Temp Import or rent?

NKPBob

Bikes
CRF 450R
I have a load of questions so I'll start with trying to figure out what to do about having a bike on my "great adventure". The first thing to figure out is should I try to bring a bike with me from the USA, or just rent. I'm still not sure how long I will be in Thailand and Laos so that adds to the question.

So... tell me what I need to know. What do I need to have for a drivers license (Thailand and Laos)... insurance? Other paperwork?

Should I rent? In Thailand? Laos? What do I need to have to rent?... Credit card? Cash? Deposits?

I appreciate any words of wisdom you experts can pass on.

Bob
Memories of Naked Fanny

So... tell me what I need to know. What do I need to have for a drivers license (Thailand and Laos)... insurance? Other paperwork?

You need a valid motorcycle license to be legal. In Thailand you must have basic "CPTL" insurance to be legal (700 bht P.A). Laos highly advisable to get insurance.

Should I rent? In Thailand? Laos? What do I need to have to rent?... Credit card? Cash? Deposits?

If you're not sure how long then rent? Lot's of great value, Thai assembled, modern bikes available in Thailand at realistic prices (The new Honda CB 500 X - 216,000 bht for instance). Temporary import is not a hassle if you regularly go to Laos.

Renting for Thailand, you leave your passport as guarantee, if you take it to Laos then you leave a cash deposit.

More on temporary importing below:

Red Tape - Border Crossing Requirements

Thanks KTMPhill... great information. I'm still "digesting" all the info in the link you provided on Red-Tape Border crossing Requirements so I'm just thinking out loud with the next questions...

Does anyone have any experience crossing back and forth from Nakhon Phanom to Thakheak? Is there anything special I should know about. (This seems to be a logical crossing for going to the Ho Chi Minh trail.)

I speak almost no Thai, and even less Laotian. How much problem am I going to have at border crossings... in Thailand & Laos in general. (I hope find someone to ride and explore with that knows their way around most of the time, but there may be times when I want to venture out on my own.)

Would I be better off not trying to cross back and forth with a rented bike? I.E. Rent a Thai bike while in Thailand, and a Laotian bike when in Laos. The drawback of this is of course is "walking" back and forth between countries which probably would only make sense for the Nongkhai to Vientiane crossing. (Of course, "walking" to Nongkhai could be a problem.) So... any ideas and comments would be welcome. Even "crazy farang" is ok.

Last question of thousands to come... Are there bike rental "deals" for longer than "per day" available? I will likely be renting something like a CRF/KLX 250 or even an older XR as long as it is reliable for some "adventurious" riding.

Bob
Memories of Naked Fanny

Crossing back and forth from Nakhon Phanom to Thakheak is no problem when you re in a car but on a motorbike most probably will give problems as motorbikes are not allowed to cross the bridge. Don't ask me why as I won't be able to answer that. Some people have crossed with a bike so it is possible but much depends on who is on duty and if that person is willing to help. Crossing with a bike from at the Nongkhai/Vientiane crossing seems to be OK at the moment but generally bikes are not allowed on the border crossings where you have to make use of a bridge. The Bungkhan to Pakxane border crossing (north of Nakhon Phanom) is a ferry crossing where bikes are allowed.

The next problem you have is that either the bike needs to be in your name or you need to have written permission from the owner to take the bike out of the country which, in the case of a rental bike, may be problematic as most rental agencies don't allow their bikes to be taken out of the country. For more info see here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...bike-border-crossings-bike-not-your-name.html

I would say that your best bet is, in case you don't want to buy a bike, is to rent a bike in Thailand for travel in Thailand and when in Laos to rent a bike there. There is a direct international bus service between the bus stations in Nakhon Phnanom and Thakheak (between Udon Thani/Nongkhai and Vientiane and probably a few other places like Mukdahan and Savannakhet) so that should not be a real problem.

Yes, you can rent bikes for a longer period and normally in that way the rental prices will be considerable lower then when you rent on a day-to-day basis.

Back
Top Bottom