Temporary exporting YOUR Thai registered motorcycle out of Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
When you want to leave Thailand with a Thai registered motorcycle, that is registered in YOUR name, at the Thai border exit, for Thai Immigration, you will need to fill out TWO copies of the TM2 forms. One is kept by Immigration and the other copy is given back which you (when you return to Thailand, Thai Immigration will want you to surrender the second TM2 form). The blank, Thai Immigration "TM" forms can be downloaded free at the below link:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...der-blank-crossing-documents-tm2-tm3-tm4.html

Also, when you are leaving Thailand, Thai Customs will either require your motorcycle registration book (or copy) or the completed TM2 form (as it has all the engine/frame/chassis numbers), to prepare the Thai Customs Temporary Export Document for YOUR Thai registered motorcycle. The temporary export document issued by Thai Customs is usually valid for 30 days.

These two documents you will need to keep with you (TM2 and the Temporary Export Document) and the copy of the TM 2 is returned to Thai Immigration when you enter back into Thailand while Customs wants to have the Temporary Export Document back.

8609531368_efe75aa372_b.jpg

It is advisable when exiting Laos to get Laos Immigration stamp the Thai TM2 Thai Immigration form in addition to your passport, there have been instances at the Muan Nguen, Laos/ Huay Khon, Nan, Thailand border crossing, where rider's have been sent back by the Laos Army at the final gate to the Laos Immigration office becuase there was no Laos Immigration exit stamp on the Thai Immigration TM2 form. This last part seems to be "discretionary" by the Laos Army.

Do You know if I can get this temporary ecport licence for like 3 months ?

Do You know if I can get this temporary ecport licence for like 3 months ?

They seem to be getting very strict on only granting one month temporary export out of Thailand. If you can provide written documentation of a plausible reason, you might be able to get 3 months on exit.

I have never been given a temporary export out of Thailand either when going into Malaysia or the one time I rode into Cambodia. Is it only certain border crossings that do it?

I have never been given a temporary export out of Thailand either when going into Malaysia or the one time I rode into Cambodia. Is it only certain border crossings that do it?

Also agree on the malay side of the country it seems open.. I have breezed through Sadao doing only passport stuff many times.

Didnt know you could get out on the cambo side without it tho, every time I crossed down there had to do it.

What is interesting is in the past, the fines for outbound overstay were / are the same as inbound (with a non Thai bike) overstay. So if they gave you 30 days and you were away 2 months, you just paid the 1000b fine on return. Now they have jacked the overstay fines to 1000b a day, do they really expect every bike explorer to do every trip in only 30 days ?? And will they try to ask multi 1000b on return, the same as those inside the country ??

Thats a bit greedy.

What is interesting is in the past, the fines for outbound overstay were / are the same as inbound (with a non Thai bike) overstay. So if they gave you 30 days and you were away 2 months, you just paid the 1000b fine on return. Now they have jacked the overstay fines to 1000b a day, do they really expect every bike explorer to do every trip in only 30 days ?? And will they try to ask multi 1000b on return, the same as those inside the country ??

Thats a bit greedy.

Yes, the overstay fine is 1000 Baht a day but with a maximum (at least in Chiangkhong) of 10,000 Baht

IMG_8342.jpg

In Huai Kon (Muang Nguen) also

You took a Thai bike out through there ??

Saying a vehicle can not leave the country for more than 30 days is mildly ridiculous.

no, I kind of had it explained by the customs guy there.
if I took a thai bike into laos, I can ride it to cambodia if I want, but if it's not back in thailand in 30 days, then it's 1000bt/day overstay, max 10000bt

Thats just daft.. I can see they want to make this bike overstay thing more painful.. But the idea of not being allowed out for longer.. As opposed to in..

Thanks for all information here.
Im planning to drive from Thailand to Malaysia on my own motorcycle (with Thai numberplates). What I understand is that I must have my Green Book translated to English before entering Malaysia. I asked the Land Transport office in Prachuap Khirikhan about this translation, but they didnt want to help me with it. They said I could do this in Sadao instead. I dont even know if there is a Land Transport office in Sadao.

Does anybody know in what Land Transport office I can have this translation made?

