The Honda CRF 250 L / Kawasaki KLX 250 shoot out!

Clarky said:
Thanks Gareth,

I have sent you a PM with my number.

I've sent you my number. Apart from electrically de-restriciting at the clutch connector and a after market end can my KLX is standard. I can re-connect that switch in 2 minutes to put it back to standard. Would be interesting to see how much difference there is in the 2 bikes from a novice's point of view off road. I know a couple of tracks that are not to difficult but have mud, sand, deep sand, a few climbs and ascents about 30km's in length.

Well, just got off the phone to a mate who had a side by side comparison with the KLX with the restriction removed (with 20,000klm's on it but owned from new). He said it was night and day, the CRF more powerful and smoother across the range. Also handled much better (they had it around the samoeng loop). There was a concesus that changing the shock wasn't something that needed to be done.

Having them side by side, beers in hand a bunch of biker guys they all agreed it had a higher quality finish as well and generally looked nicer.

With the price difference it has right now it is clearly a better bike. I have money to spare to buy some accessories.

My mind is made up, I'm afraid as much as I like the KLX it is showing it's age. What will become of it?

I reckon they should put the engine out of the 250 Ninja in it :) That seems to be the way forward now.

I should have mine waiting for me by the time I get back in a couple of weeks.

Yep

It seems to be coming the general consensus.

Davevb said:
Well, just got off the phone to a mate who had a side by side comparison with the KLX with the restriction removed (with 20,000klm's on it but owned from new). He said it was night and day, the CRF more powerful and smoother across the range. Also handled much better (they had it around the samoeng loop). There was a concesus that changing the shock wasn't something that needed to be done.

Having them side by side, beers in hand a bunch of biker guys they all agreed it had a higher quality finish as well and generally looked nicer.

With the price difference it has right now it is clearly a better bike. I have money to spare to buy some accessories.

My mind is made up, I'm afraid as much as I like the KLX it is showing it's age. What will become of it?

I reckon they should put the engine out of the 250 Ninja in it :) That seems to be the way forward now.

I should have mine waiting for me by the time I get back in a couple of weeks.

Davevb said:
I reckon they should put the engine out of the 250 Ninja in it

It wouldnt be much good as an offroad bike with that revvy screaming engine in it

I have to admit I don't know the first thing about the Ninjas engine, it's a twin right? Would it fit in a CRF esque frame?

They would remap the FI for more torque but having a revvy screaming engine in a dirt bike sounds ok to me:)

Davevb said:
I have to admit I don't know the first thing about the Ninjas engine, it's a twin right? Would it fit in a CRF esque frame?

They would remap the FI for more torque but having a revvy screaming engine in a dirt bike sounds ok to me:)

A singles better bottom end thump is a better choice for offroad thats why most offroad bikes are singles until you get into the large capacity DP bikes

Breaking in the CRF
Hi Guys,

Just got mine from the dealer - any advice on the break-in method/first oil change?
Pro and Cons of Hard vs. Soft break-in?

Any advice surely appreciated

Cheers

The break in method is purely up to individual owner I went for the hard breakin lots off hard accelleration in 2,;3 and 4 gear coupled with alot of engine braking for the first 20-30 km apparently the first 20-30 km is the important time then change oil at 100 km then into dealer for another change at 1000 km it's up to you as they say

^ +1.

Here is the link to the site that convinced me to break in like this. As Taninthai says just change the oil and filter at 100klm's then get the dealer scheduled service at 1000. Generally the bike will have been pretty much broken in by 100klm's. Use mineral oil, not synthetic. Synthetic is too slippery and can actually prevent the engine from breaking in properly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Hi, I went to Mityon in Pattaya on Monday so i could change the oil at 100kms,but they don't have filters in stock yet! One of the pitfalls of getting a new model i guess, and told coming soon we will call you back:)

Has any one else had trouble getting an oil filter for the CRF? Local Honda Dealer in Pattaya has none, if anyone has a garage with spares i would like to buy one or two if possible and get them in the post.

Cheers.

I wonder why the CBR 250 filters don't fit?

Clarky said:
Hi, I went to Mityon in Pattaya on Monday so i could change the oil at 100kms,but they don't have filters in stock yet! One of the pitfalls of getting a new model i guess, and told coming soon we will call you back:)

Has any one else had trouble getting an oil filter for the CRF? Local Honda Dealer in Pattaya has none, if anyone has a garage with spares i would like to buy one or two if possible and get them in the post.

Cheers.

Just change the oil yourself at 100k must admit I didn't change my filter at 100k just the oil , I don't even know where the filter is but I would have thought the cbr filters fit gonna ring my dealer this week to check he has filters in stock as at 500 k now and looking to get to 1000 in the next 10 days

Thx guys for all the advice - btw - kinda a dumb ass question BUT anyone get a service manual in English??

I didnt get any service manual!! Been told that it is on order for me. I think the mechanics must have pinched them so they know how to work on them.

I did find out this week that the CRF filter is the same as the CBR so at least i was able to get the oil change done. Thanks to Brian at Sumit Cycle for the info on part numbers.

Clarky said:
I think the mechanics must have pinched them so they know how to work on them.

Your going on the basis of local mechanics reading a service manual ??

Hey we're world wide!

Take a look at some of the LINK BACKS at the bottom of this thread.

The Honda CRF is of great interest and your posts on RideAsia are giving other people excellent information.

Ally

4,300km and I'm putting my second set of clutch plates in my Honda CRF 250 L. Lan at C&P service tells me he's replaced 6 clutches on his rental CRF 250 L, many will say their factory fitted clutches are fine, the reason these are going so fast is that they are being used off road where the clutch is feathered at lot magnifying the wear on the clutch plates. Also a good idea to change the engine oil when doing this as the clutch plate material will have contaminated the oil.

Here's the burnt out clutch plate that just came out

277355_10151594175378345_54514181_o.jpg

This is what they should look like (a new one)

456178_10151594175258345_729982551_o.jpg

A whole new clutch assembly is about 900 bht, i'm taking a spare one on every overnight off-road trip.

Below, the first one to have full open heart surgery in Chiang Mai

465315_10151594173828345_1718882739_o.jpg

Apparently dropped in a river and started with the engine/ bore full of water

241101_10151594173983345_2144375781_o.jpg

Lan says there's about 20,000 bht in parts damage alone, he also says the parts to rebuild are at least 40% cheaper than the same parts for a Kawasaki KLX 250, interesting

The crank bent like a banana from the hydro lock

338030_10151594174093345_1022110521_o.jpg

After 1 week and 1500km with 3 CRF, 2 KLX and 20 years and many many km with the KLX, race, tours and hardenduro (4 years and 70000km with the FI Thaimade KLX), I do(n´t) know who is winner. The engine in the CRF fells much stronger with a better torque. But...... Surprise, also when I gave her all their horses, the KLX was always direct at my backwheel. The curves in mountain are little bit rounder and the line is very clean with the CRF. A pleasure! The tail is very hard and uncomfortable and has no sensibility. The KLX is much more comfortable with a better suspension and a good looking finish. Very nice handycraft work in a high level quality on shifts and levers. The CRF looks simply poor in this case. The DID rims can not equalize these ugly brake and gearshifts. Both bikes use steel, which you can bend after a crash. I like the smaller tank/knee combination in the KLX. It is more surprising, when you realize, that the KLX has 2 radiators and the CRF only one. The fan in CRF works thatswhy very offen, in the KLX nearly never. The headlight in the KLX is a champion, it works in the CRF sure. But there is a galaxy between. Airfilter control in CRF is great, easy work with a paperfilter. The KLX = a horror! This is what PINK means in "Dear Mr.Predident", " You don´t know nothing about about hard work". And it much more worse, when you installed a rack. The winner in the offroad tracks is the KLX. The KLX goes uphill, the CRF slides uphill and the hard tail with the hard seat makes a tour to torture for your bump. We change a few times and everybody said the same. The CRF has a fantastic engine, but I like the KLX more. The whole conzept is a better choice. Is it worth for a 12000 Baht higher price? I guess Kawasaki surprises us with a 2014 modell.
Spareparts are cheaper by Honda, the availability is better by Kawasaki (Chiang-Mai only).

Harry, who wrote this, is one of the most experienced off-road tour operator's in north Thailand, very very interesting thoughts, thank you.

