Garmin GPS's available in Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Garmin GPS's available in Thailand

These Garmin units were spotted for sale in Tesco Lotus and come with the latest ESRI Thailand street map.

THESE UNITS WILL ONLY RECORD YOUR LAST ROUTE/TRACK(IF IN OFF ROAD MODE), YOU NEED A MAPPING GPS SUCH AS A GARMIN 60 CSX OR GARMIN 62 S IF YOU WANT TO MAKE USE OF YOUR HISTORIC TRACKS.

Bare bones Garmin 1250 - 5,900 bht , less than USD$200 in Thailand, not a bad deal
garmin 1250 5900 bht.jpg

More bells and whistles 8,900 bht
garmin 1360 8900 bht.jpg

If you want connectivity then you can go this route 11,900 bht
garmin 1460   11900 bht.jpg

The Garmin 60 CSX which is probably the best choice if you want to save your tracks and plan to do some off road trail riding. The problem here is the price.

With the import taxes Eagle GPS in Chiang Mai, Thailand's retail price is 25,300 bht, the same unit on Amazon is about USD$210 (6,300 bht) , doesn't make sense.

pt-gpsmap60csxRF.jpg

The Garmin 62s has some fantastic new features that the 60 CSX doesn't have , such as wireless data transfer between units and improved sensor. One disadvantage is that the have removed distance to the next turn from the software which i find immensely useful. This sells for around 26,000 bht in Thailand.

62scf-lg.jpg

Garmin Zumo 550 sells in Thailand for around 39,000 bht

ZUMO_550_48b55557176e3_90x90.jpg

A lot of people like these units a lot, big screen, touch screen.

A few things to consider with these, they are big and clunky, if your dirt riding there will be a lot of vibration however you secure this unit to the bike. Midnight mapper has every conceived Garmin GPS unit and doesn't like to take this one trail riding because of it's weight and size, he seems to favor the Garmin 60 csx.

The touch screens are problematic, i have one friend who has gone through 3 touch screens, every time sending the unit back to Garmin Taiwan who send a replacement unit when out of warranty for about USD$220.

Also, the battery is unique and seems to have a finite life of about 18 months depending on cycling, only a Garmin agent can change it easily.

Garmin Zumo 660

Zumo_660_4b6f974c744a4.jpg

660cf-lg.jpg

Lots of bells and whistles if you want them (bluetooth etc...) , retails for about 39,000 bht in Thailand

New Zumo 220

zumo220RightFacing.jpg

This is a new cheap Zumo model. The advantage of the Zumo models is they are sold specified as waterproof & usually record your tracks (this model not sure)

Doesnt look like it records tracks (looking into this as all zumo models normally do), so basically a waterproof Nuvi model. On Amazon this sells for USD$384, so expect a price in Thailand of around 23,000 bht (just a guess)

Get in touch with the open road — have z?mo 220 show you the way. The affordable, compact z?mo 220 motorcycle navigator mounts neatly, right up on your bars ready to guide your ride with spoken street names sent wirelessly to your Bluetooth-enabled helmet or headset.

Designed By Bikers For Bikers
The z?mo 220 has a bright, glove-friendly, color touchscreen display that gives you all the information you need in an easy-to-read format. It’s easy on the eyes whether you’re riding in the bright midday sun or a moonless night. And the intuitive interface makes entering information as easy as shifting gears. But make no mistake this is no car navigator posing as a biker. It’s built tough. With its rugged waterproof case that resists fuel sprays and UV rays, z?mo 220 is built for life on the road.

Go Your Own Way
Pick your route and hit the streets. The z?mo 220 is ready to go, on or off road, right out of the box. It’s preloaded with City Navigator NT street maps and millions of points of interest (POIs) that include motels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and more. It features voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to your destination and displays the speed limits for most major roads. In addition, z?mo 220 offers lane assist to help guide you to the proper lane for complicated highway interchanges. The z?mo 220 also comes standard with a digital fuel gauge so you can keep track of how many miles you have left before it’s time to get gas. And at the end of the ride, it slips comfortably into your jacket pocket.

