KLX150 and D-Tracker 150 now available in Kawasaki Chiang Mai showroom
Both are road legal
didnt have a GOOD camera but...
7142446789_cbe168085f_z.jpg

7142445699_2074fa1330_z.jpg

6996357614_ecf4a4c70b_z.jpg

6996357788_c4002a6e59_z.jpg

6996357760_93eccdebe5_z.jpg

KLX has the same frame as the 140L, but the swingarm is steel. The shock has only preload adjustment.
The exhaust is different and looks a lot heavier
And it's 75000baht

Looking at these pics, at the KLX125 sold here and at the KLX150 available in Malaysia, etc. it seems that this KLX150 is just the 125 with the bigger engine in it. It's not quite the same as the KLX150 sold elsewhere. Eg. no kick start and check the exhaust and pillion foot pegs. Think this means the seat height and weight is up a bit and maybe there's other differences - but not exactly sure what.

Kawasaki%2BTrail%2BKLX%2B150S.jpg

The 150 they sell in indo seems a solid little thing, they hot them up and would make a great mini bike..

The fi issues here probably lead them to just add 25cc to the weaker 125 offering..

I believe its the same 144(?)cc engine in the 140/150, although the lady in the shop said there were some engine differences/non interchangeable parts

Yep, think it's the same engine and carb as the other 150 (same engine but different carb to the 140) but will check better next time I take a look.

With the modding I'd think to do it won't really make any difference anyway... In fact I like the extra seat height.

Yeah definitely the 144 engine.

I`d suggest that after some feedback that the 125`s were just too gutless the factory decided to slot the 144 engine in an re badge them 150.

Will hunt a bit more next time I am on Bali but I think I remember them having a 180 ish big bore and even someone had made a stroker big bore for over 200cc..

There was a KLX140L in Kawasaki CM that had been bored to somewhere around 185 (by memory) using a 175 Boss piston.
They can do the job as well as fitting a 24ml carb up to them too.

Don`t think i`d be going much bigger than that as it puts a lot more strain on the engine cases and they can crack.

Loop - Kawasaki Chiang Mai supplied the big bore stuff and carb then fitted it?

Checked today - has the same carb as the other KLX150 (not same as KLX140 one).

yes, boss 175 piston.I think they have them on the shelf in kawasaki. Or was it a phantom piston?
Is craig about?, he knows this stuff

The guy at the Kawasaki shop told me they used a Boss piston in their bike.
He said it made a good difference to the power output.With the slightly longer stroke of the 140 it bought the cc`s up to somewhere around 180-185.
He also told me that putting bigger valves in it didn`t make much difference and probably not worth it.

crs said:
Loop - Kawasaki Chiang Mai supplied the big bore stuff and carb then fitted it?

Checked today - has the same carb as the other KLX150 (not same as KLX140 one).

They run a carby do they?

I had a 140L a year or two ago and got to talking to the guy at CM Kwaka one day and he filled me in on all the mods they did to their bike.
They said they could do the big bore for mine but i didn`t bother.....just stepped up to a 220 two stroke instead :d

crs said:
Ta. Will ask them about that...

They change the air box too to supply the extra air needed for the bigger carb and displacement.

By memory it`s off the Boss too,they told me they fit fairly easily.

crs said:
Carb off the boss too?

Carb i got was from an accessory shop in Phuket.
The one in Chiang Moi road may have them as they put them on modded Honda Waves etc.
Kawka CM should be able to organise that too.
Check out Thumper Talk for mods that have been done in the US for them or find out Craigs forum nick from Phil as he has a lot of experience with them in the Phillipines.

^ Not sure if you mean where i found it or my impressions of it.

I got it from baht and sold fairly new.

It was my first dirt bike in 25 years ,last one before that was a Suzuki RM400T....bit of difference between the two 555.
I rode the 140 around the hills of Patong.
For there it was great.Low seat position and smaller wheels meant it was really hard to drop in the tricky stuff. It was a lot of fun to ride.
I also bought some heavier fork springs for it from the US that worked great as the standard ones are very soft and mushy for an adult.The rear shock had enough adjustment on it to make it work well for my 85kg body weight.
There`s also an air box mod for it that lets it breathe better.
Mine went much better after fitting an after market pipe and the carb to it.
They`re fairly docile standard.

Yep, impressions... Wondering how it'll get along around Northern trails.

crs said:
Yep, impressions... Wondering how it'll get along around Northern trails.