After 1 week and 1500km with 3 CRF, 2 KLX and 20 years and many many km with the KLX, race, tours and hardenduro (4 years and 70000km with the FI Thaimade KLX), I do(n´t) know who is winner. The engine in the CRF fells much stronger with a better torque. But...... Surprise, also when I gave her all their horses, the KLX was always direct at my backwheel. The curves in mountain are little bit rounder and the line is very clean with the CRF. The tail is very hard and uncomfortable and has no sensibility. The KLX is much more comfortable with a better suspension and a good looking finish. Very nice handycraft work in a high level quality on shifts and levers. The CRF looks simply poor in this case. The DID rims can not equalize these ugly brake and gearshifts. Both bikes use steel, which you bend after a crash. I like the smaller tank/knee combination in the KLX. It is more surprising, when you realize, that the KLX has 2 radiators and the CRF only one. The fan in CRF works thatswhy very offen, in the KLX nearly never. The headlight in the KLX is a champion, it works in the CRF sure. But there is a galaxy between. Airfilter control in CRF is great, easy work with a paperfilter. The KLX = a horror! This is what PINK means in "Dear Mr.Predident", " You don´t know nothing about about hard work". And it much more worse, when you installed a rack. The winner in the offroad tracks is the KLX. The KLX goes uphill, the CRF slides uphill and the hard tail with the hard seat makes a tour to torture for your bump. We change a few times and everybody said the same. The CRF has a fantastic engine, but I like the KLX more. The whole conzept is a better choice. Is it worth for a 12000 Baht higher price? I guess Kawasaki surprises us with a 2014 modell.
Spareparts are cheaper by Honda, the availability is better by Kawasaki (Chiang-Mai only).

Another word about the brakes. The CRF brakes are strange. On the offroad tracks the frontbrake bites suddenly without a warning and the wheel blocks. For beginners is this very dangerous. But on asphalt in the mountains the brake does´nt destroy enough energy and the leaver is pressed until the handlebar. Strange. The KLX brakes work marvellous. Fine feeling with a exat pressure point and everytime under perfect controll. On and offroad simply excelent.

The story goes on. Today I went to Honda-Airport in Chiang-Mai and I wanted to pick up my ordered parts. 3 weeks ago, christmas/new year period between. 3 men were a little bit nervous and look and talk and search, look in the screen and the logistic (TIT) and surprise! after a half hour, they found the half of the parts. The other half will be delivered in february (maybe). The price was little bit higher now, YZ? Last year price cheaper, Ahja!!
Same visit 10min after in the Kawasaki Service Center, CNX. Nothing was ordered before, but everything available immediately. The 1 girl needed 5min for collect, check and payment. Great job! Happy new year, Thank you, see you next time.

For some people this will be not interessting, they choose Honda or Kawasaki for other reasons. But I think in comparision are spareparts and service an important point. The parts in both cases weren´t very special, just normal things, which you need offen times, handlebar, shifts and leavers, plastic kit etc.

The story goes on. Today I went to Honda-Airport in Chiang-Mai and I wanted to pick up my ordered parts. 3 weeks ago, christmas/new year period between. 3 men were a little bit nervous and look and talk and search, look in the screen and the logistic (TIT) and surprise! after a half hour, they found the half of the parts. The other half will be delivered in february (maybe). The price was little bit higher now, YZ? Last year price cheaper, Ahja!!
Same visit 10min after in the Kawasaki Service Center, CNX. Nothing was ordered before, but everything available immediately. The 1 girl needed 5min for collect, check and payment. Great job! Happy new year, Thank you, see you next time.

For some people this will be not interessting, they choose Honda or Kawasaki for other reasons. But I think in comparision are spareparts and service an important point. The parts in both cases weren´t very special, just normal things, which you need offen times, handlebar, shifts and leavers, plastic kit etc.

But you're not comparing apples with apples I think, the KLX 250 has been around for many years. If you went to Kawasaki 3-6 months after the first KLX 250 was released, I would have thought you would have had the same experience?

For an example - go to Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai & try buy an original battery for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone that has only been released for a couple of months (even the Samsung dealer does not have stock).

Today we had an accident, which was happend because of suddenly blocked frontwheel on the CRF. What I told last time. For beginners the Honda brake is dangerous. I´ve seen it from behind and I was also very surprised. From nothing to block is just a small window.
I can remember, that also in 2009 every part (almost) for the KLX was available in the Kawasaki Service Center allready.

Back
Top Bottom