2012 Honda CRF250L: CBR250R goes dual-sport

2 more things that Lan from C & P Service thinks maybe a problem, that were a problem on the XR 250's

1. Lower plastic chain guard will be easy to break if ridden off-road

crf chian guard.jpg

2. Side stand spring doesn't look like a good design and can easily be lost

crf kick stand spring.jpg

Even if you lost the kick stand spring and broke the chain guard once a year (unlikely), it would probably cost 300 baht for the pair. Thats the beauty of a domestic bike here. The parts are cheap! If it were an imported bike, than these things may be a worry since we all know the imported parts are a LOT more expensive! But luckily this isn't imported so these parts are dirt cheap.

I am still looking forward to hearing about this CRF-KLX shootout! I guess all the rain hasn't helped. Phil, what do you think about the power so far? Do you have much experience with a stock KLX to compare it to? I am assuming that the CRF comes with a small back sprocket, and most stock KLXs have atleast had the sprocket replaced with a bigger one. That alone makes the comparison a bit harder. That being said, are you planning on changing it?

Planned on doing a test today at Mark's Chiang Mai Motor Cross track in Mae Rim today against a KLX 250 but it was too wet.

Was told some of the Mae Rim guys had ordered The Honda CRF 250 L in Chiang Mai & there will be a 1 month wait for delivery, so this is the first photo (for a while) of a CRF 250 L thats been sold in Mae Rim.

crf_purple hair.jpg

blakegeee said:
what do you think about the power so far? Do you have much experience with a stock KLX to compare it to? I am assuming that the CRF comes with a small back sprocket, and most stock KLXs have at least had the sprocket replaced with a bigger one. That alone makes the comparison a bit harder. That being said, are you planning on changing it?

Feels just like a stock KLX 250 so far, because its being run in, not sure yet in the higher rpm's if it has something extra. It def. will need a larger rear sprocket if you're trail riding a lot.

Also the coolant expansion tank seems to be in a stupid location, its on the rear RHS just under the plastic. A fall trail riding and the coolant expansion tank could easily be cracked.

The rear shock isn't adjustable either.

For clarification, as with most shocks the pre-load is.

I don't see a tail tidy but I think there is one? Saw a picture fitted to one guys bike here already.

That bungee cord is a must have :)

Has a slip on can as well, looks locally made.

I was wondering about what they look like with black rims, Nice.

SuMo suits it..

Then with 33 bhp engine mods... hmmm...

Lots of Hondas own accessories for it then not long before the aftermarket boys get some more out, this bike will have everything going for it soon

More shots in Motard trim. I think the black and white is photoshopped but looks good.

crf250lmotardforum.jpg

crf250lmotardblackwhite.jpg

Thats appealing..

Also the low clearance would be less an issue, and making the engine peaky with CBR mods, possibly hotter too, less of a drawback..

LivinLOS said:
Thats appealing..

Also the low clearance would be less an issue, and making the engine peaky with CBR mods, possibly hotter too, less of a drawback..

As a motard bike, with all the mods they do to the track-prepared CBR 250's, bringing them up to 34HP, I think this would be an amazing machine. I think the track conversion of Colin's CBR 250 from a standard bike was in the region of 27,000 Bht.

Could probably get dtracker rims from kwaker on the cheap ??

I can't see why not? Any shop would be able to lace them up. I guess the hubs may be different and the spokes need to be a different length?

nikster said:
LivinLOS said:
Could probably get dtracker rims from kwaker on the cheap ??
Are they cheap? How much?

No real idea.. Only that kwaker parts are usually really cheap when in any way compared to getting parts without a supply chain, ordering them, shipping them in, taxes etc..

A set of dirt or motard rims on a DRZ will run you 15 - 20k fairly quickly that way, I bet its nothing like that for d-tracker replacements.

Personally I would be inclined to go all out and have a second set of hubs / bearings / sprocket and bushings / etc also so that your able to do easy fast wheel swaps. But would be cheapest to just get hubs and spokes and relace.

Nae at the Chiang Mai motocross shop can get these exhausts made for the Honda CRF 250 L for 5,500 bht - the full system

7214495656_8b82172fb4_b.jpg

7214495448_50f0a632f0_b.jpg

7214495122_a5ae7cd46d_b.jpg

7214495314_1e455962d0_b.jpg

7214494950_a2ecd7fddb_b.jpg

Took it for a spin today and there's noticeably more acceleration

Nice exhaust, if the are this quick to make the exhaust hopefully more mods will come soon

Who would you recommend in CM to uprage the engine with the 27k mods for racing and do you know what they do to the engine.

Also Phil what time frame warranty did they give you with your bike

wow the exhaust looks good ,however can notice 2 things it looks like its touching or is very close to the water pipe ,and looks like wont really be able to take any one on the back with no protection over the end box anymore which doesnt bother me but the misses has been enjoying the little rideouts lately.
whats the sound like any chance of video dont want anything super loud
sorry make that 3 things no heat shield along the centre part near where your leg is suppose that could be added somehow though

I don't think the water hose will be an issue near the exhaust, the hose has 100 deg. centigrade water going through it

Taninthai said:
wow the exhaust looks good ,however can notice 2 things it looks like its touching or is very close to the water pipe ,and looks like wont really be able to take any one on the back with no protection over the end box anymore which doesnt bother me but the misses has been enjoying the little rideouts lately.
whats the sound like any chance of video dont want anything super loud
sorry make that 3 things no heat shield along the centre part near where your leg is suppose that could be added somehow though

Hmmm. They are going to have to come up with a way to keep the white plastic cover over it. It is a nice looking pipe alright but it needs the plastic bit on so it matches up with the tool box on the other side and offers some protection. A bit strange what Honda have done there, all the other bikes has this plastic built into the main tail section. It's one of the main things I don't like about the bike visually and after initially thinking it may look nice with it removed from both sides looking at it now it needs something there. Plus the fit ot these two pieces is terrible. Maybe the big pipe manufacturers will address this.

Yep before Phil posted pics I was looking at my exhaust yesterday morning and thinking Honda have made it a little difficult as all the plastic and heat shield fixes direct to actual pipe, shouldn't be to bad though you only need to spot weld some threaded nuts onto the correct position on exhaust

Use square brackets not curlys and

{img}http://the.url.of.the.image.goes.here.jpg{/img}

Or use the image button in the editor.

Mmm im trying to use the attach box underneath where you reply to posts Ot just keeps saying cannot attach image guess I'll have to look into it a bit more
Thanks

You do have the image hosted online yeah ??

Yeah I got the renthal bars and grips already from dirtshop the bars look really good with the gold forks also took headlight off and have the front White plate on now , nearly looking like the real thing now
Can't seem to post pics here you can see what the bars look like fitted over on tv

The black plastics on the rear and headlight, the black rims, the addition of carbon bits and tail tidy.. Its looking good.

Now just need to see that with SuMo wheelsets and a 33bhp race prep engine.. And there might be some fun in it.

Yeah, I will definately be hitting up that catalogue when I get mine. Won't be bothered about the red flashy engine bits though. Good to change some of the plastics and keep the stock stuff for when you want to sell it anyway. I wonder what will be available pipe wise to keep the plastic protectors on it? May just have to gut the original one, should lighten it up with the cat gone anyway. I've got Pro Taper fat bars, grips and adaptors all ready to go.

Taninthai said:
Can't seem to post pics here you can see what the bars look like fitted over on tv

There are two way to post pictures. One is where you upload your pictures to a photosharing site like Photobucket, Picasa, Flickr, etc. and you select the
from the photo hosting site and paste it in your post.
Photobucket example.JPG

or you can use the second method where you attach the picture to your post. Upload attachment.JPG

Select at the bottom "Upload attachment" followed by "Choose File" choose a picture stored at your computer and select "Open". The file location will now show next to the button "Choose File". Now you can add a comment and/or click on the button "Attach the file" and after some time (depending on the size of the attachment) the file will show up in the box "File Comment". Put your cursor where you want to have the attachment shown and select the button "Place inline" and that should do the trick

Photobucket example 2.JPG

Looks like it has been released in Japan now, from some dudes blog:

a0267890_11455240.jpg

You may even have your Fan take it out for a spin:

a0267890_1122639.jpg

Some guy fitted an aftermarket exhaust:

Another tried a dfifferent one and also found a solution to the white plastic cover problem!

Back
Top Bottom