Don't see how it will be powerful enough with a 80-95KG farrang on it with steep gradients.

Yeh, that's what I'd like to figure. But, I'm 70kg and the bike should end up 90-100kg so...

Ground clearance is 255 (same as the CRF250L) and seat height is 830 according to specs so not too dinky maybe. Happy (for now) to give up a bit of speed to save trouble on tricky bits with a heavy/high bike.

True though, if it won't have enough power to get up hills then that's no good. Only way is to try and see, I guess - unless someone else already has the knowledge. Who is Craig? Sounds like he's the Man who knows!

I havent ridden one and at 105kg and 193cm I am not ideal for one.. But they are small light and nimble.. Theres a lot to be said for trading power for those characteristics..

^ agree,it would be a good little bike for someone @ 70kg.

Mine had no problem pulling me up the steep hills around Phuket.In 185cc form even better.

Was funny how well the young guy who came with us on the Mae Jo ride was riding it.. (sorry name escapes me.. Craig ??) he was bouncing it about and every time we came to a fallen tree or other height obstacle he just ducked and went, I am caught, bike over, dismount, drag..

Of course a mini bike or 3/4 bike will have disadvantages.. But doesnt make it unlivable.. Just have to enjoy it for what it is and make the most of it..

harrygps said:
WOW, impressed. 75ooo THB is 7ooo cheaper than the 125. A good bike for my wife. I like it

You're right it might be the perfect bike for the female companion.

Well Phil, if we ever go out for a ride together, I'll let you call me Christine... ;)

Yep, Kawasaki can fit the Boss 175 piston and a carb (Chinese copy I think - going to take a look down Chiang Moi tomorrow to see what they're like). Not sure about the air intake mod thing - Kawaski said they couldn't do this. Use a pod air filter maybe? When I've seen everything I might have more of an idea.

Home exhausts should be able to do a system. Will go see them. After that's all tuned up it's just swapping and adding bits like bars, etc. (Can get uprated springs for the forks in Thailand.) Might fit a different cam and CDI too though...

Probably get one tomorrow - but was tempted by the CRF today!

^ Honestly i wouldn`t bother with the cam.

My carb to air box had like a piece of radiator hose that fit up and worked well. Hopefully they`ll jet the carb for you?

Should get the exhaust on and figure the air mods before sorting carb. 100 & 40 jets I guess but will see what Kawasaki reckon/can do.

Would have to import cam and cdi so won't bother with them for now.

Ended up taking it to Chiang Moi for bore to fit Boss 175 piston, Keihin copy 28 carb (118/42 jets) and new cam. Had to take it back today to get a bigger needle jet but seems sorted now. Put a Home racing exhaust on it and am messing about with airbox mods. Weeee!

Got an aftermarket Cdi coming as the revs are capped and ordering some stiffer fork springs.

Like the bike so far - will have to try it off road ASAP...

Will be very interesting to see how it ends up.

crs said:
Ended up taking it to Chiang Moi for bore to fit Boss 175 piston, Keihin copy 28 carb (118/42 jets) and new cam. Had to take it back today to get a bigger needle jet but seems sorted now. Put a Home racing exhaust on it and am messing about with airbox mods. Weeee!

Got an aftermarket Cdi coming as the revs are capped and ordering some stiffer fork springs.

Like the bike so far - will have to try it off road ASAP...

Had to take it back again yesterday (I live in Chiang Dao!) as the starter motor and possibly the battery aren't up to the job now. Can't find room for a KLX250 starter so am having the standard starter motors internals upgraded.

For anyone planning to do similar, I'd recommend going through Kawasaki CM to do the job as, although I think they just send the bike down to Chiang Moi, I'd imagine Kawasaki will end up checking the bike and the mods better. There's a few at Kawasaki that seem to know modding the 140 well - think it's the boss there has got a 140 with custom bore and KX100 forks, etc.

Chiang Moi have been sloppy with checking / thinking about things which they should have been aware of considering they've done this mod plenty before.

Any ideas on the weight I'd save switching from steel rims and swingarm to ally? Will have to get my bike weighed...

^ they weigh in at around 85 kg by memory.

With a 28ml carb,cam,185cc and exhaust i think it will surprise people how well it will go once you get it running properly.

The specs I have seenfor this bike put it at 108 kg sat on one at dealers they do feel really small as others have said more suited to the lighter smaller ferang or thai , looks pretty cheap not sure how much abuse they could take off road....

