Honda 250 CRF L: Adjusting (lowering) the rear shock

jb2112

Bikes
N/A
Whilst at the CNX CRF Club meet-up, this chap
View attachment 8788

showed me an innovative way of lowering the bike: Drill another hole below the shock. Easy enough for me and this should not effect the geometry of the bike (uttered in Phil's accent). This setup looks solid.

View attachment 8789

The chap (I think his name was Opa) told me that he had the work done at Kwan's in the NE part of the city. Kwan used to work at Daeng's (Somchit) who can also do this work. Cost: 300 baht.

Does anyone have directions to get to this shop? Coordinates preferred.

I would say it does change the geometry of the bike .... so also lower the front by about 1inch.
Other also cheap way would be to change the links, if they are not for sale they are easy to make for people working with steel.

The CRF is a nice bike but I would think for many Thai a bit too high indeed (also for me).

Chang Noi

Mr Kwan shop location is detailed below;
(18.806137,99.012973)
jb.jpg

I've had experience of using both companies mentioned above and would definitely recommend Mr Kwan.

This is a topic I created were both are discussed - (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/2138-fabrication-chiang-mai.html)

Hi JB,
This is Opas. If you need me to take you there, pls let me know. my number is 08 16 16 40 16. nice to meet all you guys yesterday

A lowering kit is available in Australia, I don't what parts are in it and it is expensive, I think maybe a new shock and links for the price. I am trying to find out.

08R70-KZZ-920 lowering kit AUD $1920 + tax

Opas - Good to meet you too. See you next Saturday, or maybe before!

Red - Yeah, will be nice to see what the kit looks like. There are dogbones available in the States for the CRF, but not the L model yet. They may be available soon. Thanks mate.

Ps, don't forget to have your kick stand cut and shortened too, if you do drill that bracket, otherwise your bike will stand straight well on the stand. And may fall over.

:jump

If anyone is wondering whether the lowering has any effect on the bike, you can have a go with mine on Saturday. We normally meet about 18:30 hr

If anyone is wondering whether the lowering has any effect on the bike, you can have a go with mine on Saturday. We normally meet about 18:30 hr

Thanks Opas! I have your mobile number. I will phone you this week. JB

View attachment 9107

Well, no going back now. I met Opas at Khun Kwan's shop to have the bike lowered. I wanted the maximum lowering I could get out of drilling a hole in the lower bracket. To get this Kwan had to grind off a good 3cm's.

I think I got at least an inch lower by doing this in conjunction with lowering the front. I just got back from doing the Samoeng Loop and there does not appear to be any negative results to this operation.

Blimey Jb, that looks very good.

Are you now able to put both feet flat on the ground ?

Ally

You should have a look at Taichi Tanaka, he's 165 and finished in the top 5 of Erzberg this year on a full size bike...

Wow, now this is awesome....this is so fucking hard this race....only the very best make it

Back
Top Bottom