The Lily Action Drone

Well it was a thai site that was advertising them for sale. Claimed to be available Feb 2016 around 17 k baht if i read it correctly

Are these banned in Thailand or not?

It was reported that the government was going to introduce legislation to ban them. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been passed yet. Like too much 'news' here, just talk, no consequence.

Are these banned in Thailand or not?

No as best I can work out they have not been.. They said they were going to.. And it got discussed.. And then went quiet.. Tho if you started filming government at work (cops / army / etc) I bet you would still get detained.. Theres still a huge DJI dealer selling them like hotcakes in bangkok.

The issue is, and this is the same worldwide, its very hard to define 'drone' from RC aircraft these days.. Because ultimately the autonomous bit isnt what freaks the privacy side out, its the camera bit, and all manner of normal RC planes and helis carry a camera gimball now. Its very hard to ban 'drones' without banning all RC flying. Most sane countries have introduced rules like a height ceiling, line of sight to aircraft, a max bodyweight for airframe, and no flying over pubic / populated areas..

If you can't fly them over pubic areas, there goes my plans for some new movies...

If you can't fly them over pubic areas, there goes my plans for some new movies...

There's currently no legal 'can't' but I would hope all users exercise some restraint and common sense when using a drone in Thailand and elsewhere, otherwise there will be legal restrictions in place very soon.

in fact if u are outdoor filming yourself or other friends I doubt the cops will notice and/or issue a fine ..

I love your typo btw!haha!
..and no flying over pubic / populated areas.. :drib

any details on the bkk dealer/pricing please ?m heading to Mongolia ,should try bring one of these along ,sure vast trees/cablesless areas to come!

No as best I can work out they have not been.. They said they were going to.. And it got discussed.. And then went quiet.. Tho if you started filming government at work (cops / army / etc) I bet you would still get detained.. Theres still a huge DJI dealer selling them like hotcakes in bangkok.

The issue is, and this is the same worldwide, its very hard to define 'drone' from RC aircraft these days.. Because ultimately the autonomous bit isnt what freaks the privacy side out, its the camera bit, and all manner of normal RC planes and helis carry a camera gimball now. Its very hard to ban 'drones' without banning all RC flying. Most sane countries have introduced rules like a height ceiling, line of sight to aircraft, a max bodyweight for airframe, and no flying over pubic / populated areas..

The projected date for this drone's release is Feb 2016. I would add on a month or two too...

was talking about the phantom 2/3 dealer LivingLOS mentioned..but thinking about it this Lily looks smarter ,smaller and anyway mongolia lack of ac/dc sockets ,a quick research and phantom has 25 min battery then kaput..maybe I just wait and see the *follow me* cam generation coming up

If I recall the lily only has a fly time of 23 minutes but the technology is moving real quick with these things who knows 1 year from now what the market will bring.

Carry a spare battery and charge whilst riding the bike. Well that's the plan once I finally get my hands on the Airdog!

wow this is actually a really cool little thing..and prob what I want! amazing takes off from water as well. too bad is out in 2016!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObDvc1saMr4

PS Craig, I carry 2 extra spare batteries for the Sony action cam :giving:

heads up!! the first version will NOT have interchangeble batteries!! :topes info from their FB page!!

After Lily's fanfare of announcing Feb 2016 delivery, they are now saying delivery will be delayed to "summer 2016". This is what they emailed back to me:

Thanks for reaching out to us. In light of our delay announcement in December (https://www.lily.camera/shipping-fundraising-update/), we've unfortunately made some adjustments to anticipated ship dates. After careful consideration and forecasting, we've realized that in order to accommodate flight control optimization and additional rounds of testing we had to delay our initial pre-order launch. I do sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and delay. We are now currently expecting your order to ship in the Summer of 2016. We are currently looking to schedule the beginning of our summer launch as early as we possibly can between early May and August. We'll be releasing a firm starting date for our launch in the very near future.
You can also keep tabs on our day to day progress (https://www.lily.camera/updates/) and our weekly news updates about our company as a whole (www.lily.camera/blog/). Our blog updates also include employee spotlight articles as well as camera updates. If you would like a full refund for your order in lieu of our delay, I'd be more than happy to help you with that as well. All I would need is the transaction number from your order receipt and a brief confirmation from you that you'd like me to cancel the order. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to me with any questions or feedback you may have.
Cheers,
Devin
Lily Experience