Mine have always been done in Satun

Thanks, then I try doing it in Satun.
I found the Transportoffice there in my GPS. Which border crossing to Malaysia do You recommend? I´ve never been to Malaysia before and Im heading to Penang for a start.

What about money exchange, where is it best to do?

I cross at Duan Dok/Wang Kalian which is the closest one from Satun through the Thaliban NP.

You will also need your number plate translated into English and a sticker of this displayed on your bike, also your driving licence needs to be in English, the latest ASEAN Thai ones are okay.

The Bangkok Bank in Satun will change the currency. I believe on the other side of the road there was a place that would exchange as well

At the border there is a small shop at N06.69730 E100.17719 and the girl there translates my plate into English and makes me a sticker up.
I ask her about insurance and she does it here for 1000 Baht for a month.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/captain-slash-reports-thailand/5059-satun-9-2-2014-a.html

Thanks a lot for all information and the link Captain_Slash. Its helpful and makes the trip planning easier.

This seems more than DAFT.... why would Thai customs care how long one leaves the country on a motorbike? Anyone know the latest on this temporary export time limitation? I'm planning on going out for 3 months!

This seems more than DAFT.... why would Thai customs care how long one leaves the country on a motorbike? Anyone know the latest on this temporary export time limitation? I'm planning on going out for 3 months!

Yes, that is a weird rule but for as far as I know it is still on the books. However, it is possible to extend or get a longer period of 30 days (up to a maximum of 6 months) but I don't know if you have to do this beforehand or can do that at the border. Best is to contact the customs people in your province or call their Customs Call/Care Center" at 1164 or email them at 1164@customs.go.th

Additional phone numbers of the Customs Department, etc. can be found here: Customs English

Thanks Lone Rider for all that good info. Ill be at the OSmach crossing in 1 hr... will find out what BS is at work... and will report back when I can.

OK here's an update on my crossing into Cambodia today with a Thai-registered 200cc bike registered in my name. I choose the OSmach crossing based on positive feedback from others. On the Thai side I had 3 stops: 1st the customs house where an export permit was created. This did not ask for any photocopies... just my passport and my green owner's book. They were going to default to 1 month when I said I needed 3 months. They asked why and I told them I was visiting Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. I also told them that the Customs folks in Bangkok told me that 3 months was ok, provided I requested it. This caused a moment of pause and then they proceeded to issue a permit valid for 6 months! Stop 2 was Thai emigration, and stop 3 was Thai Customs Inspection. In step 3 they took a short look inside one of my side saddles, and chit chatted about various things... I think to judge how genuine my story was.

Onto the Cambodians. Stop 1 was to get a Tourist Visa... they wanted 1 photo and either $35 or 1200 baht... preferring baht so that they can pocket the different after official exchange rates are applied. Stop 2 was actual immigration, where they poured over my very busy passport, and asked where I was going in Cambodia. After some deliberation (topic unknown), they stamped me in. I asked about my bike and customs, they shrugged and said no need. After driving away, about 800m down the road there was an inspection stop. The inspector said there was something wrong with my stamp... and sent me back for some other stamp. Upon my return to stop 3, I was questioned whether I had visited the Cambodian Customs. I told him that I was told this was not necessary... and that was accepted. Whether it was a genuine effort to check that I had everything I need, or a half-hearted attempt to work some cash into the exit... I am not sure.

I'm now in Cambodia. I have a gut feeling that when I exit, some customs guy will ask for some temporary import document... which I won't have. This will likely either be shrugged off, or used to apply some fine to me. Provided the fine is not too big, that's ok with me.... better than the complications of visiting the Customs folks upon entering. It is my intent to exit from a different crossing, so visiting Cambodian Customs ran the risk of being told something I didn't want to hear... like having to return to the same port of entry... or not being allowed 30 days... or not being allowed in at all... or any other square-headed complication.

So the only unknown in the entire exchange is whether one should visit Cambodian Customs on one's own accord. I guess I find out the answer to that question when I exit. I plan to enter Laos from Cambodia, where I've heard that bikers have been turned back trying to cross into Cambodia from Laos without a carnet. So that should be interesting... I'm hoping I can just breeze thru emigration and move onto the Laos folks quickly.

OK here's an update on my crossing into Cambodia today with a Thai-registered 200cc bike registered in my name. I choose the OSmach crossing based on positive feedback from others. On the Thai side I had 3 stops: 1st the customs house where an export permit was created. This did not ask for any photocopies... just my passport and my green owner's book. They were going to default to 1 month when I said I needed 3 months. They asked why and I told them I was visiting Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. I also told them that the Customs folks in Bangkok told me that 3 months was ok, provided I requested it. This caused a moment of pause and then they proceeded to issue a permit valid for 6 months! Stop 2 was Thai emigration, and stop 3 was Thai Customs Inspection. In step 3 they took a short look inside one of my side saddles, and chit chatted about various things... I think to judge how genuine my story was.

Thanks for the confirmation that the Thai customs people at the border crossings can give a temporary export permit for longer than 30 days and that you don't need written approval from Customs in Bangkok.

They were going to default to 1 month when I said I needed 3 months. They asked why and I told them I was visiting Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. I also told them that the Customs folks in Bangkok told me that 3 months was ok, provided I requested it. This caused a moment of pause and then they proceeded to issue a permit valid for 6 months!

Thats superb.. first report I have seen of them giving that..

I'm now in Cambodia. I have a gut feeling that when I exit, some customs guy will ask for some temporary import document... which I won't have. This will likely either be shrugged off, or used to apply some fine to me. Provided the fine is not too big, that's ok with me.... better than the complications of visiting the Customs folks upon entering. It is my intent to exit from a different crossing, so visiting Cambodian Customs ran the risk of being told something I didn't want to hear... like having to return to the same port of entry... or not being allowed 30 days... or not being allowed in at all... or any other square-headed complication.

So the only unknown in the entire exchange is whether one should visit Cambodian Customs on one's own accord. I guess I find out the answer to that question when I exit. I plan to enter Laos from Cambodia, where I've heard that bikers have been turned back trying to cross into Cambodia from Laos without a carnet. So that should be interesting... I'm hoping I can just breeze thru emigration and move onto the Laos folks quickly.

NEVER visit cambodian customs of your own accord.. They will tell you you cant.. you must pay.. other lies and fabrications.

There is no paperwork tracking system (that I or anyone else has ever posted or shown) that marks you in or out.. One customs office on the Laos border, who was asleep in his h@mmock. Wrote out on the 'general customs declaration form', the same form you would fill in as an 'anything to declare' at the airport, and wrote 'motorcycle' and a 5000 value.. That was in turn never needed or asked for. Thats one time at one place out of maybe 10 crossings.

The fact there is no system doesnt stop cambodian customs, or police, or anyone with a badge, trying it on for any issue.. Keep your headlight off or covered, keep a throwaway disposable license close by, and if at all possible just dont stop.. Cambodian police are used to everyone just ignoring them and are happy to just catch the ones that stop, they never give chase or anything.

Just an update on border crossings during my SE Asia adventure. Crossing out of Cambodia into Laos was interesting. Taking LivinLOS's advice, I again went right past Customs. On the Laos side, they were puzzled that I did not have Cambodia Customs paperwork. I told them "nothing in, nothing out." They fumbled on this for a while and then proceeded to process my paperwork for a $5 fee. Note that having the bike's registration translated into English by the Thai DOT was very important. I also showed an IDP and that seemed to help too. Note that no 3rd party Liability Insurance was available for purchase at the Cambodian/Laos crossing.... so i'm riding without it.

Strongly advise you get some insurance at the earliest opportunity, it's cheap and could save you a lot of heartache.

Hi Bob

I imagine you're referring to 3rd Party Liability Insurance... any idea where this is purchased? I tried hard at the border crossing but just got nowhere. I'm in Pakse and will pass thru all the main towns in south and central Laos. I know its cheap... but where to get it is the question!

Thanks for your concern.

You should be able to get insurance in all major towns, ask the owner of your GH or look out for signs displaying AIG or LVI

Thanks

I just found an LVI just around the corner in Pakse. I appreciate you reminding me of this.... because I hadn't forgotten about it.

