TBR China ADV Riding

G'Day,

Prepped and upgraded the Jialing JH600 (two wheel version) for China long distance ADV touring and rego'ed the bike in Huzhou (Zhejiang Province / China) just after Chinese New Year 2013.

DSC01908_zps6a8f14d0.jpg

DSC01916_zps08d3966e.jpg

DSC01904_zpsdf9e4450.jpg

Really hate the ever changing weather in Shanghai this time of the year (Chinese New Year), got a bottle of sun lotion out of the cabinet, loaded the JH600 for a decent run-in ride and heading South on my latest China road trip......

S1_zpse7804c5d.jpg

S2_zps0ff3b158.jpg

S11_zps88a0a9b8.jpg

S3_zps6eedbdd4.jpg

S4_zpsd0d6b440.jpg

S5_zps84bded0f.jpg

Went straight through Hangzhou city in Zhejiang province, actually rode very close to the West Lake area (painful slow riding as they build new elevated roads in city once again) following my GPS directions, got quite a few strange looks from car drivers and cops at stop lights due to the "no motorbike ban" in Hangzhou. Never got stopped by the ever present cops and two gave me actually a thumbs up sign, must be bikers themselves.

Between Hangzhou (Zhejiang) - Quzhou (Zhejiang) passed a lot of stone carving displays for sale at the road side, the stone / concrete carvings are everywhere in all sorts of shapes and sizes.........

S6_zps163b0ca6.jpg

S7_zps6e2a4826.jpg

S8_zpsfc31f664.jpg

S9_zpsc16c2b46.jpg

S10_zps7234ba0f.jpg

After a night in Quzhou (Zhejiang) heading further down on National Road #320 in search of the sun and better weather......
S12_zps9011d9b3.jpg

S14_zps15e5b83a.jpg

S15_zps4b9d5215.jpg

Passing a area called Longhushan along the #320 National Road, good scenery but misty and becoming sort of warm and humid, off comes the base and waterproof goretex layer.....

S16_zpsa6c833f0.jpg

S17_zps02cf8738.jpg

S18_zps219e22d5.jpg

S19_zps2055b0de.jpg

S20_zpsea9c0f87.jpg

more Longhushan pics....

S21_zps511e4da3.jpg

S22_zpsbdcd5ded.jpg

S23_zpsebae2eec.jpg

S24_zpsdc17ab59.jpg

S25_zps0ab5976d.jpg

After covering quite some distance starting from Quzhou (Zhejiang) the bike died with no electrics working at all, quick check (hate ever changing Shanghai weather and electrical vehicle problems) found out the battery was totally fried.
No charge at all in the middle of Jiangxi province at a small Sinopec gas station.
The station attendants were very helpful in letting me charge my phone, Schuberth helmet and iPad, offering me oranges / tea and getting a bike repair guy from a nearby village over to source a battery suitable to mount into the JL to get me back on the road again.
The replacement battery is not the original full size (half the height actually) but works fine.
The two guys at the gas station refused any tip and just filled up a bit of gas (73RMB) but handed over 200RMB and drove away leaving some beer money for the assistance....

S26_zpsdac4b9ca.jpg

S27_zpsb685e95e.jpg

S28_zps91cfc36d.jpg

S29_zps30ef9aea.jpg

S30_zps5043760d.jpg

The bike was performing well all afternoon on the way to Ganzhou (Jiangxi) and passed quite a few nice signs and sights.....

S31_zpsb63adda4.jpg

S32_zpsaf76a426.jpg

S33_zpscde928f3.jpg

S34_zpsd1398d2d.jpg

S35_zpsbbd55166.jpg

Had very long day with approx. 700k's covered (Quzhou / Zhejiang > Ganzhou / Jiangxi) and rode well into the night passing a tree right in the middle of the road in a village..... awesome emergency brake set-up in case your vehicle brakes fail for some strange reasons.
Skipped a visit to the "Long March Starting Point of the Central Red Army" in the dark but got pictures to proof that I was very nearby during my ADV cruise to the Sun in Sanya.
Why roads always turn to pot-holed nightmares in the dark, makes you wonder, eh?

