Garmin maps.. Ipad ??

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
When I am touring.. I tend to use my iPad and google maps, plan what I wish to do, then manually spec out waypoints and routes on my garmin GPS slowly and painfully with the map function and waypoints. Its a terrible way to work but thats the limitations.

I am near certain there is no way to connect the GPS via a USB adapter and send waypoints to it are there ?? I read a technical reason why this cant be done as a garmin connection but fail to understand why this couldnt be done in USB mode, if you can read and write to a USB stick under iOS, which you can, why cant this be done when the GPS emulates a USB stick ??

Is there any iOS app, similar to oruxmaps, that allows the loading of unlocked garmin FILENAME.IMG style maps ?? Even just for the browsing of the mapset ?? Or to make waypoints and routes that can be emailed ??

Of course the holy grail would be an app which allowed me to open the gramin format map, set waypoints and routes, plug the GPS in in USB mode (or bluetooth for the later models), and send it the days planned route.. Basecamp/Mapsource for iPad effectively.. Too simple I know. I have a dream folks.

Anyone using iOS has any tips ?? What about android ??

Just been playing around with bluestacks.com

This software enables you to run android as a virtual machine on windows, very easily & quickly, no partitioning the hard drive etc... as a virtual machine.

A screenshot below of what it looks like once installed on a windows (here 8.1)

bluestacks.jpg

Orux maps (android app) will then run on your windows machine (in the bluestacks.com virtual android software)

orux 1.jpg

Just installed this and can't find the root directory, in the windows program files, for the Orux maps app, to drag the north Thailand map into the Orux map, map files folder.

Why run android Orux maps software on a windows machine? - It's a quick and easy way to view/ run a Garmin .img map and if you have gps functionality, you can record your tracks etc.....

Curious what Orux gives you over using basecamp ??

Just because basecamp needs fiddling with then ??

However basecamp can then send routes to the GPS etc.

But your talking about using oruxmaps on a windows PC as a virtual machine.. Emulating android on your desktop... Not natively.

I think i said windows ...I'm using a surface pro tablet that runs windows

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

But the surface pro doesn't have a GPS does it ???

And even if it did, woud you really run a surface pro as one on a bike ??

But the surface pro doesn't have a GPS does it ???

And even if it did, woud you really run a surface pro as one on a bike ??

With wifi (from a phone) it will triangulate your position, very easy to make it a gps

USB GPS Dongle | Maplin

usb-gps-dongle.jpg

It's creating a free highly, sophisticated navigation/ mapping tool. If you were 4X4 in a truck, could save you buying a gps as it would navigate trail data. It's the beauty of having a big screen for planning that makes it interesting and it will be a free gps.

While I dont see myself every buying another iOS device..

Apple CarPlay ? new in-car OS unveiled in Geneva

Its ind of nuts how no one has made a really solid android / iOS front end that does navi / media and music / bluetooth phone sync / etc and stuck the whole lot as a front end to any tablet / iPod touch / iPad 7 incher etc.

Theres no reason for alpine style hardware any more, and those costs 100's of bucks even 1000's for the top end (I remember doing 16k on in car stuff back in europe for my motor.. Must have been out of my mind). could all be done and it would be a major premium priced app. I would spend 100 buck on that one bit of software.

More sophisticated processor speed is why you will

While I dont see myself every buying another iOS device..

Apple CarPlay ? new in-car OS unveiled in Geneva

Its ind of nuts how no one has made a really solid android / iOS front end that does navi / media and music / bluetooth phone sync / etc and stuck the whole lot as a front end to any tablet / iPod touch / iPad 7 incher etc.

Theres no reason for alpine style hardware any more, and those costs 100's of bucks even 1000's for the top end (I remember doing 16k on in car stuff back in europe for my motor.. Must have been out of my mind). could all be done and it would be a major premium priced app. I would spend 100 buck on that one bit of software.

But I wont buy another iOS device.. Android (or whetever else)..

Back
Top Bottom