Move Between Modes
Just because your bike’s parked doesn’t mean your day is done. The z?mo 220 can also pull double duty as a navigator in your car or truck when you’re on four wheels instead of two. In addition to the included motorcycle mount, z?mo 220 also comes with a vehicle mount and power cable.

Plan and Share Your Rides
Searching for the perfect back road to share with your riding buddies? Or perhaps you’re planning a cross-country trip and looking to avoid as much interstate as possible. With its powerful trip planning tools, z?mo 220 can help you create custom routes via computer and then transfer your saved route directly to your z?mo. Once home, you can review your rides in Google Earth. In addition, microSD card expansion makes it easy to share routes and add storage. Be sure to visit Garmin Connect — our online community of routes and riders. It’s a great resource for finding new rides and planning trips.

What's in The Box
zumo 220, preloaded City Navigator NT for North America, MapSource City Navigator North America NT DVD, Motorcycle mount with mounting hardware, power cable/bare wire, replaceable battery, automotive suction cup mount, automotive power cable, USB cable, dashboard disc, quick start manual, and installation instructions

KTMphil said:
Garmin Zumo 550 sells in Thailand for around 39,000 bht

ZUMO_550_48b55557176e3_90x90.jpg

A lot of people like these units a lot, big screen, touch screen.

A few things to consider with these, they are big and clunky, if your dirt riding there will be a lot of vibration however you secure this unit to the bike. Midnight mapper has every conceived Garmin GPS unit and doesn't like to take this one trail riding because of it's weight and size, he seems to favor the Garmin 60 csx.

The touch screens are problematic, i have one friend who has gone through 3 touch screens, every time sending the unit back to Garmin Taiwan who send a replacement unit when out of warranty for about USD$220.

Also, the battery is unique and seems to have a finite life of about 18 months depending on cycling, only a Garmin agent can change it easily.

I can put it few what i have in my 550.

It's 78000KM Old in my bike and NO problem with battery, 1 time touch screen problem, sent to Taiwan cost 100USD via Garmin and those only things what has a problem in the past,,,
It's good for those who wanna see road's, places clear and suitable for eye sight,,,and it's water proof, even high pressure water spraying as mine is all the time on place and it has also drop to ground, Asphalt, concrete and no problems at all,, so i'm lucky with it,, and yes,, it's also OIL Proof,, I actually test it abt 3yrs ago with motor oil,, drop it in when change oil and it SANK, took it out, wash it and it works like no problem...from my eye sight, i need to have large screen so i can really SEE where i have to turn and go... :F and it has taken this kind of behavior a lot......

This is all very nice and good. I just need a basic model, the cheaper the better, that will accept maps input into it like the northern Thailand GPS map sold here: http://www.riderscorner.net/gps_maps_and_products

I assume all the models mentioned in this thread can do that.

Right now the only GPS receiver I have is over 10 years old and only accepts manual input of coordinates. Not the best model but it's been quite useful. Time to upgrade however.

CP - you can buy the Garmin Nuvi 1250 that's on sale for 3,900 bht, that will accept Garmin compatible maps that are on SD cards, It will do everything you need.

The ancient thing you have now makes me think of this :topes

KTMphil said:
CP - you can buy the Garmin Nuvi 1250 that's on sale for 3,900 bht, that will accept Garmin compatible maps that are on SD cards, It will do everything you need.

I gonna get nice "Cup" when GPS start to make some Coffee wile riding.... :DD :kboom

Max - I saw they were auctioning a 60 csx at the moment too, will be interesting to see what that trades for.

Anyone tried those Oregon? It looks like the new generation of outdoor gps, but I'm not convinced about the touch screen.

Phil, any plans of ordering a few from the States?

I could be wrong but I don't think Eagle is actually selling their units for the prices they are advertising.

About 6 months ago, I was in the shop asking about the 60csx they had advertised for 24,000 and the guy gave me their brochure and started crossing out prices and writing in different prices - one of which was 12,000 for the 60csx. Still crazy expensive of course but I wouldn't go by their listed prices without asking first.

Thanks, I'll do that when I'm in Thailand.

Now let me try one of these new-fangled smiley animations. Do you just drag and drop them?

I'll grab the beer-mug smileys and place here... doubt if this works but here goes: posting.php?mode=reply&f=36&t=626#

Now hit Preview...posting.php?mode=reply&f=36&t=626#

Smiley is ON so why not in Preview? WTF? Hey this sucks! YOU SUCK. YEAH YOU. Go on, move this thread to the dungeon see if I care!

Now I'll try the hammer heads hitting each other...
posting.php?mode=reply&f=36&t=626#

Now hit "Submit"...

just click on the icon... :GF :F

Constantine Phaulkon said:

Now let me try one of these new-fangled smiley animations. Do you just drag and drop them?

I'll grab the beer-mug smileys and place here... doubt if this works but here goes: posting.php?mode=reply&f=36&t=626#

Smiley is ON so why not in Preview? WTF? Hey this sucks! YOU SUCK. YEAH YOU. Go on, move this thread to the dungeon see if I care!

Now hit "Submit"...

Constantine Phaulkon said:
Now hit "Submit"...
Hi CP

Sorry your trials of inserting the smilies was so painful, however, now you have suffered the worst, it's all smiles from here on in ;)

If you click on one of the smilies, the software will place a set of code in your post.

:RO

When you are composing your post all you will see are some text codes, in this case : R O but with no spaces.

When you preview or submit the post, the smilie / emoticon will show.

Next time you need to use the same smiley, typing those 3 keys on your keyboard will achieve the same result or you can simply click any smiley and they will get automatically inserted.

Cheers ... or :DD

Ally

Looks like the Garmin 62S DOES have distance to next turn feature. We were setting up Kevin's new 62S today and he stumbled on "distance to next" for the custom field box, its under the "turn" heading.

There is a Garmin 62S on EagleGPS's auctionsite for 17990 baht.
Ends today at 14.15.

I just went and bought a Nuvi 1250 and just asked to see if it was possible if I could buy the 62s on auction for the auction price right here and now. A telephone call later, I was told ok. So go make a deal with them, don't accept the price. However it's advertised in the shop with a sticker and a price of 20.000 baht.

When you consider the shipping cost to Thailand and "potential" import duties 17,990 Bht isnt so bad and it's an awesome piece of equipment.

I've been informed that my Garmin Montana 650 has arrived in Vientiane, Laos, should be great for dirt trail riding, so can't wait to see what its capable of.
It;s built-in 5 mega pixel camera that auto-geotags the cords of the photo will be an awesome function.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75227&ra=true

montana 650 1.jpg

Lightemup said:
There is a Garmin 62S on EagleGPS's auctionsite for 17990 baht.
Ends today at 14.15.

I just went and bought a Nuvi 1250 and just asked to see if it was possible if I could buy the 62s on auction for the auction price right here and now. A telephone call later, I was told ok. So go make a deal with them, don't accept the price. However it's advertised in the shop with a sticker and a price of 20.000 baht.

Lightemup said:
So go make a deal with them, don't accept the price.

The Eagle GPS business model seems to be that a clueless white tourist/expat retiree will walk in the door and pay 300% retail. They know the prices are out of control and if you spend 5 minutes chatting they drop 50%. Before the 62 came out they offered a Garmin 60csx for 12,000 (sticker price 24,000). Still high but comparable to importing yourself and less hassle.

Apart from the Garmin Nuvi 1250 (3,900 bht), the economics of most of what they sell don't make sense.

ThePoMoBro said:
Lightemup said:
So go make a deal with them, don't accept the price.

