Thai roadbuilding program - Hwy 1026 - I just dont get it !

Russ McDermid

Bikes
Honda Transalp XL700VA in the UK, and a CRF250L & V-strom in Thai.
I guess many of you have ridden to Pai, and thought if there was ever a road that needed resurfacing, this is it .... and then you figure the road maintenance budget had probably been spent.

So then one day, I'm riding south of Nan, on what was the Hwy 1339, heading for a small fishing village on the banks of the Queen Sirikit reservoir. This is essentially a dead end road (albeit with the option of a ferry crossing if u request it).
I turn left after Na Muen, and the road quickly deteriorates ... all to be expected.

Then, after about 2 km ... its like God has spoken and created a road just for motorcyclists ... Its been re-classified as Hwy 1026, and its nearly 20km of virgin tarmac, with no traffic.
My photos just don't do it justice.

screenshot02.jpg

Oh, for a road bike and not the CRF..
WP_001546.jpg

WP_001544.jpg

The ferry at the end..
WP_001560.jpg

So, why here, and not the road to Pai .... OK, politics, I guess. Anyway, if you can incorporate it into a ride, its well worth it.

The road south of the reservoir is not so new, but still in relatively good condition. The ferry is a mere 100 Bht ... finding the "Captain" is a bit more of a problem, but usually one of the scruffy urchins running about will help.

Russ.

Budgets come and go.. Decentralized control per amphur and changwat.. Spend em while they have em..

Also that Rd to Pai, with the volume of mini bus traffic and the topography.. No wonder it crumbles..

So they have finally widened and resurfaced the entire bit from Na Muen to Pak Nai, over the years I have seen it gradually happen

Back
Top Bottom