Border crossing Prum Cambodia and highway 57 in Cambodia

heineken

Bikes
1996 Harley Davidson Softail Custum
Hello everyone

I am thinking about crossing in to Cambodia at Prum and then go from there to Siam Reap.

Does anyone know if highway 57 from the Thailand border is paved up to Sisophon ( Cambodia ) from the border ?

I will be greatfull for an answer on that question .

Many thanks

Helge from Norway ( Living in Pattaya )

The roads from Prum to Sisophon via Battambang are paved all the way. You can also go the new road north from Pailin along the border to Poi Pet, this road was almost all paved last time I rode.

You may have one problem if your bike/car has Thai plates however, last time I entered at Prum I was not allowed to go outside Pailin province. Your best bet is to enter at PoiPet.

NightRider from Sweden (Living in Pattaya)

Last time I was in that area it was still dirt but that is more than 7 years ago and things change fast. Maybe NightRider has more up to date information as he seems to be travelling quite a bit in Cambodia. By the way, the Open Street Map for Cambodia (December 2012) shows Rd 57 as "Other Highway" all the way up to Battambang and Sisiophon and that indicates that it is a paved road now. (Just saw that NightRider beat me to answering your question).

Yes, a friend tried to enter with his car with Thai number plates and he was not allowed to enter (only for 1 km. or so). He was told he could enter a bit to the north at Ban Laem (on the Thai side) but that he would have to get permission first from the Thai Army

The roads from Prum to Sisophon via Battambang are paved all the way. You can also go the new road north from Pailin along the border to Poi Pet, this road was almost all paved last time I rode.

You may have one problem if your bike/car has Thai plates however, last time I entered at Prum I was not allowed to go outside Pailin province. Your best bet is to enter at PoiPet.

Thank you very musch for the reply NigthRider.

I going to cross with my Harley with Thai plates . But i tried to cross at Poipet 3 years ago. and custum at Cambodia side would not give me custum papers and we had to go without custum papers . We exit then in Hat Lek, and that was not a problem. Maybe its different now. How long ago did you cross at Prum ?

DuchMike crossed Prum i january 2013 Border crossing Cambodia at Ban Prakkad and trip to Banteay Chhmar

We are planning to exit in to Thailand a Poipet. If we dont have any custum papers for Cambodia . Will that be a problem ?

Many thanks again for the help.

Best regards Helge ( Heineken )

Thank you very musch for the reply NigthRider.

I going to cross with my Harley with Thai plates . But i tried to cross at Poipet 3 years ago. and custum at Cambodia side would not give me custum papers and we had to go without custum papers . We exit then in Hat Lek, and that was not a problem. Maybe its different now. How long ago did you cross at Prum ?

DuchMike crossed Prum i january 2013 Border crossing Cambodia at Ban Prakkad and trip to Banteay Chhmar

We are planning to exit in to Thailand a Poipet. If we dont have any custum papers for Cambodia . Will that be a problem ?

Many thanks again for the help.

Best regards Helge ( Heineken )

Crossed last week at Kap Choeng/Osmach and did not get any customs paper and most people crossing don't even bother stopping at Customs as in almost all cases they don't get any customs papers at all. Leaving Cambodia at the same border post we did not stop at Customs and no one asked for any customs papers (temporary import).

With regard to Ban Laem I don't know as the guy decided that he had enough trying to get into Cambodia and went to Koh Chang instead (this was in January this year). Here is a copy of the email he sent me:

Just for info.... I went to Ban Phakkat to try and get into Cambodia. I went there years ago and it was really quiet, the road was dirt. Today it was a totally different story, 100's of falangs on visa runs, loads of silver vans, etc... The queue went around the car park!

I asked a Thai immigration lady about taking the car across and she said I would be limited to 1 km from the border post. She said there are checkpoints in case you try and do a runner and the penalties are harsh.

She suggested I go to another border crossing 20km north called Ban Leam. I went there and a helpful Thai Amy guy said we could cross, but needed to get some documentation from a Thai army base 20 km away and return. He said we could cross for 14 days. At this point we gave up!

Now on the beach in Koh Chang with a Leo.

Hello again

Thanks for helpfull information from everbody :-)

So thats means . The best way to cross into Cambodia is Poipet and just forget the custum papers like i did 3 years ago ? :-)

Does anyone know about insurance for the bike in Cambodia and where to buy it ?

Thanks again.

Best Regards Helge

Insurance - I have not been able to buy insurance at the Cambodian border unlike in Laos where at the border crossings there is in almost all cases and insurance agent who sells insurance even for a short stay of a week or two. So, during my trip last week I did not have insurance simply because I could not find an insurance agent. Yes that is scary but other people also report that they were not able to buy insurance so you just have to be careful while driving in Cambodia.

I've been to Cambo maybe a dozen times, since 2001. There is no requirement to obtain insurance, unlike Laos.
If you are really concerned, as any Thai med/liability insurance is not valid in Cambo, then go to one of the Cambo
insurance outlets, which can be found in most larger communities.

View attachment 15524

Hello everbody and thanks for many answers .

We crossed the BanPakkhad and Prum border in to Cambodia today.

No problem at all. The custom on the thai site was very helpfull.But they where very slow with the custom papers.
Looked like they had not done the custum papers for motor bikes many times :-) But they smiled and helped us as good as they could .

Then we went to the " agents " on the thai site , that makes the Cambodia Visa. Paid 1100 bath for the Cambo visa and then they said. just wait 10 minutes , and one of the girls working there went over to the Cambodia side.

When we crossed in to Camodia with our bikes. the girl stood there with the immigration officer and wayed us welcom to Cambodia and have a nice trip :-)

We did not even have to make our arrivale stamp into Cambodia . The agent had done that for us, and they even wanted any extra money for that :-)

But we did not get any custom papers to Cambodia ( Same as my last 3 trips into Cambodia )

So if you want to cross at BanPakkhad and Prum border , speak to the agents . They where helpfull and very polite :-)

We took the highway 57 to Battambang and then to Sisophon and then to Ankor Wat. Good road and many nice stops along the way :-)

So i would recomend to cross BanPakkhad and Prum border. But stay over in Thailand the day before and be on the border at 0700 in the morning. Almost no people at the border :-)

Hope this was helpfull.

We tried to get insurance in Cambodia . But its was no when we asked , because we did not have any custum papers from Cambodia .

Ride safe :-)

Best regards

Helge ( Nickname Heineken )

Hi Helga/Heineken,

Good to hear that you had no problems crossing the border. With regard to insurance this is a bit of a Catch-22 situation as the customs people basically "refuse" to provide customs documentation while you need the documentation to get insurance. Hate to think about the case where you would have an accident with a bike which is "officially not in the country" and no insurance.

I entered Cambodia at Poi Pet on the 10th and spent the night in Sisophone. Yesterday I drove to Battambang and today I exited Cambodia at Ban Pakkhad.

Maybe we met somewhere on the road from Sisphone to Battambang.

I entered Cambodia at Poi Pet on the 10th and spent the night in Sisophone. Yesterday I drove to Battambang and today I exited Cambodia at Ban Pakkhad.

Maybe we met somewhere on the road from Sisphone to Battambang.

I wonder why other riders are experiencing difficulties entering Cambodia?

Never sent from an I-Phone

I wonder why other riders are experiencing difficulties entering Cambodia?

Never sent from an I-Phone

From my own experience Cambodia is easy to enter with a Thai registered bike. I have never been unable to enter, unlike Laos and Vietnam. The issues I have had were at Ban Pakkhad and Ban laem where they let me in but only allowed me to go so far in.

Cars could be complete different.

From my own experience Cambodia is easy to enter with a Thai registered bike. I have never been unable to enter, unlike Laos and Vietnam. The issues I have had were at Ban Pakkhad and Ban laem where they let me in but only allowed me to go so far in.

Cars could be complete different.

You think they are wary of foreign (Non-Thai) registered bikes as they can't read the registration documents for the bike?

You think they are wary of foreign (Non-Thai) registered bikes as they can't read the registration documents for the bike?

I had no problem when I entered but got no paperwork nor insurance

Aussie rego bike and had no problems when I left either

I don't know what it could be. When they said last year that I could go in at Ban Pakkhad and Ban Laem but only so many kilometers they did says something about Thai number plates not being international. I then showed my "Vehicle Registration Certificate" which has the Thai number in international form but it did not help.

Back
Top Bottom