RTW rider looking for a friend in Thailand

i have been riding around the world on my motorcycle for the past 18 months. &nbsp;i am coming to Thailand at the end if this month.<br>i dont know anyone there.<br>i need some help with buying a Honda CRF250L and getting the title transferred.<br>it would also be nice to have a safe place to stay for a couple of days until i can get the motorcycle and all the paperwork completed.<br><br>check out my ride report below on Adventure rider. &nbsp;it has almost one million views so far<br><br>http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801516<br><br>i hope to hear back from you<br><br>Ed

AdventureRider.com: The Leading Adventure Travel Site on the Net

Hi Dutchman, your link does not work for me.
Are you a fellow Dutch man? Always welcome in Chiang Rai for a chat and a cup of coffee.
Did you manage to get the CRF?

i dont know why i am not able to post my link here.
but if you go to AdvRider, my name is
flyingdutchman177

My ride report is called

Around the world in 800 days

just look under the ride reports section of AdvRider and my ride report is generally near the top as i get one hit on average every 30 seconds.

i started in So Calif where my home was
headed north to Alaska then south to Argentina
after that, Europe
and now Asia

i am still looking for a CRF and i need help
i am planning to be in Thailand next week
i dont want to be ther without a bike fir too long
please help if you can
thanks

Hi Ed, I did see the thread after some effort.
So you want a CRF, for how long do you need it?

i want to spend 5 months this season, store the bike for a few months and then come back for 4 months next season
i do not want to rent
i want to get this one bike set up the way i want with bags, gps and electrical connections
it is going to be my home for a while.

Ed, as you have noticed there are not many CRF's for sale second hand.
Your best bet would be to buy a new one, did you look into the requirements for registration of the bike in your name?

yes, that is why i thought it would be best to buy a used ine
i unddrstand that the dealer will not even sell me a bike until i have residency and that takes a week at best
and then i will not get the plates or tags for a month which will make it difficult to cross border i reckon

this shouldnt be so hard
i have the money
i just want to fly in
buy a bike and start riding
i dont want to rent
there has to be an easier way to get a CRF and starting riding right away.

Ed, This is Thailand (t.i.t.) ;)

Send me a PM with your e-mail address, so we can discuss off forum.

i have nothing to hide and everything to gain from your help or anyone else that can help
i have had a couple of people try to scam me already.
i have already traveled half way around the world so i am not falling for those tricks
lol

edwardbach@yahho.com

send me a private message if you can help

thanks

Riders corner in Chiang Mai is a superb source of information and spot to land..

To own any bike legally in your name you will need to get a residency paper (address confirmation). That may need to come from your embassy or may come from immigration but I am not sure if Chiang Mai are issuing them to people on tourist visas (will you have a tourist or non imm visa) ??

The transfer process on a second hand bike is likely to take a week or so, as long as the bike is already registered in the province your in. Buying a new bike can take much longer to be fully legal in your name.. A month or more while it is on a red restricted plate.

I would also mention the KLX seems a stronger better built bike than the CRF to me.. Probably more on the market also. Now isnt the best time to be looking for a bike as all the rental companies will be geared up for high season. After the season stock gets sold off.

I bought a second hand scooter in Ho Chi Minh City for $400 and gave it to a charity in Hanoi at the end, after about 3 - 3.5k km of riding there. Not legal, of course, because they don't recognise foreign licences or international licences. No hassles though. I just carried the registration papers in the previous owner's name. I could have rented in various cities for less... but the scoot gave me the freedom to explore in between. No way of getting it across borders though... and very few people get in to Vietnam with their own bike. It normally entails having a paid guide with you the whole time.

I had a Carnet for Indonesia and Malaysia - but organised that in my home country (Australia). There were no problems going Indo -> Malaysia, but there were problems about 15 months ago in the opposite direction (Navy stopped a boat and demanded US$4k for the bike on it). Not sure on the current state of that. Check with Cakra Enterprises in Penang.... the shipping agent.

^^ Yes check with Mr Lim but last I read he had stopped doing any Malay -> Indo shipping on the onion boats even with carnets.

Kawasaki KLX 250 and 140s sold in Indo at OK prices now. Other small bikes like Yammie 150 and some pulsar type things possible too.

^^ Yes check with Mr Lim but last I read he had stopped doing any Malay -> Indo shipping on the onion boats even with carnets.

Kawasaki KLX 250 and 140s sold in Indo at OK prices now. Other small bikes like Yammie 150 and some pulsar type things possible too.

Yeah. I posted about that a while back, along with posting up his contact details, but these things are fluid. Always worth a phone call, even from Europe (pick the right time for him). The search function should throw up that post ... indeed it does, along with a long discussion of this issue.

004-9.jpg

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/indonesia-ride-reports/3954-ride-sumatra-thailand.html

Riders Corner inside the Moat seems to be the Epicenter of motorcycling in Thailand as well as the world
Never know who's going to stop by. Always a room there for a reasonable cost and several dealers near by to get your new bike at.

i spoke with Phil at riders corner.
he gave me some tips but what I really need is for someone to step up and tell me something like........

hey ed, i have a buddy that wants to sell his CRF. i will introduce you two when you arrive in Thailand.
plus i can help you transfer the title, get your residency permit and Thai drivers license. and then we can go riding and i can show you the best of Thailand.
maybe i am just dreaming but i would be forever greatful
and as a ten year Baja tour guide, i will hook that person up when they come out west and show them the best of Baja.

Well if Mr Bach doesn't chase this one up, i know several people that will, nice find Auke.

Hi
I bought a CRF new last Dec. I was on a triple entry tourist visa and needed to get a residence cert from CM immigration near the airport.
They wanted the oficial 3 month condo rental agreement to issue one. This year I have nothing commercial to show but want to get a licence so am looking into alternatives.
It took @ two months for the papers and three months for the plate to arrive, during that time I was restricted to Thailand, so second hand may be the best way to go.
I am in CM for a while, PM me and I will help if I can, or possibly point you to someone with more experience.
Tim.

Glad to see you get on the board for some guidance Lolo.

As discussed I'll be in Cambodia during your first couple weeks but stay in touch and look forward to getting together.

All the best.

Team FTB on ADV Rider

First off, thank you all for responding and helping me out.
I have sent a message to the sellers for each of the CRF links you sent me.
I hope that one of these bikes will still be for sale when I arrive on November 30th.

Second, here is the link to my ride report on Adventure Rider.
I have visited about 45 countries so far in the past 18 months. Check it out

Around the World in 800 Days - ADVrider

The RR has almost 1,000,000 view so far

Your answers have raised more questions

It sounds like I am going to need to become a resident of Thailand to own a motorcycle there.
Does anyone know what I will need to do this?
Can any US gringo become a resident?
Do I need to show proof of a big bucks bank account?
Health Insurance?
Rental Agreement for a place to stay?
Anything more than a visa on arrival?

Same question to apply for a Thai driver's license. What do I need besides a few Baht?

Where do I find out where to apply for residency? Where do I go to register the moto in my name? Where do I apply for a Thai driver's license.

And I know these offices will vary by location. But I am looking for a motorcycle everywhere and anywhere in Thailand so once I buy this CRF250L, where would the easiest place be to complete all this paperwork?

And last, I am planning to stay tour around SE Asia for at least 5 months. I am not going to stay in one place for very long. But I understand that I will need an address for residency. Does anyone have an address that I can use so I can complete my paperwork and what I need to get done????
I am the real deal
Check out my blog on AdvRider
Almost 1,000,000 views to date

Thank you all again for your help and support

Lalo aka Ed

I am not sure I understand your question Brake.
I am from California. I might have some Dutch in me but not sure.
I call my motorcycle "The Flying Dutchman" after the opera by Richard Wagner with the same name

Send you yesterday, no reply but still complaining??

"XX,

There are several good suggestions on RA forum.
What kind of Thai visa do you have? This is important for the residency certificate made by Thai Immigration.

The guys in Chiang Mai are really willing to help, what is your flight schedule and will you travel to Chiang Mai?

I am scheduled to arrive in Chiang Rai (where I live) on the 7th of December, if you still need a bike by then I will help you buy one in Chiang Rai.

I was thinking, if you buy a new bike, you need to wait for a month for the book and plate.
During that period you can use the bike in Thailand, it will be a great time to explore this big country.
And by the time the plate is ready you have seen it all and are ready for the trips abroad."

Yep, that must be the Dutch in me.
I am very open and candid on my blog.
Of course I don't reveal all my secrets.
I save those for when we meet and have some beers (or wine)

I was just going to get a visa on arrival. I understand that they are issued at the airport for 30 days.
My flight gets in to BKK on either November 30th or December 1st. I am flying standby but I will be leaving Madrid on the 29th.
I was thinking that it would be better to find a bike in Bangkok as it is the biggest city in Thailand and there has to be a better section of used CRF's there.
But I will travel just about anywhere in Thailand to buy one.
My original plan was to buy a new one but after getting some advice, I think now it would be best to buy a used one. I really don't want to wait a month for the plate. And I understand it will take an additional week at the front end to get my residency.
My plan is to spend about a month in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos, then head to Vietnam (and if need be, rent or buy a scooter there for 2 or 3 weeks), then back to Thailand on the CRF, and head south to Malaysia and Indonesia. I would like to ride to Bali and then return back to Thailand and either sell the motorcycle or store it for next year. I have until the beginning of May where I plan to return to Europe and finish there on the BMW for next summer.
I am running out of time, but what I hope to do is this: fly in to Bangkok and start looking for a used CRF. I want to buy this motorcycle from a private party and get him to sign the releases that I take to the equivalent to the Dept of Motor Vehicles in Thailand to change title. I also want him to sign papers which will allow me to use the motorcycle and explore Thailand while the transfer is being made. During that time I can apply for residency and once I get that, I can transfer the ownership of the motorcycle in to my name and get a Thai drivers license. I hope that all this can be done within a 2 week period so I can bring the motorcycle out of Thailand and continue my tour.
I hope this explains my intended plans better.
If I am not understanding the situation clearly, please let me know where my plan is flawed.
Thanks