Loop - you're thinking of the 140. The KLX150 is 113kg standard according to specs I think. The 150 has steel wheels and swing arm and a frikin heavy, crap exhaust on it - plus the lights/clocks stuff. Will weigh mine sooner or later...

Taninthai - What looks 'cheap'? (At 75k they are cheap!) Have fun picking you're new 'lightweight' CRF up, won't you... ;) Good exercise and especially good fun come rainy season, I suppose... Or don't you ever drop it?

Heehee!

(Edit - no, the 150 on sale in Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines is 108kg - the 125 here in Thailand is 113kg. The 150 in Thailand does have a bit of extra / different emissions stuff - exhaust, vapour purge kit - plus different pillion pegs. Can't see them adding much though.)

A quick pic:

IMG_0341.JPG

Kawasaki Boss 175 big bore
modded KLX140 cam (well, apparently that's what it is!)
Keihin PE 28 copy carb
Upgraded starter motor
CDI BRT Hyperband (derestrict)
locally made full exhaust
modded airbox
KLX140 front brake pads
Front fork extenders (2cm so 8mm of forks still clamped)
18/21 Expedition rims with IRC enduro tyres
SDD extended swing arm
13/47 sprockets
KLX250 gear and custom brake levers (hinged)
Protaper KLX110 raised bars
skid pan.
Modded clutch to stop slip (hopefully... and not break it!): http://hobi-otomotif.blogspot.com/2010/ ... selip.html
Also getting some of these in a few weeks when they arrive in Thailand: http://www.drcproducts.com/body/d35-01-113/index.html
And done other bits and bobs that I can't be bothered to remember/list...

Spent about 110-115k on bike, parts and shop work (fitting bb and carb, upgrading starter, making wheels). Not far off a CRF250L price - but a fair way off its weight. Will post the actual weight whenever I get it on some scales but, checking what I've swapped/taken off, should be about 105-110kg wet. (Around 108kg dry/113kg wet is the standard weight.)

Will get out for some testing ASAP!

*Got some 2cm fork extenders (necessary for big wheels but also change the standard bikes geometry to help with the light front end) and the old rims + tyres spare if anyone's interested.

Been playing and testing - seems OK on the road. Bit more stable...

Difficult to judge/figure with all the changes but:
1. full off-road tyres feel mores skitty anyways.
2. The extended swingarm will have increased the wheelbase (good for straight line stability) but will have also raised the rear some making front more twitchy.
3. I've maxed shock preload, ready for the stronger front springs. This'll jack up the rear extra and make the steering lighter.

(Note, you don't get a shock spanner with the 150. Kawasaki reckons you can't adjust it on bike - they took it out and clamped it to adjust.)

Need them stronger fork springs ASAP. Suffers dive a bit much - especially with the stronger 140 brake pads! Hopefully then it'll balance out better.

Think my arm's about OK ( :lost did break it on NOB ride!) for some off-road testing now. :G

EDIT: wish I'd not been 'cheap cheap' now and had used some new hubs cos would like to have my old wheels still built as a comparison... Will maybe get them redone and put some enduro tyres on them - good for when it's very slippery as the seat is a fair bit taller now (lots more ground clearance).

Chris- This is looking like a really interesting light-weight trail riding bike with all the mods you have done to, congrats on putting the time and effort into this project.

crs said:
Been playing and testing - seems OK on the road. Bit more stable...

Difficult to judge/figure with all the changes but:
1. full off-road tyres feel mores skitty anyways.
2. The extended swingarm will have increased the wheelbase (good for straight line stability) but will have also raised the rear some making front more twitchy.
3. I've maxed shock preload, ready for the stronger front springs. This'll jack up the rear extra and make the steering lighter.

(Note, you don't get a shock spanner with the 150. Kawasaki reckons you can't adjust it on bike - they took it out and clamped it to adjust.)

Need them stronger fork springs ASAP. Suffers dive a bit much - especially with the stronger 140 brake pads! Hopefully then it'll balance out better.

Think my arm's about OK ( :lost did break it on NOB ride!) for some off-road testing now. :G

EDIT: wish I'd not been 'cheap cheap' now and had used some new hubs cos would like to have my old wheels still built as a comparison... Will maybe get them redone and put some enduro tyres on them - good for when it's very slippery as the seat is a fair bit taller now (lots more ground clearance).

Back
Top Bottom