The Eagle GPS business model seems to be that a clueless white tourist/expat retiree will walk in the door and pay 300% retail. They know the prices are out of control and if you spend 5 minutes chatting they drop 50%. Before the 62 came out they offered a Garmin 60csx for 12,000 (sticker price 24,000). Still high but comparable to importing yourself and less hassle.

Well, this is Thailand and things are not that simple. The Garmin importer (ESRI) is quite restrictive in what shops can and can not sell. I know that Eagle GPS was warned by them that they could not sell any Garmin GPS type not imported and sold by ESRI themselves (ESRI had a limited range of GPS equipment). This happened when Eagle GPS advertised the Garmin Oregon which they had imported themselves from the USA and which was not sold by ESRI Thailand. They were advised to remove the advertisement from their website. In addition, the margin offered by ESRI is not high (about 10-15%). Import taxes are very high so retail prices tend to be high. In practice it is therefor difficult to make a living from it and Eagle GPS has now closed part of the shop and is making do with about 1/3rd of the floor area they had before.

Shops will have to do it the unofficial way by importing the Garmin GPS directly from the US to be able to compete with other shops in Thailand but, by doing that, they risk the wrath of ESRI Thailand who have indicated that they won't sell the GPS maps to GPS shops unless it is for a GPS imported by them.

The only draw back of these larger color screened touch screen models is power consumption.. A mate bought one (against my advice to go for a 60csx or similar) and then emailed me back "is it normal to get 4 - 6 hours battery life" with it having quit on him on a long days use (and IIRC it wasnt AA replaceable batts).

OK if your putting a charge point on the bike then fine, but not easy with fly and rentals etc. A decent couple of days batt life, and the ability to throw in readily available batts, is a huge appeal to a travel GPS for me.

If you do the math, their prices still don't make sense - Use the Garmin 60 csx (probably the best GPS for Thailand) :

Lets start from buying one at retail price in the USA.

So I buy a Garmin 60 csx from Amazon.com - USD $ 259.99

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60C ... B000CSOXTO

60 csx amazon.jpg

I ship it to Thailand, small box, U.S post air say USD $60 (running total now USD $ 319.99)

Thai customs import taxes 20% - use total shipped value ($ 319.99) = $64 (running total now $ 383.99)

ESRI wants to make 20% on their cost of capital - $383.99 - add 20 % = USD $460.76

In Thai Baht cost to a ESRI vendor in Thai Baht should be around USD $460.76 X 30 (USD$ exch rate) = 13, 823 Thai Baht.

Eagle GPS advertise the Garmin 60 csx for sale for 25,300 bht including the 7% sales tax that they will pass on to the Thai government.

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/lan ... egory_id=3

60 csx eagle gps.jpg

If you add back the 7% sales tax - they receive roughly 23,500 bht (not exact)

So from the purchase cost of the Garmin 60 csx from ESRI, the Garmin importer (13,823 Bht ), that is a gross profit mark-up of 70% from cost!

Have I missed anything here?

Lone Rider said:
Well, this is Thailand and things are not that simple. The Garmin importer (ESRI) is quite restrictive in what shops can and can not sell. I know that Eagle GPS was warned by them that they could not sell any Garmin GPS type not imported and sold by ESRI themselves (ESRI had a limited range of GPS equipment). This happened when Eagle GPS advertised the Garmin Oregon which they had imported themselves from the USA and which was not sold by ESRI Thailand. They were advised to remove the advertisement from their website. In addition, the margin offered by ESRI is not high (about 10-15%). Import taxes are very high so retail prices tend to be high. In practice it is therefor difficult to make a living from it and Eagle GPS has now closed part of the shop and is making do with about 1/3rd of the floor area they had before.

Shops will have to do it the unofficial way by importing the Garmin GPS directly from the US to be able to compete with other shops in Thailand but, by doing that, they risk the wrath of ESRI Thailand who have indicated that they won't sell the GPS maps to GPS shops unless it is for a GPS imported by them.

