Garmin Maps for Thailand on your i-Phone

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Anouncement today that you can buy an app for the i-Phone which lets you use the Garmin Thailand map on your phone. Price at the moment is 19.99 USD (till July 8) whereafter the price will be 29.99 USD. The app comes with 2 maps for Thailand - the Thai and the English version. The app is available from Apple Thailand see: http://itunes.apple.com/th/app/garmin-thailand/id524258843?mt=8
Here is a short video so you can see how it works and what it can do on your i-Phone.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuW59l4EHSM[/VIDEO]

Anyone know does it run TSM 12.1 or SEA 6.5

I dont use iPhone so cant check.

Most probably it will run the Thailand map which is part of SEA 7.6 as the map is said to be prepared by NAVTEQ.

I downloaded it yesterday. It seems ok and for 600 baht, who can complain. Now, I have to find a mount, waterproof case and power supply.

Does this map have more off-road detail then the TomTom Thailand map?
Pluto - if you find somewhere to get a mount, case, etc. please let us know where/how much.

I've also downloaded it, won't be able to try it out until my return to Thailand in August but for a weatherproof case I'm looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150712935019? ... 2244wt_987

And for a power supply something along the lines of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251074245310? ... 484wt_1075

Just wire it straight to the battery with a switch of some sort so it can be powered off when not in use then use a normal charge cable from USB to phone, maybe cover USB connection with some heat shrink or the likes to provide some waterproofing,
Open to other suggestions though, planning on buying the parts whilst I'm back in the uk then hand carrying over on my return!!!

This is indeed loking like a great facility for everyone in Thailand, and handles Thai & Bahasa as well.

Here are a few screen shots.
1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

But no import or export facility :cry
Ally

Thanks Ally for the quick heads-up on what is does and what is does not - no import/export of tracks and routes - bit of a bummer I guess for those who want to share routes.

Thailand 3d may be interesting.. Dont think I have that mapset.

Nokia smart phones comes with GPS and dito software. Nokia maps for most of the world, Thailand included, are free. Only basic functions however.

So, if you can't import, you're limited to however good the existing track mapping is... And you can't follow or share tracks with others. I'm thinking to use http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/ You can download and store maps - and import gpx files (and share your tracks). Hmmm...

I guess both these programs as well as others will have their pro's and con's. The StreetPilot app has free maps (lifetime) but only for the country you have bought the app for (some sites reported that you can also use other Garmin GPS maps but it appears that Apple/Garmin have blocked that now), it does auto-route and it has lots of Points of Interest but can not import/export tracks and waypoints although you can send your position through Facebook. The MotionX software can use OSM maps as well as Google maps and can import/export tracks and waypoints. However the maps may not always be as complete nor as clear as the Garmin maps used on the iPhone app.

Anyway, below is a FAQ for the Garmin StreetPilot iPhone app/program so you can see what it can do and what it can not dor.

StreetPilot FAQ

What is Safe Mode ?
While Safe Mode is activated, the Garmin device's functionality is limited while the vehicle is in motion. To disable Safe Mode on your unit follow the steps below:
1.Touch Settings
2.Touch General
3.Slide the toggle button to turn Safe Mode on and off
4.Repeat the above steps as needed.

Can I transfer favorites / waypoints from my Garmin device to StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone?
Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone is not capable of accepting personal data from external sources, such as Garmin navigation devices or Garmin computer software. At this time, data cannot be transferred from a Garmin device to the iPhone application.

Can I create a route with multiple stops in Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone?
Garmin StreetPilot Onboard can calculate a route with multiple stops. Multiple via points may be added to a route during navigation. Multi-point routes may also be created in the Trip Planner function of the Where To menu. Garmin Street Pilot Onboard does not support custom routes created using other sources such as websites or computer programs.

What can I do if my StreetPilot application cannot acquire satellites?
The StreetPilot application uses the internal GPS receiver on the iPhone to get a location fix. If the application fails to get a location fix, check the following:
Close the application down completely.

1.Press the Home button once to minimize the application
2.Double-press the Home button to bring up the app switcher
3.Long press StreetPilot until a red circle appears on the icon
4.Tap the red circle to close the application
Remain stationary for several minutes.
Ensure StreetPilot application has permission to use your location by checking the location services in the iOS settings.

1.Select Settings
2.Select Location Services
3.Select StreetPilot
4.Make sure ON is displayed next to the application

Doing the above will give the application the appropriate permissions and time to acquire satellite signal.

Can I add custom points of interest to Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone?
Garmin StreetPilot Onboard gives you access to Garmin’s database but it does not support adding additional or custom POI sets. The POIs that are available in Garmin StreetPilot include hotels, restaurants, parking, entertainment, fuel, shopping and more.

Can I use Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone with an external GPS?
Garmin StreetPilot Onboard operates exclusively on the iPhone's or iPad's built-in GPS. Connection to an external GPS is not supported.

How do I clear the track or trip log in Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone?
Tracks and trip logs are records of a traveled path or "electronic breadcrumb trails." Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone is capable of recording this information for use within the app.
To erase this recorded history, follow these directions:

1.On Garmin StreetPilot's home screen, touch Settings
2.Touch Navigation
3.Touch Trip Log
4.Touch Clear Trip Log
5.Touch Clear

How do I find the map version?
To locate the mapping version loaded to the app please do the following:

1.Touch Settings
2.Touch myMaps
Here you can see what mapping version is being used.

Am I able to minimize the app whilst routing?
Yes if the onboard app is routing and then minimized all of the audio voice prompts will still be sent through the speakers of the handset. If the app is then maximized the visual prompts will be shown as normal.

Is Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone compatible with my iPad?
Yes, the StreetPilot Onboard application is compatible with the iPad Wifi + 3G model (the iPad Wifi only model is not supported). However, this application is designed specifically for the iPhone and if you would like to have this app running full screen on your iPad, you will need to touch the ‘2x’ button on the bottom right of your iPad to scale the application to the resolution of your iPad.

Do I need to connect internet to use Garmin StreetPilot?
If you are the first time to use Garmin StreetPilot, connect to internet for authentication is needed. After this, our data is on board which means you don’t need internet connection.
If you haven’t got authentication in first time use, please follow these directions to re-authentication:
Close Garmin StreetPilot app

1.Press the Home button once to minimize the application
2.Double-press the Home button to bring up the app switcher
3.Long press StreetPilot until a red circle appears on the icon
4.Tap the red circle to close the application
Enable iPhone Wifi or 3G connection

1.Wifi: setting > Wi-Fi
2.3G connection: setting > general > network > cellular data
Open Garmin StreetPilot app again.

Can I use Garmin StreetPilot while listen to the music?
Yes, you can use Garmin StreetPilot while listen to the music. You can select Fade ambient audio mode from Settings > Audio and Display > Volume > Fade ambient audio.

Does Garmin StreetPilot support simulation?
Sorry, currently Garmin StreetPilot doesn’t support simulation function. ?????????????????

Can I buy extra map for my Garmin StreetPilot?
[/b]Garmin StreetPilot Onboard for iPhone is not capable of accepting personal data from external sources, such as Garmin navigation devices or Garmin computer software.

I have the app on my Iphone and hooked it up with a Ram mount, it works pretty good and pairing the unit to my helmet was easy giving me music and voice directions clearly, wish i could change the voices though, only two English ones to choose from and both are pretty mechanical.

Don't forget to switch off the auto rotate on the Iphone, otherwise the screen will be dancing at every corner :D

Back
Top Bottom