CRF Mods and Improvements

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
A very friendly and helpful gathering of enthusiastic Thai and 'Faring' CRF owners gathered at Thapae Gate last night and had these bikes on show.
Just sharing ideas and contacts was what it was all about.

Honda chain guard.

This 160 baht plug prevents water getting in to vital joints.

The bar and smaller mirrors looked good.

LED indicators front and rear.

Phil has already posted this one; looks and sounds good.

Plastic cylinder for holding rego sticker (but is that its only function?)

Also here.
The red wire remains, for me, a mystery.
All I could ascertain was that it 'grounded the battery' and made things more 'accurate'.
I must improve my Thai.
Does anyone know what this wire does?
A couple of CRFs had it fitted.

Very neat tank bag with magnetic base.

You can see how much lower the front white CRF is compared to the others.
jb has shown how the owner lowered the rear ...

... this is how he lowered the front.

About 20 CRFs turned up.
One guy invited us on a Sunday ride to Samoeng.

As I said, friendly and enthusiastic CRF owners.
I'll make it a regular visit; thanks for the 'heads up' jb.

That red wire "grounding" the battery? Sounds dodgy to me (plus an interesting choice of colour for a ground wire!). I can't believe a company like Honda made this bike that requires a fat cable like that....All I can think of is it directly grounds the engine and not by way of frame bolts. I can't say my bike exhibits any need for it yet, maybe something in it but I would easily do it in a more decreet way if needed.

Those frame hole caps are just show and not all that secure either, a mate had one fitted and it just about falls out on it's own.

I'm wondering about that canister behind the cylinder, looks like an fuel evaporative catch can for emmissions, I reckon you could pull that off, block the pipes and clean up that area and it will run the same.

Nice looking bikes 2W, all so clean as well..

Chain guard seems a bit OT though :|

8808d1345350714t-crf-chiang-mai-honda-crf-club-meeting-cnx-saturday-evenings-dsc03465.jpg

Hahaha, yes, the bikes look very clean here in the picture but they are being sold as "offroad bikes" by Honda or probably better "dual purpose" bikes both for off and on-road riding and the bikes is well at home in the dirt and mud.

MR Trung, my dirty dual-purpose CRF is in the line up but hidden from view!

Nae at the Moto X shop next to Riders Corner has spring loaded gear levers in stock if anyones interested. 790 B.

Yes, he has them too. These are well made and look nickel plated as you would find on the OEM parts, no cut, weld and paint on these.

Chiang Mai Motocross shop hinged end gear pedal selector

View attachment 8916

View attachment 8917

& rear brake pedal

View attachment 8918

View attachment 8919

790 Bht each.

Also worth thinking about changing the FRONT sprocket down to 13 tooth from the standard 14 tooth if you ride off-road. 1 tooth change on the front sprocket has the same gearing effect as 4 teeth on the back, so a perfect adjustment for off road.

Next time you're around the front of a Honda CRF 250 L, take a look at the front fork shock dust seals (the dust seals that keep the grime away from the internal suspension oil seals to be clear).

Whats interesting is that there's no compression spring built into the the dust seal to keep it tight onto the fork leg, its just the elasticity tension of the rubber materiel dust seal is made of, that keeps it tight on the fork leg, which isn't good, this allows all kinds of grit and dirt to get passed the dust seal way too easily. Next time you see a Kawasaki KLX 250 fork dust seal you will see that there is a spring around the circumference of the fork dust seal which keeps a constant pressure on the fork leg, a much better arrangement for keeping the dirt out.

There doesn't seem to be any other fork dust seal with the spring tensioning arrangement that fits the CRF 250 L, one solution is to wire tie some neoprene tube on the fork covering the dust seal, this will help lengthen the life of your front fork seals for sure.

Two factory Honda CRF250L machines of (#101) Manoch Abdullkalee and (#102) Jesadang Chotana, that just won the Asia cross country rally!

View attachment 9008

Nae at the Chiang Mai MX shop sells the performance modification kits that these bikes had, which consists of a new ECU, performance camshaft, larger throttle body fuel intake for the fuel injection and an upgraded clutch to deal with the extra power.

View attachment 9009

This kit costs about 19,000 bht & you'll need a performance exhaust as well which will add another 5-10,000 bht.

Nae thinks this will bring the power from 18HP up to 28HP.

View attachment 9745

Also worth thinking about changing the FRONT sprocket down to 13 tooth from the standard 14 tooth if you ride off-road. 1 tooth change on the front sprocket has the same gearing effect as 4 teeth on the back, so a perfect adjustment for off road.
:hmm
Actually, closer to 3.
40/14=2.86

:deal

Anybody figured how to get the weight down on the crfl - and what it can be got down to?

crs, I'm starting by trying to drop quite a few kgs off my own body!
Then I'll work on the bike's muffler.

Seriously; a casual riders body weight is probably a factor too readily overlooked (or deliberately ignored) by many when trying to lighten the overall package.

Seriously; a casual riders body weight is probably a factor too readily overlooked (or deliberately ignored) by many when trying to lighten the overall package.

Yes I am expecting the KLX to accelerate a lot quicker this holiday now its rider has shed 13KG

This kit costs about 19,000 bht & you'll need a performance exhaust as well which will add another 5-10,000 bht.

Nae thinks this will bring the power from 18HP up to 28HP.

