Myth Busting - Best 'RTW motorcycle, "Adventure Motorcycling" defined

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
Secrets released. The July seminar content, proprietary to the sponsor www.aerostich.com, has been existentially, eclectically and ecclesiastically released. Answering questions and dispelling adventure motorcycling myths can be found here by going to the September, 2023 Rider On The Month description and therein their Youtube channel:

Adventure Motorcycling - Term's Morphology - Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

The book, ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLIST, defining "adventure motorcycling," is available via Amazon. The "good book" shown in the companion image below can be found free in many hotel and motel rooms around the world. The author and his team of researchers for ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLIST agree with Dr. Hunter S. Thompson who admitted he had "stolen more quotes and thoughts and purely elegant starbursts of writing from the Book of Revelation than anywhere in the English language." (Quote from GENERATION OF SWINE, copyright 1989, Hunter S. Thompson)

On page 7 of ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLIST is a true recounting of meeting with Thompson, titled "An Adventure With Dr. Gonzo."
Good Books (600 x 450).jpg

Dr. G
Professor of Motorcycle Adventure, SOUND RIDER magazine, and Adventure Motorcycle University
Moto-Journalist, author, script consultant, and motorcycle wastrel
Sole sexual survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerally.com

Last edited:
Adventure motorcycling seems to be changing with social media. The increase in "help, I'm in South America, where can I get a new tyre?" posts is quite stunning.

"Seems to be changing..." LOL

Here's how a 21 year-old American motorcycle enthusiast who publicly claimed he wanted to become an adventurer 111 years ago this month ( October, 1912) and took on the niche of globe trotting motorcycling long before Facebook, etc. were a sperm-of-socail-media-creators, thinkers or users:

First RTW Motorcycle Adventurer - Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURER BOOK COVER (385 x 600).jpg

Note in his photo on the cover of the historical publication above his GPS, GoPro, Smartphone, Laptop....ahhh, errr no. He does have a camera and a typewriter in the luggage on the back. He also had one gear, but did not have a front brake...did 18,000 miles in 11 months on that Henderson motorcycle as he circled the globe, and also carried a six shooter.

Dr. G
Professor of Motorcycle Adventure, SOUND RIDER magazine, and Adventure Motorcycle University

Last edited:
In the planning for the first around the world motorcycle adventure, tires were of concern. Not having a smartphone, social media account or support team of "fixers" back home a satellite phone call away, Clancy noted in the Prologue section of MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURER in 1912:

"Pains have been taken to insure an adequate supply of tires...throughout the entire journey. As Europe is well dotted with supply stations, Egypt, India, Burmah (sp), China and Japan were our only concern. To make sure of tire supply we have arranged with the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company to ship to us at various points."

Having traveled extensively in Myanmar (Burmah) by motorcycle myself, I suspect if I did use social media it would still be a significant challenge to find tires for 90% of the marketed "adv" type motorcycles within the country boundaries/borders in 2023....an Enfield might be an exception.

Dr. G

Last edited:
Adventure motorcycling seems to be changing with social media. The increase in "help, I'm in South America, where can I get a new tyre?" posts is quite stunning.
You mean the bike shop in your average Peruvian fishing village doesn't have 19cm wide tyres for my Multistrada????

You mean the bike shop in your average Peruvian fishing village doesn't have 19cm wide tyres for my Multistrada????
I did manage to convince my daughter to bring some tyres up to me as I was passing through Bali. My Super Enduro was a large consumer of rear tyres.

Dr. Thompson worked hard at his craft (worsmithing), and part of that craft included the element of being WTFOT.

There's an old saying that you should never meet an author whose work you admire(d). I'd first read Thompson's works in ROLLING STONE magazine in the 1970's, got hooked with his FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, then his rants about President Nixon. I'd skipped HELLS ANGELS.

I describe my first and second meetings with him in the book ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLIST. You can read "free" that chapter on AMAZON in the book description if your a follower of Gonzo Journalism. The short contact the second time was memorable, but diminished my adoration for him as a personality - second meeting he was pissing on his shoes, the wall behind the sink and splashing on my motorcycle boots in the Men's Room, Hotel Jerome, Aspen, Colorado. At that point in his life his WTFOT element had far exceeded his wordsmithing skills.

As for an "amazing experience," I'd describe both more as memorable, and motorcycle adventures (I was wearing motorcycle boots the second time). Neither would I want to experience again, especially the one where I was trying to quickly cut-off my flow, zip-up and back away from his flying hosed urine in the small, one urinal WC while he was attempting to use the sink.

Dr. G

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom