Garmin Thailand Map and Garmin Express Questions

M1Tanker

Bikes
2008 BMW R1200GSA
Here are some of the Garmin products that I own:

• zūmo 660; Purchased from Touratech in Germany; Registered on my.garmin.com.
  • City Navigator Europe NT 2016.20 - Map+P+3D,Sept 15 (maps for life North America and Europe); Purchased from Touratech in Germany; Registered on my.garmin.com
  • Thailand City Navigator (TCN); Purchased from GPS4YOU ((https://gps4you.ecwid.com)) at IT Fortune Mall in Bangkok, Thailand; NOT registered on my.garmin.com.

I currently have the Thailand City Navigator on my zūmo 660. On the Map Info tab of the zūmo 660 it describes the map as "CN Thailand NT 2015.10 (Eng)" and it has been subsequently updated to CN Thailand NT 2016.20 and then CN Thailand NT 2016.40. The only way that I could update the map was to actually go to GPS4YOU and have them do it. I could not do it online. Do any of you have a similar experience?

I cannot seem to register the Thailand City Navigator map on my.garmin.com as all of my other Garmin products are. I have no idea why. Has anyone been able to register this particular map?

Also, when I launch Garmin Express with my Zumo 660 plugged into my iMac, Garmin Express recognizes the Zumo 660 but states that there is an update for Full Coverage of Europe. It doesn't recognize the Thailand map. What do I do so that Garmin Express recognizes this map?

When I launch Garmin BaseCamp it does recognize the Thailand City Navigator.

I did some research online and I cannot find the aforementioned Thai map on any Garmin website. I have found City Navigator Southeast Asia NT (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/89538#coverage) . Does it have the same level of detail for Thailand as the Thailand City Navigator that I bought at GPS4YOU?

Here is are images of the packaging for the Thailand map that I have:

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some of the Garmin products that I own:

• zūmo 660; Purchased from Touratech in Germany; Registered on my.garmin.com.
  • City Navigator Europe NT 2016.20 - Map+P+3D,Sept 15 (maps for life North America and Europe); Purchased from Touratech in Germany; Registered on my.garmin.com
  • Thailand City Navigator (TCN); Purchased from GPS4YOU ((https://gps4you.ecwid.com)) at IT Fortune Mall in Bangkok, Thailand; NOT registered on my.garmin.com.

I currently have the Thailand City Navigator on my zūmo 660. On the Map Info tab of the zūmo 660 it describes the map as “CN Thailand NT 2015.10 (Eng)" and it has been subsequently updated to CN Thailand NT 2016.20 and then CN Thailand NT 2016.40. The only way that I could update the map was to actually go to GPS4YOU and have them do it. I could not do it online. Do any of you have a similar experience?

I cannot seem to register the Thailand City Navigator map on my.garmin.com as all of my other Garmin products are. I have no idea why. Has anyone been able to register this particular map?

Also, when I launch Garmin Express with my Zumo 660 plugged into my iMac, Garmin Express recognizes the Zumo 660 but states that there is an update for Full Coverage of Europe. It doesn't recognize the Thailand map. What do I do so that Garmin Express recognizes this map?

When I launch Garmin BaseCamp it does recognize the Thailand City Navigator.

I did some research online and I cannot find the aforementioned Thai map on any Garmin website. I have found City Navigator Southeast Asia NT (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/89538#coverage) . Does it have the same level of detail for Thailand as the Thailand City Navigator that I bought at GPS4YOU?

Here is are images of the packaging for the Thailand map that I have:

View attachment 56850

View attachment 56851

I currently have the Thailand City Navigator on my zūmo 660. On the Map Info tab of the zūmo 660 it describes the map as “CN Thailand NT 2015.10 (Eng)" and it has been subsequently updated to CN Thailand NT 2016.20 and then CN Thailand NT 2016.40. The only way that I could update the map was to actually go to GPS4YOU and have them do it. I could not do it online. Do any of you have a similar experience?

I guess that what GPS4YOU has sold to you is a copy of the original map considering that you have to go to GPS4YOU to update the map. As a result you will not be able to register the map on My.Garmin.com as the latter will check if you have an original map as supplied directly by NOSTRA/Garmin Thailand to you. Also, as it is not an original map. Garmin Express will not recognize it as a legal map.

See my answer on your first question

The CN Thailand map is sold by Garmin Thailand while the CN City Navigator S.E.Asia map is a map sold by Garmin itself and, people who have both versions (CN Thailand and CH SE Asia), indicate that the CN THailand is considerable better with regard to automatic routing, etc.

Lone Rider,

Thank you for the detailed answer. Where can I purchase a legal CN Thailand map that Garmin Express will recognize?

M1Tanker

You can buy it from official Garmin dealers in Thailand http://www.garmin.co.th/buy/retailer/

Just checking it a bit more but it seems a bit strange as the Garmin Thailand website only indicates that the 2017.40 map is available for Nuvi's and do not mention the Zumo or the Garmin 64S which I am using together with my Nuvi 55. My Nuvi 55 has Lifetime maps and I updated it to the 2017.20 sometime ago. My Garmin 64S is registered at MyGarmin but as I have the 2016.20 map on it (illegal copy) I am not sure if I can update the map - will try it tomorrow and see what happens. I also see that GPS4YOU is an official dealer for Garmin Thailand and I guess that they should be able to get the official map for you

From the Garmin Thailand website - http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdate/
Garmin City Navigator Thailand 2017.40

Nüvi 42/55/2465LM/2575LM/3592LM/4592LM nüvi maps purchased from a dealer in Thailand

* Please update your software to the latest version before updating your map.

Thailand map for Thai nüvi models: nüvi 42/55/2465/2565/2575 / 2465LM / 2575LM / 3592LM / 4592LM bought from dealers in Thailand.

* Update your software to the latest version before updating Thailand map.

Lone Rider,

I own a nüvi 55 as well and I purchased it at GPW4YOU at Fortune. The nüvi 55 is registered on my.garmin.com. The map that came with the nüvi 55 is CN Thailand NT map but I didn't get the Lifetime maps at the time. If I remember correctly it was updated once and the current map is CN Thailand NT 14.10 GlobeTech according to my.garmin.com.

With regard to the CN Thailand NT 2015.10 (Eng) that I purchased for my zūmo 660, I just don't understand why an authorized dealer is selling a map that appears to be a Garmin product but is not recognized by Garmin Express nor my.garmin.com.

Back
Top Bottom