Free Garmin OpenStreetMap, GMAPSUPP.IMG and MS/BC installer

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I have updated the webpage a bit and if it works the map will update automatically every Thursday. I picked Thursday so the map will be fresh for the weekend ride :-)

I have made some changes to the windows register key for the Windows installer and because of this you will not be prompted to uninstall a map from 2017 or earlier when you run the installer. To uninstall a map from 2017 you run Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder C:/Garmin/Maps/NightRider Map/ and run Uninstall.exe. After you get rid of the map from 2017 the installer will overwrite the old map every time you update as before.
Thank you Lone Rider for making your posts.

http://www.nightrider.info/

akhzander

Bikes
R1200GS LC
Hi Nightrider,

I was using your maps on ZUMO660, Navigator 5 and now on Navigator 6. Unfortunately the 2 last updates in February are not recognized by my N6 anymore. Using a older Version in Basecamp and on the N6 (Aug 2017) instead.
Did you get any feedback from Navigator Users if also others have a problem with the .imp file? The navigator shows nothing and Basecamp tries to read the map if the N6 is connected but it is red and after 2-4 seconds the map and the red bar is not shown in the Basecamp main view any more....

Thanks and Greetings
Andreas

rascal

Bikes
CRF250L CB500X
I have the exact same problem as akhzander on both my zumo 590 and montana 610 while as the old version has no problem at all.

Really appreciate your effort and thanks a bunch.

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
I installed the 2018-02-15 version on my computer in Mapsource and the map shows up both in Mapsource and BaseCamp. However, when I try to install the map on my Garmin 64S I get a message that there is a problem and the map is not installed on the GPS.

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I removed some unneccessary files from the .img files. The map now shows up in Basecamp when the GPS is connected to the computer.

LR: The IDs are like that intentional. The reason is that I prepare for making maps for more areas and the maps will have a common family ID but unique map IDs.

akhzander

Bikes
R1200GS LC
I removed some unneccessary files from the .img files. The map now shows up in Basecamp when the GPS is connected to the computer.

LR: The IDs are like that intentional. The reason is that I prepare for making maps for more areas and the maps will have a common family ID but unique map IDs.
Thank you for your effort.
I am in Lao. If I will be back in Bangkok and have my fibre internet I will try it and feed back to you.

Greetings Andreas

akhzander

Bikes
R1200GS LC

Thanks Nightrider,

now the .img file is working with my Navigator 6.

I did several 10.000 kilometres with your map. Thanks for your effort it is really helpful for me.

Greetings Andreas

bsacbob

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda xr250 Baja
Just to update this thread, Nightriders map is updated every Thursday and covers pretty much the whole of SE Asia, you can download the map for free here.

SE Asia Map

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I think it is okay now. It seems like it became too much data for each tile. Split into more tiles and the error went away.

Bikes
Honda wave efi, Honda shadow ACE
I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 1250. How do I get these maps onto my device?? I've tried but only see a few roads and the basic roads, no detail.

bsacbob

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes
What maps are on your unit right now ?

Are they called gmapsupp for example.

bsacbob

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes
Ok most likely your unit will only allow files with the names gmapsupp or gmapprom at any one time, download the Nightrider map for older units to your desktop, if the existing file in your map folder in your Garmin is called gmapsupp.img then rename your new desktop file to gmapprom.img or vica versa. Copy and paste your renamed file to your map folder and it should work.

If you use Basecamp i suggest downloading this program for your operating system.

JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa Device Manager

Hook up your unit and close basecamp and run the program, it will scan your device and display your map files, ensure your maps have a basecamp image enabled next to them, close the program and start basecamp, your new map will now be displayed in basecamp.

Any further issues feel free to PM me.

Bikes
Honda wave efi, Honda shadow ACE
Ok most likely your unit will only allow files with the names gmapsupp or gmapprom at any one time, download the Nightrider map for older units to your desktop, if the existing file in your map folder in your Garmin is called gmapsupp.img then rename your new desktop file to gmapprom.img or vica versa. Copy and paste your renamed file to your map folder and it should work.

If you use Basecamp i suggest downloading this program for your operating system.

JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa Device Manager

Hook up your unit and close basecamp and run the program, it will scan your device and display your map files, ensure your maps have a basecamp image enabled next to them, close the program and start basecamp, your new map will now be displayed in basecamp.

Any further issues feel free to PM me.
Thanks Bob ill give it a go.

Hello guys,
I have an older version of the Garmin Thailand map on my old gps back from 2013.
Yes I know I can buy a new map from Garmin or re sellers, but I thought that I'd ask here first as to the best way for me to go? I'd like to be able to swap the gps unit from my jeep to my bike. Im only really interested in Northern Thailand.
Any advise as to what way I should go?
Thanks

bsacbob

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes
Rider Corner bar and restaurant is now reopened under new owner and management, i'm pretty sure you can buy a Northern Thailand GPS map there.

T. Khok Chang, A. Doembang Nangbuat, Suphanburi
Bikes
Keeway TXM 200
Just a heads up on OSM: Facebook have let loose an AI on OSM and this has polluted the map with roads that are tracks or driveways in reality. It's so intelligent it even has deleted stuff that I have put in earlier. This has been going on for about a year now: Facebookstreetmap.com / users: Thailand / OpenStreetMap Forum

@Nightrider70: I suggest you either filter out everything, or at least convert to surface=unpaved for any road with these attributes:

import=yes
source=digitalglobe

I hope that the powers that be in OSM will do a mass cleanup, but I'm not hopeful, given the lack of response so far.