Free Garmin OpenStreetMap, GMAPSUPP.IMG and MS/BC installer

I have updated the webpage a bit and if it works the map will update automatically every Thursday. I picked Thursday so the map will be fresh for the weekend ride :-)

I have made some changes to the windows register key for the Windows installer and because of this you will not be prompted to uninstall a map from 2017 or earlier when you run the installer. To uninstall a map from 2017 you run Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder C:/Garmin/Maps/NightRider Map/ and run Uninstall.exe. After you get rid of the map from 2017 the installer will overwrite the old map every time you update as before.
Thank you Lone Rider for making your posts.

http://www.nightrider.info/

Hi Nightrider,

I was using your maps on ZUMO660, Navigator 5 and now on Navigator 6. Unfortunately the 2 last updates in February are not recognized by my N6 anymore. Using a older Version in Basecamp and on the N6 (Aug 2017) instead.
Did you get any feedback from Navigator Users if also others have a problem with the .imp file? The navigator shows nothing and Basecamp tries to read the map if the N6 is connected but it is red and after 2-4 seconds the map and the red bar is not shown in the Basecamp main view any more....

Thanks and Greetings
Andreas

I have the exact same problem as akhzander on both my zumo 590 and montana 610 while as the old version has no problem at all.

Really appreciate your effort and thanks a bunch.

I installed the 2018-02-15 version on my computer in Mapsource and the map shows up both in Mapsource and BaseCamp. However, when I try to install the map on my Garmin 64S I get a message that there is a problem and the map is not installed on the GPS.

I removed some unneccessary files from the .img files. The map now shows up in Basecamp when the GPS is connected to the computer.

LR: The IDs are like that intentional. The reason is that I prepare for making maps for more areas and the maps will have a common family ID but unique map IDs.

I removed some unneccessary files from the .img files. The map now shows up in Basecamp when the GPS is connected to the computer.

LR: The IDs are like that intentional. The reason is that I prepare for making maps for more areas and the maps will have a common family ID but unique map IDs.

Thank you for your effort.
I am in Lao. If I will be back in Bangkok and have my fibre internet I will try it and feed back to you.

Greetings Andreas

Thanks Nightrider,

now the .img file is working with my Navigator 6.

I did several 10.000 kilometres with your map. Thanks for your effort it is really helpful for me.

Greetings Andreas

Just to update this thread, Nightriders map is updated every Thursday and covers pretty much the whole of SE Asia, you can download the map for free here.

SE Asia Map

Something went wrong with the last update. A tile covering Bangkok is lost. I will check and post here again.

I think it is okay now. It seems like it became too much data for each tile. Split into more tiles and the error went away.

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 1250. How do I get these maps onto my device?? I've tried but only see a few roads and the basic roads, no detail.

What maps are on your unit right now ?

Are they called gmapsupp for example.

Ok most likely your unit will only allow files with the names gmapsupp or gmapprom at any one time, download the Nightrider map for older units to your desktop, if the existing file in your map folder in your Garmin is called gmapsupp.img then rename your new desktop file to gmapprom.img or vica versa. Copy and paste your renamed file to your map folder and it should work.

If you use Basecamp i suggest downloading this program for your operating system.

JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa Device Manager

Hook up your unit and close basecamp and run the program, it will scan your device and display your map files, ensure your maps have a basecamp image enabled next to them, close the program and start basecamp, your new map will now be displayed in basecamp.

Any further issues feel free to PM me.

Ok most likely your unit will only allow files with the names gmapsupp or gmapprom at any one time, download the Nightrider map for older units to your desktop, if the existing file in your map folder in your Garmin is called gmapsupp.img then rename your new desktop file to gmapprom.img or vica versa. Copy and paste your renamed file to your map folder and it should work.

If you use Basecamp i suggest downloading this program for your operating system.

Hook up your unit and close basecamp and run the program, it will scan your device and display your map files, ensure your maps have a basecamp image enabled next to them, close the program and start basecamp, your new map will now be displayed in basecamp.

Any further issues feel free to PM me.
Thanks Bob ill give it a go.

Hello guys,
I have an older version of the Garmin Thailand map on my old gps back from 2013.
Yes I know I can buy a new map from Garmin or re sellers, but I thought that I'd ask here first as to the best way for me to go? I'd like to be able to swap the gps unit from my jeep to my bike. Im only really interested in Northern Thailand.
Any advise as to what way I should go?
Thanks

Rider Corner bar and restaurant is now reopened under new owner and management, i'm pretty sure you can buy a Northern Thailand GPS map there.

Just a heads up on OSM: Facebook have let loose an AI on OSM and this has polluted the map with roads that are tracks or driveways in reality. It's so intelligent it even has deleted stuff that I have put in earlier. This has been going on for about a year now: Facebookstreetmap.com / users: Thailand / OpenStreetMap Forum

@Nightrider70: I suggest you either filter out everything, or at least convert to surface=unpaved for any road with these attributes:

import=yes
source=digitalglobe

I hope that the powers that be in OSM will do a mass cleanup, but I'm not hopeful, given the lack of response so far.

Just a reminder Nightriders downloadable SE Asia GPS map is updated every Thursday and can be found here.

Free South-East Asia OpenStreetMap for Garmin GPS

coverage.png

Hi, I have a question regarding JaVaWa Device Manager. It sees my Garmin device, as well as a flash thumb drive (with a Garmin folder in it where I put my maps). However, it doesn't see a virtual drive I have (a virtual image created with macOS' Disk Utility), although BaseCamp does, showing me even the maps in it.

Is there any way I can get JaVaWa recognise a virtual device, as it does with a real USB device? It would be handy to change the map's visibility, name, etc.

The simple answer is the developer of JaVawa has stopped supporting his software since 2016 and the Mac OS has been updated several times since then, i would be thankful the software still works for us since it's totally free.

Hi all.

I am trying to install the OSM maps on my computer so I can use Basecamp without having to plug my unit it. I have downloaded the install file and run it and it appears to have run successfully. However, when I open Basecamp, there is no map shown, just the global map that is preinstalled. The OSM map shows up in MapManager but not in MapInstall. Have I missed something along the way?

I am running an iMac with the latest updates to High Sierra and the latest version of Basecamp.

Thanks

David

David
Your not alone the most recent updates I have the same issue I can install it on my device but not on my mac, you could try downloading from osm.nl in the format you require.

Hi,
New to site and forums. hope it is ok to post here, looking for most up to date info .

Myself and a buddy are coming into Thailand early feb. Renting bikes (crfs) in Chiang Rai and heading off for a month, trying as much dirt as possible in northern Thailand and Northern Laos. Need some advice as we are noobs to the gps navagation thing. How would you navagate if you were us? We are older not super technos, but can probably figure stuff out. We have done cambodia and southern laos with maps me, but offroad tracks are few. Looking at many of these tracks, getting lost seems pretty easy if not using gps.

We have gt riders maps, however as good as they are........ If i were to get a purpose built gps, and download osm, would the potential be there to do some decent navagation for remote offroad track? Or is there anyway to use a phone to do this? And if i did have to purchase a gps, which one without breaking the bank. $600 purpose built bike units are not in the cards.
thanks
Asshat

Asshat,
Firstly welcome to the forum, i am assuming you are getting your bikes from Chiang Rai Big Bike Rental Chiang Rai Big Bike Rentals i would be happy to help you out with tracks and information when you arrive in town.

No need to spend loads of money on an expensive unit Garmin make units to fit all pockets, i would suggest looking at the Nuvi LM range the only issue is the budget models are not water proof. As for maps the latest OSM map from the links in this thread are fine, Riders corner in Chiang Mai offer a Northern Thailand and Laos maps if you're wanting more details as well as more up to date paper maps than the GT maps you referred to.

What dates are you planning to come ?

