Ride and Camp to Gunung Jerai via Selama & Sik

MohdRashidin

Bikes
1994 Honda Shadow 2013 KLE 650
Mount Jerai is a massive single limestone outcrop, separated from the rest of the Titiwangsa mountain range in Peninsular Malaysia, at 1175m high from sea-level. The mountain is rich in history and involved with the opening of many places and ancient buildings or structures in northern Peninsular Malaysia.

Syahril who has not join my rides since November last year, finally agreed to join me (thanks mate!) in this ride and we met at R&R Rawang on Saturday morning, 7[SUP]th[/SUP] of May.

The plan is to ride to Gunung Jerai through inner road of Perak & Kedah and the plan look like this:

The route is relatively flat and boring until Kuala Kangsar and it has quite a few climbs and descend soon after that.

We departed about 8.15am and the weather that morning is good with a lot of vehicles making their way to the north.

We made a quick stop at Sungai Perak rest area for petrol and resume riding shortly. We then made an exit at Kuala Kangsar interchange heading to Tasik Raban. Traffic along route 76 Kuala Kangsar to Gerik is normal and not as many as on E1 northbound just now.

We turned left to Kuak and stopped at Tasik Raban for picture session as the place is really as picturesque as ever.

Old road overlooking Sultan Nazrin bridge over Tasik Raban in Lenggong

From Tasik Raban we returned to route 76 towards Gerik and made a left turn in Kampung Sumpitan through A6 towards Lata Tebing Tinggi. This road is very good winding road with elevation up to 395m with a lot of twists, winding up and down around Gunung Rambong (1183m) range.

We made a quick stop at Tebing Tinggi waterfall and this is my 3rd visit here.
.​

I personally think that this road section A6 (from Selama to Kampung Sumpitan) is amongst top three best road for riders in Perak.

We continued towards Selama via A115 through Kampung Rantau Panjang.

Generally roads of inner Perak are in good shape with smooth tarmac surfaces and wide shoulder available but it get smaller and rougher as we cross into state of Kedah, starting with K817, route 169, K116 and K19.

We passed through Ladang Sungai Dingin, previously known as Dublin estate, with a complete golf course in the middle of the estate, deep in central northern state of Kedah.

When we passed through Kampung Badang, rain began to pour and we ride cautiously towards Kuala Pegang and Jeniang.

We stopped for lunch at a small warung in Kampung Batu 7, Kuala Ketil.

We continued to Jeniang via Kampung Beris and Sik,

and made it safely to Gurun by 3.00pm.

From Gurun, we went to Kampung Sedaka for a picture session. Nice green paddy field with Jerai mount as background

We went to find Bunting Island, with a bridge to nowhere (RM1.8m were spent to build this bridge, to inhabitant island)

Look ma! I'm levitating!

About 3.30pm we went to the foot of Mount Jerai and stopped by a small stall for iced coffee.

It began to rain again in Gurun and when we started riding up around 4.00pm it is still raining.

The small, steep and winding road has steady streams of water flowing across it but we rode slowly and cautiously up

and arrived at the resort safely around 4.30pm. The resort was covered in thick fog and mist.

Campsite in the resort cost RM65 and that is just for the site and facilities.

Picture credit to Syahril Zulkifli

It continues to rain and by 5.30pm, the campsite gets really misty and dark.

We had to tie my canvas to become roof and started cooking underneath it.

Menu for the night is sardine with tomato sauce, scramble egg and sambal lada hiris.

We tried to set a campfire right after dinner but woods and leaves are too wet to light. We chatted over strawberry tea & coffee and eventually retrieve to our tent around 11.00pm. The temperature continues to drop and the lowest is at 19 degrees Celsius that night.

Large bugs and frog dominates one of the toilet

The next day started around 6.30am and the weather is clear. Syahril prepared breakfast that morning, pasta with tuna and fried egg.

A glimpse of sunrise from the campsite

We took our time to enjoy the breeze and lower temperature so we only pack up our stuff around 10.00am.

By 10.30am, we started our descend to Gurun. Note the island on the horizon.

We went back through Gurun, Jeniang, Sik and Gerik

River is full from last night's rain

Route 4 passing through Sungai Rui

Gunung Kendrong (1000m) in foreground

Passing through Gerik around noon

We stopped for lunch at Restoran Tasik Raban in Lenggong

We made a quick stop for petrol in Tapah and by 4.30pm we have arrived at Rawang and said goodbye to each other there.

We get to visit a lot of new places and small kampong along our way to the campsite. The mild and misty weather of the campsite is also very welcoming and I personally think that this is the best campsite I have ever camped in my riding history.

My advice to others is to leave as little footprint as you can as we all want this pristine conditions to last for future generations.
I would encourage all riders to camp here but do not forget to book early as there are limited ground to camp in this facility. However there are a few more sites available outside the resort to explore if the site is fully booked.

****************Originally posted on myridinguniverse.blogspot.com*******************************************

Back
Top Bottom