BaseCamp Screens:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

Get map

thanks for that, its an improvement to my previous cambodia map
A useful addition

OSM is becoming incredible.. A couple of years ago it was basic cambodian coverage.. A bit behind my best routable cambo map.. Then late last year I looked and it was much advanced.. And in just a few months its jumped up to having all kinds of foot trails and paths in superb detail. Crowdsourcing mapping is by far the way to have it worked out.

OSM covers the whole world and you can get maps for any part of the world here.

Make sure to select the 2nd map type, "Generic Routable (testing new style)", as it looks much better and has more POI icons showing. The site also allows you to manually combine your own area, rather than just pre-defined countries.

How can they possibly confirm the data is authentic? What is to stop a joker adding some fake trail data?

OSM covers the whole world and you can get maps for any part of the world here.

Make sure to select the 2nd map type, "Generic Routable (testing new style)", as it looks much better and has more POI icons showing. The site also allows you to manually combine your own area, rather than just pre-defined countries.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Because other users then delete it.. Errors are collaboratively fixed.

If its the first goat trail ever added, in all chances its a trail that wouldnt be on any other commercial mapping solution anyway..

Once OSM has an app that logs at the same time as it guides, hence it can see how users actually use roads and shortcuts in real world use, analyse traffic flow, it will be unbeatable.

Because other users then delete it.. Errors are collaboratively fixed.

If its the first goat trail ever added, in all chances its a trail that wouldnt be on any other commercial mapping solution anyway..

Once OSM has an app that logs at the same time as it guides, hence it can see how users actually use roads and shortcuts in real world use, analyse traffic flow, it will be unbeatable.

So anyone can add a bunch of fictitious trails and until proved otherwise they will be on the OSM map?

Thanks Nightrider, I have just started looking into getting OSM onto my Garmin, this will help.
As for the reliability, I use several maps to plan, especially in Thailand. I intend to experiment with my known area first this season at home.
I'm fed up with Garmin expecting me to pay nearly as much as I paid for the whole unit yearly to update. A bit like the printer and ink scam.
T.

So anyone can add a bunch of fictitious trails and until proved otherwise they will be on the OSM map?

I thought you can only add tracks that have been logged on a GPS so there is not really anyway fictitious tracks can be added, unless there is some way of tricking your gps into thinking it has been somewhere it hasn't been.

I thought you can only add tracks that have been logged on a GPS so there is not really anyway fictitious tracks can be added, unless there is some way of tricking your gps into thinking it has been somewhere it hasn't been.

Anyone can add anything to it just like wikipedia. A fake tracklog can be made by anyone with no more than notepad so a tracklog requirement will not stop a vandal. If you would add a track in a remote area it may stay on there for a long time before someone remove it. Vandalism is not an issue (yet) however.

The value of "road" data has evaporated away in the last few years with google maps etc.... Which all have been professionally mapped.

So to use something away from these free, professional, map data services, for trails it must be something that can be trusted? The data contribution mechanism for OSM is a recipe for disaster, you only need a couple of idiots and the whole credibility of the data could be compromised. They could use multiple IP addresses and logins and destroy this in no time.

Anyone can add anything to it just like wikipedia. A fake tracklog can be made by anyone with no more than notepad so a tracklog requirement will not stop a vandal. If you would add a track in a remote area it may stay on there for a long time before someone remove it. Vandalism is not an issue (yet) however.

The value of "road" data has evaporated away in the last few years with google maps etc.... Which all have been professionally mapped. So to use something away from these free, professional, map data services, for trails it must be something that can be trusted? The data contribution mechanism for OSM is a recipe for disaster, you only need a couple of idiots and the whole credibility of the data could be compromised. They could use multiple IP addresses and logins and destroy this in no time. Never sent from an I-Phone
All changes can be reverted and those user's IPs blocked. Google and Garmin maps have taken me to the wrong road/place far more times than OSM.

Around CR, you can't put much faith in the routes shown on Google Maps or TomTom. Plenty of goat tracks and bunny runs. OSM has less routes - but most seem rightish. Not all though...

Around CR, you can't put much faith in the routes shown on Google Maps or TomTom. Plenty of goat tracks and bunny runs. OSM has less routes - but most seem rightish. Not all though...

And the ones that are wrong you can correct/delete on the website.

Uploaded a new version. The roads that are marked as motorcycles not allowed on are grey and not routable.

Thanks....
My Garmin Thai map doesn't show the Chao Phraya ferry crossing for bikes...this OSM one does!

Very nice Map , Thanks .
even its totally out of Date for Patong Beach .
But thats not your fault , they build so much in the last years , nobody can follow that .

Works in Basecamp fine , but installation out of Bascamp on to my Montana 600 fail .
Any idea ??
Map install say i can install the OSM Map , tick OSM Map in Detailed Installation but the final transfer failed even wit the
original Garmin Montana USB Cable .

Very nice Map , Thanks .
even its totally out of Date for Patong Beach .
But thats not your fault , they build so much in the last years , nobody can follow that .

Works in Basecamp fine , but installation out of Bascamp on to my Montana 600 fail .
Any idea ??
Map install say i can install the OSM Map , tick OSM Map in Detailed Installation but the final transfer failed even wit the
original Garmin Montana USB Cable .

I have just used the OSM mapping and the Montana on my recent trip. Its been awhile since I set mine up but...... To get the file to work on the Montana you have to place the file you got from the OSM site on to a Micro SD card. Once you get the SD card create a folder called Garmin and drop the OSM file in there. Then place the SD card in to the Montana and it should read it straight away, if not you may need to go into setting and tell it to read the card. once you have got that working ok you can then plug the Montana into your laptop. Start basecamp and it should read both the Montana and the SD card. I always worked from the SD card in the device attached to my Mac then any route planning, waypoints etc saved direct on to the card, therefore when i turned on the Montana to use it they were there. You may have to go into the Map tab in Basecamp and get it to read the correct mapping.

If that doesn't work try looking at these pages

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Wayne

Thanks , that will be a solution but i use already Thailand Streetmap 12 and the North Thailand Map from Phil
on 2 differnt cards and swapping permanetly the cards to check witch map has the best covering of the area
i am riding in is not the best solution .
I want to install the Maps on one Card or Card and internal memory to be able to switch Maps via the menu .

Klaus you on Windows or Mac ?

Thanks , that will be a solution but i use already Thailand Streetmap 12 and the North Thailand Map from Phil
on 2 differnt cards and swapping permanetly the cards to check witch map has the best covering of the area
I want to install the Maps on one Card or Card and internal memory to be able to switch Maps via the menu .

Klaus, hopefully Lone Rider will see this and PM you

Klaus, hopefully Lone Rider will see this and PM you

Hi Phil

I will try it on a slower Lapptop maybe that works .
I have done it on my old PC with OSM Maps from Vietnam , India , South Korea and many more on differnt Garmin GPS .
If the fault is not in the Map its maybe the Interface speed .

Basecamp give a message that the transfer will maybe need some hours .
If i click continue the transfer start but is finish in less then 10 sec.
And i get the message that the transfer was not successfully.

Maybe the Speed on my new I7 at 4,4 Ghz and USB 3 is to fast for the Garmin Interface .

I'm a Mac guy but assuming the map file is on your desktop, have you tried renaming the file to say osmfeb2015 and hooking up your unit and simply dragging the file into the garmin folder on your unit. It may be you have two files of the same name and it wont transfer...

I'm sure that Lone Rider can sort this in seconds, but in lieu of his reply, .... the Garmin units are designed to run many differing maps at once. Presumably Phils RC map exists on the SD card, and if its locked to that card, then that could be your problem.
I know the RC map was originally un-viewable in Mapsource, but you may be able to view in Basecamp. However, until you unlock it, I doubt if it can be copied into a GPS, (as that would defeat the purpose of the lock.)
Locked maps can be unlocked via software available on the net, but you don't need to do this unless you really do want to combine all the maps onto the SD card or GPS itself.
So if you put that map in the card slot, and then load the OSM and Garmin ESRI maps into the unit from Basecamp, it should work. Maps can then be switched from the menu.
Incidentally, the Garmin/ESRI map is now up to Version 14, with unlocked copies of Version 13 available on many torrent sites.
Rgds.

Some of the newer units can handle more than one map on the memory card. The older units only reads a map from the memory card if the map is named gmapsupp.img but some newer units reads any name like map_from_Phil.img. Try to rename the maps to different names and put them together on the same card.

Some of the newer units can handle more than one map on the memory card. The older units only reads a map from the memory card if the map is named gmapsupp.img but some newer units reads any name like map_from_Phil.img. Try to rename the maps to different names and put them together on the same card.

Thats new to me , i was still thinking that every map need to be gmapsupp.img just with different Adresses and all that Parameters i had
in former time to ajust with differnt Tools and unlockers to get it working on my Oregon .

Different name > copy > work
Thats easy

Thanks

Device Manager

Use Device Manager to move files/maps to where you want them, and on the computer you can create a fast virtual gps so you don't need to plug your device into the computer unless you are transferring info.

JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa Device Manager

Guys, I am on the road home and will reply asap. The problem is probably the name of the map as the GPS. Newer GPS'es can handle any name as Nightrider said so try to give the map another name and see if that helps.

Unsure if you guys knew about this link.. Maybe this is old news.

Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

An interface that allows the very easy export of garmin compatible maps and gives you the mapsource installer, the IMG file, everything all automated.. Another user friendly milestone for OSM mapping.

Yes, that system is old news as it has been around for years. There was a time that you could not download the maps directly as the system was overwhelmed with requests for maps so you would get an email message from them after a few days or a few hours once your map was ready for downlaoding. Guess they got more bandwidth on their system and now you can download them directly after you have made your selection of map-tiles you want/need.

Just for your information, Nightrider, who is a member of RideAsia, is publishing every month on the 1st of the month an updated version of the South-East Asia OSM GPS map (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singopore). You can download the map from his website South-East Asia OSM GPS map/. The download consists of 2 files: a self installing version which installs the map into Mapsource/Basecamp and a file gmapsupp.img for the GPS.

The map is basically for motorcyclists (but can be used for cars as well) and therefore roads that should not be used by motorcyclists are shown as grey un-routable roads. These roads are typically toll roads and overpasses over major intersections and primarily located in Bangkok.

Back
Top Bottom