All I am trying to say is that I am really doing this and I am coming to Thailand next week and I plan to ride around SE Asia for the next 5 months. I have already been traveling for the past 17 months on a motorcycle.
I am trying to get information before arriving so I can make better decisions

Would be good to see you walk the talk, see you next week!

I was just going to get a visa on arrival. I understand that they are issued at the airport for 30 days.

I am running out of time, but what I hope to do is this: fly in to Bangkok and start looking for a used CRF. I want to buy this motorcycle from a private party and get him to sign the releases that I take to the equivalent to the Dept of Motor Vehicles in Thailand to change title. I also want him to sign papers which will allow me to use the motorcycle and explore Thailand while the transfer is being made. During that time I can apply for residency and once I get that, I can transfer the ownership of the motorcycle in to my name and get a Thai drivers license. I hope that all this can be done within a 2 week period so I can bring the motorcycle out of Thailand and continue my tour.

Do your self a favor an get a proper visa in whatever place you are as you are asking for problems when buying a bike and having only a visa-on-arrival stamp in your passport. No need to wait till you are in Bangkok as you can now already look at BahtSold for CRF's in Bangkok and you can contact the seller through BahtSold to set up a meeting to have a look at the bike. Remember that here in Thailand not everyone speaks English so you may have to bring someone who can help translating things for you when you go to see/buy the bike. Hope that helps and good luck with the CRF hunt.

Yeah, it might be too late to get a visa. I am in Lima Peru now. I fly to Madrid for a day on Wednesday and then in to Bangkok after that.
I checked, there is a embassy here in Lima so if they can turn it around in a day, then I will get a visa. Otherwise, I will have to add it to my list of things to do when I touch down in Thailand.
I have contacted every CRF seller that I have found. I have a line on one in the eastern part of the country but the guy doesn't speak English so it might make things interesting.
In case anyone is wondering, I already have all my suitcases packed.......well it is more like a suit case and a givi top case packed.
And I am still looking for someone to help me in Bangkok. I am not sure where to stay or where to begin when I arrive, but I am sure I can figure it all out myself. It just would be quicker having someone that lives there and speaks the language.
Thanks

Yeah, it might be too late to get a visa. I am in Lima Peru now. I fly to Madrid for a day on Wednesday and then in to Bangkok after that.
I checked, there is a embassy here in Lima so if they can turn it around in a day, then I will get a visa. Otherwise, I will have to add it to my list of things to do when I touch down in Thailand.
Thanks

As far as I know you can not convert a Visa-on-Arrival (which actually is not a visa) to another type of visa. You will have to leave the country and enter with the right type of visa.

This can sometimes be a negative in getting letters of residence or ownership things..

Get a visa.. double or triple entry tourist would suffice.

I was thinking that it would be better to find a bike in Bangkok as it is the biggest city in Thailand and there has to be a better section of used CRF's there.
But I will travel just about anywhere in Thailand to buy one.

Bangkok might be a huge city.. But not so many big bike riders.. Theres bikes all over, many many in the north as its kind of a ride mecca.

I want to buy this motorcycle from a private party and get him to sign the releases that I take to the equivalent to the Dept of Motor Vehicles in Thailand to change title. I also want him to sign papers which will allow me to use the motorcycle and explore Thailand while the transfer is being made. During that time I can apply for residency and once I get that, I can transfer the ownership of the motorcycle in to my name and get a Thai drivers license. I hope that all this can be done within a 2 week period so I can bring the motorcycle out of Thailand and continue my tour

In theory this can work.. In practice you have a lot to do in the first few days when language and culture shock is at its highest.

I really think the Indo portion is going to be expensive and difficult.. Carnets, shipping, corrupt Indo official (of whom I have hard experiences) etc etc.. Your also trying to bite off an awful lot of ground for a few months travel.

Otherwise, I will have to add it to my list of things to do when I touch down in Thailand.

Getting a visa means leaving the country and applying for one in an embassy or conslate OUTSIDE of Thailand.

Your putting the cart before the horse. Get a visa.

Getting a visa means leaving the country and applying for one in an embassy or conslate OUTSIDE of Thailand.

Your putting the cart before the horse. Get a visa.

This is correct. Get a Thai 60 day (extendable for an additional 30 days - ie 90 days in total) tourist immigration visa BEFORE you arrive in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom