gives us the AirWayBill, the
document that will allow us to collect the crate in Bangkok. Everything is
sorted, the bike is going to fly to Bangkok in a few days! The only issue
is that it takes sometimes for the US customs to clear the crate and they
need to keep my title after we leave the country. But Marcia put the title
in the crate trought the small window before it goes on the plane.

<h3>3. Collecting the bike in Bangkok</h3>

We arrive in Bangkok a few days before the bike. We decide to stay very
close from the airport, it will be easier to come back there to collect the
bike and above all, it's an area that is not affected by the floods. For a
price lower than what we had to pay in the US for a campground here is what
we can have in Thailand. But we could not wait to get back on the bike and
discover the country :)

IMG_3311%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

One week after we crated the bike it arrives in Bangkok. It is time to go
back to the airport, on a Saturday.

Aurel: I leave Marion at the swimming pool and I take a shuttle
to go to the airport and face the Thailand administration. While I'll
collect the bike Marion will prepare our route for the next few months with
guide books and maps.

Luckily in the shuttle taking me to the aiport I meet Heen, an employee of
Thai Cargo who decides (even if it's his day off) to take me to the aiport
to guide me and help me as a translator, awesome! The process starts in
Thai Cargo offices. With the AirWayBill I got given by Marcia they give me
all the paperwork that will allow me to clear the bike at the customs.

Before going to the customs I have to get the title of the bike which is in
the crate. In theory I'm not allowed yet to access the crate but one more
time Heen is very helpful and arranges everything for me, I finally get the
title back.

But when we arrive at the customs, no luck, they are closed during the
week-end... Let's go back to the hotel...

On monday I come back at the customs and I do all the paperwork quite
quickly. This time I'm with Jim, an american rider who also sent his KTM in
Bangkok. His bike won't arrive before a week but he joined me to help me
and see what is the process for collecting a motorcycle. The customs give
me a temporary importation certificate for the bike that will allow us to
ride in the country and that we'll show the police if we get pulled-over or
when we'll leave the country.

I just have to come back to the Thai Cargo offices to pay the storage fees
for the week-end ($60).

So the total price for this shipping is $1485, expensive but Los Angeles to
Bangkok is a long way!

I now have about 40 papers in my backpack, that's administration! I can
finally get the crate out of the Thai Cargo warehouse. I just have to put
back on the bike all the parts I took out a week ago. Jim helps me and it
takes about 1h. During this time we are a great attraction for all the
employes of Thai Cargo, dozens and dozens of people are watching us.

IMG_3342%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

IMG_3343%20%5b1600x1200%5d.JPG

Thanks to Heen who helped me on saturday and who come back today to see me
while I'm getting the bike back on its wheels, I even find a solution to
store the crate for 3 months. In 3 months we'll come back to Bangkok to
ship the bike to India, the crate will be waiting for me at the aiport!

After a lot of sweating considering the current temperature in Bangkok the
bike is ready. I take Jim on the bike to come back to the hotel. In my mind
I keep telling myself RIDE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD! RIDE ON THE LEFT
SIDE OF THE ROAD! RIDE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD! :)

Thank you Marcia, thank you 3A Packing, thank you Heen, thank you Jim!

I now just have to send a few emails to the AIG insurance company to get a
Third Party insurance for the motorcycle. It costs only 14euros for a year.
Tomorrow we can start riding in direction of Cambodia!

Temp. Import Question

If you are entering Thailand from a land border and do not have a Tourist/Non-Immigrant Visa and are issued the 15 days.

Will your bike be given 15 days as well or will it be given 30 days?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Temp. Import Question

BWG950S said:
If you are entering Thailand from a land border and do not have a Tourist/Non-Immigrant Visa and are issued the 15 days.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim "most likely" you will be given 30 days temporary import for your motorcycle (which can be extended in 30 day increments up to 6 months), if you have a 15 day tourist visa. At the Bangkok port I have been issued 60 days temporary import before.

