CRF Mods and Improvements

Stokes70 took one of these modified Honda CRF 250 L's offroad up the mountain the other day and wasn't very impressed with the results, mainly the fueling was erratic which made it hard to ride. Sounds like more testing is needed if your going with the performance enhancing stuff.

Two factory Honda CRF250L machines of (#101) Manoch Abdullkalee and (#102) Jesadang Chotana, that just won the Asia cross country rally!

View attachment 9008

Nae at the Chiang Mai MX shop sells the performance modification kits that these bikes had, which consists of a new ECU, performance camshaft, larger throttle body fuel intake for the fuel injection and an upgraded clutch to deal with the extra power.

View attachment 9009

This kit costs about 19,000 bht & you'll need a performance exhaust as well which will add another 5-10,000 bht.

Nae thinks this will bring the power from 18HP up to 28HP.

View attachment 9745

A radical (50%) power increase like that,with the same engine displacement, would also suggest a radical change in the power delivery and make it harder to ride in the tighter more technical stuff.

I think 20-30% would be a major gain but we`ll never know unless one were put on a dyno!

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Stokes70 took one of these modified Honda CRF 250 L's offroad up the mountain the other day and wasn't very impressed with the results, mainly the fueling was erratic which made it hard to ride. Sounds like more testing is needed if your going with the performance enhancing stuff.

Yup :RE

is the ecu adjustable?If it is sounds like there base map isnt quite right

I stumbled on this while browsing for some KTM stuff

The kit consists of all you need for your easy, bolt on 3-6 hp increase. The kit contains the FMF Q4 muffler, FMF MegaBomb headpipe with free ceramic coating, a BestDualSportBikes exclusive, the fuel injection programmer which was pre programmed by BestDualSportBikes for this kit, a 13 tooth front sprocket and instructions to wheelie.

Price: $850.00

CRF250L Stage I performance kit

Some dynocharts and further info...
2013 Honda CRF250L

No idea if they're any good.
Maybe the Thai developers have similar mods sorted at a cheaper price ?

Looks like 24HP with the modification

bdsb-power-kit-for-250L3-1024x791.jpg

Interesting that the only difference between the Honda CBR250R and the Honda CRF250L clutch is the two additional spring 'plates', the two extra springs should not cause any problems?

crf clutch.jpg

I've stumbled onto here a bit tardily. I have a philosophical question. Honda offers the CRF as a multipurpose bike with "off-road" style frame geometry, better low end? power etc and the first thing it seems some want to do is replace some parts with those from a CBR.

I'm just wondering whether Honda should have offered a CRF "Motard" with CBR-like power delivery for the urban guys( yes I know one can buy the wheels)

They probably looked at the economics (R&D to make it good, tooling, production costs) & decided it didn't make sense.

I've stumbled onto here a bit tardily. I have a philosophical question. Honda offers the CRF as a multipurpose bike with "off-road" style frame geometry, better low end? power etc and the first thing it seems some want to do is replace some parts with those from a CBR.

I'm just wondering whether Honda should have offered a CRF "Motard" with CBR-like power delivery for the urban guys( yes I know one can buy the wheels)

I stumbled on this while browsing for some KTM stuff

CRF250L Stage I performance kit

Some dynocharts and further info...
2013 Honda CRF250L

No idea if they're any good.
Maybe the Thai developers have similar mods sorted at a cheaper price ?

As the importer for EJK and GPR exhausts. :idea:I could put together a kit if anyone is interested. A drilled air box cover would be included. GPR are at EICMA at the moment so I have to wait for confirmation on the muffler type. competition system might be a bit loud, but that is just the endcap.

If anyone wants some real bling. This is for a CRF250 Moto

grande_CRF_250_2006_Term.png

but whether there is room on a road going CRF?

So it will probably be more like this

grande_CRF250CompletoTerm.png

OK all subject to confirmation as I picked the wrong week as they are at the exhibition. But based on previous shipment of SS pipe, so could be a little less as they won't be so heavy. They have three type of cans, Aluminium/Aluminum. titanium and carbon finish with metal end cap a called a Poppy. There is no "conventional" stainless option currently for CRF.

Full system (currently only in Titanium) and deep tone compact muffler about 22,000-25,000 depending on quantity.
Can aluminium oval about 15,000
Can oval SS with carbon pattern etched onto it and SS ends called a Poppy 17,000
Titanium oval 17,500

All include full mounting hardware of course

Above are CRF250

KTM 990? 2 into 1 Titanium about 37,000
KTM 990? aluminium cans about 23,000

For your DRZ I'd have to ask.:)

Hi guys I am in Australia and looking for a link to where i can buy Ben740 exhaust, that i can read and a reliable seller.

from what i can see you get them directly from the man himself.His phone number is on the you tube links.maybe give that a try.have you got a thai speaker in the house as you will probably need one.cheers Greg

Starting to fiddle with my CRF now. Put an aftermarket exhaust on that I picked up at CM Motocross shop second hand. Looking around I noticed that DNA are making an aftermarket filter now:

Air filter P-H2E13-01 for HONDA / CRF 250L 13' | DNA Filters

They claiming a 34% increase in flow and of course serviceability. I use DNA filters on my Triumph and they flow better than K&Ns - I tried both. Not cheap at 80 euros though!

In the meantime I took the backfire screen off the original filter and removed the snorkel which made a noticeable difference. You get a lot more intake noise but now with the pipe that's drowned out.

i took off the tool box, surprising how heavy that little tool kit is! I'm not going to try and put the heat shield on the pipe as they always look ill fitted so now both sides are balanced. IMO this is the best solution and with a tail tidy should be even nicer.

Adding the pipe made little difference as expected but I am pretty sure the top end is better. I have some packing laying around and will fit some, I think it will help performance as well as toning that empty can blat cacophony. It's more fun to ride with some noise anyway.

im after a 13T front sprocket, any ideas of where to get one that fits properly? Seems ones sourced locally need modifying. I've seen them on Ebay for 15 bucks, may be the go.

also, I want a tail tidy if anyone has a good local solution for these?

i will probably get the filter and start to look at ECU options, maybe a better rear shock and it will be quite nice. I doubt I would go to the trouble of big bore kikits here is a guy who is into modifying his CRF:

CRF250L Modifications

im after a 13T front sprocket, any ideas of where to get one that fits properly?

Russ got his at the Chiang Mai MX shop next to me. He said there was a slight fabrication needed to make it fit, a hole drilled or similar, but wasn't a problem.

13T front sprocket

As both sprocket and retaining plate are hardened, unless you have access to a machine shop, the easiest way is to take the plate off, put it in a vice, and simply grind the ends of the plate to form fractionally enlarged slots, instead of holes....an angle grinder with a thin disc works well (or maybe a Dremel would work to enlarge the holes). Guess it depends on your resources.
Of course, you can buy spare plates from Honda for about 15 Bht, so you can always revert back, or prepare one in advance.
I have a another thread on here with more comment - http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/honda-motorcycles/3431-13-tooth-front-sprocket-crf.html
Russ

Daveb; that CRF of yours sounded excellent when you rode off from Riders Corner last night!

Daveb; that CRF of yours sounded excellent when you rode off from Riders Corner last night!

thanks! I'm pretty happy with the sound. I found it was too loud without the baffle supplied installed but too quiet with it in so I drilled out all the little holes in the mesh baffle just slightly larger. I actually think it goes better like this too, with no baffle it was lacking in back pressure.

Live also removed the air box snorkel and spark arrestor plate off the filter.

so the exhaust cost B4000 (2nd hand), 13 tooth sprocket 450 and the rest nothing so a worthy increase in performance for not much money. It's also a ton more fun to ride with a bit of a note :)

Oh. I also removed the little toolbox from the other side to balance it out, that tool bag inside is quite heavy! Nice to lose a little weight off it, the stock can must weigh 10kg!

I would still think gutting a stock can might be a cheap way to get it to sound better and keep the stock looks. I was in an exhaust shop and the guys were doing it to some bikes there. There must be plenty of stock cans laying around to try it with, I may take mine out there and get them to do it, just to see. I think most of the weight is inside, probably the cat converter.

can somebody put up a contact for someone in Thailand for Exhausts (to be posted to Australia) and are there any places for Crf250l parts in Phuket as I will be there in September?

can somebody put up a contact for someone in Thailand for Exhausts (to be posted to Australia) and are there any places for Crf250l parts in Phuket as I will be there in September?

Nae from the Chiang Mai MX shop sells and can mail you a crf exhaust. When I get back I'll get you the contact details.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Any one seen any aftermarket Handlebars for the CRF for sale.Took a little spill at the weekend and the Original bars being made of mild steel just bent. I had a look in the Honda Big wing shop in Pattaya today, but nothing there.

Managed to get a Zeta fat bar and clamps in Dirtshop Bangkok. They also had a set of pro-tapers, 1500 Baht or so more than the Zeta.

@Davevb -Is your end can one of the locally made copies or an original? What make is it? Any photos?

So far, all of the copies around that I've seen are just straight pipes and all super loud. I am looking for one that actually does some muffling, don't don't have too much money to spend. I am sure yours with the baffle installed wouldn't be too loud for me so I am very interested to know which it is, or if anyone can recommend anything else. Thanks for the info!

It's a Pro curcuit T4. Aluminium with stainless end caps. I bought it 2nd hand from CM moto x shop next to riders corner. It's an imported one. I had to have the mid bracket welded on the header pipe and the guys were having a good look at it. The baffle they gave me, it is just a generic one they use in all the shops. They had a few 2nd hand ones there at the back of the shop. Cost me B 4000 for the full system. B6500 I think for a locally made one.

Nae at the Chiang Mai MX shop has been messing around making some aluminum panniers for the CRF, they don't look half bad.

9063609243_15459c1797_b.jpg

9063607037_c87e535b7f_b.jpg

9065830386_faa7a89e5f_b.jpg

9063602367_449ea075ce_b.jpg

It's a Pro curcuit T4. Aluminium with stainless end caps. I bought it 2nd hand from CM moto x shop next to riders corner. It's an imported one. I had to have the mid bracket welded on the header pipe and the guys were having a good look at it. The baffle they gave me, it is just a generic one they use in all the shops. They had a few 2nd hand ones there at the back of the shop. Cost me B 4000 for the full system. B6500 I think for a locally made one.

Ok, so it is an original... The copies are just all so loud. Anyone know where to find second hand original slip-ons for a reasonable price like this?

Well started to remove some of the stock crap off the CRF, the taillight assembly alone must weigh over 4kg, wanted to keep the stock pipe if i could as the aftermarket ones are too noisy for my liking, plus you usually lose the heat shields. So i had my local guy remove all the innards from the stock pipe in much the same way as my KLX and at the same time make a bigger bum hole pipe. The pipe sounds great now, also saved about 6kg in the process :banana:

IMG_2967.jpg

How about bike performance after getting all those sh*t out? Think of some back pressure needed to improve bike power.

Well started to remove some of the stock crap off the CRF, the taillight assembly alone must weigh over 4kg, wanted to keep the stock pipe if i could as the aftermarket ones are too noisy for my liking, plus you usually lose the heat shields. So i had my local guy remove all the innards from the stock pipe in much the same way as my KLX and at the same time make a bigger bum hole pipe. The pipe sounds great now, also saved about 6kg in the process :banana:

View attachment 23465

So, is there anything left inside at all, or is it just a huge empty can now? Any photos of the inside before your closed it back up? I am assuming that it must be quite loud now?

Can't say iv'e notice a lot of difference in performance, but it sounds a lot sweeter than it did before but not as loud as the aftermarket pipes.

Here is a video of some guy doing the same, i guess mine sounds like the middle sound byte...

[video=youtube_share;VI4EKf4Jr3c]http://youtu.be/VI4EKf4Jr3c[/video]

Back
Top Bottom