Chin State.. Western Myanmar

A German guy took one of my rental bikes up there earlier this year, the bike came back a little weary looking, but the photos were amazing, totally convinced my to go there myself when I get some time off. Went all the way up to the Indian border.
resizednobridge.jpg
No bridge over the river.....

resizedBiking in upper Burma.jpg
All the roads are in excellent condition.
resizedinchinstatevillage.jpg
Pit stop in a small village....everyone gathers to have a look at the mad foreigner.

Jochenattheborder.jpg
At the Myanmar-India border, red side of the bridge is Myanmar, white is India. Intense security everywhere....Haha!

I had been planning a motorcycle tour through Shan State, taking me into several "gray zones" where I might get stopped and turned back. So, whole new game plan... Instead of Shan State, the great motorbike tour is heading west to Chin State! I leave tomorrow.

15941057_10209836635171372_4812437926435487154_n.jpg

I had been planning a motorcycle tour through Shan State, taking me into several "gray zones" where I might get stopped and turned back. So, whole new game plan... Instead of Shan State, the great motorbike tour is heading west to Chin State! I leave tomorrow.

15941057_10209836635171372_4812437926435487154_n.jpg

Did Joko ever return ?

Joko seems to be in the US at the moment so he did return. If you go to his blog and look at his posts of January and February 2017 you will see that he was going to Chin State on 31 January - Myanmar Motorcycle Epic 4: Up to the Chin State!

However, somewhere halfway he decided that 8-9 hours on a small bike on bad roads would be very tough and he decided to change plans - see Myanmar Motorcycle Epic 6: The Monywa Shot

Yes, the road from Kanpetlet to Mindat was so grueling that I got turned back and went back into the Ayeyarwaddy plains. One week from today, I'm heading back! This time, mounted on a CRF 250 as opposed to a Kenbo 125, I will conquer Chin!

This time, mounted on a CRF 250 as opposed to a Kenbo 125, I will conquer Chin!
That certainly seems a far better bike for the job - though maybe parts and tyres might be slightly harder to get, out in the sticks, than bits for the Kenbo. Good luck. Looking forward to your report(s)!

Back
Top Bottom