CRF250>CBR300 mods.Lets pump it up!

Forest

Bikes
Vstrom650,CRF250 , Ducati 900ss ,Yamaha YZ250, Virago 400 etc..
So,seen the new CBR300 out made me think to look into it ,and yes apparently they did not change the piston but stroked it.(to be confirmed with Honda but i guess so!) changed the displacement and went up to 286cc. meaning with a few mods we could possibly beef up the CRF250 to 286cc ,since the bikes share lots of parts.so changing the crankshaft and connection rod +ECU could work (?).. +? , hopefully cylinder height is the same
this is very interesting ,I went to the honda dealer but sadly comunication was poor ,should go back and look at their parts manuals personally check what are the actual differences between the CRF250 n CRB300 (286cc).
but hey ,can order original parts if is possible!Did anyone maybe look into it, or suggestions?

I was thinking the same the other day while in a Honda shop that had a CBR 300 and CRF 250 next to each other, the motors look exactly the same and Honda are well know for sharing parts across the range, i was talking with some Thai guy's the other day on the exact same subject and they will be looking into the idea.

we'll see the 'new' crf300 l/m sooner then what we think..but i can't wait..the crf is another toy.too bad i am not around a honda dealer now.would love to take a look at the manuals.I think is very feasible for around 10000B based on a quote they gave me on these parts i requested.btw Honda doesn't do the work since is not 'standard'

I don't think Honda is going to make a CRF300 because Kawasaki has a 250 single and sales seem to be good.
Honda had to up the CBR because of the Ninja 300, I think as long as Kawa doesn't offer a KLX300 Honda won't change the CRF250.
Hope I'm wrong even though I'll keep my 250 and leave it as it is for a few years.

we'll see the 'new' crf300 l/m sooner then what we think..but i can't wait..the crf is another toy.too bad i am not around a honda dealer now.would love to take a look at the manuals.I think is very feasible for around 10000B based on a quote they gave me on these parts i requested.btw Honda doesn't do the work since is not 'standard'

No way Honda would do the work, you'd have to find a reliable Thai mech and if something doesn't work it's your problem.
I wouldn't consider doing that until the engine has done at least 50,000 km.

noo probs about putting it in..(beside myself) I have a couple of good mechanic friends/options to do the work..the point now is to know if the crank case is big enough to fit the upgraded part in.
may I ask you what is your theory about the 50000km ?

No way Honda would do the work, you'd have to find a reliable Thai mech and if something doesn't work it's your problem.
I wouldn't consider doing that until the engine has done at least 50,000 km.

to bump the existing crf to '300' isn't big deal for such a giant like Honda,and surely would make sales skyrocket , expecially if the klx stays 250

I don't think Honda is going to make a CRF300 because Kawasaki has a 250 single and sales seem to be good.
Honda had to up the CBR because of the Ninja 300, I think as long as Kawa doesn't offer a KLX300 Honda won't change the CRF250.
Hope I'm wrong even though I'll keep my 250 and leave it as it is for a few years.

noo probs about putting it in..(beside myself) I have a couple of good mechanic friends/options to do the work..the point now is to know if the crank case is big enough to fit the upgraded part in.
May I ask you what is your theory about the 50000km ?

I'm happy with the way the bike runs since I opened the muffler and am not willing tearing a new engine apart and spending 10,000 B or how much those parts are.

I've done 14,000 km in the first year and may consider upping the cc when it's time to look at a rebuild, in about three years.

Of course if a CRF300M would be out by then I may sell the 250 and buy a new 300 but I doubt it.

to bump the existing crf to '300' isn't big deal for such a giant like Honda,and surely would make sales skyrocket , expecially if the klx stays 250

Honda is quite a conservative company when it comes to finances. The CRF250 is not their most important model I don't think they will mess with success and stroke the CRF for no other reason than that it may sell better. The CRF outsells the KLX already.
Let's make a bet - I say that a year from now Honda won't be a selling a stroked CRF300L or M anywhere. If you think otherwise, the bet is on! :)

i am quiet happy how it runs but i like mods and to interact with the bikes,btw
open up a muffler wont do much if not in connection with other mods,sounds 'fatter' ,but at least front 13T sprocket+ JETty controller goes well with it..
anyway at moment i run out of mods ,and for 10K i wouldn't mind to upgrade it(quiet cheap considered kits in TH are only import and can cost 20K and up)although i've done only 12000km in less then six months i was able to use it, difficult to wait for 'the right time' to rebuild it ;)
lets see about the crf300 ,it would be a smart move

I'm happy with the way the bike runs since I opened the muffler and am not willing tearing a new engine apart and spending 10,000 B or how much those parts are.

I've done 14,000 km in the first year and may consider upping the cc when it's time to look at a rebuild, in about three years.

Of course if a CRF300M would be out by then I may sell the 250 and buy a new 300 but I doubt it.

it would be lovely to hear of any progress ..cheers :)

I was thinking the same the other day while in a Honda shop that had a CBR 300 and CRF 250 next to each other, the motors look exactly the same and Honda are well know for sharing parts across the range, i was talking with some Thai guy's the other day on the exact same subject and they will be looking into the idea.

It took much less then expected, I see on CRF Thailand page the 300L 2015 on it !sounds like fun..and u owe me a beer! Hehe :banana:

Honda is quite a conservative company when it comes to finances. The CRF250 is not their most important model I don't think they will mess with success and stroke the CRF for no other reason than that it may sell better. The CRF outsells the KLX already.
Let's make a bet - I say that a year from now Honda won't be a selling a stroked CRF300L or M anywhere. If you think otherwise, the bet is on! :)

This pic was on CRF Thailand facebook page.not sure what the thai description say
(?) :hmm
But that could be possible..
IMG_71147789338709.jpeg
Please post a link - I believe it when I see it! :)

Anything is possible...

I've seen that pic more than a year ago.

Put the Thai description into Google translator - that should be good for a laugh! :)

I m on the phone (travelling Italy)couldnt copy/translate,but
Sure this will happen!such a small change will lead to huge biz, and definetly take over klx's sales..
Keep my beer in the fridge for now ;)

Anything is possible...

I've seen that pic more than a year ago.

Put the Thai description into Google translator - that should be good for a laugh! :)

Rumors!

Let's have some fun then:

Attachments

• honda-crf-250L-frame.jpg
    honda-crf-250L-frame.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,265
Looking on the bright side, I just cannot see Honda keeping two engine production lines going, just not sensible. They are probably in the process of 'tweaking' the CBR engine for the CRF now.
Otherwise, wonder how much a new CBR engine costs, should pop straight in.

Nothing to tweak.. No sure what u mean ,anyway changing displacemnt is all they did to the 'new' CBR300 .apparently same piston cbr/crf as before.no rocket science+ CBR /CRF already share loads of identical parts..do not lounch a CRF300 just doesn't make sense at this point. Lets see ;)

Looking on the bright side, I just cannot see Honda keeping two engine production lines going, just not sensible. They are probably in the process of 'tweaking' the CBR engine for the CRF now.
Otherwise, wonder how much a new CBR engine costs, should pop straight in.

@Forrest
I would imagine they need to change fuelling and emissions for a larger engine with different charactaristics as it's so critical due to legislation these days.
The CRF has a completely different throttle body (smaller) and ECU.

@Forrest
I would imagine they need to change fuelling and emissions for a larger engine with different charactaristics as it's so critical due to legislation these days.
The CRF has a completely different throttle body (smaller) and ECU.

We are still talking of a worldwide superpower called Honda.. Just wait :dirtbike:

"I just cannot see Honda keeping two engine production lines going, just not sensible."

Of course Honda can. Changing an engine would not make sense, it's just not necessary. The CBR had to grow to "equal" the Ninja.

"...wonder how much a new CBR engine costs, should pop straight in."

You can't buy a complete assembled engine, only all the parts.

Might as well buy only the relevant parts and either do the job yourself or find a good mechanic.

Not worth it, IMO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Honda Motorcycles 10
2wheels Honda Motorcycles 206
Back
Top Bottom