The compulsory coverage costs about $3 to $4 per week, and the top tier coverage cost about double.

Does anybody know how to get a temporary export permit if you want to ship a Thai registered bike out of Thailand?

Just an update on border crossings during my SE Asia adventure. Crossing out of Cambodia into Laos was interesting. Taking LivinLOS's advice, I again went right past Customs. On the Laos side, they were puzzled that I did not have Cambodia Customs paperwork. I told them "nothing in, nothing out." They fumbled on this for a while and then proceeded to process my paperwork for a $5 fee. Note that having the bike's registration translated into English by the Thai DOT was very important. I also showed an IDP and that seemed to help too. Note that no 3rd party Liability Insurance was available for purchase at the Cambodian/Laos crossing.... so i'm riding without it.

Hi DJ Knox,

I have crossed 2 times the border to Laos but with a Singapore registered BMW. I did not need anything but only the register document from the singaporian Land Transport Authorithy (LTA). Now (in 20 days) I am planing to go to Laos with my new BMW registered in Thailand. I have a green book translation from my January trip to Malaysia (1 year valid). What is Thai DOT? And what is IDP? I own a German Passport, a German Driving Licence and an international Driving Licence...

Thanks for clarification.

Greetings Andreas

www.akhzander.de

Hi DJ Knox,

I have crossed 2 times the border to Laos but with a Singapore registered BMW. I did not need anything but only the register document from the singaporian Land Transport Authorithy (LTA). Now (in 20 days) I am planing to go to Laos with my new BMW registered in Thailand. I have a green book translation from my January trip to Malaysia (1 year valid). What is Thai DOT? And what is IDP? I own a German Passport, a German Driving Licence and an international Driving Licence...

Thanks for clarification.

Greetings Andreas

www.akhzander.de

DOT - Department of Transport
IDP - International Driving Permit (often referred to as an International driving licence)

I've taken my Thai registered bike into Laos a number of times at Thai/Lao border points and have never been asked to produce an English translation of anything.

IDP - International Driving Permit (often referred to as an International driving licence)

I've taken my Thai registered bike into Laos a number of times at Thai/Lao border points and have never been asked to produce an English translation of anything.

Thanks Craig,

if I understand it right my Passport, my green book and my German and international Driving Licence should be good enough for entering Lao with my Thai Bike.
But if I remember right they want to have 3 copies of all this papers. What about the Documents KTM Phil put online TM2, TM3 and TM4 I do not remember that I needed them.

Greetings Andreas

Note that Laos insurance can be purchased from Viet-Laos Insurance in any Laos city... cheap and highly recommended...

Note that Laos insurance can be purchased from Viet-Laos Insurance in any Laos city... cheap and highly recommended...

Yes that I had to do for my Singaporean registered Bike as well because the Singaporean Insurance covered Malaysia only. Funny this Asian Countries have even not with their direct neighbours agreements in place for motor tourists.....like Europe 1950....

Greetings Andreas

footer.jpg

Thanks Craig,

if I understand it right my Passport, my green book and my German and international Driving Licence should be good enough for entering Lao with my Thai Bike.
But if I remember right they want to have 3 copies of all this papers. What about the Documents KTM Phil put online TM2, TM3 and TM4 I do not remember that I needed them.

Greetings Andreas

Yes 3 copies Andreas. I don't know the names of the forms but I believe these are for those taking bikes out of the country when the green book is in a third party's name. Never shown or been asked for my Thai license but obviously I have it with me. I've read it's valid in Laos too but have also read that that's only for Thais :S

At the crossings I've used over the past few years, insurance, offered by several companies, is offered at the border itself.

Yes 3 copies Andreas. I don't know the names of the forms but I believe these are for those taking bikes out of the country when the green book is in a third party's name. Never shown or been asked for my Thai license but obviously I have it with me. I've read it's valid in Laos too but have also read that that's only for Thais :S

At the crossings I've used over the past few years, insurance, offered by several companies, is offered at the border itself.

Okay Craig, thanks. The insurance office direct at the border I still remember and for sure I will buy an insurance....you never know what will happen....

Hopefully the weather will be still okay end of May....my friend on Samui has a little Resort and can make it only in the low season.....