Thats a very good power increase for the money

Talking about larger sized gents, I cranked up the preload on my rear shock today. I was following a mate on one who is about the same weight as me and it made me realise it needs doing. Wasn't too hard, just take the seat and right side plastic cover off, get a long (old!) screwdriver and bash away. There's no way you are getting the proper tool in there...I couldn't get the top locking nut undone so I hit the lower nut and it moved eventually. It's pretty tight. It wasn't very technical as in measuring the sag and all but a quick ride found it feeling much better although I may play with it some more. Well worth the effort.

Thats a very good power increase for the money

A radical (50%) power increase like that,with the same engine displacement, would also suggest a radical change in the power delivery and make it harder to ride in the tighter more technical stuff.

I think 20-30% would be a major gain but we`ll never know unless one were put on a dyno!

Happy to be proved wrong though.

which consists of a new ECU, performance camshaft, larger throttle body fuel intake for the fuel injection and an upgraded clutch to deal with the extra power.

Sure doesn't take them long to come up with mods, does it?

Just wondering though.
The standard CRF does about 200kms per tank ridden mildly.
With the 'go faster' mods I imagine the range would be down to 150kms-ish?
This is a significant factor when planning an off-road ride.
Or maybe the mods make the thing even more efficient and the km-age isn't effected too much?

Sure doesn't take them long to come up with mods, does it?

Just wondering though.
The standard CRF does about 200kms per tank ridden mildly.
With the 'go faster' mods I imagine the range would be down to 150kms-ish?
This is a significant factor when planning an off-road ride.
Or maybe the mods make the thing even more efficient and the km-age isn't effected too much?

My take on it Ron would be if you are getting that much more power from a larger throttle body then you will pay for it with increased fuel consumption, my KLX drinks it if riding it fast whereas riding more sedately gives good mileage

How many km per tank was you getting CS? I got 150 from full to when the low fuel light started to flash on my last tank full tank and I ride pretty hard.

How many km per tank was you getting CS? I got 150 from full to when the low fuel light started to flash on my last tank full tank and I ride pretty hard.

Road riding around 210km- 220km the light comes on, off-road variable with terrain around 170km -180km.

Yep, same as Phil.
My CRF, ridden at a steady 80-90kph on a variety of bitumen roads, returns 33-35 km/l.
So I'm looking to top up by 200 kms, preferring not to run the tank dry.

It will be very interesting indeed to see what Khun Nae gets out of his kitted CRF.

Usually around 190 km before the light comes on but thats not riding it hard

Usually around 190 km before the light comes on but thats not riding it hard

That's quite a big difference. I don't always wring its neck - I would say actually I only really push it 20% of the time as riding in Bangkok doesn't give me much opportunity! I'm only 70kg too. I filled up this morning and I will monitor it again to make sure my figures are correct.

Cheers

Hello far Eastern friends.

I had an awkward fall with my new CRF and managed to brake the headlight and mangle the headlight bracket/assembly.
It was difficult enough to get the bike in this part of the world, but OEM parts are even harder to come by.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to track down these parts?
I figured, since the bike is made in Thailand there should be parts available.

Cheers.

Try Honda Big Wing in Bangkok

email:

hondabigwing@aphonda.co.th

View attachment 10225

Hello far Eastern friends.

I had an awkward fall with my new CRF and managed to brake the headlight and mangle the headlight bracket/assembly.
It was difficult enough to get the bike in this part of the world, but OEM parts are even harder to come by.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to track down these parts?
I figured, since the bike is made in Thailand there should be parts available.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, Phill.
I sent them an email so we'll see what happens.

Could you tell me if those hinged gear and brake pedals are available for (international) order?

Cheers.

3,100 Km's & mine needs a new clutch (it's been off road). All in cost from the Honda dealer - 2,700 Bht

3,100 Km's & mine needs a new clutch (it's been off road). All in cost from the Honda dealer - 2,700 Bht
funny mines on 2600 km and i was thinking clutch feels a bit worn ,was there no chance of getting it done under the warranty phil i mean what a 5 month old bike with only that kms on should be covered obviously you dont go in the dealership and tell them you have beemn caning it off road.
maybe approaching the dealer playing it dumb and making out its only ben ridden on road and you dont know whats wrong with it ,then when he tells you it needs a new clutch act all surprised and ask why a 5 month old bike needs a new clutch already might have adifferent outcome

That is realy terrible and not Hondalike. And you are a rider, whose doing all nedded maintenace. If the clutch lever was corect and the cable not to tied, this is a shame for Honda. A hot clutch makes the cable a lttle bit more tied. Think about that when adjust . Is a new clutch also under waranty? I don´t think so. Our old XRs don´t needed new clutches very offen and my CRF 230 never had a new one within 6 years now. Only off-road, mostly hard working 2-. 3- or 4 hours Enduros.

That is realy terrible and not Hondalike. And you are a rider, whose doing all nedded maintenace. If the clutch lever was corect and the cable not to tied, this is a shame for Honda. A hot clutch makes the cable a lttle bit more tied. Think about that when adjust . Is a new clutch also under waranty? I don´t think so. Our old XRs don´t needed new clutches very offen and my CRF 230 never had a new one within 6 years now. Only off-road, mostly 2-. 3- or 4 hours Enduros.

Not under warranty they tell me, Lan at C&P tells me his off road CRF's have needed new clutches too.

Back
Top Bottom