I have been enterting Thailand at Nong Khai before and the Thai Customs officer decided that he would only give me 15 days to match my immigration visa (about 2 years ago). I managed to talk him into 30 days, but it seems to be at their discretion.

Re: Temp. Import Question

KTMphil said:
BWG950S said:

Thanks,
Jim

Jim "most likely" you will be given 30 days temporary import for your motorcycle (which can be extended in 30 day increments up to 6 months), if you have a 15 day tourist visa. At the Bangkok port I have been issued 60 days temporary import before.

I have been enterting Thailand at Nong Khai before and the Thai Customs officer decided that he would only give me 15 days to match my immigration visa (about 2 years ago). I managed to talk him into 30 days, but it seems to be at their discretion.

Not to argue with others who have done this much more than me.. But have mates who did this for years on Phuket and the only conclusion is every place is a little bit different. Each border entry point, each provincial customs office, all seem to have variations.

With a non imm visa guys were getting 60 days on import (Sadao / Padangbasar).. Also Phuket customs would give 60 day increments up to 6 months, pretty friendly and didnt ask for bribes also which for phuket customs is unusual (thieves of the highest order).

Up north it seems overstay up to 6 months is treated very casually.. Down south that was not looked at the same way, on overstay you had biggish problems if checked, but they didnt check much in reality but the fear of crashing on a bike on overstay was a big issue.

Ubon/Phibun Custom House Moved

Well I decided not to take a trip to Laos on Monday to renew the Temporary Import. I would make it simple and ride from Ubon Ratchathani to Phibun Mangsahan and extend it at the Customs Office there next to Immigration.

After riding through a few rain showers I arrived to discover that the Customs Office has now been moved to the border at Chong Mek! So much for convenience.

Now after a few more rain showers I arrive at the border and "try" to get the extension. It was entertaining having the Immigration gal taking the TM-2 form and me taking it back from her. Explained in English and my Thai that I am not going to Laos and my bike is not going to Laos. I think I was the first extension they have done at the border. They kept insisting that I needed to go to Laos. Finally had to call the GF and have her explain. Plus the Customs guy called Chong Sa Ngam where I came in last month. After all that he asked me how long I wanted. Very nice of him I thought. I think I could of gotten 2 months but only ended up getting 1 month. Did not even ask to see my passport. Hopefully in the future it will be much smoother at Chong Mek.

Re: Ubon/Phibun Custom House Moved

BWG950S said:
Well I decided not to take a trip to Laos on Monday to renew the Temporary Import. I would make it simple and ride from Ubon Ratchathani to Phibun Mangsahan and extend it at the Customs Office there next to Immigration.

After riding through a few rain showers I arrived to discover that the Customs Office has now been moved to the border at Chong Mek! So much for convenience.

Now after a few more rain showers I arrive at the border and "try" to get the extension. It was entertaining having the Immigration gal taking the TM-2 form and me taking it back from her. Explained in English and my Thai that I am not going to Laos and my bike is not going to Laos. I think I was the first extension they have done at the border. They kept insisting that I needed to go to Laos. Finally had to call the GF and have her explain. Plus the Customs guy called Chong Sa Ngam where I came in last month. After all that he asked me how long I wanted. Very nice of him I thought. I think I could of gotten 2 months but only ended up getting 1 month. Did not even ask to see my passport. Hopefully in the future it will be much smoother at Chong Mek.

Good to see you got it done Jim & educated the Thai Customs office for future extenders. Chiang Mai Customs office have done this numerous times now and have it under control.

KTMphil said:
Good to see you got it done Jim & educated the Thai Customs office for future extenders. Chiang Mai Customs office have done this numerous times now and have it under control.

Comes back to my variations thing.. Think its just 'new' to many of them and Thai officialdom can either be in a good mood or not.

