Poor 60csx Reception

AlexUSA

Bikes
XR280R, Dash 125 (supercup) , DT125
I got my 60csx replaced by Garmin a few weeks ago with a new unit. I took it up to Mae Hong Son last weekend and had great reception, maintaining a signal in deep forest even inside a fanny pack for literally hundreds of kilometers.

Riding this weekend, my signal has been terrible. I can't get a fix unless I have no foliage above me and even standing next to a building usually obstructs any signal. And it loses the satellites once I'm no longer holding the unit out away from my body. However, I can pick up 6-7+ satellites at full strength if I'm holding the unit up and I'm in an open space.

But it's worthless in the forest.

The antenna looks perfect, the unit is basically new. I don't have a lot of experience with different GPS units. Could this be normal or due to the really overcast weather? Anyone else using a 60csx around here with success the past few days? Is there some setting I need to change?

I'd try the hard reset
save all your data first.
no problems with mine
It can take a while to get a fix in a new area, but once its working it never stops
Here's a couple of results I googled- I take no responsibility for the outcome!!
if you hold down QUIT, MENU, ZOOM OUT while POWER-ON you get a Master-Reset of the device
When using the above Q+E+O+P method, one has to hold all buttons down, for about 10 seconds, for it to clear all. No indication of what is going on in the unit. If it dosen't clear all, hold down longer the next time.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=240412

Switch the unit off.
Press enter & page and while pressing those two buttons switch the unit on.

That's the master reset. You have to let the unit switched on for lets say 20 to 30 minutes with good skyview, so it can download the current almanac.

Alex, I also noticed that your gps clock was a couple of hours out when you went to PAI I dunno what difference that makes tho

Just checked my 60CX and it got a lock on satellites in no time while i was inside my apartment so there seems to be something wrong with your unit. Try the method AlexUK mentioned as it might help. However, as Alex is also mentioning that your GPS had the wrong time it could well be that the internal battery is dead. This battery keeps the clock running in the GPS so that the next time you switch it on, the "almanac knows where to look for the satellites".

Have seen some posts on how to change this battery and will search for them but better try first the Hard Reset and keeping the GPS in the open for at least half an hour so that it can load the almanac. Check again after a day or two and see if the GPS is keeping the correct time or not.

Definitely something seriously wrong with the unit now I think. Did a hard reset and no improvement. While it was searching for satellites, it asked me if I wanted to continue and I tried the "new location - automatic" option. Unit restarted and does not go beyond the blue startup "GPSMap 60CSX" screen. However it seems to be doing something as it still pops up the "continue searching?" menu now and then.

All software up to date according to Garmin WebUpdater.

Time to contact Garmin, I think.

I am in the process of getting a new GPS but will go for a 60CSX as I already have a 60CX and the power cable and ram mounts are the same whereas if I buy a 62 I have to replace all of them plus I hear that the usb power cable isnt as good as the 4 pin plug on the 60

Just driven back from Ubon with it in the car and not on the dash either, worked perfect, sorry to say I think yours has a problem. Personally I have never had a problem using the mini USB connector for power on the bike but then I dont ride off road. I would think some 'Blue Peter' fixes would solve any problems with the USB power connector?

Back
Top Bottom