S46_zpscd3bede5.jpg

S47_zps32497f60.jpg

S48_zps4e937950.jpg

Checked into a suburban hotel in Ganzhou and they only had a suite available with the full on set-up like mahjong table, TV sets, tea ceremony set, gourmet cup noodles, coffee, tea, various condom packs, pink female shaver displayed in a glass ashtray (somehow that "thing" looked like a potato peeler), male / female lubrication, playing cards, business towel, lounge area, bathroom and a bedroom equipped with a bed as hard as a concrete road slab for the royal sum of 258RMB (the suite had easily 95-100sqm. space).
Just case your in town and need first class accommodation in Ganzhou: Tialong Hotel Ganzhou Tielong Hotel Online Reservation | Ctrip.com

S51_zps43f4f4a5.jpg

S52_zpsf09d3608.jpg

S53_zpsbc8e6536.jpg

S54_zpsf2f2973f.jpg

S55_zps5346e613.jpg

S56_zps0df134c5.jpg

S57_zpsc5aa8ede.jpg

S59_zps5148bf4e.jpg

The food and snack bag packed back in Shanghai came in handy once again...
I am not a big fan of the MSG laden Chinese food served at roadside stalls and cheap restaurants.
S58_zps2a3c320c.jpg

The food and snack bag packed back in Shanghai came in handy once again...
I am not a big fan of the MSG laden Chinese food served at roadside stalls and cheap restaurants.
S58_zps2a3c320c.jpg

Wow, your food and snack bag is a good idea in particular at places where the local food does not look to appealing or at times when the restaurants are closed. Once in Dhaka, Bangladesh I was occupied with meetings for the whole day and part of the evening. Once finished, the wife and myself were going out for dinner but all restaurants were closed (was about 9.30 in the evening) and we had to make do with 2 apples shared between the two of us.

Another super-interesting ride TB. So you have two of these bikes, both in green?
Yes, got a pair, keeping it simple - no frills....

DSC01763_zps7deb8b43.jpg

Wow, your food and snack bag is a good idea in particular at places where the local food does not look to appealing
As long I got room bringing some food / snacks along, had my fair share of crappy Asian food, especially Chinese....

rt27_zps56f5936f.jpg

Just down the road from Ganzhou everything became a typical China countryside industrial wasteland for a 100k's, boring to ride - polluted and dusty....

S70_zps736464e7.jpg

S71_zps9083ca96.jpg

S72_zps9b04fc98.jpg

S73_zps7934f832.jpg

S74_zps971b567d.jpg

The National Road #105 improve a lot and became much wider with no traffic, great long sweeper bends, good relaxed riding while listening to music....

S75_zps45223f9a.jpg

S76_zps20493364.jpg

S77_zpsff304fe0.jpg

S80_zps4e5d43b6.jpg

S81_zps5d409e36.jpg

S82_zps9701629e.jpg

S79_zps237b140e.jpg

Rolling down national highway #105 passing a nice mountain range near Relong Hot Springs not far from the Jiangxi / Guangdong province check-point......

S83_zps310c2b75.jpg

S84_zpsdbdd53bd.jpg

S85_zps901f0afa.jpg

S86_zps8211ca71.jpg

S89_zps28fe04c6.jpg

S91_zps428773cf.jpg

S90_zps7ec6c646.jpg

With all the warning signs and crashed car displays along the roadside it was time for some good luck temple stops.....

S92_zps0882bff9.jpg

S97_zps3d82ab19.jpg

S93_zpsd6a10bcb.jpg

S94_zps2dbb66b9.jpg

S95_zps52f69235.jpg

S96_zpse8e7a3cf.jpg

Parked up my bike and mate arranged a car for some days business meetings, now, here we are in Dongguan (Guangdong): Dongguan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nothing special to report, rolled into the city known as "China's Sex Capital", with the prostitution sector - consisting of brothels, massage parlours, nightclubs, sex hotels, sauna centres and karaoke bars - estimated to contribute 20 to 30 per cent of the total output of the city's service industry, employing between 500,000 and 800,000 people) and the "Dingaling ADV Cruiser" will have a well deserved five day pit-stop in a mates garage near Song Shan Lake due to my business commitments in Guangdong province.
Dongguan is also well known as a massive production area for shoes (Nike Town) and electronics - Foxconn just as an example: Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and has the worlds biggest "ghost shopping mall" called New South China Mall: New South China Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

S98_zpscd3a8400.jpg

ps: quick weekend weather forecast check about my final destination brings a smile on my face....

S99SanyaWeekendWeather_zps627758ac.png

Had to leave my JL bike behind in Dongguan and in the "Big Smoke" Guangzhou right now for business meetings.
Guangzhou = foggy - misty - humid moloch city.... Guangzhou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Looking out the windows right now - need to be reunited with my bike soon and hit the road again further South to the big island.....

S100_zps43d47d86.jpg

S101_zps27e4e2df.jpg

S102_zpsbf341bb0.jpg

I just love your ride reports and pictures!
Keep them coming, still look forward to the roadhouse pics!!!!

Headed out from SongShan Lake (Dongguan) in the morning with the plan to hit either Zhanjiang (Guangdong) or Xuwen (Guangdong) for the night.
Tried to visit the Dongguan (Humen) Opium War Museum but the roads leading to it were blocked by police due to a VIP visit of some big wig, fine with me - next time....

Some info about the Opium Museum here: The Opium War Museum and the famous burning of some dope in the old days.
We are talking about 1188127 kilograms of burning Opium here...... 1188.127 metric ton, thats quite a lot of drugs going up in smoke....... Come to think of it, really ~ just from the spreading smoke, greater Dongguan area must have been high as a kite for weeks!!!!!

Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll (rock n' roll playing in my Schuberth helmet via Bluetooth) and it was time to leave Sin City Dongguan....
Took the ferry to cross the river from Humen to Nansha in foggy misty weather, just a big ferry boat loaded with cars and one lonely awesome Jialing ADV Cruiser....

S103_zpsa2c8f8ee.jpg

S104_zpse020ba69.jpg

S105_zps0cd0267a.jpg

S108_zps25479bd1.jpg

S109_zps3d078464.jpg

S106_zpsa98cdde6.jpg

S107_zpsc95d6f53.jpg

Really enjoying this thread, great pics and snippets of info. When you back astride the Duke?

Checked into a suburban hotel in Ganzhou and they only had a suite available with the full on set-up like mahjong table, TV sets, tea ceremony set, gourmet cup noodles, coffee, tea, various condom packs, pink female shaver displayed in a glass ashtray (somehow that "thing" looked like a potato peeler),

View attachment 17383

It is!! Hahaha! Bloody hell I've just bought a couple to take back to the guys in the Galley but methinks I'll leave 'em in the bathroom for the missus to figure out! Maybe get a great new fashion going with the corrugated one! Not a Brazillian, but a Thai-ai-ai-ai! :lol:

View attachment 17384

Run to the Great Wall of China and beyond.....

Run to the Great Wall of China and beyond.....

Had a bit of service done to my Italian bike in the Ducati service centre Shanghai for some rides in the Northern part of the motherland (greater Beijing / China region). Shipped the bike up to Beijing from Shanghai earlier last month with one of our regular trucks as I have done the Shanghai-Beijing-Shanghai tour quite often and a waste of time (around 5 days for a S-B-S round trip in the old days) in my personal opinion. Has been 8 years since I had my own bike in Capital City after selling my bike up here to a mate.

Got a few weeks ahead doing cruising around the greater Beijing mountain regions with the Italian bike and my bicycle (beats the friggin' Beijing traffic anytime)..... Beijing: Beijing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Beijing area has brilliant twisty mountain roads

Greater Beijing area has brilliant twisty mountain roads, foggy days during last weekend rides but brilliant riding.
Went out with a few MCM members on Sunday (approx. 340k) and Monday (approx. 240k) with more to come during the next weeks.....

Attached some route screenshots (GPS Tracker) provided by a Monday rider.

Quick blast up the expressways towards Chongli

Quick blast up the expressways towards Chongli (got off the expressway at Zhangjiakou) and took a nice scenic route back to Beijing via Chicheng and the Baihepu Reservoir.
Great 580k ride with nice weather and brilliant tarmac roads - no traffic at all....

Mountain cruising around the North of Beijing

Mountain cruising around the North of Beijing and going through all the Multistrada ride modes.....

Heading out of my temporary city of residence Beijing for a Monday lunch run with mates, a flat rear tire is not going to stop me getting my tasty mountain food.....
Tubeless tires, easy plug & play with sticky rope and air compressor stored under the seat at all times.
Carrying Nealey Tire Repair Kits, Sticky Rope and Plug & Go Plugs to help out other riding buddies.

One of the must do things while motorbiking around the greater Beijing area is a stopover at the Chinese restos serving fresh caught trout, grilled to perfection - delicious......

The Pingu Run, screenshots (GPS Tracker) of the route and ride pictures.

Lunch stop at a vegetarian restaurants in the middle of the mountains...

Great Wall section up the mountains from the famous Mutanyiu Great Wall area, no crowds on a Wednesday late afternoon, perfect opportunity for some pics.....

Overnight stay in the Weichang Hotel, typical very basic Chinese hotel with a few associated restaurants and KTV / Karaoke outlets next door...

Breakfast from the snack bag preferred as I am not a big fan of rice porridge, century eggs and dumplings....

Back
Top Bottom