Asshat,
Firstly welcome to the forum, i am assuming you are getting your bikes from Chiang Rai Big Bike Rental Chiang Rai Big Bike Rentals i would be happy to help you out with tracks and information when you arrive in town.

No need to spend loads of money on an expensive unit Garmin make units to fit all pockets, i would suggest looking at the Nuvi LM range the only issue is the budget models are not water proof. As for maps the latest OSM map from the links in this thread are fine, Riders corner in Chiang Mai offer a Northern Thailand and Laos maps if you're wanting more details as well as more up to date paper maps than the GT maps you referred to.

What dates are you planning to come ?
Bob
Thank you so much for the reply. Forums can be such a hit or miss. Yes CRBB for rental. Brian has been super responsive and helpful. We arrive Bangkok Feb 6, Chiang Mai Feb 8, Chiang Rai, Feb 10. Good info about maps in Chiang Mai. That I will look into. ANY info at all on routes would be amazingly helpful. Nothing like a local contact to ease transition. Endless beers on me. Planning a loop in northern Thailand to get feet wet, get used to that part of the world, then cross over to Lao for a loop. We both have some S.E Asia experience, and have been riding 40 plus years.
Good info on Garmin, i will check into after this post. we have had lousy experience with GPS inconsistency on our other travels. Mapsme has saved our arse.
Again thank you so much for responding,
Look forward to hearing more
Asshat

No problem, we are here to help :giving:

Hi all.

I am using the most current version of the OSM and am in the process of planning a trip that will, unfortunately, take me through Bangkok. On his website, NightRider says "This is a map for motorcyclists and therefore roads that should not be used by motorcyclists are shown as grey un-routable roads." I have looked in detail at roads that should be greyed out, e.g. toll roads, and don't see anything greyed out. Did I miss something lor is there a box I need to check? Everything else seems to be working fine.

I am running the most current version of Basecamp on an iMac running Mojave.

Thanks

David

I have never tried to route through Bangkok but I guess if you have Basecamp set to motorcycle and plan out a start and end route it will automatically route on the roads for motorcycles.

It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. We don't know what Garmin's own NT maps are capable of, besides the things we can see, like junction view, lane assist, 3d buildings, etc. We hobby map makers are restricted to Garmin's old format, reverse engineered by the author of cgpsmapper, the first compiler available for this format.

The old format maps have no concept of motorcycles. That's the reason why nightrider has to compile a map for bikers, where you will get routed over paths and bike bridges, but not motorways. This map will be of limited use to car drivers.

Having said all that, Bob's advice is good: set routing to fastest and see whether it routes you over motorways and big bridges. If it does, there is a problem with the map. If not, you should be good to go.

Hi,

I'm trying out your map right now. Bike routing is enticing! I have successfully installed it into Mapsource, however, when I try to send parts or all of it to my GPS, at about 97% through building the map the process dies and MS offers to send a report home. I tried Mapinstall and it fails at about the same point, without further messages, other than saying it was not successful.

Is this a known problem?

A 2nd question, which affects all Garmin maps made with mkgmap that I have tried: barriers have no effect, you get routed straight thru. Should I raise that with the developers or do they know about it?

I use Basecamp on a Mac, almost every time i open Basecamp i get a report error message, Garmin need to up their game with mapping and routing software.

Another issue that comes up if you plan a route and then send it to your device, quite often when you open it on the device it's corrupted and just shows straight lines, very annoying

Hi all. I just updated to the latest version (2019-03-13) and when I zoom in to a city (in the attached files it is Chiang Mai) the background goes grey. The second image is the same general area from the 2019-02-27 version of the map. Maybe I am getting old but I don't remember that happening in prior versions. Is it an intentional change or something else? I find it much harder to read than the prior version plus many of the smaller roads don't appear.

I'm using the new 64bit version of Basecamp on an iMac.

Any information appreciated.

David

Last edited:
Actually i get the same on my Mac's when you zoom in to distances less than 5km, will message Nightrider to see if there is a bug.

Back
Top Bottom