Pailin Crossing

Lucky

Bikes
Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Ninja 1000
I've made many motorcycle trips from Pattaya to Cambodia over the past few years and I always cross at Koh Kong heading to Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville. I'm planning another trip to Phnom Penh the end of this month but this time I'm going via Battambang and crossing at Pailin. I usually get an online visa to save time and a page in my passport and I just tried to get an online visa for the Pailin/Phsar Phrum crossing but I didn't see anything on the Cambodia online visa site mentioning that border crossing by name. Is it possible to get an online visa for that crossing and if so, what name is it listed as on the list of border crossings.

As you say Richard Osmach is trouble free, Poipet has long been known for problems for motorcycle travellers and the crossing of palms to get through.

I have done the Pailin crossing from Cambodia to Thailand. The official name is Phrom (or Prom), that’s maybe why you can’t find it.

This crossing is very fast and smooth. Much faster than Poipet where lots of visa run / back packets cross.

No issues there.
Safe riding

I have done the Pailin crossing from Cambodia to Thailand. The official name is Phrom (or Prom), that’s maybe why you can’t find it.

This crossing is very fast and smooth. Much faster than Poipet where lots of visa run / back packets cross.

No issues there.
Safe riding
yes, easy to LEAVE Cambodia an enter thailand.
NOT the other way around:)

yes, easy to LEAVE Cambodia an enter thailand.
NOT the other way around:)

Not sure how up-to-date your information is.

I have seen many Thai vehicles get in at Pailin/Pong Nam Ron easily, including on my most recent trip to Cambodia, when I re-entered Thailand there. I think things are starting to get easier now with the roll-out of the TIP at the Cambodian borders.

Also been told that entering Cambodia at Chong Sa-ngam/Anlong Veng should be straightforward too. At least a Thai government employee who travels that way a lot, has told me so. When he goes he does so privately. Still, little reason to bother with that crossing given Chong Chom/O'Smach is only 100km away.

An overlander with New Zealand plated bike entered Cambodia at Pailin two days ago and reported it was quite easy. He got a TIP and was told to keep it and hand it back when he exited the country - which he planned to do at O’Smach btw.
So seems the TIP system is implemented at some bordercrossings at least.

An overlander with New Zealand plated bike entered Cambodia at Pailin two days ago and reported it was quite easy. He got a TIP and was told to keep it and hand it back when he exited the country - which he planned to do at O’Smach btw.
So seems the TIP system is implemented at some bordercrossings at least.

Doesn't surprise me. It looks like Cambodia has finally started to become friendlier and more predictable towards foreign vehicles. Though I wouldn't enter at Poipet or Ban Laem at this stage, Pailin/Prom is very easy as it must be, given the dozens of Thai vehicles I spotted there driving well into the country, on my exit there back into Thailand a few months ago.

Also saw a post about another rider on a Thai bike heading into Prom, no problems. Similarly also a car driver on Thai plates. Again no problem. Not sure if it was here or over on Gt-rider. Might have been the latter. Both reports within the past year.

Back
Top Bottom