Chiang Rai Ride Reports

Chris,

like you say, it shouldn't happen. but for the sake of carry a small bottle the size of a small bottle of fanta in your backpack I think It's worth carrying.
noticed on another thread someone ran out of fuel yesterday on the road. That shouldn't happen too.

If you'll use it, and as your the first to almost agree it's a good idea then the small bottle in the photo is yours ;)

If you'd rather carry a 1L bottle instead. I have a 1L Sigg Bottle you can have instead.

^Cheers, Mark. I'll have that small one, if that's spare. They are a good idea... PM me what you want for it then I'll grab it off you some time.

Latest Chiang Rai trails we've got

chiang rai with notes.jpg

Sunny day yesterday so went out and found some 'interesting' tracks!

Was going to just check condition of tracks I know well but ended up going exploring... Few really overgrown and tricky sections but found some quite nice bits too. Then I saw an old enduro route marker - so thought I should go check it out.

IMG_0359.jpg

Really overgrown so no one had used the track for a good while. Like an obstacle course - loads of low bamboo, fallen trees I had to drag the bike under, narrow 'tightrope' parts with steep drops... Like I say, 'interesting'... But I figured that was the intention. Anyways, half a k to a village then this:

IMG_0362.jpg

Hmmm... Well, I really couldn't be arsed turning round and dragging my bike uphill under that fallen tree again, so...

The problem was the wide handlebars - I couldn't just speed over the 'that ain't going to hold me' overhang, cos one clip of the bars on the side would knock me and the bike into the 'gorge of death'. So, I had to try and angle the bike and hang off with my leg down on the wall side to get the bars past. Started OK... kept on creeping along... Got the bars past the narrow bit and thought I could gas it past now...

Unfortunately, that extra power from the rear wheel did it - the edge gave way.

IMG_0363.jpg

Luckily it caught on the skidplate and I was able to get the bike leant over enough to sit for a bit. Tied it up to bamboo overhead then spent the next hour or so trying to lift it - but had to give up and come back with some help as it needed the front and back lifting at the same time to get it upright on that narrow a ledge.

Pretty fking stupid - but entertaining... Sort of. (I am not keen on heights.) The girlfriend has threatened to take a baseball bat to the bike if I don't stop riding on my own. :RE

Happy with the bike. Going to sort the bb kit soonish though as, for me, it'd be better with more power low down. (It's tuned to power in mid to high - good for racing but I'd prefer more low down torque. That's why I didn't go for the 350 as supposed to be tuned the same. Maybe a little more low torque with the 350 over the 250, but, from reviews, I think the 250 with the 300 bb should be good.)

Taking it to the limit there Chris kin-hell.

I'm not sure what reviews you've read on the 350 but they seem off to me. The 250 is a gutless blandmobile compared to the 350, which has plenty of low end. Next time you come to CM try mine and prepare to be impressed.

Just letting you know you bought the wrong bike! Cheers Daz

Chris before the GF bins the bike let me take it of your hands to keep you safe.

Excellent stuff mate bloody crazy to do it on your own though

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Taking it to the limit there Chris kin-hell.

I'm not sure what reviews you've read on the 350 but they seem off to me. The 250 is a gutless blandmobile compared to the 350, which has plenty of low end. Next time you come to CM try mine and prepare to be impressed.

Just letting you know you bought the wrong bike! Cheers Daz
Deal. I'll get kit in in a few months - then we'll do a comparo...

Chris before the GF bins the bike let me take it of your hands to keep you safe.

Excellent stuff mate bloody crazy to do it on your own though

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Well, you can stop the crazy on occasion, can't ya.

Will have to make efforts to get out riding with Chiang Rai Enduro Club...

Well, you can stop the crazy on occasion, can't ya.

Will have to make efforts to get out riding with Chiang Rai Enduro Club...

think i know the downhill trail there , ending up on the road to ban jalhae village , risky , even with bycicle , the Ortev sign is from a 2-day mtb race , yearly in februari , organised mainly for japanese bikers , big event , hope my bike is ready next week to join the club , not planning any crazy trail , but you never know ...

^Guess you mean the circuit pics on that 1st page, Lou. Dunno where that is - it might be a track NW of CR, but not sure and the girlfriend couldn't spot a location in the Thai writing... Could be further away.

If you keep looking through the pages, you'll see they normally ride trails. There's the odd competition amongst the pics though - and I know they do these local sometimes.

(Maybe try ask Max about track info like that...)

P.S. they also like to 'spice' up the thread with girly pics - so watch out if anybody is at work or your Mrs is stood behind ya when you go check that link... Might lead to a slap round the back of the head!

Oh those pics are much tamer than the ones i get caught with :boxing 555

Would be nice to do some riding up that way in the upcoming ride season.

Found where that track is yet Chris :)

Attachments

• MAE1720_resize.JPG
    MAE1720_resize.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 459
If it doesn't piss down before then, will probably get out for a ride out on Sat - if anyone is interested.

^ looks like some storms developing as we speak?

Anyone up for a ride in the next day or two? that road that starts out behind boon rawd farms looks good

Don't know where u mean - but I'm looking to get out for a ride if get a break in the rain. Tomorrow is probably ok if it doesn't rain tonight - or Tue, if lucky and still no rain.

Bob? Ronny?

Don't know where u mean - but I'm looking to get out for a ride if get a break in the rain. Tomorrow is probably ok if it doesn't rain tonight - or Tue, if lucky and still no rain.

Bob? Ronny?
OK PM sent

my bike should be ready soon now , all parts finally arrived last week

This weekend. On the way up to Mae Fa Luang University, about 4k off the main road to the right:

20130910_184644.jpg

CRS and myself are looking at doing a ride in the next couple of days. Weather is supposed to be sunny the next few days. Any other riders interested in going let us know here

CRS and myself are looking at doing a ride in the next couple of days. Weather is supposed to be sunny the next few days. Any other riders interested in going let us know here

Bob's got new tyres ....he's got no excuse

Lakota was up for a ride but isn't free till Monday - and not sure when Bob gets back from his fishing trip.

Ronny?

Any other C. Rai dirt riders we don't know about? Checking with one other guy...

need to make a trip to immigration mae sai tomorrow Friday , ready for ride on another date

Jim / Ronny - Saturday, Sunday, Monday are all fine for me.

All depends on the rain - got to squeeze in rides when you can!

Lets say Saturday then, and maybe Monday too - if no rain by then. OK, Ronny?

^ The coffee place near yours again is OK for me.

Or the PTT garage in town on the same road in... Depends which way we're heading out.

just back from mtb ride checking out some trails , have a few ideas for tomorrow , one is start dirt @ huai pa kang direction Bandu , coming out @mae jo area , then heading to ban jalhae on dirt before small bridge , make the crossing to the road to elefant camp , from there can head over to Singha farm past Don cafe , try to slip and slide again same trail where we turned back last time , should be better now , maybe can meet just after mae fa luang old bridge , just an idea , or maybe you want to head out to doi chaang , can do also , ...

Back
Top Bottom