Selling a bike or Buying one?

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Today we completed the transfer of ownership of my frequently sold Africa Twin and I can confirm that the Chiang Mai authorities insist on proof of residency from both buyer and seller.

Being Flexible Thailand though there are probably ways around this that I'm not aware of!

For as long as I have been here this has always been the rule, at least here in Phuket. You need to have minimum a non-immigrant visa of some kind, as well as a paper from the immigration office stating your address. This basically just means you go to the immigration and tell them where you live, after which they write that on a form and charge you whatever they see fit. I have even been told "Up to you..." when asking what the fee was.

2wheels said:
Today we completed the transfer of ownership of my frequently sold Africa Twin and I can confirm that the Chiang Mai authorities insist on proof of residency from both buyer and seller.

Being Flexible Thailand though there are probably ways around this that I'm not aware of!

Congrats on the sale Ron & congrats to Robert, the new owner

Rons AT.jpg

Hi Tom,
Maybe it varies a bit between Provinces.
I sold a D-Tracker a couple of years ago and only the buyer needed to show residency at that time.
Maybe it also depends on the day and the person behind the counter!

I sold a bike a few months ago in Chiang Mai and they only asked for the buyer to prove their address!

2wheels said:
Maybe it also depends on the day and the person behind the counter!
And whether it's a full moon, don't forget.

Loop said:
I sold a bike a few months ago in Chiang Mai and they only asked for the buyer to prove their address!
As with a lot of things in this country, it's often a case of YMMV. I remember a case of a bike that had belonged to a Singaporean guy who had long since departed. Getting the name changed on that one required a bit of legwork and some 'sweetening'. In most cases you will probably be able to get away with the seller just providing a copy of his passport.

Tom said:
For as long as I have been here this has always been the rule, at least here in Phuket. You need to have minimum a non-immigrant visa of some kind, as well as a paper from the immigration office stating your address. This basically just means you go to the immigration and tell them where you live, after which they write that on a form and charge you whatever they see fit. I have even been told "Up to you..." when asking what the fee was.

Having done 10's of vehicle transfers on Phuket I have never had to get a residency paper from the seller before, only buyer.. Thats cars big bikes (other problems) and so many scooters I forget how many, the missus used to rent them.

CM pulled this 'from the seller' scene with me last month, and then the Bangkok immigration refused to give the seller a cert even tho hes on non imm visa status (dont ask.. just fucking run around)..

EDIT :: Mine was a semi special case where the vehicle transfer boss lady lost face by making it loud and clear trailers could not have a road registration book, that they could not be registered, until I pulled out the existing bangkok registration.. Hence it was then her job to make my life hell.

Back
Top Bottom