Honda CRF250L Vs XR in Cambodia?

TobyJ

So, Honda's CRF250L has been on sale for a while now in Thailand and it seems to be very popular. A lot of the tour companies even seem to be replacing their fleets of XRs and Bajas with the new bike.

My question is: Is the main attraction of the CRF250L the fact that it is so cheap?? Or is it actually a sensible replacement for the ageing XR? ...for serious trailriding.

I'm a huge XR fan and have been riding them around the trails in Cambodia for years. I am interested in the CRF250L (mainly because of the price!) but is it really going to be as reliable and durable on the trails out here as the XR? That may be a silly question... of course it's not going to be as durable as the trusty XR. But is it a good replacement for the XR?
I have read numerous reviews from commercial websites saying the suspension is spongy, feels cheap and bottoms out if you push it too hard. I'd kinda like to hear some opinions from people that own one out here and push it onto some tough trails. And by tough, I don't just mean muddy potholed roads... I mean steep rocky trails like we get in the Cardamom Mountains for example.

Many thanks!!

:RO

I dont think its built to the same quality those old XRs were.. Of course many old XRs are exactly that, old and now well used.. But I feel like they are FAR far tougher..

Dont own either...

Or is it actually a sensible replacement for the ageing XR? ...for serious trailriding.

No it's not even close to the XR for serious trail riding is the simple truth. The XR is approx. 25kg lighter, a better more responsive engine, great steering, a proper offroad bike as opposed to a dual-sport bike.

I have Both .

2 XR 250 , a 96 Baja and a 2004 R and the CRF .

The XR suspesion is better , Build quallity i say the same .
The XR has less Parts depend on Air cooling and Carburator .
The CRF the better fuel consumption
The XR need more Maintenance i.e . Valve clearance every 3000 km but its by far easyer to do as on the CRF .
XR more low end Power
CRF better on the highway and long distance
both have some Plus and minus
Biggest Plus of the CRF is the Spare Parts Cost .

XR Tank 900 USD
CRF Tank about 50 USD (without the Pump)
XR Fork clamps 900 USD Fork Leg 1300 USD (USD)
CRF Fork Clamps 55 USD Leg not sure

For the price of one XR side Panel you can buy all the Plastiks on the CRF

Thats for Thailand where the CRF Parts are cheap and the XR Parts need to be imported.

So for a Bike that get used in the Bush and droped a lot the CRF is the better choise moneywise
but the XR is in difficult terain better depend on low end power and suspension .

I have Both .

2 XR 250 , a 96 Baja and a 2004 R and the CRF .

The XR suspesion is better , Build quallity i say the same .
The XR has less Parts depend on Air cooling and Carburator .
The CRF the better fuel consumption
The XR need more Maintenance i.e . Valve clearance every 3000 km but its by far easyer to do as on the CRF .
XR more low end Power
CRF better on the highway and long distance
both have some Plus and minus
Biggest Plus of the CRF is the Spare Parts Cost .

XR Tank 900 USD
CRF Tank about 50 USD (without the Pump)
XR Fork clamps 900 USD Fork Leg 1300 USD (USD)
CRF Fork Clamps 55 USD Leg not sure

For the price of one XR side Panel you can buy all the Plastiks on the CRF

Thats for Thailand where the CRF Parts are cheap and the XR Parts need to be imported.

So for a Bike that get used in the Bush and droped a lot the CRF is the better choise moneywise
but the XR is in difficult terain better depend on low end power and suspension .

Not in total agreement about build quality being about the same ......there are a lot of XRs still going strong ( ie rarely needing repairs that would not be economically viable ). I suspect it will be a different story with the CRF l....ten yrs from now who's gunna stump up big buks for engine overhaul on a bike that by then will be worth pea nuts ?

Thanks for the input guys... it's just confirming what I've read elsewhere... the CRFL seems like a great tool for on-road and moderate off-road, but when it comes to serious off-road it's not going to cut the mustard the same as the XRs.

Cheers! :giving:

Back
Top Bottom