Selling/buying a bike Legal stuff

alexuk

i couldn't see a thread on this so..

Legal side of buying/selling a Thai reg bike in Thailand

1, What visa/s do you need to buy a bike here and transfer the green book to your name?

2, What visa/s do you need to sell a bike here and transfer the green book to buyer's name?

3, What other forms/documents do you need?

4, Where /how do you do the transfer?

5, Do both parties and the bike have to be there at the time?

6, Anything else I should know?

As a general rule of thumb to buy or sell these days you need..

A visa
A letter of Residency from Immigration
Green book if you're the seller

I usually do it at the Nong Hoi Bike tax office.
Wait for the VIN number and book to be checked by them and then hand over the cash.

Same if selling too.

All offices might not work the same way but the above does at CM but there will probably be people who have done it differently.

You might not need a visa if you are buying new through a dealer.

As Lew says, the problem is they dont apply consistent rules. Can be different per office or per day.. Or even per person.

Lately its been.

1) Any visa, even a 30 day visa exempt stamp.. But has to be current. You need a letter of residence though and some immigration's wont give them for 30 day stamps.

2) Any visa, even a 30 day stamp same. Must be current, if the seller gives you paperwork with only a few days left on their entry, you can have unsolvable problems.

3)
A ) Letter of residence or work permit, or yellow house book. Both buyer and seller in many LTO's
B ) The transfer forms signed.
C ) If seller (or buyer) is not coming to do the sale with you the power of attorney forms
D ) A bike inspection pass.. This is possible to do at the LTO but also possible outside at 'yellow cog' places I am told.

4) Any Land Transport Office. In CNX I think they have bikes and cars separated. Cars on the main hang dong Rd and bikes out by the holiday inn.

5) Neither party 'needs' to be there if you do the power of attorney forms, in that case an agent can handle it totally without either party or one part can handle it alone. Without them both parties must be present.

6) Patience..

Alex - there was a thread in March - "Selling a Motorbike"

I posted this there:

1. I have a yellow Tabian Baan, and a photocopy was all that I needed to furnish. The buyer was here on a 30 day tourist visa. We stopped at Immigration first. He was told that they would not give him a Residency certificate on a 30 day stamp - he had to have an actual visa from a Thai Consulate or Embassy. So, it is possible that your visa may be enough to get a certificate from Immigration.

2. We went to the British Consulate. They issued a certificate for him with a 30 day stamp in his passport. Cost was almost 3000 baht. We used a copy of my yellow book for his address.

3. He wanted to get a Thai license as well. What you can do is take the original of the certificate to one office for the transfer, and they will certify a copy of the certificate so you can use it at the second office for the license. No need to get 2 residency certificates.

I have no idea how long a certificate from the British Consulate is valid for, since we were using his immediately. The one from Thai Immigration is only valid for 30 days. You may have a problem if you have someone selling the bike for you after you depart.

So - as for your questions:

Legal side of buying/selling a Thai reg bike in Thailand

1, What visa/s do you need to buy a bike here and transfer the green book to your name?

You can buy a bike on any visa - even a 30 day.

2, What visa/s do you need to sell a bike here and transfer the green book to buyer's name?

As the seller, I was not asked to show a visa - just proof of residency.

3, What other forms/documents do you need?

Obviously the green book. Residency certificates for buyer and seller. In my case, I had a Yellow Tabian Baan, the buyer had to get one at the British Consulate. Immigration would not give him one because he was here on a 30 day visa.

4, Where /how do you do the transfer?

The MV office in Nong Hoi. The office on Hang Dong Road will tell you to go there.

5, Do both parties and the bike have to be there at the time?

In the past, the seller could sign a power of attorney and the buyer could go alone with all the documents. The form is available at the MV office (in Thai only). Not sure if that is true today.

The bike has to be there to verify that the frame and engine numbers match the green book. My bike was registered in Chiang Mai, and they had an index card with the history of ownership of my bike AND a photo of the bike model.

6, Anything else I should know?

You have to wait overnight to get the green book back.

And, of course, these were my experiences last December. TIT - yours may be completely different.

Good luck.

So I should attempt to get a Certificate of Residence before trying to sell a bike?

So I should attempt to get a Certificate of Residence before trying to sell a bike?

It will only be valid for 30 days....but they take 2 weeks to get from time of submitting paper work.

Best to have one for a quick sale but be prepared to get another if not.

They are free anyway and best to apply before 12.

Pick up times for them are after 1.

Lew, Last time I got a Residence Certificate I picked it up next day- free

^ my experience is from March this year.

Before that,in Jan,it took 5 days.

Previous to that i have also been able to collect them next day.

Keld and Phil also done this recently.. and from immigration it is now a longer wait.. I think 7 or 9 days even..

For a few months they stopped giving them out at all !!

Thinking back my LoR may have been 12 days with maybe a holiday in that period.

5555555555 unbelievable.

Only 4 months ago i had to provide one with the sale of my Click.

5555555555 unbelievable.

Only 4 months ago i had to provide one with the sale of my Click.

Yeah crazy as you didnt used to need one, and they absolutely demanded one from me last year..

Back
Top Bottom