'Shortcut' to Phrao - Mae Kuang Reservoir Ferry

Gnasher328

Bikes
Ducati 851 & Mille S2, HD FXR, Trumpet R3, BMW R100RS, CRF 250
I wanted to take the scenic route to Phrao, unfortunately there are a lot of hills and a reservoir in the way meaning a detour via Mae Jo. Unless - I seemed to remember reading about a ferry, and some Googling turned up some recent mentions, so:-

A bit of faffing to find the slipway-
Screenshot_2014-03-10-09-12-56.png

Followed by a half hour or so wait-
DSCN0715.JPG

Just wondering wherther I have got the wrong end of the stick when I see a dot on the water heading towards me-
DSCN0716.JPG

Reversing the CRF down the bank and over the ramp was nerve wracking and I was puffed out for a while after, should have taken the top box off, apart from making it lighter I could have seen where the back wheel was going and not had to do it twice. I had to push the bike back up with engine assistance and start again on a better line.
They made lighter work of the local step throughs-
DSCN0717.JPG
DSCN0718.JPG

A bit crowded but now we could sit back and enjoy the cruise-
DSCN0719.JPG
DSCN0720.JPG
DSCN0721.JPG
DSCN0722.JPG
DSCN0723.JPG
DSCN0724.JPG

I thought I might get some sailing in this trip but I guess this will have to do-
DSCN0725.JPG
DSCN0727.JPG

Shame about the neighbours though-
DSCN0726.JPG

Fishing camp a bit tidier-
DSCN0728.JPG

Before long the destination 'hove into view'-
DSCN0729.JPG

Getting off was a lot easier than gerring on. I set off up the hill expecting miles of nothing and was surprised to roud a corner straight into a vallage having a party-
DSCN0731.JPG

Then there was miles of nothing, a long straight narrow road through brown forest for about 13kms to the main road.

Maybe I should not jump the gun as you might not yet have finished the report but, once after the miles of nothing when you reach Rd 1001, if you head northwest along the 1001 for about a km or so there is a road going south to the Buathong Waterfall which is quite nice and is located in the Chet Si Forest Park.

Tim, you should have picked up the Iron Bridges trail around 20Km after crossing the lake heading east to west.

Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 13.08.20.png

Nice will have to try that soon.. I used to walk the pup over at that lake, and grab a cold beer or 3 for my troubles at the little huts, its quite pleasant over there.

I had seen the boat but didnt know it was a regular ferry type deal.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Re iron bridges and waterfalls, I was heading up to Mae Sai for a visa run rather than sight seeing but something to bear in mind for the future, although I won't be rushing to put the boke on that ferry again. As for anything bigger, forget it. Re bigger boat, I didn't see any sign of activity on the other side and haven't in several rides there.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Re iron bridges and waterfalls, I was heading up to Mae Sai for a visa run rather than sight seeing but something to bear in mind for the future, although I won't be rushing to put the boke on that ferry again. As for anything bigger, forget it. Re bigger boat, I didn't see any sign of activity on the other side and haven't in several rides there.

I didn't see any sign of activity on the other side and haven't in several rides there.

I was there on monday and the little twin hull ferry was running but the restaurant (and plenty of other local businesses) above was closed.

Tim definitely give the iron bridges ride a go all the way up to Mae Khachan

Well did an improv day on the dizzys yesterday.. Lots of new roads and some dirt out Mae On to Chae Son way.. Then decided to do the iron bridges return route taking the ferry home..

Word of warning, at 5 or 5:30 theres no ferry.. After a few 100ks on the bikes, with serious monkey butt.. The fact you could almost see the beer huts on the other side of the lake and no way to get there was soul crushing !!

^ also last one of the day,north to south,is full of workers and their bikes.

Any idea on what times it runs.. There is a phone number but not connecting.

I've seen it run at around 5-5.30.
Strange thing is some things were shut down out there earlier in the week that normally aren't.
A Thai mentioned that a senior monk of the area had died that week....who knows.

I'll try and get a contact for the boat next time out there.

The boats phone for anyone who wants it is 0873 035760 but it was off.

It was still easy daylight and we whistled and waited for 30 mins in case. I figured it would run until dusk personally.

I have also been reliably informed theres some burmese knocking shops just there also ;) Of course, shocking state of affairs to be avoided.

Back
Top Bottom