Chiang Rai Ride Reports

KMA

Bikes
05 KTM 250 excf, 96 XR250
So about two weeks ago I made the move to CR. Wondering if anyone has info on any riders groups up here, on and/or offroad?

Possible venue for a future NOB ride up there?

Also anyone in CR or elsewhere have any leads on offroad bikes for sale here??

Plenty to choose from around Chiang Rai

ForumRunner_20130726_125046.png
The RideAsia.net map using Orux Maps andriod application

I'm away right now...LR might be able to furnish a better view of the Chiang Rai trail region.

So about two weeks ago I made the move to CR. Wondering if anyone has info on any riders groups up here, on and/or offroad?

Yep, I'm CR. Check here for a CR biker forum bit (more on-road - you might even find a bike via that forum.)... There's Marty at CR Saddlebags as a good general info source: Chiang Rai Saddlebags. Nice guy - pop by for a chat. He organises or communicates about regular (monthly?) road rides.

So, that's more on-road orientated... For off-road, I couldn't really find any off-roaders at first so I just went riding on my own to explore Lam Nam Kok NP. But, I now know a few who might be up for a ride, if they're back in town or not busy. I haven't been out around LNK since May - when the rains started (a lot more early rain here than CM). Don't think many of my regular routes will be fun when wet as too steep and slippery (clay soil) but there's maybe some bits that are OK... Could go check but haven't fancied riding that area on my own this time of year as it's isolated and would be risky going. I just know that one area well - some of the other riders could know more tracks around CR that are better for rainy season.

Been real busy but got my bike serviced and sorted so ready for a ride when I get chance - maybe weekends. You can see where I normally go (GPX files) here: http://www.facebook.com/c0h0r0i0s. Most of that is up on www.openstreetmap.org now.

Also, if your Thai is OK, there's Chiang Rai Enduro Club which is the local Thai group. Look like a good bunch and they go out (not sure if same in rainy season) weekends. Meaning to go out with them sometime... (My Thai is crap - which makes things impractical. There's apparently one falang who rides with them sometimes - who I'll try and talk to sooner or later.) << ????????????????? (CHIANGRAI ENDURO CLUB) #2 >> One of their riders has a bike shop about here: 19.902042,99.825683 if you want to enquire.

Fantastic info Chris, lets try and organize a group ride around Chiang Rai, im sure Gordie in Phrao would join on his WR 450 too.

Fantastic info Chris, lets try and organize a group ride around Chiang Rai, im sure Gordie in Phrao would join on his WR 450 too.

Yep, up for that whenever... Think Bob said David Bailey knows the tracks around well, and I think Ronny is back in Thailand just about - and he knows the wider area better than me.

Yep, up for that whenever... Think Bob said David Bailey knows the tracks around well, and I think Ronny is back in Thailand just about - and he knows the wider area better than me.

Great. ...when im back in cnx, lets arrange something

KMA pm me and we can get together for on or off road to suit you.

The river trail to Fang would be a good ride right now Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Here's a shot of the track that heads to Fang,although there are a couple of sections that would be "interesting" after the rain. The track on the North side of the Kok river passing the elephant camp would be doable that heads up towards Mae Salong would also be a good option.

Gpx of the route heading from Chiang Rai to Wiang Haeng.

View attachment Chiang Rai to Wiang Haeng heading along the Kok river.GPX

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 07.31.40.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 07.31.40.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 547
Well, clouds but no rain all morning so set off to check how the tracks are. 2 mins and it pissed down. Got as far as crsaddlebags where I went to get some new goggles. Saw Mark (Lakota) there... Bob - usually busy weekdays at mo but let me know if u fancy a scout around anytime.

KMA pm me and we can get together for on or off road to suit you.

The river trail to Fang would be a good ride right now Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Sold my KLX and need to find a replacement ASAP. Will pm when I have a bike and time to go

Well, clouds but no rain all morning so set off to check how the tracks are. 2 mins and it pissed down. Got as far as crsaddlebags where I went to get some new goggles. Saw Mark (Lakota) there... Bob - usually busy weekdays at mo but let me know if u fancy a scout around anytime.

OK Chris will try early this next week, getting a new clutch on the KLX Monday (i hope) so any time after then.

Sold my KLX and need to find a replacement ASAP. Will pm when I have a bike and time to go

OK no probs, maybe you could try asking at Kog dirt shop tel 0812 891647, speaks some english he may be able to put you onto something or talk to the guy at DD rentals across from the entrance into the Wangcome hotel he speaks english and knows everybody !!!

Certainly have to pick the right time or wait for rainy season to finish.

Would the ride to DMS be over night or possible there and back in a day?

I just remembered the owner of Little House is a keen dirt rider and promised hed take me out from there one day pointing northwards.

Little house, thats the coffee shop in the middle of town right ?

The route from CR to DMS could be done easily in one day and then on to CNX but as you say you need to pick your time so best plan for a stop over.

am back in CR , old XR started good after 5 months , but need some major engine check up later , should be able to join a trip next week , know quite a few tracks around ... cheers , Ronny

am back in CR , old XR started good after 5 months , but need some major engine check up later , should be able to join a trip next week , know quite a few tracks around ... cheers , Ronny

Good to here we've got another rider in town Ronny and welcome aboard Ride Asia. Maybe we could get together for a coffee say 12 noon at the Hub coffee shop Monday for a chinwag, Chris are you available ??? will PM my number to you.

Good to here we've got another rider in town Ronny and welcome aboard Ride Asia. Maybe we could get together for a coffee say 12 noon at the Hub coffee shop Monday for a chinwag, Chris are you available ??? will PM my number to you.

Depends how busy things are. Maybe.

Been a lot of rain here... I'll go out with you guys but think I'll be hanging on till things get dryer before getting back into riding much. Might get bored and take the engine out of my bike and check it better. Maybe get that big bore fitted sooner rather than later.

It is pissing it down and has done for days... Plenty of flooding...

Sod it - soon as I get time I'm going to get the engine out of my bike and check it - can't see any riding happening for a fair while yet!

(I know KTM Cambodia did something to the map when they 'derestricted' it - and I'm not sure it's running right. So, going to check the timing, get the big bore in and get the ecu checked/reset for the right map and sorted for the big bore (will send it to US)).

Anyways, keep the NOB/whatever ride scheduled in for when the conditions are better - there are loads of excellent tracks round here. But, right now, I think you might get further with a dingy then a bike...

Sod it - soon as I get time I'm going to get the engine out of my bike and check it - can't see any riding happening for a fair while yet!

(I know KTM Cambodia did something to the map when they 'derestricted' it - and I'm not sure it's running right. So, going to check the timing, get the big bore in and get the ecu checked/reset for the right map and sorted for the big bore (will send it to US)).

Anyways, keep the NOB/whatever ride scheduled in for when the conditions are better - there are loads of excellent tracks round here. But, right now, I think you might get further with a dingy then a bike...

Pouring here this morning in Chiang Mai too Chris, good luck with the engine check.

Ya,was thinking of the more hospitable months,Nov-Dec.

Got out today for a ride... Surprised - I thought the tracks would be a mess but what I went on wasn't bad - in fact the lower uncovered tracks were good going - with only odd bits of wet stuff. Higher up on the covered tracks, they were damp/wet - but not too bad. Not much slippery as fk red muck - which I thought would be everywhere. Like I say, considering the rain we've had here (lot more then CM), I was surprised... Will try get out again soon. :G

View attachment 2August.gpx

Princess Gardens
IMG_0353.jpg

Panorama somewhere
panorama.jpg

Like my bike! :G :G :G

(But I did decide to test the limits of its tank range, in the middle of nowhere, with no phone signal... After some pushing of the bike, I gave up and hid it then cadged a lift (after more walking - I was knackered) to get some fuel... At least I know now... :RE I was expecting a 'reserve light' range similar to the thrifty KLX, that could go for ages on the reserve tank. Nope - reckon only 20-25k after the light. Good job I turned back home early cos of thunder and lightning getting closer - or I would have had a loooong way to walk.)

Full tank to empty, 175kish (not 100% how far I rode it before 1st filing up) but about 75-100k of that tank must have been road (riding back to Trat). In the future, will plan on 150k riding offroad from full to empty - with 20k left after fuel light comes on - and see how that goes.

We certainly had the best break in the weather yesterday for a while. Think about getting one of these Multifuel bottles Chris, I know most people here are adamant that you don't need spare fuel here but if it will prevent you leaving a new KTM hidden in bushes and hiking back to Civilisation , It's a no brainer. at least to me.
The half litre bottle shown in the picture would probably have got you an extra 10-12 K which would have done the trick. you can see it's not very big in comparison to the glasses case shown.

2013-08-04 01.24.01.jpg

I think that once you establish an average fuel range for your dirt bike it`s not too hard to manage fuel top ups.

I know my reserve will do around 40k`s on average terrain.

Shouldn't happen around Lam Nam Kok again now I know the fuel range - but it can happen when you're riding unknown areas or if you have a problem (have to use a lot of fuel trying to get out of someplace you've got stuck - or lose fuel after dropping the bike). I used to take spare fuel (just in a plastic drinks bottle) with me around Lam Nam Kok till I got to know it better, as not many petrol shops about. I just figured wrong with the new bike. Oopsy. I shouldn't forget - not after pushing the bike up hills yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom