Transferring maps from a Garmin 62s to a Garmin Montana

garethw

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
Hi all,

Due to not wearing glasses whilst riding I have trouble reading the screen on my 62s so have just ordered a Montana 650, or at least that was my justification for buying one.

I brought the SE Asia navigator maps and installed those on the 62s with no trouble. Is it possible to transfer those onto the Montana. I use a Macbook and base camp.

Another query, I assume all my saved tracks I had saved with basecamp will also transfer across once I get the new unit?

Cheers.

If the SE Asia Navigator map came on an SD card (locked to the SD card) you can swap them between the Garmin 62s and the Montana. However, if you bought the map specifically for the 62S and had to contact Garmin to get the unlock code for the map/GPS combination it will not work. However, there is a work around but that is not really legal.

Will check with regard to the saved tracks - the tutorial on http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/tutor...s-to-and-from-your-gps-and-your-computer.html shows you how to do that assuming that you have saved all your tracks/waypoints from the 62s to BaseCamp.

If you downloaded the maps from the Garmin site I assume that after putting the map on the GPS you had to contact Garmin (MyGarmin or something like that) to activate/unlock the map. In that case you will not be able to use the map on the Montana as Garmin only allows one unlock per map.

But, like I mentioned before, there are ways around it and your SE Asia map can be unlocked so you can use it on the Montana and any other Garmin GPS. Do a search on Google for IMG unlockers or a similar text string. In case you can't solve the problem, contact me by PM but a reply might take some time as I will be "on the road" for the next 6-7 weeks and I might not always have Internet access.

Back
Top Bottom