Thai rental bike into either Laos or Cambodia ???

rhiekel

I wish to take a rental bike into Laos and Cambodia. I know it can be done,
just am not sure exactly what paperwork is needed. It is of course in essence
a permission letter from the owner of the bike allowing it to enter another country
with a rider that is not the owner. Does anybody know which papers are needed?
Thanks.

I wish to take a rental bike into Laos and Cambodia. I know it can be done,
just am not sure exactly what paperwork is needed. It is of course in essence
a permission letter from the owner of the bike allowing it to enter another country
with a rider that is not the owner. Does anybody know which papers are needed?
Thanks.

Robert - the requirements and a download link of the forms required as well as a sample of the "Letter of Authorization" form needed is here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...bike-border-crossings-bike-not-your-name.html

Robert - the requirements and a download link of the forms required as well as a sample of the "Letter of Authorization" form needed is here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...bike-border-crossings-bike-not-your-name.html

Auke, you are DA MAN !!! I tried to do a search but nothing applicable
came up. Thanks again. On the tax stamps, what is the most logical place
to get them ? Government office is a wide ranging term..... Post office ?
Immigration ? Land transport office ?

Best place to buy the stamps is a government office like a tax office, administrative offices, etc. I guess that any office where official transactions (sale/buying) are registered should have the stamps. If I remember correctly Phil got his at the Chiangmai Provincial Administrative Office on the Mae Rim road where the middle ring road (Rd. 3029) joins Rd 107. The Post Office does not have them nor has immigration.

Hi Auke:
Am now getting a bit confused. I went to the land transport office here in Pattaya. They did not know
what to do about correct forms, nor could they issue the tax stamps. They told me to go to Bangkok
as that is where the bike is registered, which of course makes no sense at all. Guess it is more of a
customs issue rather than a transport issue. On the page with the downloadable forms, the blank Letter
of Authorisation form does not match up at all with the form by the Bangkok Riders club which shows
a different form in Thai with English explanations for each blank line. Hmmmmm.
I did speak to Joe at Joe's Bike Team. He said that there is not really a special form, he just writes up
a document clearly stating he is the owner, and the party renting the bike has permission to take the bike
out of the country. And of course have all the correct information on it, as well as copies of the owner's passport.

Hi Auke:
Am now getting a bit confused. I went to the land transport office here in Pattaya. They did not know
what to do about correct forms, nor could they issue the tax stamps. They told me to go to Bangkok
as that is where the bike is registered, which of course makes no sense at all. Guess it is more of a
customs issue rather than a transport issue. On the page with the downloadable forms, the blank Letter
of Authorisation form does not match up at all with the form by the Bangkok Riders club which shows
a different form in Thai with English explanations for each blank line. Hmmmmm.
I did speak to Joe at Joe's Bike Team. He said that there is not really a special form, he just writes up
a document clearly stating he is the owner, and the party renting the bike has permission to take the bike
out of the country. And of course have all the correct information on it, as well as copies of the owner's passport.

Yes, there are several forms floating around and all can be used. The blank form available for download is a generic one from a Thai Government office and I used it several times without problems. It basically is similar to what Joe also does - just a form which states that the owner of the bike allows the renter to take the bike out of the country of course with all the right engine/frame/etc. numbers and copies of passport, etc.

Back
Top Bottom