Selling A Motorbike

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
I noticed a letter in the Bangkok Post yesterday from an English guy complaining about the multiple O visa for the over 50s but not on a pension no longer being available and looking at the Thai Consulate website it may appear to be true.
I understood this was needed to get a letter of residence to register a bike and whenever I have sold one I am always asked for my passport to photocopy the visa.
If on future visits I am only on 60 day tourist visas will it still be just as easy to sell my bike or will this present a problem?

Its totally dependent on your local immigration.. Some dont care (as long as you pay) others ask for a long term lease, yet again others demand your on a non imm.. Seems totally variable.

However UK embassy can always issue one at a couple of 1000b and a trip to bangkok.

But what about the people who dont have an embassy here (Libya I know doesnt) what do they do ??

- - - Updated - - -

Also.. CM DMV were demanding a sellers letter of residence also.. Some DMVs didnt seem to need the sellers in the past but again its hit and miss.

I have never been asked for a letter of residence when selling a bike, only a photocopy of the visa in my passport

Increasingly it seems so.. One was demanded of me (from the seller) when I bought a vehicle doing it at Chiang Mai DMV..

It never used to be needed on Phuket, but when I told people this a few chimed in that it is currently being asked.

Is it nationwide ?? Is it always needed ?? What happens if someone bought the vehicle while having a visa and no longer has one ?? All questions that are hard to answer.

I guess worst case scenario is I can hopefully always get a letter of residence from the British Consulate. Can they issue them on a tourist visa or do they require a non O visa to issue them?

I understand the consulate will issue them on anything.. Even 30 day stamps.

They did down south anyway but not been off a visa for a very long time so can say I have done it personally.

I will worry about it when the time comes to sell it

Colin - I sold a bike to a Brit a couple months ago. Here is what went on in Chiang Mai.

1. I have a yellow Tabian Baan, and a photocopy was all that I needed to furnish. The buyer was here on a 30 day tourist visa. We stopped at Immigration first. He was told that they would not give him a Residency certificate on a 30 day stamp - he had to have an actual visa from a Thai Consulate or Embassy. So, it is possible that your visa may be enough to get a certificate from Immigration.

2. We went to the British Consulate. They issued a certificate for him with a 30 day stamp in his passport. Cost was almost 3000 baht. We used a copy of my yellow book for his address.

3. He wanted to get a Thai license as well. What you can do is take the original of the certificate to one office for the transfer, and they will certify a copy of the certificate so you can use it at the second office for the license. No need to get 2 residency certificates.

I have no idea how long a certificate from the British Consulate is valid for, since we were using his immediately. The one from Thai Immigration is only valid for 30 days. You may have a problem if you have someone selling the bike for you after you depart.

1. I have a yellow Tabian Baan, and a photocopy was all that I needed to furnish.

The yellow tabien baan always can be used to replace residence requests, as the residence request is to tick the same box as a Thai tabien baan. I had one when I had the Phuket villa, but got lazy as I didnt think I would stay in this rental home as long as it seems I am. Very handy as it saves messing for licenses and vehicle tasks.

I will worry about it when the time comes to sell it

You could probably get a letter or lease agreement from Phil to say that you have a lease for a room there for the period of your visa/stay in LOS and i think they'd give you a LoR with that.

That's what a Russian guy who was staying at a guest house i bought a bike off in Phuket did.

You could probably get a letter or lease agreement from Phil to say that you have a lease for a room there for the period of your visa/stay in LOS and i think they'd give you a LoR with that.

CNX were demanding a long stay visa recently, I know Phuket were always different but thats the way these offices are all 'decentralized power'..

Tho saying that CNX were not issuing them at all only a little while back, and now are again. So it really is luck of the draw.

they ar emaking a catch 22 tho, as they demand a letter of residence for a seller, and the place that issues them demands a visa.. So if your visa expires ?? Has no one thought of this ?? Easy to say go to your embassy (but expensive for some) but not all countries run an embassy here.

Probably someone on here that has tried to get a LoR with a TV at CM imm. recently.

I think it is/was possible.

I think I remember Keld saying he had to contact his embassy / consul for this reason for the duke.. And hes still not reggo'ed the Ducati so must be a reason..

Will ask him why ?

====

Kelds saying they can issue it on a TR, but theres a 8 - 10 day delay on the immi paper and a 20 plus day on the plate issue, and they wont issue if the 30 day has expired (surely its valid at time of submission but ?!?!) which screws up his timing with being in and out of the country.. But they do issue them again.

With an 8 - 10 day wait on the paper.. Then a 5 day wait on the book / name change.. Or even a couple of weeks if province change that needs a new plate.. Sure makes selling a vehicle for a farang a long drawn out process these days. Add in any grey book issues or fear it doesnt actually work and theres some trust / payment issues if its not with someone you know well.

I remember doing these and going back for the book updated 2 days later.

I just recently got a LOR from Chiang Mai immigration for yellow tabien bahn application, so they are issuing them and my visa was expired/stamped out the country at the time!

I noticed a letter in the Bangkok Post yesterday from an English guy complaining about the multiple O visa for the over 50s but not on a pension no longer being available and looking at the Thai Consulate website it may appear to be true.

Is that the 1 year multiple entry retirement visa you're referring to ?

Have they changed the rules, and if so, do you have a link to that info ?

I got a LoR from CM imm. last week.Had to wait 2 weeks for it from day of submitting form,pics and photocopies.

Is that the 1 year multiple entry retirement visa you're referring to ?

Have they changed the rules, and if so, do you have a link to that info ?

I think Cap might be talking about non imm O's from Hull..

Basically they used to give non imm O's for visiting friends and family without any documentary backup.. As such if someone applied for an over 50's (retirement) visa they also used to give them out without any documents too.. I am guessing the thinking being if the same visa didnt need proof for everyone why do we need proof for the over 50's.

Last year they stopped giving any one a non imm O annual multi entry without proof of 'family' if you have a wife you can use that, if you have a Thai cild you can use that, and if you have a sibling resident on a long stay visa I am told you can use that too.. If you dont have those the under 50's now cant get a 1 year visa just for asking.

The over 50s can still get a retirement visa issued but they have to show the same things you need to show in thailand to get one.. Namely a solid pension income (not just shares but dividends can be used) or a lump sum. The Thai amounts are 65k a month and 800k a year or any combo of the 2.. I dont know what Hull feels is acceptable in amounts.

The visas are still there, but the burden of proof has been tightened.

That's what a Russian guy who was staying at a guest house i bought a bike off in Phuket did.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just be careful. I had to pay the immigration fine last week, on behalf of the guest house, for non-notification of foreigner even though it was 2 years ago and the guest house is family owned so make sure you dot your i's.

I think Cap might be talking about non imm O's from Hull..

Basically they used to give non imm O's for visiting friends and family without any documentary backup.. As such if someone applied for an over 50's (retirement) visa they also used to give them out without any documents too.. I am guessing the thinking being if the same visa didnt need proof for everyone why do we need proof for the over 50's.

Last year they stopped giving any one a non imm O annual multi entry without proof of 'family' if you have a wife you can use that, if you have a Thai cild you can use that, and if you have a sibling resident on a long stay visa I am told you can use that too.. If you dont have those the under 50's now cant get a 1 year visa just for asking.

The over 50s can still get a retirement visa issued but they have to show the same things you need to show in thailand to get one.. Namely a solid pension income (not just shares but dividends can be used) or a lump sum. The Thai amounts are 65k a month and 800k a year or any combo of the 2.. I dont know what Hull feels is acceptable in amounts.

The visas are still there, but the burden of proof has been tightened.

It looks as if you need to be in receipt of a state pension to get the non O now rather than just showing a monthly work income or a lump sum in the bank.

The consulate in Hull used to issue the multiple Non O but it says they can now only be issued by the Thai Embassy in London

It looks as if you need to be in receipt of a state pension to get the non O now rather than just showing a monthly work income or a lump sum in the bank.

The consulate in Hull used to issue the multiple Non O but it says they can now only be issued by the Thai Embassy in London

A Pretty narrow definition of pension if they only count state.. Loads of people have private..

Yes a lot of people have private ones that they can take from the age of 50 but it does say 65 and a state pension so who knows.
Tourism is on the wane because of the problems which will cost Thailand money and now they seem to want to make it harder for people to get long term visas.
I guess it will benefit other more forward thinking SEA countries like Malaysia which actually welcomes tourists with open arms.

Colin - I sold a bike to a Brit a couple months ago. Here is what went on in Chiang Mai.

1. I have a yellow Tabian Baan, and a photocopy was all that I needed to furnish. The buyer was here on a 30 day tourist visa. We stopped at Immigration first. He was told that they would not give him a Residency certificate on a 30 day stamp - he had to have an actual visa from a Thai Consulate or Embassy. So, it is possible that your visa may be enough to get a certificate from Immigration.

2. We went to the British Consulate. They issued a certificate for him with a 30 day stamp in his passport. Cost was almost 3000 baht. We used a copy of my yellow book for his address.

3. He wanted to get a Thai license as well. What you can do is take the original of the certificate to one office for the transfer, and they will certify a copy of the certificate so you can use it at the second office for the license. No need to get 2 residency certificates.

I have no idea how long a certificate from the British Consulate is valid for, since we were using his immediately. The one from Thai Immigration is only valid for 30 days. You may have a problem if you have someone selling the bike for you after you depart.

Bob I think its valid for a year from the British Consulate.

I am currently on a years Non O visa so if I want to sell the KLX before I go home I will sell it next week when I return to Chiang Mai.
The English speaking mechanic at Kawasaki indicated there are ten buyers for every secondhand one for sale as he is fed up with people asking him if he knows where they can get one and told me to let him know if/when I want to sell it.

If getting a Non O is a problem now I will just get tourist visas and obtain my LOR from the British Consulate, if I had to take a day off work to go to the Thai Embassy in London to get a Non O it would also work out cheaper on the tourist visas

Has anyone any idea of my bikes value? registered november 2011, good condition, well maintained with 75,000 km on the clock, tax, compulsory and 1st class insurance included

On another forum a D-Tracker was sold for 82.500 baht, with 24.000 KM on it.

Never seen one with a plate going for less than 70, but seen quite a few KLX and dtrackers in the 80s range asking prices these days.

With those KMs anything over would be good for you I would think.

Back
Top Bottom