NEPAL TO THAILAND AIR CARGO - FIRST WORLD REAL NEWS/FACTS?

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
In years past (even pre-Covid), this month (October), and the following 3-4, were the high season for overlander motorcyclists to air freight their crated motorcycles from Kathmandu, Nepal to Bangkok, Thailand if traveling from west to east.

Of course, times have changed radically - saw one recent unsubstantiated post claiming a well known Kathmandu air cargo freight forwarded/shipping company quoting a $6,000 + USD price this month in response to an inquiry...and that did not include the on-the-ground costs upon arrival at Bangkok Customs to to get the motorcycle uncrated (crate disposed), cleared and on the road outside of the airport.

?: Has anyone heard/read from a reliable source of any motorcycle being freighted via air cargo from Kathmandu to Bangkok in the last month?

?: Still needed prior to arrival in Bangkok 1: Approved government itinerary and 2: Guide to meet and clear the motorcycle at Customs?

?: Government licensed Thai guide still needed for legal travel by a foreigner through Thailand if arriving from out-of-country with a foreign plated/papered motorcycle?

RIDE ASIA forum could be the global Internet "first" with some hard facts, not trolls and their opinions - this has not been cross posted elsewhere.

I was recently sent to one posted "suggestion" on a motorcycle travel forum that the inquiring traveler could try an inquiry to Thai Airlines, that they were at one time (maybe pre-Internet LOL ) flying motorcycles from Kathmandu.

PM me if you have a serious lead/fact you don't want to disclose here in public.

Dr. G
Professor of Motorcycle Adventure, SOUND RIDER magazine, and Adventure Motorcycle University
Moto-Journalist, author, script consultant, and motorcycle wastrel
Sole sexual survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerally.com

Last edited:
I have been told there is no wide body planes flying the route Katmandu to Bangkok nowadays. So airfreght is thus not possible for the moment on that stretch.

This is not what you asked for but it might be useful as an alternative: There was a guy/motorbike traveller that posted last night in a Suzuki V-Strom group on Facebook that he just shipped his bike from Katmandu to Kuala Lumpur for the cost of 1536 Euros.

The mans name is Svenn Kalbhenn and here is what he wrote last night:
«The company is "Eagle Export". He is very friendly and helpful. I can highly recomend it.
In total I payed 196.000 NPR (=1536 EUR) for 386kg (lagguage and box included).

http://eagleexportcargo.com»

About guides needed for entering and travelling through Thailand post Covid - From postings on different forums and FB-groups it seems that guide thing is now post Covid very relaxed. I havent seen anyone mentioned the need of a guide. But its maybe too early to jump to conclusions about that matter….

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom