Chiang Rai to Mae Hong Song

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
The area around Mae Hong Song and Pai is very interesting, although Pai is overrun with backpackers these days and the old charm of the place is long gone, from Wiang Haeng west are some fantastic trails and spectacular views. With the dry season finally upon us we decided to take a ride over taking a more unconventional route.

The whole route is a memorable 495km taking in some of the most beautiful scenery in Northern Thailand.

Making our way over Doi Chiang and the water ford is a must do before the climb.

Some taking the more gung-ho approach.

Reaching the 3037, the Mae Suai dam looking full for once.

The alluring smell of some BBq chicken had us stop for a quick snack, sadly it was the worse BBq we had ever had consisting of all the body part the local market could not sell !! As is normally the case a few km down the road was an excellent BBq set up, oh well next time.

Making the climb up to Doi Angkhang.

Quick detour to look at the surprisingly large lake in Arun Thai.

After a night overnight stop in Piang Luang, it was a cold misty start to the ride over to Pai.

Conveniently a gas stop marks the turn onto the trail at N19.58094° E98.61921°

Attractive looking cabin at the roadside complete with US style mailbox.

Once onto the dirt the once great trail is now fully graded.

A little further and more signs of the end of the trail as concrete begins.

The turn at the rangers station.

Wooded shaded areas still a little damp.

This gives a good idea of the condition of the trail.

This is the worst part that obviously gets very muddy in the wet season.

Approaching the Lisu village of Ban Muang Noi, the turn to the right ahead takes you up to the famous Huey crash site.

The remains of an old Wat and Stupa is a must stop N19.50932° E98.50578°

One of only two stream crossings remaining.

One way to cool down i guess.

Huay Chang Tao village

Soon after the rangers station marks the beginning of the paved ride to Pai.

After lunch in Pai we had mechanical issues, one of the bikes had seized up and had to carried back by pickup to Pai for repairs> another rental bike secured we finally made our was to MHS for the night.

Guesthouse owners American bull terrier, more than just a bit overweight.

Time to sample some delicious Burmese food at the Salaween restaurant before heading tot he crossroads bar for a few beers and a good nights sleep before we head to mae sariang in the morning

Last edited:
Wow, it looks like that they did quite a bit of work on the old wat and stupa since I was there some 4-5 years ago or so.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1061e.jpg

Smashing report Bob and good to see you back on RA again mate

Great report. I can remember falling over in that ford near Doi Chang.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

Great report. I can remember falling over in that ford near Doi Chang.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

I can understand why, it gets a nice coating of green slime on the concrete to add to the fun !!!

Back
Top Bottom