Also are people in CM now extending every few months ?? I thought you told me up here that overstaying until 6 months was the SOP ??

LivinLOS said:
KTMphil said:

Comes back to my variations thing.. Think its just 'new' to many of them and Thai officialdom can either be in a good mood or not.

Also are people in CM now extending every few months ?? I thought you told me up here that overstaying until 6 months was the SOP ??

Chiang Mai customs office, in the Chiang Mai airport cargo area, 2nd floor, seem happy to give a 1 month extension to an existing 30 day temporary import, i'm not sure if anyone has tested the 6 month, 2,000 bht fine maximum penalty, as at the 6 month time point, the vehicle has to leave Thailand. I suppose if the bike was to be air freighted from Chiang Mai airport on an international flight that it would be fees-able and they would do it.

I meant that I understood most people to be overstaying until 6 months, then riding to the border.. Rather than month by month (they wont give 2 months ??) extending in town ??

2 Foreign Bikes on Temporary Import in Thailand

It's just been tested for the 1st time ever that I know of & apparently it IS possible to renew the Thai temporary import, of 2 foreign bikes that are in Thailand on temporary import, UNDER ONE NAME (PASSPORT) AT THE SAME TIME. This is of course at the discretion of the Thai Customs officer at the border who is signing off on this.

Very interesting that it has been tested.

View attachment 10280

What kind of visa do I need to get a Temporary Impert permit for my non-thai registered bike?
ie Can I get a month's import permit with a 2 week Visa on Arrival?
Or do I need at least a month left on my current visa?

Any Thai tourist immigration visa will qualify.

What kind of visa do I need to get a Temporary Impert permit for my non-thai registered bike?
ie Can I get a month's import permit with a 2 week Visa on Arrival?
Or do I need at least a month left on my current visa?

Does anyone know about Visas on Arrival?

I suspect you mean the visa exempt stamp NOT the visa on arrival as they are different things..

I am pretty sure the visa exempt stamp (15 days at a land border) is OK.. I can verify that tomorrow.

I suspect you mean the visa exempt stamp NOT the visa on arrival as they are different things..

I am pretty sure the visa exempt stamp (15 days at a land border) is OK.. I can verify that tomorrow.
Please do...

I am not doing 15 day stamps !!! Dear god man..

I clean forgot.. Make it a tomorrow tomorrow.. Sorry.

Hello, can someone share experiences with the bank and/or self-guarantee? What document(s) required to be authorized by the relevant Embassy, any samples?

Ha ha..

OK I will make a call now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

OK.. Turns out he's had tourist visas.. But he is sure, as I think also, that on a 15 day visa exempt stamp you will be given just 15 days. The temp import will not go beyond your own permission to stay.

What happens at customs, if you choose to not overstay will be more hit and miss. Cm were only giving 30 days and seemed to think that's all they can give, but I know for sure Phuket used to give 60 days if you had a long stay visa.

Hello, can someone share experiences with the bank and/or self-guarantee? What document(s) required to be authorized by the relevant Embassy, any samples?

You talking about a car ??

For bikes you can just self guarantee as easy as signing the form.

OK.. Turns out he's had tourist visas.. But he is sure, as I think also, that on a 15 day visa exempt stamp you will be given just 15 days. The temp import will not go beyond your own permission to stay.

What happens at customs, if you choose to not overstay will be more hit and miss. Cm were only giving 30 days and seemed to think that's all they can give, but I know for sure Phuket used to give 60 days if you had a long stay visa.

But, even if they only give 15 days, I'd have thought it's still the same forms with the up to 6 months play that us temp importers are all operating around, no? They only seem to ever give a month whatever visa you've got - 15 days difference of 'official' righteousness doesn't seem an issue...

You got to do temp import runs now too with that KTM, Sefton?

But, even if they only give 15 days, I'd have thought it's still the same forms with the up to 6 months play that us temp importers are all operating around, no? They only seem to ever give a month whatever visa you've got - 15 days difference of 'official' righteousness doesn't seem an issue...

You got to do temp import runs now too with that KTM, Sefton?

Correct, currently 6 months at Chiang Khong customs.

Sorted then. I'll do one with maybe a few days bob round Laos, Nov or early Dec... Just hope i get the same friendly ladies that you got at C.K. Custom when I go to pay my overstay fine. :)

Sorted then. I'll do one with maybe a few days bob round Laos, Nov or early Dec... Just hope i get the same friendly ladies that you got at C.K. Custom when I go to pay my overstay fine. :)

The ladies in Chiang Khong customs are there every day, they are fantastic. I took them some "RideLao" T-Shirts last week, they loved them.

20381d1377220873t-muan-sing-casinos-dirt-hell-customs.jpg

just hope this temporary import thing remains unchanged for a long..long time...hehe!!!

Your a charmer with the ladies Phil, box of chocolates to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Your a charmer with the ladies Phil, box of chocolates to ?

I took the fat bird at my local motor vehicles place on Phuket a box of cakes..

She used to do all my forms for me after that :)

I brought my bike into Thailand on a months Temporary Import Permit.
After the initial month I got an extension twice.
that expired in March and so the bike had been in Thailand for about 8 months.

It seems like the 6months limit to import the bike means that ,after the initial day of entry, the bike can stay in Thailand a maximum of 6 months, then MUST leave the country.
It looks like the original month's permit, and any extensions to that, are not include in those 6 months.
So you may guess that you can extend the permit to give you 6months, but then the bike must leave thailand.

As for as overstay fine goes, It appears to me that the maximum is 2000bt, but whether or not 6months applies to that I dont know, but if it does, I would assume that it meant 6 months from the end of the permit.

Of course things may change, I was in Chiang Kong, maybe someone else knows different and can clear this up

I brought my bike into Thailand on a months Temporary Import Permit.
After the initial month I got an extension twice.
that expired in March and so the bike had been in Thailand for about 8 months.

It seems like the 6months limit to import the bike means that ,after the initial day of entry, the bike can stay in Thailand a maximum of 6 months, then MUST leave the country.
It looks like the original month's permit, and any extensions to that, are not include in those 6 months.
So you may guess that you can extend the permit to give you 6months, but then the bike must leave thailand.

As for as overstay fine goes, It appears to me that the maximum is 2000bt, but whether or not 6months applies to that I dont know, but if it does, I would assume that it meant 6 months from the end of the permit.

Of course things may change, I was in Chiang Kong, maybe someone else knows different and can clear this up

Err.. no..

It's six months (or is it 180 days) from the first point of entry.. over stay up to that point is a 2k fine.. over that point is I was always told a huge problem.

There is the possibility to get a small one time extension.. if you can show the bike is in bits, had an accident, or somehow being repaired.. but this extension over 6 months had to be pre approved and was only possible on a bike that was legally getting the monthly (on Phuket 60 days) extensions not possible for a bike already over staying.

I would be very concerned if your over the 180 day mark. Everything I have been told says you would now owe the customs the value of tax declared on the papers (they put my few 1000 USD ktm, down as being value 600k thb with a proportionally large tax bill !!!).

The post reads like you have already reset the counter at Chiang Kong ?? If so they are not doing it by the book but all well and good for you.

LivinLOS, alexuk, can you clarify the guarantee procedure/documents?
Did you issue the bank guarantee, a personal guarantee or a letter from the embassy?
And if it was by letter of your embassy do you have a sample for me?

LivinLOS, alexuk, can you clarify the guarantee procedure/documents?
Did you issue the bank guarantee, a personal guarantee or a letter from the embassy?
And if it was by letter of your embassy do you have a sample for me?

On bikes you are allowed to offer a personal guarantee without a cash bond.

They fill in the forms.. you sign it.. simple.

Back
Top Bottom