One man's determination on getting his foreign plated bike into China ?

prince666

Bikes
CF 250 Jetlux. CFmoto 650 MT Honda CRF 1000 DCT Yamaha 125 YBR KG
One man's determination on getting his foreign plated bike without a guide into china and without a Chinese DL ????

A big must to read interesting story but not recommended.

link....... http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/riding-through-china-i-did-82852

qqqq.jpg

Well after reading this guys story I totally agree with his philosophy on adventure bike travel and fighting against this bullshit about expensive guides, ridiculous visa and red tape requirements, strict itineraries etc etc. It defies logic what China is doing to other countries but won't even let you travel as an indipendant tourist in their country wtf! I'm not advocating anarchy either but hey it's 2015 the World is a small place and most of these draconian rules are to feed a bogus travel industry and not to protect the "State" from any threat. Yes what he did is a bit dangerous and a bit risky but that's what "Adventure" travel is about isn't? We should all be following in his footsteps and pushing these stupid boundaries until they're gone.......ok that's my rant :)

Well, the only problem seems to be that you can not get into China (and Vietnam and Myanmar as well) on your own bike but in all three countries you can rent a bike and go anywhere you want without a guide and without an itinerary and can have your "Adventure" travel.

Hi Steve

Good rant lol China is the logic free zone of the world ....IMO

Lone Rider ... yes you are correct but after you have just rode 10.000km all over the E.U. and Asia and then you get to China ? and you have to leave your bike at the border and rent a bike and get your bike shipped to your exits point of China sorry mate it just don't wash with me.
Things need to change with country's with the view of restricting bikes from entering their country.
Yes have rules, yes have bonds for the bike, yes make it a pain in the ass to get in, but let the people freely ride on their own bikes, it's not rocket sciences .

Lone Rider ... yes you are correct but after you have just rode 10.000km all over the E.U. and Asia and then you get to China ? and you have to leave your bike at the border and rent a bike and get your bike shipped to your exits point of China sorry mate it just don't wash with me.
Things need to change with country's with the view of restricting bikes from entering their country.
Yes have rules, yes have bonds for the bike, yes make it a pain in the ass to get in, but let the people freely ride on their own bikes, it's not rocket sciences .

Well in a way I agree with you but, if you want to ride your bike from the EU to Asia, you start looking at how to do that and do research what the requirements are of each of the countries you want to visit or have to travel through. In case there is a country which has certain requirements or restrictions like the need for a "Carnet" for your bike or car, visas, insurance, options to have access to bonds to keep you out of jail in case of an accident, or other rules, you can decide if you want to go or not.

If you decide that you really need to go and travel in that country, you have to jump through the hoops as you mentioned in your post Yes have rules, yes have bonds for the bike, yes make it a pain in the ass to get in, but let the people freely ride on their own bikes, it's not rocket sciences.

OK, I'll leave it at that.

Hi Steve

Good rant lol China is the logic free zone of the world ....IMO

Not just bikes, but cars too. I mean, it's just ridiculous. Case in point: I went to a networking event in Bangkok earlier this year and met a group of Europeans who did an exchange at Mahidol university. They started a project where they will drive an electric tuk-tuk back to Europe (France) via Laos, China, Russia and a number of other countries. Out of these, the only country that requires them to take a guide along is, you guessed it, China! They need a guide to accompany them with their ELECTRIC tuk-tuk! What an absurdity. China really needs to change it's rules and stop with the paranoia.

But I did read something interesting some months back - Russia strictly refuses Chinese vehicles from crossing it's border, while Russian vehicles are allowed to enter China and travel a certain distance inside the country. There has been talk of some bilateral agreement on this issue - including the possibility of officially allowing each other's vehicles in much further than is currently allowed, but it's interesting to note that so far, Russia has the upper hand.

But I did read something interesting some months back - Russia strictly refuses Chinese vehicles from crossing it's border, while Russian vehicles are allowed to enter China and travel a certain distance inside the country. There has been talk of some bilateral agreement on this issue - including the possibility of officially allowing each other's vehicles in much further than is currently allowed, but it's interesting to note that so far, Russia has the upper hand.

Hi Blackwolf

I hope you are wrong on this point, because next year I hope to travel 7000km in Russia on a Chinese plated bike and using a Chinese DL.

From the information the other 2 riders who will be doing the trip with me who are both Chinese believe Chinese you can ride Cars/bikes in Russia and is supported by the fact then many of these guys friends have completed road trips on bikes in Russia.

Now if Phil see this post maybe he can confirm if on his ride into Russia he notices any Chinese bikes/cars in Russia .

