Ride and Camp in Kampung Bukit Mat Daling

MohdRashidin

Bikes
1994 Honda Shadow 2013 KLE 650
Kampung Bukit Mat Daling is a traditional malay village settled in the area of headwaters of Tembeling river, near Pahang – Terengganu border. It is growingly becoming a popular destination for adventure riders as the road leading from Kuala Tahan to this village is entering its 2nd phase of construction as the first phase to Kampung Pagi is almost completed.

The original plan is enter this village through Kuala Tahan and exit through Sungai Tekai and Tekam Utara through logging road as shown below.

Mat%2BDaling%2BTekam.jpg

However when we reached Mat Daling and asked a few locals about this plan, they advised against using that exit route since it is rarely used by the locals and with many unmarked junctions that can be dangerous to a first-timer like us without a proper backup. So we use the same route getting in and out of Mat Daling last weekend.

Overview.jpg

I have discussed the possibilities of doing this route with Syahril almost a year ago but haven’t initially agreed on a date. Only after riding to Pos Kuala Mu earlier this year, the urge has become more and more real and despite a few date setbacks we have finally fixed the ride.

We converge at BHP Karak on Saturday morning around 7.30am and the weather is hazy and foggy.

DSC_0520.JPG

The morning ride is covered with fog and probably haze

DSC_0523.JPG

We reached Jerantut around 9.45am and refilled before departing to Kuala Tahan through Felda Padang Piol.

DSC_0527.JPG

This area had a good tarmac with nice bends.
DSC_0533_1.jpg

DSC_0531_1.jpg

DSC_0535.JPG

DSC_0539.JPG

We had a breakfast at this roadside eatery and Syahril tasted their special menu here - roti canai GST.

DSC_0544.JPG

Kedai Kome @ My Place at Kuala Tahan - ask for Roti Canai GST
DSC_0545.JPG

It is almost 11.00am when we entered this road.

DSC_0546.JPG

Camera check!
G0017124.JPG

Halfway through Kampung Pagi, this unfinished road section has big and loose gravel, so we had to reduce our tire pressure to ride through.

G0017204.JPG

DSC_0548.JPG

G0017344.JPG

The construction of the road is active when we passed through.

G0017443.JPG

G0017559.JPG

G0017576.JPG

When completed, it could be one of the most beautiful road in Peninsular Malaysia.

DSC_0549.JPG

We stopped by Bukit Botak and chatted with this worker that is trying to get phone signal under this small shade.

IMG-20150920-WA0003.jpg

The day is very hot and humid and we have to stop several times to take some water and rest.

IMG-20150920-WA0002.jpg

DSC_0551.JPG

There are small sections of the road with very slippy wet mud surface and I fell two times

G0028487.JPG

IMG-20150920-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20150920-WA0008.jpg

After about 3 hours, we have finally reached Kampung Bukit Mat Daling and stopped by a grocery shop. It is here that we found a refrigerator filled with iced-drinks and it felt totally out of this world!

DSC_0552.JPG

Catching my breath, felt like having heat stroke!

IMG-20150920-WA0013.jpg

We found a campsite by the river, about 1km ahead of the grocery shop. Here is the coordinate.

DSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

Syahril had a major leg-cramp just as we are going to set up tent, so he went for a natural therapy session.

DSC_0560.JPG

From 5.30pm untill 6.30pm we heard loud thunder from the sky around us. Heavy rain could washed out our camp site..

DSC_0555.JPG

However we are so blessed that night, with no rain until the next morning despite the continuous loud thunder in the sky.
On the menu for dinner is meat curry with tomatoes, spicy squid (all fresh from can) and coffee.

DSC_0563.JPG

Later that night we chat and chill watching campfire. The sounds of river streaming and fauna around us filled the night. Syahril was reluctant to sing despite a few requests made..

DSC_0579.JPG

Around 11.00pm we retrieve to our tent and called it a day. At 3.00am I heard loud water splashing and footsteps around our tent. A couple of buffalo herds crossed the river, making loud water splash in the process. I really thought that it is wild boar charging into our tent. Loud snoring filled the tent nonetheless.

The next morning, we had instant nasi lemak for breakfast
DSC_0593.JPG

and I had extra instant noodle for energy boost.

DSC_0595.JPG

The riverbank is covered in mist as the sun rises, something you can't see everyday. Note the buffalo footprint on the sand near Syahril's bike.

DSC_0584.JPG

As we are packing, a group of local kids came with the their bicycles.
DSC_0596.JPG

Syahril handed them some chocolates and chips that really cheered them up.

DSC_0597.JPG

I fell again, that morning from unbalanced weight of side panniers and on-site repairs are needed to fix my DRL.

IMG-20150920-WA0026.jpg

We stopped by the same shop and fill up our tanks. Petrol is pumped manually here at RM2 per liter.

DSC_0603.JPG

Syahril had local groupies surrounded him

DSC_0604.JPG

After a few quick photography session, we ride out of the village around 11.00pm.

DSC_0602.JPG

We exit through the same route as yesterday.

G0048744.JPG

Buffalos are free to roam these areas
G0068894.JPG

G0068953.JPG

We stopped by Bukit Botak again
G0079235.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

One of the highest peak, en route Kampung Pagi, elevation 360m

DSC_0610.JPG

One of local school available here with considerably good amenities

DSC_0612.JPG

We stopped by Kuala Tahan for lunch at this floating restaurant by the jetty. Food were average here.

DSC_0615.JPG

We went back through the same route and reached Gombak rest area around 4.30pm.

DSC_0616.JPG

We are fortunate to have good weather during this ride because we are on 10% offroad - 90% road tires and it could be a big problem if it’s raining.

The incomplete route is a solid reason to return to this village but to all adventure and nature lovers, it is a perfect place to go and camp.

Credits to Syahril Zulkifli for all action camera (Go Pro) pictures

###Originally posted on myridinguniverse.blogspot.com####

Rashidin - A big thank you for posting this - really enjoyed it and had a good laugh about this picture - Four Wheels only to Kampong Mat Daling - well 2 bikes with 2 wheels makes 4 wheels:

Four wheels only.jpg

Must be quite a remote area as on the video I only counted 2 or 3 cars on the same road you guys were riding.

Some great photos from an interesting part of Malaysia.

I spent a week in Jerantut last year and loved it

Great report, especially liked the muddy sections and campsite location.

Congrats and well done guys to make it to Mat Daling. This off road track will not be there for long as road works continue to progress. So count yourselves fortunate to have done this before it becomes a memory. I would suggest that you guys make another attempt and complete the route exiting at Tekam Utara as you initially planned. However your heavy bikes would be better off on 50:50 tires. Once again .. well done.

Yes sir that is why i blog about my journey. These roads or even the bike may not be there for long but the memories remains!

Back
Top Bottom