Temporary Import of Thai Bike to Laos

AlexUSA

Bikes
XR280R, Dash 125 (supercup) , DT125
Planning to ride my DT125 into Laos at Chiang Khong and cross back into Thailand at Nong Khai. The bike is registered to a Thai friend and legal with a plate but road tax is expired.

1. Can I ride the bike Southbound into Nong Khai from Laos or do I have to put it on a truck over the Friendship Bridge?

2. Should I reinstate the long-expired road tax (will be a hassle since expired for a long time) or are they not worrying about this at Chiang Khong?

3. What if I want to stay in Laos with the bike for more than the usual 14 day temporary import period?

AlexUSA said:
Planning to ride my DT125 into Laos at Chiang Khong and cross back into Thailand at Nong Khai. The bike is registered to a Thai friend and legal with a plate but road tax is expired.

1. Can I ride the bike Southbound into Nong Khai from Laos or do I have to put it on a truck over the Friendship Bridge?

2. Should I reinstate the long-expired road tax (will be a hassle since expired for a long time) or are they not worrying about this at Chiang Khong?

3. What if I want to stay in Laos with the bike for more than the usual 14 day temporary import period?

Make sure that you have written approval of the owner (your Thai friend) to take the bike out of the country as without approval you are not allowed to take the bike out of the country.

1. The latest experience of other riders seems to confirm that it is possible to ride your bike over the bridge but you are never 100% sure.

2. During all my crossings they have never looked at the tax issue but then again, as I need to have an ITP for my truck which you can only get if you have paid the tax, they probably assume that the tax is paid. Not sure if they look at the tax issue with bikes but have not heard from people that they had problems with it.

3. The period that you can keep the bike in Laos varies. Nongkhai/Vieniane normally gives 7 days but you can ask for a longer period and this has never been a problem. Other border crossing often give 30 days - best is to ask for 30 days on the Lao side. It is possible to extend the import period within Laos but you will have to go to the customs office and this takes some time so better ask for a longer period when you enter Laos.

Southbound never normally an issue

There is a chance, if they check the back of your green book, that they will not let the bike out of Thailand without the tax up-to-date, highly recommend you make the tax valid.

You will have to take the bike across the border into Thailand and it will mean getting another Laos visa when you re-enter Laos.

Also if as you say its VERY out of date.. I believe that once its 3 years out of date you cant back pay it.

A buddy had a bike in an ex missus name, and she had the book from him.. So he kept on riding it and just ignored the issue.. When he finally years later got the book, the period had gone too long and they told him he couldnt pay it and the bike would not be sold on that plate. That was Phuket tho and they are hard to work with sometimes.

LivinLOS said:
Also if as you say its VERY out of date.. I believe that once its 3 years out of date you cant back pay it.

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of these sorts of situations I think.

Are Laos police giving people any trouble about helmets these days? Last year I remember it was only being enforced in Vientane. This still the case?

AlexUSA said:
LivinLOS said:

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of these sorts of situations I think.

Are Laos police giving people any trouble about helmets these days? Last year I remember it was only being enforced in Vientane. This still the case?

Helmets is enforced in Vientiane.

We might be able to find someone to "push" your registration renewal through if you're interested.

KTMphil said:
We might be able to find someone to "push" your registration renewal through if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, Phil. Will try to sort it myself first.

AlexUSA said:

It is compulsory in the whole country and the cops are quite active around special days like Pii Mai (Thai Songkran) so better use a lid all of the time (anyway its is safer).

Back
Top Bottom