2012 Honda CRF250L: CBR250R goes dual-sport

I am thinking of buying an off-road bike soon. Ideally I would like something more dirt orientated and with more power. However, this looks like it will be a good starting point for me as I don't have that much proper dirt experience. Can't wait for someone to compare it against the KLX250 to see how it fairs off-road.

I asked my wife to go into one of the Honda dealers in Pattaya yesterday due to me being at work. She was told these will be in the dealers towards the end of this month but not on sale until around 9th April. They will take orders and deposits once the bikes are in the shop. The same dealer told me 112,000 last month, now they are saying between 120,000 and 130,000 but do not know for sure how much.......

Wow, those look amazing with all that bling...Almost makes me miss valves and cams....NOT.

But still a beauty....who's gonna be the first in their "ban" to garage on of those babes?

garethw said:
I asked my wife to go into one of the Honda dealers in Pattaya yesterday due to me being at work. She was told these will be in the dealers towards the end of this month but not on sale until around 9th April. They will take orders and deposits once the bikes are in the shop. The same dealer told me 112,000 last month, now they are saying between 120,000 and 130,000 but do not know for sure how much.......

Do you still have to pay extra for the green book??? or is that included in the price? :DD

Steve Canyon said:
garethw said:

Do you still have to pay extra for the green book??? or is that included in the price? :DD

Will be included, might be a tiny registration fee.

KTMphil said:
Steve Canyon said:
garethw said:

Will be included, might be a tiny registration fee.

Thanks old chap.... :RO

I found this over on another visa forum........The link at the bottom opens up a Honda Australia brochure for the CRF.

here are the specs i got from Honda Australia, though still a bit sketchy on detail.
9kgs heavier than the kwaka KLX250, lower seat height and less ground clearance.

CRF250L specifications

Engine Type 249.6cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke
DOHC 4-valve single cylinder
Bore and Stroke 76mm x56mm
Valve Train DOHC 4-valve

Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Ignition CDl with electronic advance

Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
Starter Electric

Final Drive 520 a-ring chain

Front Suspension 43mm inverted fork
Rear Suspension Pro-link single shock

Front Brake Hydraulic disc
Rear Brake Hydraulic disc

Front Tyre 3.00 x 21 inch
RearTyre 120/80 x 18 inch

Dimensions 2,195mm x 819mm x 1,195mm
Wheelbase 1,445mm
Seat Height 882mm
Ground Clearance 258mm

Fuel Capacity 7.7 litres
Kerb Weight 147kg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... _id=158213

interesting that it comes in 50% more heavy than my ktm 300 exc 2-stroke & 50% less power

garethw said:
I found this over on another visa forum........The link at the bottom opens up a Honda Australia brochure for the CRF.
here are the specs i got from Honda Australia, though still a bit sketchy on detail.
9kgs heavier than the kwaka KLX250, lower seat height and less ground clearance.

CRF250L specifications

Engine Type 249.6cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke
DOHC 4-valve single cylinder
Bore and Stroke 76mm x56mm
Valve Train DOHC 4-valve

Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Ignition CDl with electronic advance

Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
Starter Electric

Final Drive 520 a-ring chain

Front Suspension 43mm inverted fork
Rear Suspension Pro-link single shock

Front Brake Hydraulic disc
Rear Brake Hydraulic disc

Front Tyre 3.00 x 21 inch
RearTyre 120/80 x 18 inch

Dimensions 2,195mm x 819mm x 1,195mm
Wheelbase 1,445mm
Seat Height 882mm
Ground Clearance 258mm

Fuel Capacity 7.7 litres
Kerb Weight 147kg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... _id=158213

FAT PIG. I won't be buying one if those specs are true, very poor ground clearance too.

JB 2112 just stopped by the Honda dealer in Chiang Mai today and they told him they wont have stock of the CRF250L until next month.

I stopped at Honda near Airport Plaza CNX and they told me it would be available next month.
Sorry, nothing more specific than that.

:MJ

I think I read that its debut date was the week of Song Gran.. like 12th or so, and it was then predicted due to the holidays that 16 or 17 was the likely day it would be in show rooms..

Cannot remember where I read that though.

I was reading elsewhere someone had asked at the Honda stand at the motor show and were quoted 140,000 which is only 12,000 less than the KLX, which my wife went and put a deposit down on today, so it will be ready for when I get back home in 10 days.

I really hope that the specs release from the Australian importer are wrong, anyway if it is just as good as the XR 250 I might consider buying one, the weight and horsepower issue could probably be fixed with some tweaking, also the ground clearance could be raised by a couple of cm's. The bike looks good, at least the one with the Mugen kit on. The KLX looks poisonous to me, whereas the CRF looks hot and cooking to me.
Anyway I will have to wait and see....b4 doing any commitment...

Saw it at the Bangkok Motorshow yesterday. The whole thing just felt cheap... and small. When it prices under 150k, we'll know why.

In late March I called in to a CMai Honda dealer and asked the lovely saleslady about the 250L.
Yes, she knew its release was imminent, grabbed her calendar and pointed to the few days immediately after Songkran.

'How much?'
'Do not know that.'

Yesterday, being a few days after Songkran (and having dried out and removed stale water from every orifice), I again called in to the same dealership hoping to see the 250L on show. Nup.

So I sought out the Manager and asked him about a date.
'We don't know that.'

'Do you know how much it will be?'
'We don't know that yet.'

One would think that if it was to be available in the near future a dealership Manager would know.
Maybe he does but is good a poker.
He certainly knows that in the interim he is losing sales to Kawasaki.

My guess?
Mid May and close to 140,000 baht (ie overpriced and a large profit margin).
I also wonder how much the various Honda dealers will vary in price as they do with their PCX150i.

Whatever, I seem to be one of many anxiously awaiting this bike.

Hot off the press:

Official pricing for the Honda CRF 250 L for May 2012 is 138,000 Thai Bht ..... might have mine next week.

I expect a full review and it will be interesting to compare it with the KLX250

KTMphil said:
Hot off the press:

Official pricing for the Honda CRF 250 L for May 2012 is 138,000 Thai Bht ..... might have mine next week.

So much for the 112 K guessed early on

LivinLOS said:
KTMphil said:
Hot off the press:

So much for the 112 K guessed early on

Yes its arriving a lot more expensive than was previously thought

Just got an email from the Honda dealer in Bangkok, he has told me his quota for the Honda CRF 250 L for the month of May 2012 is one bike (mine i hope).

Hope so Phil.
Looking forward to seeing it parked outside Riders Corner soon!

If a Bgk dealership only gets one for May, that doesn't sound too good for the dealers here in Chiang Mai.

From MotorcycleUSA.com

- interesting see that they claim fuel economy is 44km to 1 liter of fuel

This May Honda will begin sales of the new CRF250L it teased at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show. The CRF250L marks Honda’s first new small-bore dual sport since its 2009 CRF230L model. Americans will have to hop a jet to Japan to get their hands on this new 250 though, since Big Red doesn’t indicate when it plans to bring the bike to America. Europe will get the new CRF later this summer.

A liquid-cooled 250cc 4-stroke DOHC (double overhead cam) Single powers the CRF250L. The new bike sources engine architecture identical to the CBR250R entry-level sportbike, including its 76mm bore and 55mm stroke. The 250L press material touts engine features introduced on the CBR250, including low-friction technology and an off-set cylinder. Specs also indicate the 250L puts out close to 23 horsepower with a maximum torque of 16.23 pounds of force per foot.

The new bike features Honda’s standard Programmed Fuel Injection System (PGM-FI) which nets a claimed 100 mpg (albeit measured at a constant 38 mph on a level road). Given its two gallon tank, that’s an impressive 200-mile potential range.

The CRF250L rolls on a steel twin-tube frame and aluminum swingarm. The rolling chassis incorporates an inverted fork and Honda’s Pro-Link rear suspension. Honda promises the new ride’s chassis will be lightweight and rigid enough to ensure the stability. The company claims a curb weight of just over 315 pounds, about 50 pounds more than the 230L but still lighter than the CBR250.
Hondas liquid-cooled 250cc 4-stroke DOHC single-cylinder engine.
The liquid-cooled 250cc engine retains features of Honda's CBR250 model.

Sourcing a street-bike engine, the new Honda gets fashion sense from its CRF kin. The enduro/motocross styling traits are evident in the tank shrouds, side covers and the rear fender. With seat clearance at 34.4 inches, the CRF250L perch rests almost four inches higher than both the CBR250 and CRF230L.

Honda states the CRF250L is targeted toward beginners and experienced riders alike. Honda pitches its new mount under the slogan “New On and Off Gear, your right buddy on the road to make ‘On’ (daily life) more convenient and ‘Off’(weekends) more enjoyable.” A bit of a mouthful, maybe, but a laudable entry-level mount for an industry desperate for new, younger riders.

No pricing is listed, but the CRF250L will be manufactured in its Thai facilities. The same location produces the $3999 CBR250R.

KTMphil said:
From MotorcycleUSA.com

- interesting see that they claim fuel economy is 44km to 1 liter of fuel

.........Honda promises the new ride’s chassis will be lightweight and rigid enough to ensure the stability. The company claims a curb weight of just over 315 pounds.................

Over 315 pounds :eek1 !!!! Holy S__t . I'd sooner buy an older XR anyday given those specs. The seat height is nice though for us midgets.

KTMphil said:
Hot off the press:

Where did you see/hear this "official pricing"? Is it online anywhere?

blakegeee said:
KTMphil said:
Hot off the press:

Where did you see/hear this "official pricing"? Is it online anywhere?

The official pricing is from a message i received from an official Honda dealer in Bangkok, that has a quota of 1 Honda CRF 250 L for the month of May 2012 and has been told by Honda that the retail price of that bike is 138,000 bht.

The Honda CRF 250 L is now officially available in some Honda dealers. I just got this email from a Honda dealer in Bangkok, stating that my Honda CRF 250 L is physically available, should stop all the hear-say:

"Dear Phillip,

now CRF is available at my shop (Bangpakaew branch). Below is a link of map http://mdrivethailand.com/?page_id=1061 (Sorry it is in Thai). If you would like to have further information, please do not hesitate to contact me via this email or my mobile phone 0819203889.

Thank you

Atthapong Sakunsriprasert, Ph.D.
Managing Director, MDrive Business Group
-MDRIVE HONDA Thonburi Co.,Ltd
-Mengyanyont Commercial (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
-Motoaholic Co.,Ltd
-MDRIVE Retial Business Limited Partnesship
-Taksin Logistic Co.,Ltd "

/attachment:2c9o4gij]

crf3.jpg

crf4.jpg

Attachments

• crf1.jpg
    crf1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4,299
  • crf2.jpg
    crf2.jpg