Kawasaki 150 KLX & D-Tracker choices 2012

Shame about the front Suspension. Is the setup much different to the KLX250 ? .... I have Ohlins springs in mine and they a lot firmer than Stock. I just wonder if they would fit the 150 forks !?

Last time I checked Ohlins only do the rear shock for the 150 and not the fork springs

It does drink oil when ridden hard all day in first and second gear. Coming back from Pai, lots of single track it used 150 ml of engine oil.

I must ask at Kawasaki if the springs in the KLX 140 are stronger and if they will fit the 150.

Somewhere I read that the forks off a KX 100 I think, fit the 150 and are a lot better.

1,500 km's on the Kawasaki KLX 150 BF (220cc) now. The piston rings bedding in has reduced the engine oil consumption and its not noticeably using any oil currently. The Ohlin, 9,000 Bht rear shock's are on back order for Thailand, as soon as they come that will be a welcomed modification. The front shocks are not set up for fat westerners and bottom out easy. The Thai's say switch the front fork oil for thicker 20W oil and it solves the problem, so that will be done.

P_20160309_172446.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

We did a rolling start of the KLX 150 & a stock CRF 250 L , rolling in 2nd gear and acceleration was almost identical between the two bikes with the KLX 150 being more than 20kg lighter.

Fuel consumption varies radically on the KLX 150 with how much throttle is used (extra power from a tiny motor doesnt come at a cost). Ridden hard, fuel consumption goes down to around 22km per liter. Still havnt dared test the full fuel range with reserve, but would guess around 170km.

Overall very impressed with the KLX 150 (220cc) considering the cost and its road legal in Thailand. The bars need raising substantially to make it feel like its fits an adult and there's not enough spare on the cables and front brake hose to make it perfect.

RIMG4025 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Phil is the seat height nearly as high as the CRF 250?

Sounds like a good option, given price, legality, and only 115kg.
Is the Honda carb fitted with the big bore kit a pumper carb ?
I had a look on the Racetech Spring Calculator site and they dont list the KLX150 unfortunately.
Once you do get the correct front and rear springs for your weight it should be a huge improvement in handling.

I suppose being air cooled and with the larger engine capacity, overheating/clutch wear might be an issue in slow hot single track, especially if fully loaded with gear etc ?

Sounds like a good option, given price, legality, and only 115kg.
Is the Honda carb fitted with the big bore kit a pumper carb ?
I had a look on the Racetech Spring Calculator site and they dont list the KLX150 unfortunately.
Once you do get the correct front and rear springs for your weight it should be a huge improvement in handling.

I suppose being air cooled and with the larger engine capacity, overheating/clutch wear might be an issue in slow hot single track, especially if fully loaded with gear etc ?

Yes a pumper carb

BNS Burning Shop, Chiang Mai has new stock of Ohlin rear shocks for the Kawasaki KLX 150, price 9,400 Bht

ohlin (2) by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

492-3.png

Looks like the 150 has really taken off, lots of new stock in the Chiang Mai Kawasaki dealer today

P_20160404_160533.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Phil is the seat height nearly as high as the CRF 250?
I checked it today, the seat height of the CRF250L is stated to be 875mm (the Rally is 895mm), the KLX250 is 890mm and the KLX150BF is 870mm.

What I noticed that with my ~93 kilo weight on the seat the KLX150 suspension significantly "sags"......
But it does look well made and a well balanced bike.

It currently comes in green at 87.500 baht, the black and red version (extreme 18 in the price list?!) are 89.000 baht and have gold color anodized upper fork tubes. Currently selling with a 2.000 baht discount in Chiang Rai (y)

Also in Chiang Rai, now the Kawa shop has a full time mechanic, no need to wait for someone to come over from CM.
Service intervals for the KLX150BF are every 6.000 km, first oil change at 1.000 km.

Back
Top Bottom