CRF Mods and Improvements

Is a 1.5" pipe both through the middle and bum hole.
Exhaust workshopshop/factory also built the muffler on the sports system but not the balance of the pipes - they tell me.

Then it must be different from the muffler in the pics gnasher posted in post #106 - that looks like a 2" core and a 2" end pipe to me.

What "sports system" is that you're talking about?

Then it must be different from the muffler in the pics gnasher posted in post #106 - that looks like a 2" core and a 2" end pipe to me.

What "sports system" is that you're talking about?

Gnashers also a 1.5" core and bum hole - with a 1/4" gap all around outside of it - all sits inside a 2" hole in muffler end piece.
Copy FMF System - see posts 94 and 98.

Been looking for some paddock ear's for the CRF, found these from Dirtshop Thailand http://www.dirtshopthailand.com/en_ProductsDetail.aspx?pid=1893

View attachment 26146

View attachment 26147

Good score, bsacbob!
Noticed on their website the bike lift stand same as that offered by Honda as an accessory - a HC2 unit for 4290 baht.
Went and eye-balled this unit at Honda showroom (next to Toyota near airport) and will better suit transformation from retard to dirtbike and back again.
Also measured front forks of both variants yesterday and can confirm they are same length.
Conversion from retard to dirtbike is approx 20,000 baht in OEM form - buys dirt front rim, flap, tube +tyre, motard disc, dirt rear rim, flap, tube + tyre, disc is same both variants and motard sprocket (39 teeth) along with all nuts/bolts/washers.
My local Honda dealer offers 10% off list price.
Q - Am wondering if people have found if much more room for negotiations with dealerships on parts.

Don't think the CRF-M would work on dirt, i have used it on some easy dirt stuff and IMHO the rear spring is way too stiff for off road work, so add a L spring to the conversation list and you're well on the way to buying a spare L for dirt work :?

Gnashers also a 1.5" core and bum hole - with a 1/4" gap all around outside of it - all sits inside a 2" hole in muffler end piece.
Copy FMF System - see posts 94 and 98.

Okay, think I know now what kind of core they took. That guy must have real small hands, it looks like me holding a 2" pipe!

On my search for a core I was told to check a shop that sells parts for two-strokes and came across a 1,5" core, 9" long, for old Suzuki 125 and such. The thing cost 100B and was a bit flimsy, I could squeeze it into an oval by hand, so I kept on looking.

Had a metal shop make up a 12" long core with a 2" and a 3" end so the core is parallel with the outside walls.

CRF exh cores.jpg

Quite a difference in size and quality. The holes in the right core are bigger but this is the same material they use in the chromed aftermarket mufflers they hang under cars.

Now there's 1" space around the core at the end pipe and 1,5" at the widest circumference for the packing.

The widest part of the stock muffler is about 6"; if the core is 1,5" there should be lots of space for the packing!

I was told by the guys who rented out the CRF250L in Phuket that the end pipe is 2". This is what it looks like:

CRF exhaust 2.jpg

Mine is a 1,25":

CRF exh end pipe 1.25 a.jpg

Since I got a bigger core I think I'll stick with the 1,25" end pipe and see how it works out.

I'm complained about clutch 2 dsys after buying it crf250m they replaced it at750 km with all new parts I watch them under warranty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ed... who has a couple of threads on here as flyingdutchman, has modified his CRF

This is his photo from his ride report on adv

IMG_20140312_081836_zps8f877277.jpg

The issue would seem to be due to pretty severe overloading. He did mention at one stage, taking his topbox off and carrying it over some dirt road, to save the bike

IMG_20140312_081737_zps9ef8abb8.jpg

I'm not sure where the frame is broken.... but I wouldn't recommend overloading any subframe (yeah... I had a broken one on my old R90S BMW... and I broke one on a KTM too, so I can't talk....)

I got aslip on for I think 3700bht and I got him to modify my front pipe to the fmf mega bomb for 1000bht
Joy racing

I'm complained about clutch 2 dsys after buying it crf250m they replaced it at750 km with all new parts I watch them under warranty

What was the problem with your clutch ?

Toasty indicators

Interesting, mine has had less effect on the indicator. Might be because it's a larger diameter the gas velocity is lower and cooler?
I found an old tin cup by the road and intend to make a small heat shield but the indicator still works after @7k.
Hmm, comparing pics, Ed's exhaust seems to be higher.

IMG_20140314_094835.jpg
IMG_20140314_094824.jpg

Ed was saying that the subframe is broken, I believe

Yeah, Ed's subframe is broken and sagging, according to his RR on Advrider, hence the indicator is lower.

Well, he can't say we didn't tell him it'd happen. Put all that weight, all that way out there.... it's gotta break.

I'm working on the 20kg theory for my upcoming trip. That's 20kg of camera, computer, spares, tools, clothes, medical.

In the CRF250L manual it says that maximum weight capacity is 159kg; that includes rider, passenger, luggage and accessories.

Then it says: maximum luggage weight 4,5kg or 10 pounds!

In the CRF250L manual it says that maximum weight capacity is 159kg; that includes rider, passenger, luggage and accessories.

Then it says: maximum luggage weight 4,5kg or 10 pounds!

I've had three of us on my KTM 950SE, doing a bit of a pub crawl, of sorts, in Mae Sot. We added up to 270 kg :D

The 950SE has a notoriously weak rear subframe and people have busted the back end off it with just a 5kg load. Silly design with bolt holes weakening it. I built a simple, and ugly, carbon/kevlar rack that transferred the load to the strong part of the frame. Never had an issue with it... because I keep the load off the weak part. Might be worth looking at something similar for anyone wanting to carry a heavy load on the CRF

A justment and clutch very soft then problems changing gears when they tried to fix the gear selector they had the clutch apart I translated that I was a engineer as well and I could see by what he was doing he was a very good one too I pointed out the the thickness of the plates and the color slip plates so he ordered all new parts
It took a while to arrive but what a difference
I think the main point is you tell them they are good engineers that you have experience in the same field say what is wrong while smiling and give him space to think about it so it was his idea
So hes happy and saved face
At the end of the day who likes someone telling you your job

The broken bike doesn't seem to have a brace to the rear mounting. Half the gear seems to be where the pillion weight would be. I bounced round Laos with a fairly heavy top box with no problems but would like to get the weight further forward and lower so have bought som panniers. Only problem is their straps are where I want to sit so need to work out some kind of soft cover.

Could some one please suggest where I could buy a 43 tooth steel rear sprocket for a CRF 250 L?
I don't really want to lower the gearing with a 13 tooth front sprocket.
Thanks

Loaded up with all I need :).
Subframe should hopefully be up to it....

I hate to tell you that it isn't.

According to the manual the "maximum luggage weight" (includes the weight of the luggage and accessories) is 4,5kg or 10 lb.

You'll get the two cases of beer home, but don't hit too many bumps. :)

CRF sprocket ratios.

Fantic -
you could try TNT Motor in Fang. +66 86 911 6161

They advertise steel 45-48 Tooth rear sprockets tntmotor.net [Engine by iGetWeb.com] - ÊàµÍÃìËÅѧCRF250L 45T-48T
but maybe have access to a 43 tooth rear from their suppliers.

However, I'm not sure if I understand your logic, as changing to a 13T on the front, and leaving the rear at 40T, would have a similar gearing to your proposed 14/43 combination (and on a new chain, you don't even have to take a link out).
With the 14/43, I suspect you would have to add a link, unless the chain was fu***ed.

If you want to play with combinations, the following sequence progressively gears your CRF down ~

14/40 (standard, for road)
14/43
13/40 (easiest & cheapest mod IMHO)
14/45
13/43
14/48
13/45
13/48 (lowest geared, for trail)

... but I'm not sure what sprockets are commonly available in Thailand, so your choices may be limited.
Russ.

I hate to tell you that it isn't.

According to the manual the "maximum luggage weight" (includes the weight of the luggage and accessories) is 4,5kg or 10 lb.

You'll get the two cases of beer home, but don't hit too many bumps. :)

Here is Steph Jeavon's almost stock CRF (larger tank and 13t sprocket) at Mae Suai dam on her RTW trip, no sub frame issues so far.

2014-08-22 14.41.17.jpg

Neoprene front fork dust seal covers

The front for dust seals on the Honda CRF 250 L do not have compression springs in the dust seals, they are only kept under compression around the forks by the elasticity of its rubber material, not ideal. Subsequently, the bike is prone to fork seal failure.

Lan at C & P, Chiang Mai installs neoprene dust guards on his bikes, he says they help tremendously, he's added some to mine too.