Greetings Andreas

Thanks Craig,

Greetings Andreas

When I cross the border (leaving Thailand) with my Thai registered truck I need to fill in the TM2 form in duplicate with 1 copy retained by Immigration and 1 copy stamped by customs and which is used to prepare the Temporary Export Document. Sometimes the Customs/Immigration people fill in these forms for you and often they will charge you for the "work" done. This copy with the Temporary Export Document needs to be returned to customs when you get back into Thailand with your vehicle.

The TM3 and TM 4 are the Crew and the Passenger List which are retained by the Immigration. I have no idea what they do with these forms.

When I cross the border (leaving Thailand) with my Thai registered truck I need to fill in the TM2 form in duplicate with 1 copy retained by Immigration and 1 copy stamped by customs and which is used to prepare the Temporary Export Document. Sometimes the Customs/Immigration people fill in these forms for you and often they will charge you for the "work" done. This copy with the Temporary Export Document needs to be returned to customs when you get back into Thailand with your vehicle.

The TM3 and TM 4 are the Crew and the Passenger List which are retained by the Immigration. I have no idea what they do with these forms.

Thanks for explanation.

Greetings Andreas

Cheers all,

Reading all valuable info on exporting a Thai registered motorbike out of Thailand but still did not find the exact information I am looking for.

My motorbike is registered on MY name when purchased, BUT...I did not find any information about crossing the border when the bike is not paid off completely (still having loan from the bank), therefore there is no Green Book, nor a copy of it to present. I have the purchasing contract, service book, Thai insurance card and Bank contract on my name but not the book.

Is it still possible to cross the border to Malaysia for few days and back? Anyone experienced it and what kind of documents I have to present instead?
Somewhere I read that If I fill the TM.X form for my bike with all the details, engine n., chassis n. etc. then they will not ask for a green book...is that right?

Apart, as per info on various forums:
- passport with re-entry visa + TM form for myself (standard procedure)
- filled forms for my bike
- translate reg. plate from transport office - please advise if Im correct
- malaysian insurance (purchased in Sadao) - where exacty is the building located?
- anything else?

Appreciate your helpful answers.

Thanks a lot and ride safe all.

BlasteriK

Cheers all,

Reading all valuable info on exporting a Thai registered motorbike out of Thailand but still did not find the exact information I am looking for.

My motorbike is registered on MY name when purchased, BUT...I did not find any information about crossing the border when the bike is not paid off completely (still having loan from the bank), therefore there is no Green Book, nor a copy of it to present. I have the purchasing contract, service book, Thai insurance card and Bank contract on my name but not the book.

Is it still possible to cross the border to Malaysia for few days and back? Anyone experienced it and what kind of documents I have to present instead?
Somewhere I read that If I fill the TM.X form for my bike with all the details, engine n., chassis n. etc. then they will not ask for a green book...is that right?

Apart, as per info on various forums:
- passport with re-entry visa + TM form for myself (standard procedure)
- filled forms for my bike
- translate reg. plate from transport office - please advise if Im correct
- malaysian insurance (purchased in Sadao) - where exacty is the building located?
- anything else?

Appreciate your helpful answers.

Thanks a lot and ride safe all.

BlasteriK

Hi,

I have been in January this year in Malaysia and if I recall it right there ist no stress at the check point it self. I went at a Sunday to Sungai Kolok. Monday morning I went to an Insurance Office in this town and it took 1 hour! for 3 things: Translation of my green book, Insurance and 2 stickers for my bike. Thai efficiency! After this I went to the check point, got my (german) passport stamped and I believe the Thai customs did not ask for anything. Then drove to the Malay check point, got my passport stamped and was in. The Malay immigration or customs did not ask for any document....they are quite relaxed.

The question is: how you get an insurance without green book and what kind of official document you need to translate, because in case of any accident you do need something in English.....all the Thai documents are useless abroad of Thailand.

I would check if you can contact such an insurance office..... attached you can find the address and the 3 documents they have created....

Greetings Andreas
footer.jpg

WP_20160710_17_35_42_Pro.jpgWP_20160710_17_36_05_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom