Mae Hong Son Loop North or South?

fritz442

Hello all,
Going to ride Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son in January. Just wondering if it's better to start North (counter clockwise) or South (clockwise) to maximize scenery, avoid traffic etc. Any preferences for those who have done it? Was looking at some of the past reports and can't seem to tell which is best. Great forum by the way!

Thanks,

Ed

Welcome..

Don't think it matters which way you go round, hairpins galore...

Perhaps I'm not the best one to tell as I fell off... :LOL

Don't think you will notice the scenery, you will be to busy on the bike...

Enjoy... :DD

Personally I prefer to do the loop clockwise because in that way you will have the stretch southward from Chiangmai to Chomthong first which can be boring (straight highway) so that you can keep the nice curves for last.

This thread reminds me of the Boxing day ride.2010...same route....

1206471289_KKBoh-L.jpg

What we doing this year ??? apart from staying upright.... :LOL

:DD

Ktm Chris said:
Chris "wrong road"

Oh dear, I suppose may as well with draw my cv for the post of...guide..

Never mind I still have fun when I'm lost .. :LOL

Make sure you pop into Riders corner... as well as Maps......they sell beer. :DD

Phil might even buy you one... :lol3

Hope I'm not wrong about that...

:RO

Will do. My dad and I were planning to come find you as soon as we got to CM. And thanks in advance Phil!

Ed

No problem

fritz442 said:
Will do. My dad and I were planning to come find you as soon as we got to CM. And thanks in advance Phil!

Ed

Attachments

• mhs 1000.jpg
    mhs 1000.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 5,441
On a heavy-ish bike (ER6 for example) I prefer to do the loop anti clock wise as the downhill hairpins from Mae Hong Son are hard on your forearms, or is that just me needing to go to the gym??

Hassman

Back
Top Bottom