Cable tie on the top of each keeps them in place

neoprene.jpg

The front for dust seals on the Honda CRF 250 L do not have compression springs in the dust seals, they are only kept under compression around the forks by the elasticity of its rubber material, not ideal. Subsequently, the bike is prone to fork seal failure.

Lan at C & P, Chiang Mai installs neoprene dust guards on his bikes, he says they help tremendously, he's added some to mine too.

View attachment 32500

Did u get these in cm please?

View attachment 32500

Kriega neoprene fork seal covers are on my list of products to pick up in the UK next spring. They are part of their 'Works Series'. I may get a front haul loop while I'm at it. Video on fitting them below:

Direct link for iOS users: https://vimeo.com/79030425

I may get a front haul loop while I'm at it. Video on fitting them below:

Yeah I was looking to add front and rear loops to my YZ a ways back.. Very handy..

Yeah I was looking to add front and rear loops to my YZ a ways back.. Very handy..

BMW got smarter over time and installed on the HP2 Enduro the same system we used to make for our Enduro's, just a little smaller and Aluminum instead of steel, but I can attest that it actually works well...I favour this system over an "improvised" soft loop.

IMAG0014.jpg
But the HP2 could have benefitted from a dust seal cover on it's forks, the coatings were starting to wear even though I did follow the recommended interval for removal and cleaning, which was basically every time I came home from the dirt...:topes

My rear rack, which I bought from a Thai seller on Ebay based in CM has useful grab handles.

rear-rack-honda-crf250l_v1.jpg

Bought over Rob7711 CRF250L which will eventually be for the wife to ride. Came with FMF and power Commander, bashplate and rear rack.
Great bike but found highway work tiring due windblast.
So today fixed a Givi screen ( USD40 including fitting ) .
Happy now, 110 -120 very relaxed.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought over Rob7711 CRF250L which will eventually be for the wife to ride. Came with FMF and power Commander, bashplate and rear rack.
Great bike but found highway work tiring due windblast.
So today fixed a Givi screen ( USD40 including fitting ) .
Happy now, 110 -120 very relaxed.

New Clothes for my CRF before the Acerbis and the Seat Concept are fitted.

11218888_10153429932106585_3221350943301352380_n.jpg11693928_10153429948211585_8614024794505049577_n.jpg

Hi nukhuzlan, where are you located? Looks like somewhere in the south?

Could you tell me where you got the screen? If it's only $40 US I'd be very interested.

After 24,000km without a screen I'm ready to try one out!

Could you post a pic while sitting on the bike? I wonder if the hardware obstructs the view of the speedo cluster. - Thnaks! :)

Hi nukhuzlan, where are you located? Looks like somewhere in the south?

Could you tell me where you got the screen? If it's only $40 US I'd be very interested.

After 24,000km without a screen I'm ready to try one out!

Could you post a pic while sitting on the bike? I wonder if the hardware obstructs the view of the speedo cluster. - Thnaks! :)

Hi Thump

Will have some of these over in Thailand by Mid September in clear and black much taller screen and should be about the same cost $40

crfs.jpg

crfs4.jpg

crfs3.jpg

crfs2.jpg

crfs1.jpg

These screen uses a different type of fixing point and will not obstruct your view of the dash

Hi Thump,
I'm in Kuala Lumpur. Screen is off the shelf from the local Givi shop. Mounting hardware does not obstruct the display.
I've just installed an Acerbis tank ( now 350+km no sweat ) a Seat Concept seat ( GSA comfort ). Now looking forward to do the HCM Trail in Laos in November.11101388_10153434412461585_5696637237224396205_n.jpg11403432_10153434410861585_1390254073895832271_n.jpg

The CRF is very vulnerable to damage to the radiator and in turn the cooling fan if you lay the bike down on the left, the Burning Shop in Chiang Mai has come up with a pretty easy solution to strengthen this area with a brace and bracket assembly.

Cost 1,700 baht.

http://www.facebook.com/ball.burning

11057264_830738797042392_8361878806357433291_n.jpg 11899999_830738763709062_4910257743465585219_n.jpg

The rad guard is a good idea but that is quite expensive for something so basic in Thailand. The fab shop in Trat Wong Soi 3 that gutted my exhaust for 1000B could probably do something nicer and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom