Pailin to Koh Kong via Pramoy and Cardamoms

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
If you ever need to cut out some distance going between Pailin and Koh Kong, this is the way to go, unless you go into Thailand. If you go the major route via Battambang and Phnom Penh it is 630 kilometers. The route across Cardamom Mountains is 260 kilometers. You will probably not save any time on the other hand.

All you need to ride your bike into Cambodia is your passport, a passport photo and the bike's green book. You have to own the bike or bring an authorization from the owner. VISA on arrival is available.

Download POIs and tracks for GPS (.gpx) or Google Earth (.kmz)
The numbers written in superscript in the text are references to these files. The Google Earth file shows where all the pictures were taken.

View POIs and tracks in GPSvisualizer

All roads and POIs mentioned in this text are updated to OpenStreetMap

map.jpg

March 25th 2013 Monday

Drove towards Ban Pakkhad border crossing and came across this fancy new road that bypasses a part of 3087.

001.jpg

002.jpg

It seems to bypass an area that will be flooded once this dam is ready.

003.jpg

Out on 317 I stopped at this little restaurant[SUP]01[/SUP] for some water. I did not catch the name.

004.jpg

It sports a pretty good view.

005.jpg

Drove around a bit to fill in some blanks on OSM and then I crossed the border[SUP]02[/SUP] at Ban Pakkhad without any major hassle. Checked in at the Bamboo[SUP]03[/SUP] in Pailin. Rooms starting at $8. I went for a bungalow for $15 with A/C, TV, fridge, hot shower. You have WiFi in the restaurant area.

006.jpg

March 26th 2013 Tuesday

Continued on 57 towards Battambang.

007.jpg

Turned right on this small but paved road[SUP]04[/SUP].

008.jpg

At this bridge the pavement ends.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Dirt beyond the bridge.

011.jpg

Time to fuel up[SUP]05[/SUP].

012.jpg

A quick look at this road going west.

013.jpg

A quick look at this road going south.

014.jpg

About 4 kilometers to a river without, to my knowledge, any proper bridge.

015.jpg

When the road sort of ends before the river I turned left and got on this track. I have seen some sort of bridge on Google earth this way.

016.jpg

The short track leads to this bridge[SUP]06[/SUP]. It is not more than one meter wide. Crossing it made me a bit nervous as it had seen better days.

017.jpg

018.jpg

On the other side was this road.

019.jpg

020.jpg

A quick look at this road going south.

021.jpg

I got to a village with a gas station[SUP]07[/SUP], the last before Pramoy. Then a T-crossing where I turned left first to a road heading east that was being built/fixed. I wonder where it goes.

022.jpg

U-turned and headed west through the village.

023.jpg

After the village to road turns south. It is being built with new bridges.

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

The road ended at a track going east-west. I turned left to the east.

027.jpg

Then the mud holes started to appear.

028.jpg

029.jpg

Crap, the mud got me. The bike is stuck and is held up by the mud. Had to tilt it down and drag it out sideways. A guy on a scooter stopped and helped me. I was surprised to see a fair share of scooter traffic on this trail.

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Another track from the last road merges merges here.

033.jpg

At this mud hole I got a little smarter. I waited for a local guy to see what path he would take.

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

Then I came to a small settlement and stopped for water. The locals told me it was "Preo Pee" village[SUP]08[/SUP]. The GPS gets some attention.

040.jpg

Behold, it is a road from here, not big but a road.

041.jpg

I also noted I busted my radiator fluid reservoir when pulling the bike out of the mud earlier.

042.jpg

A good section.

043.jpg

This road has it share of holes but allover it is not bad.

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

A burst of rain. Put my camera in my top box. I ended up soaked.

050.jpg

Here it has cleared up again.

051.jpg

052.jpg

Here[SUP]09[/SUP] I T-bone the main road from Pursat to Pramoy. It is good dirt and takes me the last few kilometers to Pramoy.

053.jpg

I was soaked and had no high expectations of accommodation so I checked in at first place I did see. It was Metpheap Guesthouse[SUP]10[/SUP]. $5 for a room with en-suite crapper, bucket shower, fan, electric outlet and a mosquito net. The GPS gets some more attention.

054.jpg

I went out to have a look around and the first thing I see is this guesthouse[SUP]11[/SUP]. A palace compared to my place. I also noted a couple of gas stations[SUP]12+13[/SUP].

055.jpg

I continued west to see how far the road would go.

056.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

Very dense jungle here.

059.jpg

Here I turned around and headed back to Pramoy but the road kept going, maybe all the way to Thailand.

060.jpg

Here was a peak[SUP]14[/SUP] at 939 meters.

061.jpg

Some phone company had found it too.

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

Back in Pramoy I had some grub at a local place[SUP]15[/SUP].

066.jpg

March 27th 2013 Wednesday

Had a quick look at the street going north. It had two more guesthouses on it. Veal Veng guesthouse[SUP]16[/SUP] in some sort of old west style.

067.jpg

And this un-named one[SUP]17[/SUP].

068.jpg

Pramoy's roundabout.

069.jpg

Then headed south crossing this river.

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

Some bridges had seen better days.

076.jpg

077.jpg

I make a right[SUP]18[/SUP] and got out on a brand new road. I take it to see where it goes.

078.jpg

It goes north-west and then north-east back to the road I came in on and then curves away again.

079.jpg

080.jpg

After another loop the new road meets the old again at some kind of settlement[SUP]19[/SUP].

081.jpg

I drove back the same way.

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

I pass the point where I entered this new road and continue south.

087.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

It crosses this river.

090.jpg

It joins[SUP]20[/SUP] the old road and heads east.

091.jpg

It takes me to a small village named 'Oh Saom' on OSM. It has four guesthouses[SUP]21+22+23+24[/SUP] and could be a good stop.

092.jpg

I continue east a little bit.

093.jpg

094.jpg

The road soon turns into a track and I turn around.

095.jpg

It is pretty out here.

096.jpg

Downtown Oh Saom.

097.jpg

I take the road south out of town.

098.jpg

Burnt jungle. It looks like hell.

099.jpg

100.jpg

But here it is super nice.

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

More hell.

104.jpg

I get to some sort of electrical station. A road goes west from here[SUP]25[/SUP] and one south. Both looks the same.

105.jpg

I take the one going west.

106.jpg

I get to a dam construction so I take it as this is the newer road.

107.jpg

108.jpg

Then the road heads south. It is in poor condition.

109.jpg

110.jpg

Another dam construction.

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

The road improves south of the last construction site.

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Another dam.

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

I turn left onto a road to yet another dam.

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

Then continue south. The road got worse again.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

I passed the entrance to the old road[SUP]26[/SUP] but turned back to have a look.

136.jpg

137.jpg

Back out on the main road going south again.

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

As you approach Koh Kong you ride on a ridge and get some good views.

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

146.jpg

Asphalt. I have not seen that since yesterday morning. What a nice sight.

147.jpg

Headed east on 48.

148.jpg

Checked out a new dirt road going south off of 48.

149.jpg

It seemed to end at a temple.

150.jpg

Back to 48 and continued on to Tatai. Tatai bridge.

151.jpg

Local shop overlooking the bridge.

152.jpg

Continued on 48.

153.jpg

Checked out an other new dirt road going south off of 48.

154.jpg

It came to a stop at a bridge construction that was not passable.

155.jpg

Checked in at this guesthouse[SUP]27[/SUP]. $6 for fan, electric outlet and mosquito net.

156.jpg

70s style?

157.jpg

View from An Daung Toeuk Bridge.

158.jpg

159.jpg

March 28th 2013 Thursday

Went looking for Chi Phat village to have a quick look. I heard about Chi Phat from RideAsia forum. Turned left[SUP]28[/SUP] about 2 kilometers after An Daung Toeuk Bridge onto this little dirt road. Had to make a few turns but Chi Phat was sign posted from here.

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

Got to this bike ferry[SUP]29[/SUP] which took me across the river to Chi Phat which is on the other river bank. If you continue a little bit passed the bike ferry there is a car ferry too[SUP]30[/SUP].

163.jpg

164.jpg

When you land on the other side you go right and pass some shops and come out at the car ferry landing.

165.jpg

Downtown Chi Phat. There were many guesthouses in this village. I marked about 8 but there were some more.

166.jpg

Tourist information Center[SUP]31[/SUP]. I asked for the burial site mentioned on RideAsia forum but they had never heard of it they said.

167.jpg

168.jpg

Drove the only road out of town for a random look.

169.jpg

170.jpg

Got to this water crossing and turned around.

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

Noted a sign for a waterfall[SUP]32[/SUP] and turned in on a small track leading to it. Very dry.

174.jpg

175.jpg

This area seemed like it is worth to spend a night here some day. Went back to the ferry.

176.jpg

177.jpg

Out on the main road again I had a look at these bungalows, Boeung Meas Guesthouse and Restaurant[SUP]33[/SUP]. Was qouted $10. Could be a good stop maybe.

178.jpg

179.jpg

Checked out this road going to yet some other Chinese dam project. Brand new dirt.

180.jpg

This is the main road[SUP]34[/SUP] going to Pramoy from Pursat. On this end it was paved. Wonder how far the pavement goes.

181.jpg

Started to feel a bit sick. Maybe dehydrated. Drove to Battambang and ended up staying in Royal Hotel[SUP]35[/SUP] for two days. The hotel was $15 for an A/C room with fridge, ceiling fan, TV, hot shower and WiFi. This hotel is opposite Wood House Restaurant[SUP]36[/SUP] which has good food for competitive prices. They also had a roof top restaurant but it was not much more than some tables and chairs.

March 31th 2013 Sunday

I felt good again so I took aim for home with a de-tour to Phnom Ek[SUP]37[/SUP]. I drove towards Sisonpon on 5 and then turned right towards Phnom Ek[SUP]37[/SUP]. I expected a big hill but there was none so I passed it and turned back. This is the small road back to Battambang following a small river, may be it is the better way to get here.

182.jpg

Found it and was greeted by this big Buddha.

183.jpg

Buddhas under the big Buddha.

184.jpg

Phnom Ek[SUP]37[/SUP], not very impressive if you have seen any of the bigger sites. You mind as well save the $3 entrance fee.

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

Took another dirt road straight west out to 5.

190.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

The new bypass.

193.jpg

Some sort of small water park[SUP]38[/SUP].

194.jpg

195.jpg

Pailin provincial border.

196.jpg

197.jpg

Pailin Ruby Guesthouse[SUP]39[/SUP], I have not noted this before.

198.jpg

Had some food at the Bamboo[SUP]03[/SUP] and then I drove home.

199.jpg

Awesome report Nightrider!! Amazing to see the development changes taking place bordering the Cardomons. 'Oh Saom' now has a multitude of Guest houses, who would have thought. Pramoy with that royal palace hotel boggles the mind. Things are changing fast and the dams are getting built quickly. Thanks for the links to your waypoints and tracks on GPS visualizer. is there a method to downloading your waypoints on GPS visualizer? I saw no menu choices displayed to access the data. Thanks again for the RR.

Nightrider! Thank you for taking us with you (blow by blow) through some fascinating countryside.

:RO

Ally

Awesome report Nightrider!! Amazing to see the development changes taking place bordering the Cardomons. 'Oh Saom' now has a multitude of Guest houses, who would have thought. Pramoy with that royal palace hotel boggles the mind. Things are changing fast and the dams are getting built quickly. Thanks for the links to your waypoints and tracks on GPS visualizer. is there a method to downloading your waypoints on GPS visualizer? I saw no menu choices displayed to access the data. Thanks again for the RR.

I think a big part of the fun to ride in Cambodia is to see all the new development. I had never been in this area before but from the older reports I can imagine.

I wish I had known about that "palace" just up the road in Pramoy when I arrived all soaked.

I was surprised to see those guesthouses in 'Oh Saom'. The area had it is charm but it is still hard to believe they get tourists enough to jusify four guesthouses.

The tracks and POIs you see in GPS Visulizer are the ones from the gpx file I link to three rows up from the link to the GPS visualizer. Here is the link again: GPS (.gpx) The file contains both the tracks and the POIs.

And if you have a garmin you get my "edition" of OSM here which now includes these roads and POIs.

Great report thank you, have not ridden in Cambodia yet the roads are a real mixture making the choice of what bike to use would difficult, notice you ride the DRZ with what looks Pirelli street Tyres?

Great report thank you, have not ridden in Cambodia yet the roads are a real mixture making the choice of what bike to use would difficult, notice you ride the DRZ with what looks Pirelli street Tyres?

Edit: Nowadays you can ride any bike in Cambodia because there are paved roads to most major town at least. You can ride a Harley to Preah Vihear nowadays for example, pavement all the way. You limit yourself a bit on a road bike but you can go to the major sites.

Dunlop Arrowmax, 100% street. I ride 95% on pavement. I may get some 90/10 or 80/20 tires next time I change if I can source some without hassle. The selection of 90/10 and 80/20 tires are very limited for 17 inch rims but I don't want to ride on 18/19 or 18/21 wheels as I find them sluggish on the pavement where I spend the most time.

Thanks for a great report and pics set out in such an easy to follow way. Inspiring stuff (y)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Cambodia Ride Reports 7
W Cambodia Ride Reports 3
Back
Top Bottom