Hi Blackwolf

I hope you are wrong on this point, because next year I hope to travel 7000km in Russia on a Chinese plated bike and using a Chinese DL.

From the information the other 2 riders who will be doing the trip with me who are both Chinese believe Chinese you can ride Cars/bikes in Russia and is supported by the fact then many of these guys friends have completed road trips on bikes in Russia.

Now if Phil see this post maybe he can confirm if on his ride into Russia he notices any Chinese bikes/cars in Russia .

I'm quite sure I'm right, but the article I read (from 2013) mentioned that an agreement would likely be entered into force this year, in 2015 to permit Russian and Chinese vehicles more access to each other's country.

If you look at Google Maps street view and go to the Russian border cities next to China, you will notice not one Chinese plated vehicle. And while there is no street view in China, pictures taken of the border towns there will show Russian plated vehicles, mainly buses but occasionally cars too.

I'm sure that Chinese vehicles have crossed into Russia before. Surely they have. But I would imagine it requires a lot more than just showing up at the border and hoping to get admitted. Perhaps it requires some kind of special paperwork. It does not seem to be an everyday thing though. Another case in point is that Russians can much more easily enter China on short trips for shopping etc. than the other way around.

Since it's something so rarely done, I can't imagine very many members here would know the requirements. If you can read and write Chinese, or know someone who does, it might help to do a search, on Google, Bing or Baidu about crossing the border into Russia on a Chinese plated bike or car to see what information comes up.

Hi Blackwolf

Just had a check on a Chinese web site called MotoFan about the question of Chinese Cars/Bikes allowed into Russian .

And as I thought yes bike and cars can entry, 1 link I found has had over 500,000 hits with 2800 replies , talking and giving advise with links about this matter

link..........http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_17835743.htm

One of the things the guy recommends is to get a Chinese ATA Carnet which is backed by the Chinese Government.

The Chinese Carnet covers all sort of item i.e. PC, cameras, cars and motorbike.

This Carnet for what I can understand make ones exit out of China more easy with the item on the Carnet list.

I have always considered carnets to be a rip off with the amount of money you had to leave as a bond.

But Chinese prices for such bonds are very much more realistic

Fees breakdown

Document/Book Fee ............... 1500 B
Value of item i.e. Motorbike
250.000 - 500.000 B ................ 2000 B
500.000 - 2,500,000 ............... 4000B

So take a bike cost 450.000 B

Cost for the Carnet is 3500 B

This will cover you for 1 country only ?? on your list

Now you add 20% of that fee for each other countries on your list, I like would think the E.U. counts as 1 country but not sure on this.

So if you leave China to go to the UK and need to travel in 5 other countries then the total cost is

3500 B + 20% X 4 = 6300 B

This is my understanding of the details from the website

Links .......

http://www.atachina.org/notice/notice_3.jhtml
http://www.atachina.org/samples/index.jhtml
http://www.atachina.org/user/login.jhtml

Over the last 2 years travelled on my Chinese plated motorbike into Laos / Thailand I have not needed one of these Chinese ATA Carnet to get out or to get into other countries, but just recently hearing reports of bike being refused exit out of China at other Borders with Chinese plated bikes,

So maybe for the cost its worth having this document IMO.

ATA carnet.jpg

AS always it is having the right contacts,something I have never seemed to have.

AS always it is having the right contacts,something I have never seemed to have.

Yes for sure "it's not what you know it's who you know" . "The first thing you have to know is yourself ?????

"He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened."
― Lao Tzu

If you read the info closely, just as in Viet Nam, this only applies once you are incountry, it does not give you permission to enter.

Hi

I fond that Chinese border is opened for foreign register vehicle with temporay driver permit.

I uploaded info here
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/riding-through-china-i-did-82852-2

Have fun

Hiroshi

Hiroshi Katayama

Thank you for the link it was very interesting reading, but in the real world and that is the world I live in being a resident of CHINA for the last 6 years forget about what laws say, because a law that is used in 1 province, city ,town, border don't apply in the next Province, city, town, border.

That just the way it is in China, IF you are correct so a Thail plated bike can ride into China without the use of a tour company and can obtain a temporary Chinese driving license at the border and not have to pay 50,000 THB import duty on the motorbike?.

When you have information that someone has done this please please post back and you will go top of the class.
Until then I leave you with this saying ........ As it stands now you have 2 hopes

1. BOB HOPE
2. NO HOPE
But i wish you luck....

Hiroshi,
That was one mans experience by his good fortune to be at hr right place at hr right time with the right people , by no means a common or regular occurance.

Here is the article on the first plated foreign bikes in China-1994.

http://www.tokyotolondon.com/

Not much has changed.

Back
Top Bottom