Loop south of Mae Hong Son. Trees and water wheel.

Cycle Wallah

Bikes
Merida Big Nine Lite Team Issue mountain bike.
I was on the way from Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son and took a dirt road west of 108 to relieve the boredom of riding on tarmac. It looked quite interesting on the GPS with no real climbs and lots of descent. Also there were some things to see along the way.
There was a small climb on a rough concrete road to start and at the top I came across some interesting trees. These trees had a monks sash around them with the addition of a cross.

6641ca2a7c89562295a1cd12e9b1e414.jpg

5eef6572e2d3f05573824d9b34a93186.jpg

I had seen Buddhist trees a plenty before but never with a cross. From here I started going down and saw another tree.

b6aa09d03cfab65430618195ecbed5b7.jpg

Continuing on now on dirt I could hear some loud claps of thunder. These were slowly getting louder until they were right above me and the heavens opened. Luckily I found a shelter and because it was four o'clock before the rain stopped I decided to stay the night.

bef0512fdfdf965e66d2b7836b0ee46d.jpg

It was quite a peaceful night apart from some very loud geckos so I was up and on the bike at seven. The dirt continued for while until it turned to a smaller track then finally to single track through a forest. Only me and the birds around.

b5e207402bbb143f8ad8d42abbcd4958.jpg

005011bad02fa8193a997b02c7099229.jpg

The single track went on for quite a while with a few small river crossings. The track itself was the river at one point. Nothing to deep though.

b0e032a70961963dcab8f7e82d3196e5.jpg

680520542f55facb277ef52a003497d0.jpg

ec8a2152785f4939d2c83d13b2f8c1a9.jpg

There was a tree marked on the GPS. This turned out to be a teak forest which was planted here some years ago.

8f6a88f0d3129c0ca46189a5369ab7b0.jpg

187c625b9054e0e4099eafd46ae3b7d0.jpg

The ride went on and on through the forest until I came to a dirt road going through some agricultural land. They were growing garlic here. I knew this because the overwhelming smell of it in the air.

37110645957de854d25c861533188d15.jpg

fe6d61e2ca1708a51857130289a42d37.jpg

Later came across a friendly water buffalo and her baby.

e46ddab76928da670821257027e97032.jpg

The dirt road ended at the junction of a concrete road and I found a pretty big water wheel. Not sure what it was used for or whether it was still in use.

73c46c394708570a40fe08a4bd0fb237.jpg

From the water wheel I made my way to a small village and had the cheapest noodle soup. 20 baht. Passing through the village I saw some buildings for drying garlic and a handy water machine,1 baht for 2 litres.

8aa5985d1736bed6e0037eb3e2c4e34d.jpg

adf01520cc40bbcf4fcc99255d698cfa.jpg

From here it was a paved road back to highway 108. Not the longest loop only 45 km but enjoyable.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul for posting, good to have you back... the water wheel is truly a piece of Thai ingenuity at it's finest.

Howdy Paul.
I had the pleasure of meeting you in Mae Sariang with Colin.
Thanks for reporting your loop here and hope to read more of your rides.
Happy Songkran!!
Ron

Howdy Paul.
I had the pleasure of meeting you in Mae Sariang with Colin.
Thanks for reporting your loop here and hope to read more of your rides.
Happy Songkran!!
Ron

It was a pleasure meeting you Ron.
Chok Dee Phi Mai.
Paul.

Paul, your pics of the trees wearing the 'community forestry project' signs intrigue me.
Those wooden crosses that appear to represent a Christian crucifix have a few of my Thai friends friends baffled.

6641ca2a7c89562295a1cd12e9b1e414.jpg

5eef6572e2d3f05573824d9b34a93186.jpg

When I first saw them I thought they meant that a nearby community had a Church in it.
Then I thought that perhaps the actual people who erected the signs were, most likely, 'hill-tribe' folk who were Christian.
Did you notice a Church in that vicinity?
Any other takers with suggestions? :confused:
Regards

There are certainly churches in the area and I meet many Christians. The trees with the crosses are new to me. The thing is they have monks orange sash also. Still none the wiser.

Paul, your pics of the trees wearing the 'community forestry project' signs intrigue me.
Those wooden crosses that appear to represent a Christian crucifix have a few of my Thai friends friends baffled.

View attachment 60825

View attachment 60826

When I first saw them I thought they meant that a nearby community had a Church in it.
Then I thought that perhaps the actual people who erected the signs were, most likely, 'hill-tribe' folk who were Christian.
Did you notice a Church in that vicinity?
Any other takers with suggestions? :confused:
Regards
According to a friend of mine the community forest was planted in 1994. Consisting of teak trees on 500 rai.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

The tree's are seen with the monks orange robe around them to protect them from deforestation, i guess with the cross it offers the tree double the protection from would be loggers.

Interesting knowing the reason about the monks orange sash on the trees as a couple of times this holiday I saw them along a narrow single track in the woods which I followed expecting to find something but the track just ended

The tree's are seen with the monks orange robe around them to protect them from deforestation, i guess with the cross it offers the tree double the protection from would be loggers.
Here's a bit more about the origins of the sashes... http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-31650591/buddhist-monk-ordains-trees-to-help-the-environment . As for the crucifixes, that could be interfaith cooperation , or rivalry ... but who cares which, as long as it's working to save the replanted trees!!
Great photos, CycleWallah... gotta admire your courage jungle-riding and camping solo!

Thanks 'oldbloke'.
I found these protected trees at back of Doi Saket Temple today.

DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3045.jpg

That's kinda spooky Paul.

" In Christianity

The origin of the symbol (inverted cross) comes from the Catholic tradition that Simon Peter was crucified upside down,[SUP][1][/SUP] as told by Origen of Alexandria. The tradition first appears in the "Martyrdom of Peter", a fragmented text found in, but possibly predating, the apocryphal Acts of Peter, which was written no later than 200 A.D. It is believed that Peter requested this form of crucifixion as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Jesus died. As such, some Catholics use this cross as a symbol of humility and unworthiness in comparison to Jesus.

According to Roman Catholicism, the pope is Peter's successor as Bishop of Rome. Therefore, the Papacy is often represented by symbols that are also used to represent Peter, one example being the Keys of Heaven and another the Petrine Cross.
Anti-Christian imagery

See also: Anti-Christian sentiment
By inverting the primary symbol of Christianity, the upside-down cross has become popular within anti-religion groups[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][unreliable source?][/SUP] and has appeared in films such as The Amityville Horror (1979 film), The Masque of the Red Death, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist: The Beginning, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Ghost, The Devil Inside, Paranormal Activity, Constantine, Devil, Phoonk, The Omen, The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, Omen, Annabelle, V/H/S: Viral and Gummo.

The inverted cross is also a recurring motif in punk rock and heavy metal, where it is embraced as symbol of anti-authoritarianism and defiance (but not necessarily Anti-Christian), and is featured in the iconography of punk-themed fashion label Cheap Monday, hip-hop collective Odd Future, worn by fictional bassist Murdoc Niccals of the band Gorillaz, one of the symbols associated with synthwave artist Carpenter Brut, throughout the rock opera American Idiot based on the music of Green Day and worn on a necklace by rapper Lil Uzi Vert."

(Wikipedia)

Back
Top Bottom