So if you buy a Garmin 60 csx yourself on Amazon.com

file.php

USD $259.99 add $60 U.S post air shipping - fairly good chance a box that size gets through Thai customs with no import duty -

So total cost into Thailand $319.99

Get one of the North Thailand Dirt Track and Tarmac GPS map's on SD card for the Garmin 60 csx unit - 900 Thai baht (USD $30) (link below):

http://www.riderscorner.net/gps_maps_and_products

NorthernThailandGPSMap-300x225.jpg

and you are good to go for north Thailand, total cost - USD $ $349.99 - In Thai Bht = 10, 500 Thai Baht

KTMphil said:
If you do the math, their prices still don't make sense - Use the Garmin 60 csx (probably the best GPS for Thailand) :

Lets start from buying one at retail price in the USA.
So I buy a Garmin 60 csx from Amazon.com - USD $ 259.99

[attachment=1:3v4buq95]60 csx amazon.jpg[/attachment:3v4buq95]

I ship it to Thailand, small box, U.S post air say USD $60 (running total now USD $ 319.99)
Thai customs import taxes 20% - use total shipped value ($ 319.99) = $64 (running total now $ 383.99)
ESRI wants to make 20% on their cost of capital - $383.99 - add 20 % = USD $460.76
In Thai Baht cost to a ESRI vendor in Thai Baht should be around USD $460.76 X 30 (USD$ exch rate) = 13, 823 Thai Baht.

Eagle GPS advertise the Garmin 60 csx for sale for 25,300 bht including the 7% sales tax that they will pass on to the Thai government.
http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/lan ... egory_id=3

[attachment=0:3v4buq95]60 csx eagle gps.jpg[/attachment:3v4buq95]

If you add back the 7% sales tax - they receive roughly 23,500 bht (not exact)
So from the purchase cost of the Garmin 60 csx from ESRI, the Garmin importer (13,823 Bht ), that is a gross profit mark-up of 70% from cost!
Have I missed anything here?

Lone Rider said:

Just to add a bit more info as it is not only Eagle GPS who is quoting these horrendous prices but if you have a look at the websites of other GPS sellers in Thailand like Gadgetrend - http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_handheld.php or GPS4You - http://www.gps4you.net/2009/index.p...com_virtuemart&Itemid=9999&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53 you see the same prices. ESRI Thailand sets the price and that is what the dealers will have to sell it for. ESRI imports a limited range of GPS'es and in Thailand you can buy the 62S but not the 62ST (topo version) unless you import it yourself or ask one of the Garmin dealers to get it for you.

Midnitemapper said:
New Model Montana 650, developing 3-D view for Laos

If you're talking about doing a 3d terrain it shouldn't take them too long, took me about 5 minutes to create a 3d terrain for the northern thailand gps map in Photoshop (based on the open source srtm maps from the nasa http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/).
Of course it needs some tweaking and this is a low res test just for fun:

Attachments

• NorthThailand3d.jpg
    NorthThailand3d.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 845
need map of thailand on sd card for a garmin satnav i got my last one from tec centre in chaing mai
sent a friend for me but said they didnt sell anymore.
does anyone know where to get?

Hey Phil

Is the Garmin Dakota 10 avaiable in Chaing mai yet?

I saw one in Bangkok about 10 days ago. It is suppose yo be compatable to the 62S but sells for only 14,900 baht with no maps. But if you load your maps up on to it, it maybe a cheap alternativeGarminDakota10.jpg

the ram mount system for the bike for th eunit was quoted at 1,850 Baht

Kev - As far as I know that model (Garmin Dakota 10) isn't available in Chiang Mai

LED Kev said:
Hey Phil

Is the Garmin Dakota 10 avaiable in Chaing mai yet?

I saw one in Bangkok about 10 days ago. It is suppose yo be compatable to the 62S but sells for only 14,900 baht with no maps. But if you load your maps up on to it, it maybe a cheap alternative[attachment=0:i7ie47b8]GarminDakota10.jpg[/attachment:i7ie47b8]

the ram mount system for the bike for th eunit was quoted at 1,850 Baht

Back
Top Bottom