My Airdog was due to ship Nov 2014. I'm still waiting. Orders started to ship then a battery caught fire in Thailand so haulted until new batteries manufactured. As a Kickstarter backer I only paid $1,000USD but retailing now for $1,599USD, which seems too expensive, especially when compared with the new Phantom 4 and its built in 4K camera. From videos I've seen on the Phantom 4 though the auto follow mode would have problems following a motorcycle, even at the speeds I ride! :ride:

Getting lots of promotional, masturbating, emails from Lily drone, but no information on when they will ship, so I emailed them, this is what they emailed back:

(When does summer end?)

Ashley (Lily)
May 9, 09:38
Hello Phil,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are now currently expecting your order to ship in the Summer of 2016. Unfortunately we do not have an exact ship date yet. Please feel free to reach out to us closer to that time for more information regarding your exact ship date. If there is anything else I can do for you, don't hesitate to follow up.

Regards,
Ashley
Lily Experience Team

Still not delivered, new USA FAA rules:

Last week, the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) published new small Unmanned Aerial System (sUAS) operation rules for commercial aircrafts weighing less than 55 pounds. They will take effect August 2016. We want to assure you that none of these new federal rules apply to Lily customers operating the Lily Camera for recreational use, or Lily Camera customers located outside of the U.S.

These new rules require all routine commercial small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle operators in the U.S. to have a remote pilot certificate with an sUAS rating or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate. The operator must also be at least 16 years of age.

TL;DR: If you're planning to capture non-commercial content with your Lily Camera and you've registered with the FAA, you're good. We will do our very best to keep you in the loop on future FAA changes as guidelines evolve.

Still not delivered, new USA FAA rules:

Last week, the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) published new small Unmanned Aerial System (sUAS) operation rules for commercial aircrafts weighing less than 55 pounds. They will take effect August 2016. We want to assure you that none of these new federal rules apply to Lily customers operating the Lily Camera for recreational use, or Lily Camera customers located outside of the U.S.

These new rules require all routine commercial small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle operators in the U.S. to have a remote pilot certificate with an sUAS rating or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate. The operator must also be at least 16 years of age.

TL;DR: If you're planning to capture non-commercial content with your Lily Camera and you've registered with the FAA, you're good. We will do our very best to keep you in the loop on future FAA changes as guidelines evolve.

Phil, I've been fooling around with the DJI P3 for a year now. Based on my limited experience, I was a little sceptical about the Lily, which seems like a very ambitious call after seeing their claims of what it can do, given the intricacies of producing a drone like the P3.
Especially at the price they plan to sell it for. I am not at all surprised if their delivery time slips even further.
A light, robust, waterproof autonomous Drone with multi-axis gimbal that works as advertised in their advert is a dream machine, and may remain a dream machine for a long time.
The DJI guys seems like they are far ahead, and if a little start-up can make the Lily, it's inconceivable the DJI guys cannot match the Lily with the current resources and RnD at hand.

Nevertheless, if the Lily does indeed work as advertised, I will join you in a heartbeat.

I know someone close to Lily, they say that they've got problems with the algorithms controlling the drone, thats why no delivery yet.

Phil, I've been fooling around with the DJI P3 for a year now. Based on my limited experience, I was a little sceptical about the Lily, which seems like a very ambitious call after seeing their claims of what it can do, given the intricacies of producing a drone like the P3.
Especially at the price they plan to sell it for. I am not at all surprised if their delivery time slips even further.
A light, robust, waterproof autonomous Drone with multi-axis gimbal that works as advertised in their advert is a dream machine, and may remain a dream machine for a long time.
The DJI guys seems like they are far ahead, and if a little start-up can make the Lily, it's inconceivable the DJI guys cannot match the Lily with the current resources and RnD at hand.

Nevertheless, if the Lily does indeed work as advertised, I will join you in a heartbeat.

Looks like the Lily Drone's will be shipping 7 months late:

All United States pre-orders will ship between December 2016 and January 2017. Pre-orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they were placed. Due to regulatory and logistical constraints, international pre-orders will start shipping later in 2017. We will be sharing a more detailed rollout plan in the coming weeks. In the meantime, your pre-order dollars will continue to remain untouched. Here is our manufacturing plan:

Back
Top Bottom